Skip to content

Stupidest things you have done in Baldur's Gate

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
So... I just found a cool potion in this game that reminded me of a story from way back when I was like 13. I found this really cool looking potion in one of the bandit camp rooms. It was called an "Oil of Fiery Burning".

"Sweet! Maybe I'll shoot fire out of my hands or become like the Human Torch or something"
gulp
"OUCH!"

BG can be crazy hard sometimes, and when you are young the enormity of the game can confuse you. I also remember being fatigued and thinking how lazy my characters were and another time being shocked that my potion of healing wouldn't cure my poison.

There are so many areas where you can just screw up in hilarious ways as a new player. I'd like to hear some stories like this. Come share your growing pains and have a laugh or two at your noob past selves
Post edited by booinyoureyes on

Comments

• RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    On a more serious note, the stupidest thing I have ever done is using the Lightning Staff in any other space then Outside in the open air.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Using AoE spells at point-blank range, killing most of the enemies and most of my own party (including CHARNAME).

"Oh ... I guess Fireball isn't party friendly. Duh..."

*Facepalm*
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2014
    @Montresor_SP, yes, now that reminds of that time waaaaay back.... Well not so long ago actually.
    In a no-reload playthrough, SCS Molkar & co (one of the toughest fights in the game IMO) had ambushed my group of four on the bridge to the Gnoll stronghold, which I think is the worst place imaginable to get ambushed, with no room whatsoever to manoeuver and with two Ogrillons who were obviously going to be on Molkar's side, waiting on the end of the bridge. I tried to disperse my group. Shar-Teel took care of the ogrillons in order to create an escape route. Kagain, my sturdiest fighter occupied the dwarf (Morvin I think) on the other end of the bridge. And the remaining two including my cleric tried to hold aggro against the remaining three opponents. I think I managed to 'hold' Molkar and finish him off. But their cleric and the mage were still going strong. Shar-Teel who by then had slain the orgillons managed to lure the gnomish mage (Halacon) toward her, and was getting the upper hand. But then Kagain was felled by Morvin. My thief (Mur'neth, a mod NPC) and charname directed all their attention to Morvin and managed to bring the dwarf down (probably with a backstab by Mur'neth), but it was a really close call. Charname was near death as well. So the first thing he did was to take a healing potion. He then saw skeletons summoned by the oter party's cleric approaching. Still at low health, my cleric decided not to risk himself in melee combat against the skeletons. Instead, and quite desperately, as he'd run out of useful spells, my cleric decided to use his necklace of missiles (which I never use and somehow expected to work like the ring of energy). Its 50 ft range 6d6 blast, sent all of us but Shar-Teel straight to the Nine Hells.
    Edit: come to think of it I think it was a group of fivem but Edwin doesn't really count cause he was slashed into pieces before he could "Manus" (let alone "Potentis Pa").
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    not me, but the dwarf in my multiplayer game drank the blood you get in durlag's without wearing the helm to be immune to fear. with our current spell arsenal we had a hard time finding something to regain control to exchange helms without resting to get them back, which we couldn't without regaining control.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Wand of fireball. In a small enclosed space. Point blank.
    It was my first playthrough, I didn't have any mages with the spell so I had no idea how it worked, and I never read the tool-tips. Whoops.
    I LOL'ed at 5! :D

Turning (killing) a demi-lich should be possible at very high levels, no?.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    simples said:

on my first playthrough i recruited branwen and thought she could change into a skeleton.

yes, that's what i thought "turn undead" meant.
    also, i only figured out how it actually works a year or two ago. womp womp

LOL. That one is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!
    Honestly I never knew what turn undead did until way later. I kept pressing it when I saw undead and nothing happened.

Another for me was my first time fighting trolls. "stoopd beest, y u no dye?????". One of the first times I looked something up online =/ :D
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Turning (killing) a demi-lich should be possible at very high levels, no?.

I think that they are immune, plus Anomen got Imprisoned before a round passed so I will never be sure.
    Wow @simples you just revived a memory I had blocked away in my subconsciousness... I thought the same thing initially. I thought wow, I wanna be a cleric. :D
  • CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    lol, that's a good one. I got my characters to level 4 once before realizing that HP were random. Xan had 8 hp and my protag had 7