Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• Aliard1806Aliard1806 Member Posts: 144
    I can't start a new game!!!the prologue video don't work...for the rest all good :D
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196

I can't start a new game!!!the prologue video don't work...for the rest all good :D

I have no problem when starting a new game on my end =/

idk...i removed all override directory and it worked...he gave me another character, not the created character!
  • BISHDPBISHDP Member Posts: 19
    That is quite impressive. Well done @Magevil
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited December 2012
    Ok, i have returned from work, installed your beta 5 and now i can say something more
    1) First of all like i said after beta 4 colors in few tabs doesnt match each other (map, mage book, priest scroll). I will post a screenshot to show you what i mean:
    Baldr001
    Marked places show difference in colors. Is it possible to make internal color looks like exterior one?
    2) Secondly, the fonts. Few tabs (F.I map like marked in screenshot above) still have old ones. And rest, like I posted today afternoon doesnt look the same. It's not only matter of capital letters in inventory. Record and Journal differ also - "Journal" is too vibrant, like pasted in graphical program. "Record" looks much better.
    3)Fonts in Record tab
    recordscreenclisy
    "Imoen", "Record", "Thief", atributes, summary infos - all in different fonts. Doesn't looks very esthetically. Would be great if there wasnt more than two different versions in one tab.
    4) Many screens are still uncolored (blue) - char creating, tabs in Record, chapters screens etc. But i think that you know about it.
    5) I have to disagree with @Seldar - Sarevok book in Journal looks great. One of my favourite upgread.
    6) I have to agree with @Seldar - give us if you can a default version of main screen. Not all like background arts (i personaly have nothing against Friendly Arm Inn graphic).
    7) About the skull - in beta 4 it looks horrible. Now it's much better, but i would still like to see the version from this forum (scroll all the way up)
    8) Would be great if you could pack everything in one zip file. Downloading 4 files is a bit annoying.

For now it's all i have caught. Once again thanks for your hard work. Can't wait for official release with fixed all problems, all tabs recolored and blue icons :).
    Post edited by Etamin on
  • KazugaKazuga Member Posts: 38
    @magevil
    i have a question, u say non-scaled and scaled. But what u mean with this? the non scaled version looks so good. But how i get this?
  • nemeyethnemeyeth Member Posts: 42
    Hi. I have a very strange problem. My Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition works perfectly without modifications. However, there is a 'mod' called 'Archaic HD' which changes the design of the User Interface. It looks extremely good and I used to play with it without problems but right now I think I can't. magevil, the one who created the design, uploaded a new beta version of the gui. Previous ones were good but now the new, after te new beta installation, my game crashes on startup. Any ideas? I'm sure that I installed it correctly :)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited December 2012
    @nemeyeth Problems caused by using mods are not Overhaul's responsibility, and unfortunately, you won't find much help in Community Support because it gets very little traffic. I have merged your topic with this one so that @Magevil or someone else who uses the mod can help you.
    nemeyeth said:

Hi. I have a very strange problem. My Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition works perfectly without modifications. However, there is a 'mod' called 'Archaic HD' which changes the design of the User Interface. It looks extremely good and I used to play with it without problems but right now I think I can't. magevil, the one who created the design, uploaded a new beta version of the gui. Previous ones were good but now the new, after te new beta installation, my game crashes on startup. Any ideas? I'm sure that I installed it correctly :)

try to remove all files from "override" directory and succesfly reinstall all parts of mod starting by the Archaic HD beta 5..and only afer the button inventory etc etc etc..let we know!!
    I already did that. I think I have to wait for beta 6 :D
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    @Seldar - Sorry but I'm not backtracking and that is just a silly request. If you want to combine elements from 4.0 into 5.0 then that is your own doing. Thanks.
    @Etamin - Yes we already addressed the color issue in: map, mage book, priest scroll. I will be revamping each screen one at a time. 1 step at a time. "Imoen", "Record", "Thief", atributes, summary infos - all in different fonts = this is default font used by overhaul. I will look into a standard font. Working on addressing many of these minor issues as the BETA progresses. Thanks for your support.
    @nemeyeth - I've asked you a few questions to help resolve your issues and my questions continue to go unanswered making it very difficult for me to help you. Could you please be a bit more responsive and detailed. Thank you.
    I will offer more Main Menu and Start Screen options come BETA 6.
    @Magevil I thought that I answered them all. But the thing is that Beta 4 works fine and beta 5 is not working at all. All the necessary files are in my override folder. The folder was empty before putting the files there because I was waiting for your beta 5. The over folder is not in 00766 folder but iit is in game main folder.

Path: Path: "F:\[ 007 - games - 007 ]\Baldur.exe" [ shortcut file path ]

Creating the override folder in 00766 folder and putting beta 4 files there is not working. Also, I do not have any button sets installed but I think I'll install one and check if it helps. Anyway, thanks for your help once again and continue what you do because your work and designs make me feel that the old baldur's gate is still alive ;*

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    @nemeyeth are you copying the files straight to your override folder? They will not work in a subfolder.
    edited December 2012
    @Magevil I think I know what causes the crashes. They occur when i have start.bam/start.mos files installed. I think that these files are responsible for changing the design of the main menu buttons. I ran the game with beta 5 installed but I replaced these start.* files with the files from beta 4 and it worked. Sadly, the starting screen is messed right now but I'm happy that I figured it out.

Link: http://oi50.tinypic.com/10ygozs.jpg [ probably I omitted the file responsible for the design ]

Furthermore, when I'm in game and try to open the journal the game crashes again. I suppose the journal uses the same button graphic design that the starting screen does. The buttons are the ones responsible but I do not know why...

@mlnevese Yeap, I installed beta 5 in the same way I installed beta 4.
    @nemeyeth Did you install your game via beamdog client or standard BG installer? You can get the button config back by removing start.chu. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Your configuration is somehow different from the rest and I would like to figure out what.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    @Magevil
    Is there any chance of true HD menus/inventory/UI by this I mean screens designed to be viewed in 1080p.
    With scaling off the GUI in game looks fine, but the menus/inventory/etc are shrunk and aligned to the top of the screen.
    I would love some custom option available at the most popular resolutions (1920x1080, 1920x1200, etc)
    Your work is fantastic and I personally feel its about as close to perfect as it could be, and having full screen menus, maps, and other screens at 1080p or would be one step closer.

Once again thank you for your hard work.
    @Magevil It was a standard bg installer - maybe that's the cause :D
    edited December 2012
    @nemeyeth - no thats not it...most people including myself use the standard and not beamdog installer. What OS do you have? Windows 7 - 32 or 64bit? What resolution are you running at? Are you doing scaled or non-scaled settings? Do you run BG in fullscreen?

Why do you have it installed on the F drive and not the C drive?
    @cryocore - this is something I'm looking into but the only fix I've found would only work with a specific resolution and not for the masses. It would cause a lot of extra work on my end to develop different versions of the UI for each resolution. Ultimately I decided it was not worth the time. I believe Overhaul stated somewhere that this was on their agenda to fix at some point its just not a priority.
    @Magevil - I have Windows 7 64 bit. I tried many resolutions but it did not work - the game crashed every time and the resolution has nothing to do with it I think. I run the game in scaled mode because I couldn't change the value of scale to 0 in my ini file. Yeap, that's another thing I have problem with. I run the game in fullscreen mode and I installed in on F because I install every game in F - C is devoted for W7 :D
  • geminibrunigeminibruni Member Posts: 276
    Magevil your work is really impressive!!!
    The UI is perfect and the screen options are very well done, even though they could use some adjustments for the button textures or, in some cases, for the way too bald design of the buttons.

I think that you should make all the original Enhanced Edition screen options using our own colours and details, like your Classic Inventory Screen....

Good Job!!!
    @Jalily - Some users are stating that the default override directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\override" or ("Your BGEE install path\00766\override") does not work for them. Some don't even have the "00766" folder. Could you please help by telling us why people have different paths to put override files in? This is what is creating an issue for people trying to install mods. Thanks for your help. :)
    People who dont have the 00766 Folder have a illigal version, 100% sure. Than this version dont have this folder. The original game had it 100%
    edited December 2012
    @Kazuga - Ahh...good to know. How did you come across this info so I can try to verify it further. Did you see it in another thread? Thanks for your input.
    edited December 2012
    Download the illigal version and u will se it ;) I had download issues on the First day whit the launcher, so i decided to download this version, so that i can play, but on the next day my launcher download was working.

The problem is the illigal version is not ready for updates, so better buy the game. The Developer deserve it
    @Kazuga - thanks for your help.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    That's weird... I'll ask around for you.
This discussion has been closed.