Skip to content

[Utility] EE Autoroller

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    CrimsonKaine said: CaloNord said:Weirdly I'm still getting the 'Character not found' error every time?

JumboWheat01 said:I've been having problems with the latest version of the auto-roller. It's not that it SOMETIMES fails to find the character, but it does so nearly ALL the time. I have been running it with administration rights.

Ratatoskr589 said:I don't know if anyone is still checking/updating this, but I'm getting the same issue as JumboWheat01 in BGEE 1.3 The autoroller just never works.

I think I found the problem. At least in my case, anyway. I was using the Steam overlay to show the frame-rate of the game. I know literally nothing about how the auto-roller works, but from what I could glean out of other comments in this thread, the program needs it's "vision" so-to-speak to be completely unobscured. Meaning that any program providing a visual overlay to the game (Steam in my case) keeps it from getting the information it needs.

Could somebody who understands the software in greater detail please confirm?

I don't understand the software, but I can confirm that th game has to be unobscured. Every version has been like that. The reason why nowadays you have to click on all three buttons is because there are so many different layouts of the game.
  • BrutaleBentBrutaleBent Member Posts: 36
    Appreciate the utility! But I've got a question - is there any difference using EE Autoroller, instead of EE Keeper to set stats as desired, that I don't know of?
    The main difference is that you are using an actual roll. You are just speeding up rolling and don't have to be there at the time.

There is therefore no danger of getting other stats wrong which could happen using EE Keeper.

With EE Keeper you could get stats which are virtually impossible. If you run Auto-roller whilst making a coffee, the stats will be such as you could get manually, but just a bit quicker. You could abuse it and have it running over-night, but I personally wouldn't do that. Others can do so if they want.
  • BrutaleBentBrutaleBent Member Posts: 36
    Ahh, so it's a matter of integrity. Thanks for the answer, mate. ;)
  • RogueBurgerRogueBurger Member Posts: 1
    I seem to be getting the character not found error as well. I've turned the steam overlay off, but that didn't seem to help.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @RogueBurger - I had that error every time. Running the autoroller.exe as an administrator seem to have been the solution, 'cause now it works for me.
  • SrenSren Member Posts: 24
    God bless you for this script! I sometimes reroll so much my eyes start to glaze over and then I curse myself for missing a high roll because of it
  • CreadanceCreadance Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem when creating a fighter type, what do I need to do to or put in the str portion to ignore % I tried 100% but I say I had a 94 with 100% but when x to stop it was gone with a 88 and 100%. This has happened almost every time.
    This is an old problem. I was told a number of years ago that this is due to a misreading. When the program saves, it saves the correct amount, but shows the incorrect number whilst rolling. This is frustrating I know.

However if you look in your roll log you will find that your 96 with 100% isn't there. I have found that doesn't happen very often, but if you leave it running a long time, overnight for example, there is a greater chance of one of these misreadings occuring.

I never run it for longer than the time it takes to eat a meal and have found that I don't have any problems. I usually set the % at 90 and get some pretty good rolls.

You could just use EE Keeper to make the character have that 96 with 100%, remembering of course to update your bonuses after doing so.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    There's a gap between the values changing and the tool recording the values.

Note that this tool was created before the 2.x patches. With the 2.x patches out there, it can be recommended to use an in-game auto-roller instead, which will work a lot smoother.
    edited May 2018
    Thels said:There's a gap between the values changing and the tool recording the values.

Note that this tool was created before the 2.x patches. With the 2.x patches out there, it can be recommended to use an in-game auto-roller instead, which will work a lot smoother.

Is there an in-game Auto-reroller, or are you suggesting that one be made?

@Creadance I see your point that it SEEMS to be impossible to roll anything above 88 for a fighter. I've rolled higher for Fighter/Clerics with no problems. You do have to remember however that it takes an exponentially longer time as you make the requirements higher and it will take on average 10 times longer to roll a 96 with a +90 strength than a 96 with a +100 strength.

EDIT

Without using the re-roller I have had a roll of 92 with +89% strength. I am thinking now that the problem is just that a LOT of rolls will be needed if you want a roll of 94 with +100% strength. @Thels has explained what causes the duff readings better than I could.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on

Is there an in-game Auto-reroller, or are you suggesting that one be made?

Several different versions exist. This package includes one:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/962872/#Comment_962872

Some UI overhauls, like Pecca's Dragonspear UI, also include their own auto-roller, often with more options, but they require you to install the full UI package, which may not be what you want.
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Has anyone had a problem in newer versions of windows, where somehow it ‘selects’ the abilities and goes to the next screen? I can’t let run overnight as it goes to that next screen.
    Kennis said:

Has anyone had a problem in newer versions of windows, where somehow it ‘selects’ the abilities and goes to the next screen? I can’t let run overnight as it goes to that next screen.

I have Windows 10 and the only issues are other programs which open up. I have learnt to close youtube, not just pause and hide it due to the fact that it unpauses without my consent. I have run it for hours without a problem.

I suspect that you have a problem with your mouse doing things without your consent. It might not be anything to do with Windows.
  • foma_mgppufoma_mgppu Member Posts: 115
    I love you!
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153

Ahh, so it's a matter of integrity. Thanks for the answer, mate. ;)

I agree.

With EEKeeper, it's sort of like "Where does it end?". Give yourself all 25s, 100% MR, why stop anywhere?

Rolling the dice for a great character and saving a decent number to make due with what you could've rolled yourself.
    This mod is basically just a time-saver doing what you could have done yourself if you had the time to do so. :) That's the reason why I have no compunctions about using it.
  • KolivaKoliva Member Posts: 27
    @Freche Thanks! Are there any plans to add an open-source license to the code?

I've made an autoroller for ToEE based on this codebase a while back, but without a specific license in place, I can't publish it.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2018
    the program definitely has a weird bug/glitch in it. The "highest roll" number listed on the program, does not always match the actual roll in the game. I don't know if there is a mismatch between numbers in the code or the program is hitting "store" one last time before I tell the program to stop, but the numbers definitely aren't always matching up. I say "not always," because sometimes it does work. It seems to be random.

Every now and then you get a false roll on the autoroller. What you get on the right is correct. You will discover that from reading the log. It is annoying, but sorry, nothing to be done about it other than using a different re-roller.
    There's a small delay on the autoroller picking up the new values, which means sometimes a new roll could have been issued. Slowing down the reroll speed reduces the chance of that happening.

If you're playing a 2.x version, using a mod that includes an in-game roller would be way more efficient!
    edited December 2018
    I think that I'll try one of them.
    @Thels has suggested the answer which I will probably use in MY next set-up. I don't want to risk messing things up mid-game.
    The suggestion that Thels made earlier is found here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/962872/#Comment_962872

Which leads to this:

https://github.com/r-e-d/EEUITweaks/releases

I haven't tried it yet, so I have no idea whether it works!!!
  • DainankDainank Member Posts: 6
    If you use this, does it still allow you to gain achievements?
    @Dainank Yes, it does. Mods in general don't prevent achievements in the EE games, and this is not even a mod. It's something that moves your mouse, and passively scans game memory. The game won't even know you used it.
  • DragobscurDragobscur Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2021
    Hello , so I've been trying to use the Autoroller on BG1 but keep getting the "character not found" error , which , from what I could glance , seems to be due to me launching the game via steam , does anyone know how I could possibly get around this issue ? Also , might be a link with it , but every window in the "exceptional strength" field is written ERROR...
    Post edited by Dragobscur on
    First of all read this as you probably need DLC Merger:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/1640916564828507423/
    Ok thank you , although I can't find the DLC merger , and don't know how to use it either , when I tried to follow the steps of the modmerger executable , as it is what is described in the link you provided ,it simply said that the .key files aren't scripts from the register , how can I solve that ? I kind of know nothing about modding games that way...
    Alright so I went all the way , ran the DLC merger installer and merged all available DLCs (opt 3) then tried opt 1 , yet the no character found issue still subsides. I am at a complete loss...
    I'll go through it one step at a time with you as I think that will be easiest.

Before you set the roller going, you need to reach this stage as far as creating the character is concerned:

4y9culby9g6u.jpg

Have you got that far?