Skip to content

ETA?

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @FuzzyPuffin Sent you a PM :)

@rexreg Who? Me? :)
  • clocknovaclocknova Member Posts: 23
    Alright! No need to buy it from the App Store!
  • DrakonDrakon Member Posts: 47
    SteamPlay PC/Mac + their launcher would be awesome.
  • AurytAuryt Member Posts: 8
    Oh not released on the app store? :( That's unfortunate for me since I was saving a gift card for the app store, just for this. Will you guys eventually get it released to the app store or never? I don't mind waiting :) If not I will try to get it sometime when I have the extra funds.
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    I don't care about the app store, or steam, or gog, or beamdog client. Just let use download the game and use GameSpy like the old days. Whats wrong with that?
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    edited February 2013
    @Drakon Indeed it would, but SteamPlay is in Atari's hands.
    @Auryt Mac Store is still planned. I don't think it'll be that long after the beamdog version, but it's up to Apple.
    @Goddard there is no Beamdog client for the Mac. You just download the launcher and it downloads/updates the game for you. Just like how it works with Blizzard's games. Also, GameSpy should die in a fire.
  • blueblue Member Posts: 39
    While I wait I'm playing Fallout 2, which only reminds me about how cool BG is.
  • blueblue Member Posts: 39
    Im happy they are creating their own client! Screw the app store!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Does having the stand alone launcher mean they don't have to deal with the app submittable process, and can simply patch the game at will?
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134

@Drakon Indeed it would, but SteamPlay is in Atari's hands.
    @Auryt Mac Store is still planned. I don't think it'll be that long after the beamdog version, but it's up to Apple.
    @Goddard there is no Beamdog client for the Mac. You just download the launcher and it downloads/updates the game for you. Just like how it works with Blizzard's games. Also, GameSpy should die in a fire.

The pre-game lobbies are genius and every client should have them. I don't know if you want to give GameSpy credit for that, or some one else, but that is what I am talking about.

A everyone lobby with names and pictures and the ability to mute retards and then individual game lobbies before you launch your game.

You can meet new people and join others games. It was perfect. Not sure what issues you had with GameSpy.
    edited February 2013
    @Goddard I hated Gamespy because they charged obscene license fees, which made it cost prohibitive for mac porting companies to port games that used it. They effectively dropped mac support by doing that. And I never felt it worked as well as other games' own multiplayer lobbies, or Gameranger.

But yes, lobbies are nice.

@bigdogchris Yes, that's why they are doing it.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2013
    News from Twitter: @TrentOster twittered: "We are just laying out plans to launch the Mac version and sync up the other platform versions. This is getting a little complicated."

Whoohoo!(?)

EDIT: sorry, this was already posted... Ah well, good news 2x = better news, right?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2013
    While someone previously explained the benefits of the Beamdog client does that mean the game will be buggy on release? I thought the issue with the Apple Store route was that fixes were needed?
    The main issue with the Apple Store route is that it takes forever to update. Generally speaking, the Windows and OSX versions are the same. In other words, barring some rare platform bugs (I'm a beta tester and I haven't encountered any), one should not be buggier than the other. My experiences in the beta are positive.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yes, the game will eventually be in the Mac App store.

Due to the nature of the game - where 80% of what makes up what you perceive as the game is common across platforms - the Mac version will always be as "buggy" as the PC version. There will be one key difference between the two platforms: there will be fewer hardware compatibility issues on the Mac because Mac hardware is much less diverse (and generally higher quality) than PC hardware.

Whenever any game is released, there are issues that are more easily found by thousands of users than they are by a small team of developers. Having their own launcher gives Beamdog the flexibility to address those issues on the same development cycle as the PC version.

There is a fallacy of opinion that Apple "tests" app store games, and rejects them if they are buggy. Anyone who has bought anything from the MAS or the iOS App store knows that this is just wrong. Apple rejects apps if they violate their development guidelines - using restricted APIs, violating their arcane sandboxing rules, etc. So what Apple is "protecting" you from are low level details that have no impact on whether or not you enjoy the game, and frankly Apple can require the developers to implement things in a way that you might call it a bug.

If you are currently debating whether to wait for the Mac version, or buy the PC version and run it in Parallels, then this announcement should make you happy. If you are waiting for a "bug free" version of BG:EE...well, take a look at the known issues list in the BGEE Bugs forum, and the known issues list in the iPad forum, and decide if you want to wait for a few updates before you buy.
    edited February 2013
    @Bhaaldog Don't worry. As @Cerevant said the issues with the Mac version are the same as with the other platforms. Although I believe it will not be suffering the Intel Graphics problems due to better OpenGL drivers in the Mac side.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, at least this time the '22 new posts' meant something had actually been announced. Interested to see what the new thing is, though!
  • willwillwillwill Member Posts: 23
    Crash bug and touch pad bug mentioned here earlier do not sound "violating developement guidelines" for me.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    So does this mean we're talking days now rather than weeks..? Beyond excited that it's close to coming out! :D
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    If they have a launcher, it seems likely that it'll release with the next patch, which apparently they're close to completing.
    willwill said:

Crash bug and touch pad bug mentioned here earlier do not sound "violating developement guidelines" for me.

There's a difference between Overhaul pulling the build and Apple rejecting it. I reported the touchpad bug, and the crash bug was reported by another beta tester.
    edited February 2013
    willwill said:

If there are obvious problems while testing, Apple will reject it--and that includes crashing. But as @cerevant said, we caught them first.
    Why did I get this sudden vision of betatesters hunting wild bugs out in the wild? :)
    Actually, wouldn't it be more correct to say they are being hunted in captivity? Although, it sounds a lot less impressive that way ;)