Skip to content

Tales of the Underdark

Comments

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited December 2012
    *ignores Tanis's comment about Ilmater as he turns to look at Demeisen's wounds*

"My ability to heal is limited, and while my order and I are not liberal in our restoration of others, it would appear that you've suffered enough in your current state. I will heal you, but it would be wise for me to rest after I do so."

*Casts Cure Light Wounds on Demeisen*

*glances at Ebnar momentarily*

"As he said, pulling the rope up would seem a prudent course of action."

(Turn end)
    Post edited by Anduine on
  • AshtoneAshtone Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    Demeisen sighs with relief as the spell settles over him, reknitting some of his more grevious wounds back together.

*nods his thanks to Tharadin*

Stepping out of the shadows beside his companions, Demeisen stares over the ledge into the darkness, but can see nothing.

"I agree we could all use some rest now before pressing on, but with that goblin escaping us... perhaps one of us should stay awake so we aren't caught offguard"

OOC:-----

My hit points were at 19. how much does cure light wounds heal?

@Ashtone: Cure Light Wounds heals 1d8 HP, and I believe it gains an additional +1 healing for every caster level, up to +5, so it should be: 1d8 + 2.
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    As the party stands near the blackness of the cavernous pit they decide to retrieve the rope and try to rest for a few hours and recover. The party sets up a few simple traps to alarm them of anything and take turns keeping watch and performing healing spells and bandaging wounds using healing potions until the party is fully healed. After several hours and no sign of goblins or dogs the party gathers their gear and prepares to either descend down the into the cavernous unknown or make their way back to the other path...

(DM) turn end
  • DreyyDreyy Member Posts: 118
    Ebnar awakes and streches his neck back, a loud crunch of his neck joint echos. He stands up a stretches his back and twists his left arm in a circle, it still feels sore from the Hellhound's bite but no sustatining injuries remain. He grabs up his two axes and gives either one a few swings in the air, satisfied his fighting fit again he clangs the both of them togeather and sheaths them. He sits down on a boulder and starts shuffling through his bag pulling out a rather stout bottle of Mead, he uncorks it and takes a few deep swigs of the broo, a satisfied sigh signaling his pleasure.

"Aye i be needing that, all this tomb diving and killing builds a first!" he wipes his mouth and beard before taking another deep swig. He gives Tharadin a quick glare and toys with the idea of testing if the barrier had ceased over the night, he picks up a stone and lobs it towards him, the pebble repels off the same force feild and vanishes deep into the cavern, Ebnar lets out a wary sigh and grumble and leans forward and stares at the nearby pitt.

"Well least no beastie done come an got us in the night, i nay like my sleep disturbed!" he pushes himself up and approaches the pitt and glares down it while taking another swing of mead, for a moment he could of swore he saw a shadow move very fast deep within the void, he stops and stares a moment longer but finally concludes it be his imagination. He turns and looks at the group.

"When the rest of ye louts done had enough beauty rest i say we done get ourselves down there! We nay come across any decent treasure and me coin purse aint getting any heavier!"

-End Turn-
    edited December 2012
    Awaking from a fitful sleep with his back to the cavern wall between two bolders, Demeisen stands, stretches his back and rolls his neck with an audible crack. He then stows away his sleeping blanket and pads over to the rocky ledge and peers down chewing on a strip of dried meat from his pack.

He then looks round at his rising companions.

"well, seems we survived the night" *he stops and scowls round the cavern* "or day... or whatever time it is in this cursed place."

Washing the meat down with a sip from his dented flask, he glances down at the coiled rope on the edge of the drop.

"Since we're here already, we may as well carry on down"

*thinks for a moment looking over the ledge*

"that goblin disappeared so fast i half suspect the idiot creature may have fallen to its death running from us, maybe thats why we managed to rest here unmolested?"

He shrugs, puts away his flask and draws his cloak about him.

"Im reasonably certain i can climb down there without drawing undue attention, perhaps I should go down first for a look-see"

(votes to descend)

(end turn)

• ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    IC:
    Tanis awoke after what he believed could only be the worst night of "rest" of his life, and living on the streets off and on for most of it, is really saying something.

"I wouldn't have said the Thieves Guild were ones for luxury, but it's been long enough since I had to sleep on a stone floor that i forgot what it was like." He sighed, and sat up from where he was lying.

To be greeted by Ebnar gallumping about with no grace at all. And already drinking.

He opened his mouth to remonstrate the dwarf for his lack of courtesy, and then closed it, thinking better of saying anything. What would be the point after all?

He sighed again, and then stood up to gather up his things.

"Why do I get the feeling that we are going to have to fight our way through a nest of Goblins to find our way, hmm?" He asked rhetorically.

"Once Tharadin is up and about, we should get on then."

OOC:
    Does that mean we are all fully healed and replenished?
    edited December 2012

OOC:
    Does that mean we are all fully healed and replenished?

correct
    Ebnar runs his hand through his beard, fidlin the singe parts left from the Hellhounds firebreath, while his facial hair had already started to grow back it would be several days before it was back to its former glory. He grimaces and takes his hand away, scratching his rear end and mumbling under his breath, he looks at Tanthalas and snorts.

"That be the problem with ye Elves n Humans, too use to sleeping on soft pillows and feathered beds, makes ye soft! a real man enjoys a hard slab of rock beneath him, stiffens the spine! I done sleep better down ere than i do in ye surface inns!"

He turns to address Demeisen.

"If ye be wanting to cave dive thief ye be welcome to it"

Ebnar folds his arms and twists his neck again.

"But less ye be having some Dwarf or Elf blood in ye veins ye aint gonna be seeing nuthin as ye descending, and i nay have ye falling, be needing ye for trap finding, else it will fall to prince charming to be the trap fodder... hmm on second thought pehaps that be a better idea!"

The Dwarf laughs and begins surveying the surrounding area, he notices a small dried branch on the cavern floor, he walks over and snatches it up, while old it still seemed sturdy, fishing into his bag he removes a ragged cloth and raps it around one end of the dried wood. He signals to Tanthalas.

"Elf, be making yeself useful and be sparking a light on this branch, i being saying a 'spark'! so dont be conjuring up a mass of flame n fire, i nay be having me beard any more burnt than it already is!"

He points the ragged cloth end of the branch out toward Tanthalas.

-End Turn-
    edited December 2012
    IC:
    Tanis glowered at the grumpy dwarf, hating that he is probably right. Sleeping in a soft bed for so long as part of the the Baldur's Gate Thieves Guild (one of their mage enforcers) had made him unused to the difficulties of sleeping rough on stone floors.

"Now I begin to understand the wood kin's love of the forest..." He mused and then laughed, "At least the forest floor would be soft!"

He wandered over to the hole, to stand next to Demeisen and Ebnar.

"Sure thing, grumpy!" He chriped, with a smirk, and extended his hand towards the cloth.

He focussed his mind, imagined that his arcane power would coalesce on the tips of his fingers as he did the day before when threatening Ebnar with Fireball. The spark of flame light and danced across his fingers... and the little flame happily leapt from his fingers onto the cloth causing it to gently light up.

"We have a torch, friend Ebnar!" Tanis grinned.

OOC:
    So basically I rolled a 1d6 there to see if the magic would give me a flame, and then another 1d6 to see if id manage to light the cloth with it. I took anything above a 3 to be success. Rolled 4 and then a 5; so happily we got a torch and Tanis didn't accidentally set fire to Ebnar in the process.

If Knoland wants to do the rolling himself I can edit out the part where we have success. Or if he is happy to have left it to me as a role play thing... or what.
    Players can make rolls on this type of subject matter to help evolve the story ;) only allow me to roll for battles and for ability checks regarding traps, and feats.

Waiting on Tharadin before my next turn...
    edited December 2012
    Demeisen rolls his eyes at the dwarfs disparaging comment on the softness of humans and elves

"well, you can keep your stone beds Ebnar" *grins* "love the new beard by the way, may need to comb it over a bit there, hey?"

Demeisen glances down into the darkness briefly then steps back away from the edge and watches in interest as Ebnar and Tanis make up a torch

"yes I suppose it is too dark for me to see much down there... what are you doing with that torch?"

Ebnar grumbles under his breath.

"I nay be grumpy ye pointy eared limp Elf...! I be in a good mood! cant ye be telling the diffrence!!?" Ebnar growls and waves the Elf off.

"Be plenty of gold for the taking, i can smell it! And with any luck we be running across a whole camp of the small green bastards! I be needing a real fight after that sorrow excuse of a knights attempt to 'put me in my place'! HAH"

Ebnar chuckles to himself. Which is silenced with Demeisen's comment, he quickly turns his head and gives the thief a sharp look, grabbing his beard and stroking the burnt edges slightly.

"Be watching it thief! Be a shame if the rope done 'accidently' snapped when you was scaling down!" the Dwarf coldy laughs.

Hobbling over to the edge of the pitt Ebnar hangs the torch out in front of him. He turns a looks at Demeisen.

"What it for? to give ye some light ofcourse!"

Ebnar takes a swig of Mead and promtly spits it out in flurry of droplets which collide with the torch causing a large flame to erupt from the fire, they form in droplets of fireballs which slide down the abyss walls, some falling directly to the bottom of vast void, lighting the bottom up ever so slightly, the fire on the walls begins a slow slide down the walls creating long streams of blazing fire, greatly increasing the visability of the steep desent atleast.

Ebnar pulls back, he notices a small part of his beard caught alight which he quikcly pats out in a quckiend fashion, the smell of burnt hair singes up his nose. He grumbles, no doubt cursing yet another fire assault on his beard, he turns to face the group, holding up his bottle of Mead.

"This be Dwarven Quicklime Ceiling Oil, we use it for alluminating caverns we aint got around to constructing, mostly used by sappers but any Dwarf with the knowledge of it can be making use of it, its a special mixture, makes it hard to put out."

He takes a deep swig of it and sighs.

"Also makes a fair Mead!"

The Dwarf laughs, which echoes around the cavern.

"The fires wont be lasting long though, i nay enough to make the effect last longer than say an hour, so if ye gonna start climbing i say get to it right quick. I dont be having enough for another go"

-End Turn-
    edited December 2012
    Demeisen holds his hands up to placate the grumbling dwarf with a smile and chokes back a snort of laughter as he sets yet more of his beard on fire.

He steps up next to the dwarf as he pats on his smoldering beard and looks down the illuminated shaft, seeing a line of glowing fire where the oil has splattered down the rock face and pooling dimly on the floor far below.

The way down is still dark, and stretches of the climb are still covered in shadow between the patches of burning oil, but enough is visible to make a reasonably safe descent.

"Potent mixture... you drink that stuff? what the hells is in it?" *shakes his head* "never mind, I dont want to know"

Demeisen picks up the coiled rope and throws it carefully over the edge watching as it unwinds and comes to rest near the bottom of the pit.

Gathering his nerve he checks the top end is still well secured then takes the rope round his body and rapidly decends, keeping as quiet as possible on the way down.

Post edited by Ashtone on
    OOC:
    Is @Anduine gone?
    edited December 2012
    *awakens with a deep yawn, followed by a heavy sigh*

"I have not enough favour with my Gods to heal so heavily without draining my body of all fortitude...*sighs again* Anymore circumstances like we just had and we will need a well-fortified place to rest, and without interruption. We were chosen of fortune this time, and nothing more."

*Listens to the other companions as they discuss the next course of action*

"It would seem that Demeisen climbing down would be the wisest choice."

(Turn end)
    Demeisen descends down the cavern hole with ease and reaches the bottom he ties the rope to a sturdy looking rock to help stabilize the line. At the bottom is a huge stone doorway with many Dwarven carvings and a large metal door. Two torches are placed on either side of the doorway and a trail of blood and footprints disappears into the door. The sounds of machines echo from the other side...

Demeisen sees locking mechanism attached to the large metal door. If only he had a key as this door looks to be too complicated for his lock-picking skills...

(DM) turn end
    edited December 2012
    Demeisen drops the last few feet of the climb to the cave floor, landing soundlessly in a patch of shadow.
    Crouching down he slowly moves his eyes round the gloom, taking note of the bloody footprints leading up to, and disappearing into the colossal Iron door. Not seeing any immediate threat, Demeisen creeps slowly out of the shadows and hugs the side of the room approaching the doorway, Keeping half an eye on the floor in front of him for any concealed nasties.

Demeisen pads into the light cast by the flickering torches and looks up at the vast, rune covered door.
    He runs his eyes over the door; it is well made and fits snugly into its stone frame, no handle is visible but there is what appears to be some form of locking mechinism. 'dwarvish made, no way im picking that' he thinks. He then steps close to the door and gently runs his hands round the edges he can reach, looking for any telltale signs of a trigger switch or other traps upon the door.

(if any traps were found, he attempts to disable them)

Satisfied, Demeisen removes one of the torches from its sconce and moves back to the shaft to call his companions down.

IC:
    Tanis peered down the shaft, listening for Demeisen giving the all clear, and when he did the elf immediately clambered over the edge and began climbing down using the rope.

He reached the bottom with alacrity.

"Hello, hello friend Demeisen!" He said, and grinned, "Anything going?"

OOC:
    Tanis' magic might work on the door?
    Ebnar leers down to see Demeisen waving his hand signaling the rest of the party to follow, the Dwarf runs his hands through his beard and begins mumbling to himself.

"Ah hells! i nay be meant for this cave diving business, Dwarves werent built to be resisting gravity.." he rubs the back of his neck and thinks his next action through. He sees Tanthalas quickly scale down the vast casm with ease, which causes the Dwarf to snort frustratedly.

"Hmph! i nay be having an Elf outshine me while underground!"

Filled with a new sense of purpose, Ebnar grabs the rope and begins to slowerly scale down the void. His steps are clumsey and unsuttle, he takes deep breaths each time, as he gets closer to bottom he becomes overconfident which causes him to loose his grip, he falls the final few metres landing on his back, a ringing of plate mail and cursing bouncing off the walls. He pushes himself up, rubbing his back, he takes a quick glare at Demeisan and Tanthalas to see if they noticed his ungraceful fall.

"By the hairy arse of my ancestors...!" he grumbles still rubbing his back, he turns and begins a small limp over to the two.

"Well...?" he says trying to straighten his back, pretending his not in pain. "What you gone found thief?" its then that he notices the large Dwarven runed door, his eyes brighten. He suddenly gets a new lease of life in his step as he quickly dashes over to the door, running his hand over the surface, a grin creeping on his face.

"By the hells...could this be...?" he takes a few steps back, gawking up at the great structure.

-End Turn-
    •Demeison discovers a trap on door

Waiting for Tharadin to continue...
    Trap has been disarmed*
    edited December 2012
    *Tharadin ties part of the rope around him and rappels his way down with almost military precision, landing relatively easily. He unties the rope from himself and has a look at the stone door before him. Curious if it will work, he pulls out the key that he took from one of the previously slain goblins and tries it on the door after Demeisen disabled the trap.*

(Turn end)
    edited December 2012
    The door unlocks with crackling of gears and tumblers and a erie light begins to pour out of the opening.. The adventurers peer inside the door to see what is inside. Not far from the door is the body of the wounded Goblin, it's head appears to be smashed. The sound of mining picks and machines grows louder and beyond the goblin corpse is the faint outlines of goblin made machines used for extracting silver from the rock ore.

The faint voices of many goblins can also be heard...

(DM) turn end
    *Tharadin puts the key back in one of his satchels and puts some distance between he and the door until it is decided how the party would like to enter.*
    edited December 2012
    As Tharadin turns the old key in the lock, Demeisen casts his torch away into a corner. The door seems to open itself on some kind of automatic mechinism and as it grinds open, he sees the mutilated corpse of what he guesses must be the stray Goblin they were pursuing. Its body lies twisted just inside the doorway, Its head, he notes somewhat queasily, has been smashed open like an overripe melon.

*turns aside to spits on the floor whilst breathing through his nose*

"Well last goblin accounted for i suppose" *looks back at corpse* "must of forgot about the trap on this door
    in his hurry to get to his friends?"

Demeisen moves into the doorway and carefully leans through, looking up and from side to side for whatever may have sprung out and smashed the unfortunate green skin. Squatting down, He then thoroughly checks the floor under the beast for any trap switches before standing back up and adressing his companions quietly

(checked floor and walls on the far side of the door for traps)

"Hope I didnt miss anything there, I'll sneak in first, see what there is to see then come get you"

Demeisen checks his weapons, takes a slow breath, then steps quickly and quietly into the room, fading into the shadows as he moves

(hides in the shadows)

(If i see any enemies, I come back and tell the party, if not i call them in)
    Tanis and Ebnar's turn...
    Ebnar watches as the vast doors swing open, he rubs his hands and stokes his beard, his grin still imminent on his face. He turns and looks at Tharadin, a wide smile aimed at the cleric for a change.

"By the hells! ye actually be having some use afterall knight! maybe ye aint just good fer monster bait afterall!" the Dwarf roars a laughter,

he grabs his belt and goes to storm down the passage but is stopped as Demeisen points out the dead Goblin, Ebnar walks over to it kicks it over with his toe, he mumbles under his breath though as to what is anyones guess. He loses intrest in the spectacle afterawhile and snorts.

"Be its own fault, it were gonna die either way, if not ere then by me axe when we caught up with him, one less Goblin in world, i say that be good enough!" he stomps on its head causing one of its eyes to pop out.

Turning his attention back towards the passage way Ebnar picks up his pace again, almost unintrested if his group was following or not, he stops as Demeisen points out there could be traps ahead. Grumbling the Dwarf kicks the dirt and glares down the passageway, he considers continuing anyway but thinks better of it. Finally he growls to himself and takes a few steps back to the group.

"Fine, be having it ye way Thief! Just dont be taking forever!"

Accepting his choice, Ebnar moves over to the wall and leans against it, he takes another sip of his mead and wipes his mouth, this time with a far less satisfied sigh.

-End Turn-
    Tanis tentatively followed the other's through the door.

Carefully he cast a quick look at the dead goblin .

"Let's try and stay as quiet as we can moving forward." He said, "I am happy if you want to scout ahead Demeisen."

-End Turn-
    As Ebnar takes a sip from his flask of mead he leans on a trap hidden near the wall this sets off a chain reaction of other traps set. Demeisen quickly tumbles away from them as does Tanis unscathed.

Ebnar rolls a dexterity ability check and fails for (13) damage.
    Tharadin is caught by a deadly spike that lands on his head... Tharadin is instantly killed...

(DM) turn end