Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    I filed a bug report for a GUI bug I discovered after the latest patch. You can read about the bug here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14953/after-quick-load-gui-elements-disappear
    Is anyone else experiencing this bug?
  • SchopenhauerSchopenhauer Member Posts: 36
    Okay, I dont mind changing the scrollbar to something better looking :-)
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I like the new scroll bar. Put it in release and see how people react to it, then you will know if it works or not.
    edited January 2013
    This screen is starting to get annoying...am I the only one?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yes and there is only 60 something people on right now. Hate to see how it reacts with hundreds of people. [/offtopic]
  • nemeyethnemeyeth Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2013
    Hm, great work so far. I want to ask something - is there a way to change the design of the scroll buttons ( the ones that scroll the text in the 'chat' window where conversations/exp gained etc are displayed)? They look like bricks and i think they just do not fit the design ;)
    Post edited by nemeyeth on
  • ShadowSmugglerShadowSmuggler Member Posts: 44
    Looks like I'm against the grain, I like the scrollbars and the blue gem. Still, the latest version is nice and clean, so that works too.
    edited January 2013
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - Now that's some feedback! haha. Making the scroll bars match the button themes may work in some areas and not others so I had to scrap the idea.

I cannot make the the stone match the clothing color of each character.

Ideally, I would love to ditch scrolling all in all. However its just simply not possible with the limited space I have to work with. I will continue to optimize the extra space as much as possible while maintaining a clean and appealing appearance.

The problem with making room to avoid scrolling is that not every element requires scrolling for each character and thus just creates empty space only utilized by some characters configurations. So in theory it sounds good to make more space to avoid scrolling but all your doing is shifting empty space around and not really gaining anything in the end.

Thanks for all your awesome feedback! Keep it coming. :)
    @nemeyeth - Yes, I can change the scroll bars on the chat window and its something I plan to play around with to see what I can come up with. I agree about the design of the scroll bars - I don't like the stock design at all. Thanks for the feedback.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2013
    @Archaic Would it be possible to reduce the button slightly and align them all to the left side and move stats window over slightly as well. That way the entire right side would be free for info and would require a scroll.

Kinda like this.

Post edited by cryocore on
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64

Just to chime in on the stone color. I don't think there's any good answer, because what colors people prefer vary from person to person (I'd pick Green), so just go with whichever color you think looks best.

as for cryocore's layout idea. on the one hand I like that it gives maximum space to the area that would otherwise require a lot of scrolling, so that's a plus, but on the other hand it loses the clean symmetrical look that I like with your layout.
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    Archaic said:

I just had a major breakthrough in unlocking transparent backgrounds...this would go a long way to bringing an amazing immersion feel to BGEE. I will keep you guys updated on how it progresses. So far so good. Hopefully will have screenshots later today.

Transparent backgrounds sounds like something amazing for those of us playing at 1080p, having the inventory screen just sit on top of the game map instead of having an empty background like now.

If it ends up being half as good as I'm imagining(or maybe wrongly assuming) it I might keep it that way even if a 1080p interface ends up being released.
    This may be asking too much but would it be possible to center the inventory screen like in your screenshot in the previous page?

I'm not asking you to do it, certainly not before the bug you pointed out gets resolved, just asking if it can be done.
    @Rasekov - yes it can be done but it creates a lot of complications...
    @Archaic So I take it my idea is unworkable (I have no idea how the UI stuff works in the background).
    It's good to know that it can be done.

Also, I'm sure a month ago you were equally dubious about half of the stuff you managed to do with the UI so I'll keep my hopes up about the centered screen design.
    @cyrocore - its workable but its a lot of work for minimal gain. As @Selaboc stated "it loses the clean symmetrical look".
    edited January 2013
    Well, my transparent backgrounds bug was successfully reported. Hopefully the BGEE dev team will fix it and we can have some awesome immersion in BGEE.
    Post edited by Archaic on
    cryocore said:

@Archaic So I take it my idea is unworkable (I have no idea how the UI stuff works in the background).

+1

I would love something like the design pointed out by cryocore and I dont think using a symmetrical look is important. Having a nice looking design doesnt depend on symmetry.

As to the free space it would create, I would 100% prefer this to the mandatory scrolling. I would just love to see all the details at once (eg. resistances)

:-)
    Double post again o.O

As for the buttons, I think making them smaller would be preferable just cause most of them are rarely used.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    After today's "overloads" the forum seems to be having these double posts a lot...
    edited January 2013
    @Schopenhauer - I understand your viewpoint that you don't want to scroll. Even if I cleared out the whole right side you would still have to scroll down. This is not gaining anything at all. I AGREE with you 100% if it could be done...I would do it. There is no point in redesigning something I've already done to my satisfaction. If I could design it without having to scroll down while not making a list of other sacrifices I would.
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - The behavior of the game would remain the same. The game would pause as usual.
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - The behavior of the game would remain the same. The game would pause as usual.
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - Reputation: Popular (16)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    You're a demigod if the windows can become draggable, or have multiple windows opened at once. I wonder how much longer would it take for Overhaul to hire you? If I were asked, they should hire you for the UI. Then if you had official support from Overhaul to overcome some limitations, I'm sure this would be grander than it already is.
    @Illustair - Yeah that sure would be nice. I doubt us modders will ever have that much control over the Infinity Engine.
    @Archaic
    I see your point about symmetry, but for me I think that aiming from a symmetrical limits the options somewhat and actually creates more issues as you limit yourself regarding functionality. Having said that I love what you've done, but I think not being symmetrical could inject even more personality and further separate you from the Overhaul/Bioware template.
This discussion has been closed.