Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited May 2013
    What does everyone think of the new numbered proficiency bullets on the level up screenshot?
  • ShadowplayShadowplay Member Posts: 18
    Archaic said:

What does everyone think of the new numbered proficiency bullets on the level up screenshot?

I like the idea, but they are a bit hard to read.

edited May 2013
    @Shadowplay - Hmm...What resolution do you have? I'm on 1920x1080 and I don't find them hard to read. Lower resolutions and scaled settings will enhanced the the size of the buttons as well. They will only get bigger and easier to read. This is basically as small as they will look.

Are you looking at the full enlarged image? Click the image above to see the full-sized screenshot...

Scaled:

Thanks for the feedback.
    @Archaic - same here. 1920x1080 (non-scaled). I can read them, but the numbers just seem a little indistinct from the bullets.

I'm not sure how much room to work with you have there. Would it be possible to try a solid or gradient color for the bullets and then make the numbers slightly larger plus possibly solid in color as well? Not even sure if that made sense lol. I don't have access to anything I can mock something up in right now :(
    edited May 2013
    @Shadowplay - I acutally played with the bullets for almost 20+ mins trying different sizes and colors for the best readability. This seemed to be the best combination. When you make the number size larger it hides too much of the bullet. Right now there is a slight drop shadow white to black gradient on the number with a black outline. I'll try to play around with a bit more and see what I can come up with.
    @Archaic - I figured you had done at least a few iterations ;) There aren't any numbers on those bullets in vanilla, right? So this is already more useful hehe.
    @Archaic - for what it's worth, I like it :) The numbers do look better now IMO.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    You should call a vote on numbers. Its a delicate innovation, not sure if majority will like it,
    edited May 2013
    @Xzar - I don't see how its a "delicate innovation". For high level chars it will be very helpful at quick glace to tell how many proficiency points you have in each category instead of having to count the bullets. If others state their distaste for the design I will look into an alternative design or vote. Thanks.
    Post edited by Archaic on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Archaic please don't remove numbers. Firstly they seemed little out of place to me, but the longer I put my gaze on them the more confident I am they should be there from the beginning:) I love the color and size gradation, it helps to quickly check your actual proficiency points without the need of counting these bullets. A very neat little feature IMO.
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    @archaic I really like the numbers for proficiencies, it's a nice touch. The spell selection screen looks great too.
    edited May 2013
    @Requiem - Thank you. I've been really taking my time on the level up screens and I think its paying off.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I am neutral to numbered proficiency points, I've never found them hard to read. And it has become a kind of Bg-talk in forums and walkthroughs, like Proficiencies:longsword++ shortbow+ dagger+++ etc or My archer's proficiencies:longbow*****

I absolutely love spell selection page, those grid-like windows look beautiful!
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited May 2013
    @Archaic spell selection page looks beautiful indeed, although I'm wondering if the title font - in this case Mage Book: Level 3 shouldn't be larger. I find it to small at the moment. I compared it with vanilla screen and I think it should be something between Your current font and vanilla one (well, maybe not exactly between, but a little larger than it is now). Definitely should be larger than font used on Done button on the bottom.

It's just a thought btw :)
    edited May 2013
    @Cahir - I agree with you about fonts. I will be tweaking fonts/titles on a lot of pages once the new update comes out. I need to wait until then...I'm working with a very limited font selection.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    All looking great. Not 100% certain on the numbered proficiency points... mainly because they look like pool balls. :P Maybe once I see it in game though...
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    just to toss my 2 cents in on the numbered proficiency points. I like them. and they're an example of one of the things I like about your GUI - you manage to come up with clever little touches like that that I never would have even thought was "missing" but once you add it, its like "of course, that's what was missing all along".

Can't wait for the next BGEE update and next AG release to go with it! This has rapidly become one of my must have mods for any BGEE playthru, well done and keep up the excellent work!
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited May 2013
    Like always your work is astonishing, especially chapter screen. Numbers on bullets are, in my opinion a bit unnecessary, since you can tell by look how many points you have. Would be more helpfull with 10 and more bullets. However the more i look at them the more i get used to them. Also i have to agree with @Cahir - font at spell selection screen should be a bit bigger and or at least the same size ("level 3" is smaller). And there could be border all around spell description. Left side abut with spells icon table. Other than that i can't wait for new patch and your next beta release.
    By the way, how many screens left to be done? Only character creation?

PS: If rest chapter screens look the same, then please don't post them - they are a bit spoilerable (does this word even exist?) :).
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    This is this, this ain't something else - this is this!
    edited May 2013
    Chapter screen looks amazing! The borders, the intricate engraving style branches and all those little touches, it is like an object art being painted with great care and love.

To be honest, I've liked the chapter zero screen before, the picture of Candlekeep in shadows has such an eerie and calm sense at the same time, and since it has blue as dominant hue, I've always liked how it matches with the vanilla blue borders screen. Like, it belonged. (And if you are a chronic restarter like me, you see that chapter screen the most!) so it seems a bit odd to me but even then it is amazing! I am sure other chapter and dream screens will look even better!
    edited May 2013
    @Balquo - I agree with you about once your see them in-game it makes a big difference. I find if very helpful and a must have now. Thanks!

@Selaboc - Glad to see your feedback. "This has rapidly become one of my must have mods for any BGEE playthru" This is definitely my ultimate goal with this mod. I appreciate all your kind words. Thanks!

@Etamin - Yeah, I will sort out all the titles and fonts once the new release comes out. I'm waiting on a few things to get figured out first. The "level 3" is smaller because I don't have control over it being smaller then the magebook text. If I was to give an estimate of how much I have left I would guess that I'm maybe half way done. One thing to consider is that even though some screens might be "done" I still have a lot of work to do on them to make them complete. Thank you.

@lunar - Happy to hear it. I'm trying to really take my time right now. I may not be kicking out screens left and right but I hope the quality makes up for it. Do you only play on iPad? Thanks.
    edited May 2013
    AG Level Up - Sorcerer Spell Selection Screen for BETA 7.0:
    AG Level Up - Sorcerer Spell Selection Screen
    I made the header and footer smaller, added the rounded top to the text area border, and "Spells" label to the spell count. Plus other small tweaks. Previous Design for Comparison: http://i.imgur.com/5JyTdBQ.jpg
    @Archaic I also have the Bg:EE pc version, but I use my pc gaming only for modding/testing. I mod my game on pc and transfer the overriding folders to Ipad. Technicaly, I can play the same game continously on both, by transferring save games constantly, PC has better graphics and resolution ofcourse, but playing on the go with Ipad comes a lot easier and comfortable. I can have a quick Black Pits battle while travelling on a bus, sitting on the sofa while waiting a show on tv to start, or just laying on my bed before sleep etc. Using pc or even a lap-top is way too cumbersome and heavy when compared.

That said, I am grateful for the manual installation option of the mod, and all the new stuff you're adding. And yeah, this mod is quickly becoming 'the must have mod for any BG:EE play'
  • ShadowSmugglerShadowSmuggler Member Posts: 44
    Love the pool balls...erm.. Proficiency points! Kidding aside, I really do like them and think they should stay. :)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Mage book looks great.
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    @Archaic - Right on, looks good!
This discussion has been closed.