Skip to content

IWD II!!!!!

IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
I really, really want to play IWD 2. It's my favorite game. I was thinking I would buy it from GOG but a cursory glance at their forums shows that it will have a really hard time running on my PC. This is maddening.
Dev6

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

RaduzielGusindaFinneousPJ
  • IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
    :D
    Dev6
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Iamdorf said:

I really, really want to play IWD 2. It's my favorite game. I was thinking I would buy it from GOG but a cursory glance at their forums shows that it will have a really hard time running on my PC. This is maddening.

If you can't play it, how did it become your favorite game?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i bought it ( last year? ) from GoG and it ran perfectly fine ( im using windows 7 )
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Gusinda
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Iamdorf, along with the BG series and IWD, IWD2 is a permanent install. I have run it on various systems from Win XP (CD Version) through to Windows 10 (GoG version) [except Windows Vista which only lasted 2 days on my PC before I threw the disk against the wall] and although there were some problems on Win 8, most can be worked around.

For the price, I wouldn't let a few comments from stopping you trying, and as chimaera says you could use the GoG refund policy (30 days if you are not aware).

If you have probs, just explain what they are and we can see if work arounds can be given. The most common problem is the DirectDraw driver which does a pretty good job in the GoG release and if the GoG driver doesn't work for your system, there are others available.

Game on
    Gus
    ThacoBellIamdorf
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I run Windows 10 and it works for me. I've successfully run it on Vista and XP as well.
    Iamdorf
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I have the original retail version and it works perfectly with W10. I am playing it right now and I am having a great fun!
    Iamdorf
    I want IWD2EE SO BADLY!!!
    IamdorfronaldoBelgarathMTHGrammarsalad

If you can't play it, how did it become your favorite game?

I played it years ago when it was on game vault and bought the cd for it. I haven't played it in years and when I last installed the cd (which I couldn't with my current computer) it wouldn't play.
    So Aedan and any others who play it. Do you have any trouble using custom portraits (they're my new obsession)?
    Nope, I use custom portraits and they work fine!
    I also use the Widescreen mod and it runs perfectly.
    IamdorfGusindaKenji[Deleted User]
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited September 2018
    I normally don't like joinable NPCs in my IWD playthroughs (from mods), but the IWDII NPC Project mod from Gibberling 3 is a special exception.
    It's relatively well written, caters to most types of party setups, and have either pg-13 friendly or mature themes depending on what you're looking for. The modular nature of the adapted 3E in IE engine makes the "NPCs" a lot easier to customize, too.
    I do prefer to use the stock voice set over the provided ones for the NPCs, however, as some of them break the 4th wall sometimes (a big no-no for muh atmospheric and immersive IWD runs).
    A few areas to look out for that lags like American crowds lining up in front of shops on a Black Friday would be the Horde's Fortress as well as "The Guardian" of the Jungle of Chult. For "The Guardian", set it up so it faces a certain direction all the time to reduce a tremendous amount of lag.
    Really wish BD would have found the source code and make IWDII:EE already. I'm serious when I say I dream about it from time to time only to wake up realizing it isn't a reality.
    IamdorfMirandel
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    IWD2 lag is absolutely unbearable if you've been rolling with EEs for years. Unplayable.
    I am playing IWD2 in these days.
    I can feel the difference with the EE, sure, but the game is good and definitely playable nonetheless IMHO.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    bleusteel
    The game crashes because it cannot handle my beauty. Makes sense.
    [Deleted User]