Skip to content

Bug: Random commoners appear (Final Fight, Thief Maze, Werewolf Island)

Comments

• DeioDeio Member Posts: 23
    This bug has been following us through our 3-man multiplayer playthrough. I have no idea when it started but it started getting annoying around when entered Cloakwood.

Noteable things for us that havent been mentioned is that the commoners are usually beating some randomly named NPC up. The bug also keeps evolving and after we talked to Ramazith in baldurs gate and proceeded to go to Durlags tower, we had a group of 40 commoners inside durlags tower with 5-6 Ramaziths chilling with them.

It's pretty hilarious, but it kills the feeling of the game quite abit ^^
  • shtkckshtkck Member Posts: 22
    I actually get this same issue in multiplayer. Unmodded.

Like.. In the boss battle at the end of Nashkel mines unnamed commoners in sets of 3 would spawn out of the walls. Just one character model.

It's happened a few times.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    @Avenger_teambg was finally able to replicate this, so I think we're finally close to a solution.
  • jd8222jd8222 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    On failling a pickpoket, the cracter turn agressive (propably expected) still i didn't kill the npc.

The unexpected part is there is a lot of clone of that particular npc roaming around everywhere. (2 or 3 per map and even in dongeon like the wyvern nest)

Resulting in a reputation loss of 9 every time i kill a clone
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    this is hard, wouldnt it be much butter if NPC call the gards and not trying too Attack you?
    I mean most of them are only simple people and your party has weapons!!!
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    Haha this is hilarious.

"FACE ME! FACE THE NEW LORD OF MURDER!"

"Heyya!"
    "My wife's been getting pretty on my arse."
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Wife's been gettin' prickly on me arse.
  • forbjokforbjok Member Posts: 31
    zarffyn said:

Sorry. Having trouble wrapping my head around the horror of "dozens of copies" of Noober. O_o

That would be pretty bad.
    It must be the game trolling him.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited February 2013
    Here's an interesting one for you: I did Garrick's side-quest with Silke, today. While fighting Silke, I poisoned her with Blackguard Poison; she came to "Near Death" pretty quickly. She ran into the Red Sheaf Inn, where she died. I entered, hoping to get her loot (and fake talk Kharlat into shutting up so I can deal with him later...). She was standing, and died after one tick of poison. She...heads outside (what is she, the Highlander? A 3rd Edition boar?), drops dead on the steps of the Red Sheaf. "Alright, whatever. Double-dead." I think.
    ...later, I headed up to the northwestern corner of Beregost, where, lo and behold, I find yet another corpse belonging to Silke! I've been playing this game since 2001, and it's the same loot. Mind, I don't mind having two pricy staves to sell, nor do I mind having two nice potions...it's just a little...weird, and I thought I'd report this.

tl;dr...
    Current Behavior: Silke is poisoned. Silke escapes the area, dies, and re-enters the area when pursued into her other area. Dies a second time. Two corpses spawn, one at the northwestern corner of the map.
    Expected Behavior: Silke dies once, one corpse results?

Though, this could be mods making our Thesipan Extraordinaire act strangely. Would you like any copy-paste of anything?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited February 2013
    This is the MP cloning bug we already reported. You played MP, right?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

This is the MP cloning bug we already reported. You played MP, right?

Plus one insightful for you! Yes, I did! I...did not think to mention that in my post. Or look for similar cases. Case closed!
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    edited February 2013

Interesting. I've seen bartenders run from fightes (bounty hunters and stuff like that), going so far as to leave the room/tavern. One of the innkeepers in Baldur's Gate is outside his inn, making it easy to rest without even going inside!

I had a gamesman at the Carnival Area who fled out of the tent and after that we could bet and play his fortune game without his fortune table or anything outside of the game tent. :)

Also the dwarf guy at the Carnival Area fled into a shop tent from a fight and after that he announced and presented the "statue" cleric from inside.

Also I had skeletons who left the Area (!) just because they were successfully turned. I lost the XP and the loot. I wonder what if a key person or an NPC with a key item leaves an Area and you loose a quest or the game?
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Taris keeps appearing on wrong places. First she was suddenly in the bandit camp, and now there are three of her in the area map to the West, with the siren cave.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Oh boy.

Known bug... did you engage in combat with NPCs in her area, leaving some of them hostile and alive, while either playing multiplayer or starting the game in MP mode to customize your party?
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Madhax said:

Oh boy.

Known bug... did you engage in combat with NPCs in her area, leaving some of them hostile and alive, while either playing multiplayer or starting the game in MP mode to customize your party?

I have the game in MP mode, in case I want to add another character later or whatever. I killed the enemy there that attacked me. Another bug that occurred after that battle actually was that the men watching Rasaad were now placed in front of the Inn (next to where Taris normally stands) so I couldn't enter it anymore.
  • HeyaHeya Member Posts: 55
    Any word on whether this will be among the bugfixes in the new patch?

It's the only thing holding us back from continuing with the MP...
  • seanster3000seanster3000 Member Posts: 1
    In just about every map I go to I have like 5-10 Commoners and like 5 Gamesmen on the map and the Gamesmen attack the Commoners (It's quite funny) I can watch the damage in the Chat window and they are always yelling: "Ahhh HELP!" that gets annoying real quick.
  • mttmirandamttmiranda Member Posts: 1
    So I'm right at where I believe the end of the catacombs are (this is the farthest I've reached in the game before) and I just killed the two basilisks, yet when I try to move south and to the west to presumably exit the level, about 10 watchmen come into view and stop my characters from moving, saying the same thing (something like "Hey kid, you shouldn't be down here. Run along and play or sumthin"). Now they don't say this once, but every half second which means with 10 of them it never ends and I'm effectively stopped in my tracks worse than any servant of Saverok could stop me. It seems the only way to get rid of them is to kill them all but as a good group this pretty much will force all of my characters to leave my party. What kind of glitch is this? I can't imagine that the watchmen are supposed to be there in the first place (seeing as I'm supposed to be locked up you think they would attack on sight). So what am I to do about this?
  • mttmirandamttmiranda Member Posts: 1
    It's really p***ing me off to no end right now.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've found a hostile commoner in the Werewolf's island, i've never attacked commoner nor stole/charm then, so I don't know why did that guy was hostile, and its a repetitive bug, loading the save didn't works, he stills being there, and I can't sleep.
    And I've found some Nobleman and Noblewoman on the final battle, did that is normal or its a bug??
  • mjxshiptonmjxshipton Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    So I'm playing BG:EE on multiplayer (I do this to allow multiple custom characters as well as other features). I just finished Durlag's Tower. When I went back to Ulgoth's Beard, I fought the whole cult thing, and after using confusion/fear went around trying to mop up the few mooks left. I noticed something odd though.

I first fought Aec'Letec and it didn't go well as is apt to happen when fighting a tanar'ri. So I reloaded. That's when I noticed "Cult Assassin - Invisible." I figured I had missed one. Eventually, three cult assassins attacked me in the upstairs part of the cult house after I killed the demon. I figured I had missed them, so fair enough.

Outside, as I was going to the inn to rest up, FOUR more cult assassins had it out with me (and for 300XP they're surprisingly overpowered with a backstab that typically does 25+ damage). I figured that maybe I had missed those because I had used a wand of fear, so they had remained invisible as they hadn't committed an action. Again, okay.

So I shipped off to werewolf island, and that's when I noticed it. I loaded my game up for another session and I saw "Cult Assassin - Invisible." The only thought I had was "I STILL MISSED ONE?" But on a subsequent load, there were now TWO cult assassins.

Presently, I'm up to five. With the next load, probably six. All just hanging around, invisible, in Ulgoth's Beard, maybe making small talk with the townsfolk to pass the time, waiting for me to come back.

I've looked through the common bugs post and done an internet search and haven't found anything.

I don't know what's causing them to spawn or how to fix it. The last thing I need is this bug corrupting my saves and making them unplayable or anything alike. It's amusing on one hand, on the other... any ideas how to fix this?
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Thanks for the quick reply Sese79, I'll look into these today and report back to let you know if they've worked. In the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions please don't hesitate.
    Update - and sorry for the double tap.

Just finished off WW Island and got back to the Beard. I sent my people all over the town but couldn't find any cult assassins anywhere. I reloaded, and now instead of seeing nine of them spawn in the dialog window, I saw only one. Baffled, I wagered something: the two houses near the entry to the town have locked doors. I broke into the northern one, sure enough, the assassin was in there.

Killed her, saved, reloaded, again a cult assassin spawned, this time outside. She attacked me, we took her out. Saved, reloaded - NOTHING.

I think this ties into what SCARY_WIZARD said about Silke - I had to kill the assassin both inside and out to finally end the bug. I wonder if the fact the door was locked at all ties into this?
  • EnderAEnderA Member Posts: 5
    Bug happened to me, with Ramazith. (Playing multiplayer-solo, Win 7, from Steam.)

I had accepted his quest to get the nymph, killed Ragefast, freed the nymph, then returned to his tower. I had also saved & reloaded in between. He was standing outside the door to his tower, as well as inside. I killed the one outside in cold blood, then went inside. I talked with him, and killed him before he teleported, and cleared out the tower gauntlet to the top to grab the items. Then I continued with my business until I came to the Seven Suns, outside of which Ramazith was standing!

Confused, I looked up this thread. In an attempt to fix the bug, I went back to his tower (where he had reappeared), and talked with him, letting him escape to the top of the tower. I walked up to the top, killed him, and it appears the bug is now fixed. (I went to a different section of BG, saved, reloaded, and went back to his tower, and he wasn't there.)

I messed around a bit reloading a save to see what happened if I did various things. I tried letting both Ramaziths near his tower escape, and there were two of him at the top of the tower (which I killed), and then I went to the Seven Suns and he was there.

My theory is that it has something to do with an NPC walking through a closed door in multiplayer. I have attached a saved game (the save folder zipped, 000000189), which is from right before I talk with Ragefast, where the bug has already happened, and my prior save where the bug has apparently not occurred yet (000000188). They are ~22 hrs apart in-game time, most spent sleeping. Any travel in between the saves was limited to within the Baldur's Gate city.

Let me know if you need more information.

tl;dr: Bug happened with Ramazith, so I let him escape, killed him, and seems to have been resolved, hopefully.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited April 2015
    this bug just happened to a player who is playing with EET (mod similar to BGT) on BG2:EE, latest patch. It's unrelated to EET (checked all spawning scripts, are info etc.) and follows exactly the same criteria as ones mentioned in this topic:
    - affects Taris (new BG:EE NPC from Dorn's quest line),
    - game was started in multiplayer mode
    - Taris is now randomly spawned in many areas, for example in AR0300 there are 3 of them

From what I see in BG:EE RUNENEMY.BCS one of the patches changed all RunAwayFrom triggers to RunAwayFromNoLeaveArea. Is this a reason why this change has been made? If yes than the same change should be done to BG2:EE because this engine has the same problem.

@Avenger_teambg am I right with the reasoning behind RUNENEMY.BCS changes? Or maybe something else has been done to prevent it in BG:EE multiplayer?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited April 2015
    Vanilla BG1 never had enemies fleeing through exits, so there the change was done easily.
    Vanilla BG2 is different, it allowed fleeing through exits. It is not an unintentional bug. The original programmers had to make some effort to implement it like that. So, we can't just remove that feature, unless it causes a bug.