[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• CyphCyph Member Posts: 22
    Woah, a lot better! I like :)
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    New Priest Scroll Design for BETA 5.5:
    Feedback welcome...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Looks like the old school set up. Looks good.
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    I like the new scroll set up. It's a far better use of the space. Thank you so much for all your hard work. I am really enjoying it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Simple, yet effective. I like it! The only thing I'm missing is some sort of thin bookmark between the pages of the arcane spellbook. No Mage should be without such a 'shortcut' to his/her favourite spells. ;)

Hm, is this an astrology mosaic or some sort of holy symbol? Reminds me of Waukeen.

I know you've added the separation line for people to better distinguish the known and memorized spells... but it still feels a tad unnatural to me. On the other hand I'm unsure if bookmarks would make any sense in scrolls. :/

I fear the 'sun', while stylish yet immersive at the same time, would only really work for Morninglords of Lathander.

Rollers befitting the ceremonial function of such a holy priest scroll could be a nice thing to have. But it's also fine to stay true to the Baldur's Gate 1 priest scroll design in that regard.
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    @Archaic : nice job on the spells book (arcane and divine !) Much much better that way.

@Kamigoroshi : the only problem I can think of about having a Mosaic made for specific Clerics is that when you have more than one cleric in your party, you'll have to stick with one or another. It's just a matter of finding something that could fit. The one form Archaic is not so bad if you overlook the fact that it looks like the rising sun of Lathander ^^
    edited December 2012
    Thanks everyone for your feedback on the Mage Book & Priest Scroll designs. Much of your feedback helps with the release version. I have a few more things left on my list and then I will release BETA 5.5 within the next few days.
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    Archaic said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback on the Mage Book & Priest Scroll designs. Much of your feedback helps with the release version. I have a few more things left on my list and then I will release BETA 5.5 within the next few days.

Best Christmas gift ever =D
    edited December 2012
    Is anyone interested in a larger font Mod? If you use non-scaled settings the font is pretty small...
    Go for it. :) Non-scaled users could indeed use an optional larger font component, especially when playing on 1920x1200 and beyond.
    edited December 2012
    Preview of the Bigger Font Mod for BETA 5.5 if testing continues to go smooth. 1920x1080p Resolution Screenshots:
    Post edited by Archaic on
    The size seems about right. Though it may look better if you switch the font itself to something else. If BG:EE supports custom fonts I'd recommend the Magic Cards font, the Centaur font, or even the Andalus font since they would display better at this size.
    edited December 2012
    @Kamigoroshi - Custom font types are not something I'm going to look into at this point. The amount of time to do a custom fonts would be many many hours of tedious labor. This is the only large font optional available right now. Maybe in the future I will look into doing my own custom font. Thanks for the suggestion of Magic Cards Font - will keep that in mind.
    edited December 2012
    @Archaic I didn't meant to suggest that you create a custom font from scratch for BG:EE, but rather use existing custom fonts such as Magic Cards for that. Of course, if BG:EE doesn't support non-standard fonts this idea of mine is moot to begin with.
    edited December 2012
    @Kamigoroshi - I understand what you mean. No matter what font you use you must create from scratch. Its not as simple as taking a font file and its done. You literally have to create a graphic for each letter etc. (approx 250+ graphics) It is very labor intensive... As you stated BGEE doesn't support standard font format. You can use a pre-existing font like Magic Cards but you must create the graphics from the font itself.
    Dang, I feared as much. In that case I withdraw my suggestion to change the font - it simply ain't worth the effort.
    edited December 2012
    @Kamigoroshi - Yea - its unfortunate but you're right its just not worth my time at this given juncture in the BETA. It might be down the road...
    Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe there is another 'Bigger Font Mod' available for BG:EE....right?
    Not that I'm aware of at least. There is Bigger fonts for BGII:TOB and other IE games which may or may not work on BG:EE though.
    @Kamigoroshi - I've tried them and as far as I can see they do not work.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Archaic

Bigger Fonts mod for Baldur's Gate 2
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/52452-bigger-fonts-mod-for-baldurs-gate-2/

Font Bam Generator
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/41417-fonts-for-pt-pl/

The link for the bam generator is in one fo the comments in the second thread.

Enjoy :)
    edited December 2012
    @mlnevese - Thanks for the suggestion. However, I've not been able to get the font bam generator to work. The program wont even start up. Not sure why... The bigger fonts mod for BG2 doesn't work for BGEE from what I've tested anyways.
    edited December 2012
    @Archaic Strange... I'll take a look and let you know if I find something...

Worked here. you must have Java installed. From command line:

java -jar font-bam-generator-1.0.jar -charset CHARSET [-drawShadow BOOLEAN] -font FONT -out FILE [-useAA BOOLEAN]
    @mlnevese - cool thanks.
    @Archaic I updated my post see if you tried that :)
    edited December 2012
    @mlnevese - just copy and past "java -jar font-bam-generator-1.0 -charset CHARSET [-drawShadow BOOLEAN] -font FONT -out FILE [-useAA BOOLEAN]" into cmd line? I'm not a cmd line geek...I have java installed.
    edited December 2012
    @Archaic

Let me give you an example from that thread:

java -jar font-bam-generator-1.0.jar -charset cp1250 -font "DejaVu Serif Bold 14" -out /tmp/test.bam -useAA true -drawShadow false

in this command cp 1250 referers to central european languages charset:

1250 – Central and East European Latin
    1251 – Cyrillic
    1252 – West European Latin
    1253 – Greek
    1254 – Turkish
    1255 – Hebrew
    1256 – Arabic
    1257 – Baltic
    1258 – Vietnamese
    874 – Thai

-font must contain the name of the font, style and size you wish to use
    -out is the path and name for the bam you wish to create

-useAA makes the characters antialiased when set to true

-drawShadow will draw shadows in under the characters.

Make sure the java command is in your path or copy it from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin or wherever you installed java to the same directory you're trying to run the font bam generator.

@mlnevese - Thanks. I should have read the thread better...
    edited December 2012
    @Nathan - do you know what the max value is we can put in the baldur.ini for Path Search Nodes? Defaul tis 32000 but I believe it can go higher? 400000? I've tried changing it but I don't seem to notice a difference. Thanks.
    Archaic Journal for BETA 5.5:
    Feedback welcome...
This discussion has been closed.