Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    It's gonna be Christmas in Baldur's gate with your amazing work ^^
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited December 2012
    @neoesprit - Thanks, should have BETA 5.5 avail tomorrow night with the easy installer.
    Save/Load Screen for BETA 5.5:
    edited December 2012
    Going to be packaging and testing BETA 5.5 tonight for release tomorrow! After 5.5 release you can expect to see 6.0 with the silver-blue button set sometime in early 2013.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    That's nice. I like the characters on top.
    Archaic said:

Save/Load Screen for BETA 5.5:

@CoM_Solaufein - Thanks. Yeah, I struggled to find something that worked for the top header until this came to me. I'm happy with the result.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    It's great. That's a keeper.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2012
    @Archaic
    Personally I would prefer something more like this

I love your work but something that looks more like a contained window rather than one coming from the top of the page just looks better to me. Obviously this is a cut and paste job, but I feel that the the connection to the top of the page looks off somehow. I guess I just prefer a complete border around the whole thing.
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    I'm not too keen on the character's at the top. It's not a big thing, how often do you look at the load screen. I'm partial to a more colourful scenic option.
    edited December 2012
    @cryocore - It may look better however there are many other variables to take into account: scaled and non-scaled settings limit design layout significantly. Making too many changes to window height and location creates a lot of design problems throughout the whole GUI. I've looked into it but ultimately I had to find a middle ground that works for everyone including: resolutions and scaled settings. Thanks for your feedback.

@Porcelyn - I may look into a more colorful alternative in a later release. Thanks for your input.
    It is such a big relief having larger font for my non-saled 1920x1080 resolution. So much easier to read and the testing has been going great. I've been able to work out a few more bugs for the Bigger Font Mod and tweak it a bit before release with BETA 5.5.
    edited December 2012
    @Coriander @CoM_Solaufein - I'm wondering if you can help me. Keep in mind I'm new to BG modding. Is there a way to add/move a button and its function from one window to another in a .chu (DLTCEP)? I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm guessing the function of the button is generated by the engine itself and thus hard-coded which leaves me no options to move/add it elsewhere? Thanks for your help.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Is it impossible to change the placement of those screens with respect to the overall game window? i.e. centered vs. top-center?
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    @archaic I'm no modding expert, but from my own messing about i'm almost certain that kind of thing would be in the exe file, in the .chu file there is no information stored about what should happen when a button is clicked (e.g. set this variable, load this screen, change this colour) which leads me to believe all of that information must be in the exe. Without something like TobEx i'm not sure you could get the engine to do what you wanted.
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    I think @Requiem is right. Those sort of things are part of the .exe, like the scrolling of the kits list etc...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Archaic Yeah, the button functionality is totally hard coded. We're still going to work on a different UI system to allow more flexibility but it's going to be a while.
    edited December 2012
    If everything goes well with the installer setup and testing then I will have BETA 5.5 available for download in the next few hours. Archaic Custom Inventory 1.1, New Journal, Mage Book, Priest Scroll, Save/Load Screen, Bigger Font Mod, and a variety of additional GUI tweaks. I'm sure I've forgotten a slew of other additional updates that I've applied along the way...many that you might not even notice.
    edited December 2012
    BETA 5.5 Released with Easy Installer... Feedback welcome! Happy Holidays!
    Post edited by Archaic on
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @Archaic, thank you so much for all your hard work - you deserve a holiday!

I have feedback - the first post is so damned long. Is it possible to put the images in spoiler tags?
    Awesome stuff @Archaic! Works perfectly.
    @MurrayConfederacy - Possibly something I will consider for sure. I did create easy navigation links to help. Thanks for your feedback.
    Oh and Merry Xmas/non denominational celebration/secular gift swapping/wotever. Its Dec 25 here in New Zealand have a good day everyone.
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @cyrocore go to bed lol
    edited December 2012
    Thanks everyone!
    The first page has been optimized for a cleaner viewing experience. Shorter page length with spoiler tags and easy navigation links to quick jump to each section of the page. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the suggestion @MurrayConfederacy.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Instalator lacks of preview images in it. I had to open this topic and check each options manually. BTW, few screenshots doesn't work. Can you reupload them? Thanks for this Christmas gift :)
    edited December 2012
    @Etamin - You sure are hard to please. All screenshots should load/work just fine. I updated downloads with screenshots for your convenience. Merry Christmas! :)
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited December 2012
    Enhanced 2.1:
    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6045/enhancedinventory20scre.jpg

BG Start Screen -Sword Coast 2:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img707/2936/bgstartscreenswordcoast.jpg

Main Menu Screen - Sarevok:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img252/9479/mainmenusarevok.jpg

Those 3 don't open for me. I'm not kind of man who easily praise others and i think it's not what you want. Constructive opinion is in my opinion better than "OMG, it's so good, i luv you, your my god :*"
    I noticed that you unified fonts in Record tab and tabs headlines and i appreciate this - looks much better.
    Marry Christmas to you too :)

EDIT: Links in this post now work, but when clicked in yours they dont O_o.

edited December 2012
    @Etamin the links work fine the issue is at your end. You say you dont "easily praise others" but showing some gratitude for the effort @Archiac has put in is hardly out of place. Just a little gratitude you know.
This discussion has been closed.