Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• siril_danasiril_dana Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2013
    The map screen, inventory screen, etc... look ugly on high resolutions. I don't know why the don't use a map system like the one you did. I hope you get to finish this thing! They should hire you.
    Post edited by siril_dana on
  • 0hope0hope Member Posts: 3
    Well this thread seems kinda void of activity but i'll post here anyway coz i just don't see reason to open new thread.
    Soooo i have only word of praise for this GUI its great change more similar to BG2 UI on which i'm used to but as always there is but...
    Long story short this mod messes up my shortcuts and literally all of them, when i scroll over button (eg. map) it says ctrl+M while in options is still unchanged(default M) and best of all not even ctrl+m is working.
    I have tried changing it in options but it didn't help at all, tried installing just this mod but had same results.
    Editing .ini file didn't help at all.
    Now that it self isn't big issue but hitting Q button for quick save causes my game to crash and i kinda have bad habit of abusing it.
    Only thing that fixes that issue is removal of UI mod which is darn shame.
    If anyone have some advice i'd be happy to hear it.
  • LickatoadLickatoad Member Posts: 1
    That is awesome!
    What portrait are you using for that female archer?
  • PacalonPacalon Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, having a weird issue. Searched through but couldn't find a concrete answer. I really want to play at 1920x1080 with the GUI non-scaled, and I've done the installer numerous times but always have the issue of my character bar disappearing and I have odd spaces that don't look right on the bottoms of the screen. Override folder has to be right as it's showing the changes in game, but something definitely weird is going on.

Here's some screenshots of what's going on;

Title Screen: http://imageshack.us/a/img703/6360/ef6y.jpg

In Game: http://imageshack.us/a/img689/6770/ca6s.jpg
  • Jodien37Jodien37 Member Posts: 17
    Unfortunately, as @Archaic said, the work on the mod is stopped and the previous beta 6 version is also unplayable since it is incompatible with the latest patch. So there is nothing we can do other than playing the game with its original GUI.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    I'm not coming back to Baldur's Gate before you update your work. Not even when they release new patch. Can't play without your GUI. Good luck in whatever you are doing and come back soon :)
  • sobiyangsobiyang Member Posts: 3
    Screenshots look promising. I'll give it a try and feedback later.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    Etamin said:

I'm not coming back to Baldur's Gate before you update your work. Not even when they release new patch. Can't play without your GUI. Good luck in whatever you are doing and come back soon :)

I suggest you actually use the new UI before writing it off. Personally I find it works just fine and while the layout of some screens could do with some work (something Archaic is very good at) its perfectly fine. It also has the advantage of not being all one poo brown colour which for me is the deal breaker for Archaic's otherwise exceptional work.

cryocore said:

Etamin said:

I suggest you actually use the new UI before writing it off. Personally I find it works just fine and while the layout of some screens could do with some work (something Archaic is very good at) its perfectly fine. It also has the advantage of not being all one poo brown colour which for me is the deal breaker for Archaic's otherwise exceptional work.

I will check it, but unless they made some big improvements in both functionality and appearance then i will prefer to wait for Archaic new release.
  • geminibrunigeminibruni Member Posts: 276
    Archaic all we are very curious to see what you can do with the new improvements adopted by the new engine!!!!

You are a best modder I've never seen at work!!! Don't abadon US!!
  • sobiyangsobiyang Member Posts: 3
    I tried it yesterday with non-scale mode and golden buttons, and it is much nicer than the original GUI. Also the font is bigger, which is a good thing for my 19' inch display and possibly a life-saver for those with full-HD monitors. However, sometimes the dialog contains funny characters. I believe this is a glitch due to the new font having such characters.
  • Darkangel13Darkangel13 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you :)
    This is a lot nicer then the original ;)
    edited October 2013
    @Archaic, while we're waiting that you resume the work in your mod I would advise some minor changes that I think would help to make it even better, so as to resume to support this your wonderful mod and maybe motivate you to finish the job started months ago......

Why not add some color to the home screen?image

Your buttons are truly a treat as design, but I think it would be even better with a different use of shadowsimage
    Post edited by geminibruni on
    edited October 2013
    I have tried to replace the ingame buttons with those used in the main screen, I think the result is excellent..

Original Archaic version:image

Modified Archaic version:image
  • Gideon_LaierGideon_Laier Member Posts: 7
    Hey ya'll, so with Archaic's response a few posts above, is this mod currently dead-in-the-water? or is it actually usable? It looks great, but is there anything wrong with it currently? If it's better to stick with the normal BGEE version of our GUI, just let me know please.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    You can use it fine on the current non-Beta version of the game, but once the patch comes out (presumably in the next couple of weeks) it will become unusable.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    didn't archaic have a version ready for the next update long ago but was waiting for it to come out? can't he upload that?
    They added so many new options meanwhile, that propably it wont work. I just hope he didn't lose zeal for it and will adjust this mod for new patch.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I suspect he's just really busy with real life, possibly combined with a loss of interest in the game. Until whatever he has going on calms down I doubt he'll be back here regularly. Its possible that BG2EE might galvanise him to come back as well!

I loaded up my base game yesterday (been playing the patch beta), and I really, really miss his GUI.
    Was anyone using this mod with last patch? Does it work? So far i cant test it by myself.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    Etamin said:

Was anyone using this mod with last patch? Does it work? So far i cant test it by myself.

Doesn't work. Couple sql_parser message pop-ups on launch (but game launches). Then it crashes if you go into options->gameplay->feedback. Also crashes when starting a new game.

Guess it's time for an update.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Over hundred likes, 67 pages and beamdog still think that ugly psychedelic blue was a good choice...
    You have to be really stoned that you chose that color. :D
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    i'm very happy with the "ugly psychodelic blue" UI for it's bluishgoldenness with good contrast and not too much kitsch.
    having choice is nice though, and the changes in EE1.2 make that easier than ever.
    edited November 2013
    I miss times when you were coming back to this topic and almost everyday see new screens from Archaic and watch how default GUI evolve into this. Archaic also had one of the best informations about progress. At first page you can still see BETA 7.0 80% done. Hope we will hear about him soon :).
  • RellinRellin Member Posts: 28
    Please update this. I can't stand the default interface. =((
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 169
    perhaps the more passive BG2EE brown stone UI will be easily ported to BGEE
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited November 2013
    Removed.
    Post edited by Archaic on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Archaic As far as I'm aware of the selling of mods, or even only accepting optional donations for them, is not tolerated on this site. It took a bit of digging around the forums, but you may find this old thread relevant to the topic at hand:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16452/the-public-selling-their-mods#latest

That being said, I'm sure everyone here is adult enough to fully understand it if you're stopping the development of this GUI due to real life. Modding is a hobby after all and should not be forced upon people with little to no free time.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited November 2013
    @Kamigoroshi - Yeah, I was afraid of that. I just can't think of any other way to make it work. Thanks for the input. I removed the post until I can come up with a better idea.

Sorry guys, I simply don't have the time it requires to put out a quality mod and give good support. When I was doing this before It was starting to turn into a full-time job with development and support. I can't justify putting in this type of time when I could be using that time to put food on the table.

Unless I can come up another idea this mod is probably dead. :(
This discussion has been closed.