Skip to content

[MOD] EEex (v0.10.2-alpha)

BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
edited March 27 in UI Modding

Overview

EEex is an executable extender for Beamdog's Enhanced Edition of the Infinity Engine. Its goal is to externalize certain parts of the engine to grant modders a greater degree of control over otherwise hardcoded mechanics.

EEex's core component does not make any gameplay changes itself – it merely enables other mods to do so. The installer provides additional components that make gameplay changes.

Compatibility

Operating systems:
  • Windows — Yes (native)
  • Linux — Proton / Wine with the appropriate option toggled in InfinityLoader.ini
  • MacOS — Wine? (untested)
Game versions:
  • BG:EE v2.6.6.0, BG2:EE v2.6.6.0, and IWD:EE v2.6.6.0 — EEex versions ≥ v0.9.0-alpha
  • BG:EE v2.5.17.0, BG2:EE v2.5.16.6, and IWD:EE v2.5.17.0 — EEex versions < v0.9.0-alpha
Dependencies:

Download

The latest EEex version can be downloaded from the Releases page. The installer is located under the collapsible "Assets" menu.

A WeiDU installer has been intentionally omitted from the master branch to prevent it from being accidentally installed, as it contains work-in-progress features and is not guaranteed to be stable.

Installation

EEex is distributed as a Gibberlings3 installer. After running the setup file, simply point it to your game directory and click "Install".
  • Older versions of EEex are distributed without the Gibberlings3 installer. Extract the archive's contents into your game directory and run the setup file to install.
Please note: The game must be started using InfinityLoader.exe / EEex.exe after installation; any attempt to start the game using the vanilla executable will result in a crash. If InfinityLoader.exe fails to start, please ensure you have installed the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

Stability

While crashes are extremely rare, they may still occur. If you encounter a crash, or a bug with EEex, please report the issue to EEex’s GitHub Issues page or EEex’s thread on the Beamdog Forums.

When reporting, please:
  • Upload:
    • WeiDU.log — This is in your game directory.
    • A save that exhibits the issue — Saves are found in C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\[game folder]\save. Zip the entire save folder.
    • (If applicable) The generated crash .dmp — This is usually found in C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition\crash.
  • And:
    • Provide a series of steps that reproduce the issue.

How EEex Works

EEex uses a loader program to modify the game's executable after it has been placed into memory. The exact modifications depend on the version of EEex, and any installed mods that make use of EEex's capabilities.

Due to EEex's use of in-memory patching, antivirus solutions might flag InfinityLoader.exe / EEex.exe as a virus. This is a false positive.

Please note: The following links are NOT intended to be used for installing EEex. The loader programs are bundled with EEex and are automatically installed alongside it.

Documentation

EEex makes extensive use of the EE Lua environment, with most of its functionality implemented as Lua code. Features include new Lua functions, opcodes, scripting actions, triggers, and objects. Please see the EEex Documentation for an overview of EEex's features.

The above documentation is a work in progress. If you wish to contribute, visit the contributing page for details.

Post edited by Bubb on
lefreutKilivitzGusindaRaduzielswitFlashburnGrammarsaladmirandirALIENAnprionsaJuliusBorisovfortysevenOlvynChuruPeccaUlbAndreaColomboDoubledimasRik_KirtaniyafearlessNostarielAbelAdulStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaakIseweinlolienjmaeq_DD_rami

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2018
    I think that externalizing the amount of Fatigue would open a whole new world of Psionic-like mods. @subtledoctor and @Grammarsalad were requiring this, IIRC. Be able to see the current amount of Luck stacked would be nice too.

If possible, I would like to have some more information about Saving Throws in the combat log (bonuses, penalties and displaying the roll no matter if you failed or succeeded). It is painful to know if a modded effect is working or not because requires tons of trial-and-error to make a poor estimative (as you can see in a discussion here)
    FlashburnBubb
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Is it possible to have the UI aware of hte currently active character? For example, If I'm on Imoen, can the UI perform an Imoen specific action?
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    All those 3 new functions will be very useful. Keep up the good work.
    Bubb
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    Raduziel said:

I think that externalizing the amount of Fatigue would open a whole new world of Psionic-like mods. @subtledoctor and @Grammarsalad were requiring this, IIRC. Be able to see the current amount of Luck stacked would be nice too.

@Raduziel: I believe Fatigue externalization would be covered by one of kjeron's broader requests: "- Get value of characters stats (from STATS.IDS)." Just to make sure, would this satisfy what would be necessary for Psionic mods, or is the ability to set Fatigue also required?
    Raduziel said:

If possible, I would like to have some more information about Saving Throws in the combat log (bonuses, penalties and displaying the roll no matter if you failed or succeeded). It is painful to know if a modded effect is working or not because requires tons of trial-and-error to make a poor estimative (as you can see in a discussion

I agree that this would be very useful. I've already attempted to find the save checks in the exe, but they are currently eluding me. The way that they print the Save vs. x is delayed, meaning I can't just use the string to track the location of the check. I'll keep working on it.

Is it possible to have the UI aware of hte currently active character? For example, If I'm on Imoen, can the UI perform an Imoen specific action?

@Aquadrizzt: Depends on what sort of action you are talking about. I believe either the currentID or id field already externalizes the character id of the currently selected party member, (or if multiple party members are selected, the one in the highest portrait slot). You can use this id to access the characters table, but not much else. Could you clarify what actions you are wanting to do in relation to a selected party member?
    swit said:

All those 3 new functions will be very useful. Keep up the good work.

@swit: Thank you! :). Me working on this hasn't stopped me from looking into the other features, btw.
    kjeron said:

If any of these are possible:
    - Get value of characters stats (from STATS.IDS)
    - Get is set of characters spellstate (from SPLSTATE.IDS)
    - Get characters EA/GENERAL/CLASS/RACE/ALIGNMENT/GENDER/ALIGNMENT IDS index (as opposed to their current string references).
    - Get Memorized spell table of characters.
    - Get Known/memorized spell tables for innate abilities.
    - MemorizeSpell(level,"resref"), as opposed to the current MemorizeSpell(level,index), same for Unmemorize.

@kjeron: Very good list; they appear to all be possible. I'll get to work on them.
    Raduziel
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I'm not familiar with LUA, but is this platform-independent bytecode, or are you talking about editing platform-dependent binaries?
    [Deleted User]Bubb
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Bubb If you have the ability to set it, I don't see why not. The more options, the better.
    Bubb
    @AstroBryGuy: Currently I am directly modifying the Windows binary assembly. I believe I will have to find another way of modifying the Mac and Linux binaries, but I haven't looked at this yet. Now that you have brought up that point, I am doubting whether the way I am going about this is the best. I'll investigate how to edit the Mac and Linux binaries...
    @Bubb, mostly I'm wondering if it possible to customize user interfaces to different classes. For example, adding a shapeshift menu above the hotbar for druids, or a toggleable button for rage (or fighting styles). Basically, adding UI elements that are only present when the currently selected character would have access to them. Thinking about it further, being able to change the UI interface based on the class/race/whatever of the currently active character opens up the possibility of soft-coding the hotbar...
    BubbFaydark
    I am still working on all of your suggestions, but just to update you guys I've made another very powerful function:

Infinity_DoString(chunk) - Runs whatever LUA code is embedded in the given string. Self-modifying code anyone?

switGrammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2018
    ...Infinity_GetLocal(creatureID, local) - Returns the value of the given local variable on the creatureID. Can be used in conjunction with the previous command to get local values of PCs.

Oh, this is awesome!

Edit:

@Raduziel: I believe Fatigue externalization would be covered by one of kjeron's broader requests: "- Get value pointof characters stats (from STATS.IDS)." Just to make sure, would this satisfy what would be necessary for Psionic mods, or is the ability to set Fatigue also required?

I'm not sure about psionics-- you would need to ask @subtledoctor about that-- but I would be so super happy with @kjeron 's list. So +1 to that
    Bubb
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited August 2018
    I've been working on some new scripting triggers / actions in an attempt to make AI scripting much more powerful, and I wanted to outline some of that here -

New triggers / actions (they are implemented as both):

Bubb_LUA(S:Chunk*) - Runs some LUA code provided by the given string. The trigger version of this checks the "trigger" LUA boolean after running the chunk, and succeeds if it is set to true.

Bubb_StoreObjectStat(S:Variable*,O:Object*,I:Stat*STATS) - Stores the provided stat from the given object in the defined LUA variable.

Bubb_StoreGlobal(S:Variable*,S:Global*) - Stores the given global into the defined LUA variable.

Bubb_StoreLocal(S:Variable*,S:Local*) - Stores the given local from the provided object into the defined LUA variable.

And perhaps the most important change of them all is the ability to dynamically override triggers / action parameters at runtime. This is accomplished by setting special LUA variables, here's an example of how it works:

The above script brings the XP value of the script owner to the exact value of Player1's XP.

I believe this system is good already, but I wanted to ask you all a question: is there any other triggers / actions you can think of that would help expand it even further? Any other information types you would like to be able to store... etc.

Edit: Oh, and I haven't ditched all of your UI suggestions. I'll implement them after I've finished my scripting stuff, (which I'm almost done with, btw).
    GrammarsaladswitFlashburnCrevsDaak
    edited August 2018
    Bubb said:

I believe this system is good already, but I wanted to ask you all a question: is there any other triggers / actions you can think of that would help expand it even further? Any other information types you would like to be able to store... etc.

One thing that would be helpful is an "exclusive or" trigger (since you're asking). That is, a trigger that works exactly like OR(x) but only returns true if 1 but not more than 1 of the following x lines is true.

Also, totally out of left field: spell exclusion flags:
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28382

Now, bit 14 excludes trueclass bards/sorcerers/mages. Unfortunately, unlike with mage kits, it also excludes bard kits. Would it be at all possible to make it only exclude trueclass bards? That one thing would allow me to create a mod with bard exclusive spells, which I think would be fun. Also, is it possible to make those exclusions that don't work, work?

:smiley: Just figured I'd ask :smiley:
    swit said:

The above script brings the XP value of the script owner to the exact value of Player1's XP.

Just for perspective, the above posted code is an equivalent to fjxpmooc.bcs script from Level1 NPCs mod - originally 3000 lines (sic!). And those 3000 lines are not even close to match above precision. Bubb's lua stuff is revolutionary when it comes to EE engine scripting.
    I don't quite understand the significance, except that I'm excited that you're so excited. Lol
    Raduziel
  • MoonWolfMoonWolf Member Posts: 23
    What is the performance impact of one of your custom functions, especially the arbitrary lua evaluation compared to normal script functions ?

I realize that the EE engine on the whole is not nearly as prone to it but I'm still a little concerned that we might have the old stutter bugs again when a lot of these things are being called at once.
    edited August 2018
    I don't quite understand the significance, except that I'm excited that you're so excited. Lol

well, you've requested this trigger in your previous post:
    One thing that would be helpful is an "exclusive or" trigger (since you're asking). That is, a trigger that works exactly like OR(x) but only returns true if 1 but not more than 1 of the following x lines is true.

it's not really needed because this is already possible with Bubb_LUA (Bubb, correct me if I'm wrong). For example this OR section:

OR(2)
    Global("LoveTalk","LOCALS",5)
    Global("HateTalk","LOCALS",10)
    can be rewritten like this to work as you requested:

Bubb_StoreLocal("myVar1",Myself,"LoveTalk")
    Bubb_StoreLocal("myVar2",Myself,"HateTalk")
    Bubb_Lua("if myVar1 == 5 and myVar2 == 10 then trigger = false elseif myVar1 == 5 or myVar2 == 10 then trigger = true else trigger = false end")
    trigger = false means that the Bubb_Lua will return false and end the block. For easier understanding here is the above Bubb_Lua trigger code with formatting instead of 1 line (it's normal lua code)

if myVar1 == 5 and myVar2 == 10 then
    trigger = false
    elseif myVar1 == 5 or myVar2 == 10 then
    trigger = true
    else
    trigger = false
    end
    Alternatively, if you're doing lots of checks like this in your scripts you can for example prepare M_*.lua file with pre-made function that will do above mentioned stuff and just call it like this instead of repeating the same code over and over:

Bubb_Lua("trigger = exclusiveOR(myVar1, 5, myVar2, 10)"
    This is just an example, far more complicated stuff can be done with access to lua from within BCS.
    Post edited by swit on
    Grammarsaladlolien
    @Grammarsalad: I'll look into whether what you listed is possible. :)

@MoonWolf: I am watching performance very closely to make sure my new functions don't impact the game. You are correct in that I am currently having the engine compile and run the LUA chunk every time it executes it; not very efficient, but the engine actually does this itself in several places as well. To test performance I spawned 500 creatures running my script, and I felt no noticeable slowdowns:

If problems do occur with arbitrary LUA execution I can easily have a script shove all the LUA code into a M_*.LUA file, and change my Bubb_LUA() function to execute already compiled functions. This would mirror exactly how the GUI code works, so the game will run just as fast as it would without my functions in this scenario.

@swit: You are correct that an exclusive OR can be replicated with my Bubb_LUA() function, but I believe this would only work IF the triggers you are working with deal with fields that you can store. I believe @Grammarsalad wanted any combination of triggers to be dealt with in this manner. In this situation, I think a dedicated exclusive or is the only way. I'll look into it, but I don't know if I can accomplish that, as it has to do with changing how scripts are fundamentally processed.
    switGrammarsalad
    edited August 2018
    Yes, so I'm clear, I'm definitely looking for an exclusive or for any combination of triggers (though, it's definitely not something I would want to greatly delay the wonderful work you are doing here. It's just A convenience/sanity thing.I can always duplicate the functionality in other ways, e.g.:
    [Block 1]
    OR(3)
    A
    -B
    -C
    [Block 2]
    OR(3)
    -A
    B
    -C
    [Block 3]
    OR(3)
    -A
    -B
    C

Heh, it adds up :D

Edit: I'm really interested in the exclusion flag stuff, though...
    @Bubb, maybe I'm being dense, but does the xp example mean that the UI can now detect the stats of the currently selected character? Because that's revolutionary if it is the case...
    @Aquadrizzt: TLDR; Not by using the trigger / action in my example, but yes by using a dedicated LUA function.

The implementation you see in the XP example is a special trigger / action which could technically be used by the LUA environment by calling
    C:Eval('Bubb_StoreObjectStat("xp",Player1,STATS.XP)')The problem with trying to use Eval is that any concept of the "currently selected party member" is nonexistent.

The good news is that I have all of the internal shenanigans to do with fetching stats done, so all I have to do is implement a LUA-side function which uses a Creature ID instead of a Object IDS value. This way, you could pass currentID into the function and get the stats of the selected party member. It would work like this:
    local xp = Infinity_GetStat(currentID, STATS.XP)
    switGrammarsaladCrevsDaak
    edited August 2018
    That's awesome and opens up so much opportunity with respect to class UIs. Cheers.
    Grammarsalad
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    swit said:

Just for perspective, the above posted code is an equivalent to fjxpmooc.bcs script from Level1 NPCs mod - originally 3000 lines (sic!). And those 3000 lines are not even close to match above precision. Bubb's lua stuff is revolutionary when it comes to EE engine scripting.
    Just because I have a Bias (Opcodes > Actions):
    OUTER_SET XP_BIT_SET = row# // Add entry to SPLPROT: row# 44 -1 8
    OUTER_SET XP_BIT_NOT = row# // Add entry to SPLPROT: row# 44 -1 9
    OUTER_SET SPLSTATE = ids# // Add a new one to use
    COPY_EXISTING ~SPIN101.SPL~ ~override\XPMATCH.spl~ WRITE_LONG NAME1 ~-1~ LPF DELETE_EFFECT END
     FOR (k = 0; k < 24; ++k) BEGIN
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 2 parameter1 = (2**k) parameter2 = XP_BIT_SET duration = 0 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPBLCK%k%~ END
     END
     SET k -= 1
     LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 9 parameter1 = (2**k) parameter2 = XP_BIT_SET STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPBSET%k%~ END
     LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 9 parameter1 = (2**k) parameter2 = XP_BIT_NOT STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPBNOT%k%~ END
    OUTER_FOR (i = 23; i >= 0; --i) BEGIN OUTER_SET j = i - 1
     COPY_EXISTING ~SPIN101.SPL~ ~override\XPBLCK%i%.spl~ WRITE_LONG NAME1 ~-1~ LPF DELETE_EFFECT END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 318 target = 2 duration = 1 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPSETB%i%~ END
     COPY_EXISTING ~SPIN101.SPL~ ~override\XPMORE%i%.spl~ WRITE_LONG NAME1 ~-1~ LPF DELETE_EFFECT END
      FOR (k = 0; k < i; ++k) BEGIN
       LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 318 target = 2 parameter1 = (2**i) parameter2 = XP_BIT_SET duration = 0 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPSETB%k%~ END
      END
     COPY_EXISTING ~SPIN101.SPL~ ~override\XPBSET%i%.spl~ WRITE_LONG NAME1 ~-1~ LPF DELETE_EFFECT END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 318 target = 9 duration = 1 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPSETB%i%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 2 parameter1 = 0 parameter2 = 0 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPSETB%i%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 9 parameter1 = (2**j) parameter2 = XP_BIT_SET STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPBSET%j%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 9 parameter1 = (2**j) parameter2 = XP_BIT_NOT STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPBNOT%j%~ END
     COPY_EXISTING ~SPIN101.SPL~ ~override\XPBNOT%i%.spl~ WRITE_LONG NAME1 ~-1~ LPF DELETE_EFFECT END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 2 parameter1 = SPLSTATE parameter2 = 111 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPMORE%i%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 2 parameter1 = SPLSTATE parameter2 = 110 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPLESS%i%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 9 parameter1 = (2**j) parameter2 = XP_BIT_SET STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPBSET%j%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 326 target = 9 parameter1 = (2**j) parameter2 = XP_BIT_NOT STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPBNOT%j%~ END
     COPY_EXISTING ~SPIN101.SPL~ ~override\XPSETB%i%.spl~ WRITE_LONG NAME1 ~-1~ LPF DELETE_EFFECT END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 318 target = 9 duration = 1 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPSETB%i%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 104 target = 2 timing = 1 duration = 0 parameter1 = (2**i) END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 328 target = 2 duration = 1 parameter2 = SPLSTATE special = 1 END
     COPY_EXISTING ~SPIN101.SPL~ ~override\XPLESS%i%.spl~ WRITE_LONG NAME1 ~-1~ LPF DELETE_EFFECT END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 318 target = 2 parameter1 = (2**i) parameter2 = XP_BIT_NOT duration = 1 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~XPLESS%k%~ END
      LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 104 target = 2 timing = 1 duration = 0 parameter1 = (0 - 2**i) END
    END
    The target of "XPMATCH.spl" will have their XP increased (but not decreased) to match the casters XP.
    NostarielCrevsDaakGrammarsalad
    edited August 2018
    @kjeron: Wow, I didn't believe that was possible in the vanilla EE engines. Hopefully I am not wasting my time recreating too many things that can already be done...

Also, I've been working on some more scripting stuff:

The above script shows how objects can be stored and referred to using the LUA environment. The script doesn't really do anything other than having the script owner pick a random target once and then move to that object for all of eternity.

I believe this recreates IWD2's SetMyTarget action and MyTarget object.
    switGrammarsalad
    edited August 2018
    Just because I have a Bias (Opcodes > Actions):

@kjeron, while this is extremly impressive peace of code (like damn, I’m saving it right away - I’m sure something here will be useful for me in future) but the example XP matching code is something that can be written in a minute by anyone, while your opcode solution is a riddle that few people in the entire modding scene would be able to solve :) Let's say I'd like to match 75% of player1 XP for party members XP adjustment. With the above posted Bubb_LUA example code it would be a matter of adding:

Player1XP = Player1XP * 0.75
    Doing the same with opcodes would be another riddle.

@Bubb, absolutely fantastic.
    Post edited by swit on
    lolien