Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Series, and Icewind Dale Series Minimal Reload Challenge (Spoiler Warning!)

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @CharlestonianTemplar - Baeloth is the guy that runs the Black Pits. Hes an easter egg character that you get when you go to the tower at Larswood when you're 5th level or higher.
    edited March 2013
    Alright, did all of the de'Arnise hold.

On the way to going to the City gates, Saki and her group were attacked by bandits, and easily dispatched. Those Athkatlan Guards must be lazy.

Then, Saki realized she could inquire about how mages were able to cast spells while in Athkatla, so she went to the Government District and spent Five-thousand gold for a magic casting liscense for her spellcasters. Seeing as most of the group was filled with divine casters...

Next, she was ambushed about three more times. All trouble makers were dealt with in the same fashion.

Lastly, Saki cleared out the de'Arnise hold. Destroying all trolls including Tor'Gal. Jaheira had been brutalized by the troll, but then Saki and Yoshimo had to distract the troll from Anomen, Nalia, and Arath. Nalia dealt the final blow with her Melf's Acid Arrow while Arath was casting Barkskin upon himself.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Upon returning to Athkatla, three people had enquired about Saki. A woman named Valen, Galen's nephew, Brus, and another man that said that he could take Saki away from her troubles. Saki had denied the last guy, and then, Saki had spent most of her money on some equipement, like a Katana +1.

Current Party
    Saki: Kensai - 10
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 9/11
    Anomen: Fighter < Cleric - 7 < 11
    Yoshimo: Bounty Hunter - 11
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 < 11
    Arath: Avenger: 12

Reloads: 0

Notes: Just for all those that are wondering, Nalia isn't there for thief skills, shes there for her magic. Also, Poor Jaheira.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2013
    Snow Drow and the Wee Three -

Here they are fresh out of Candlekeep - the latest group from Wanderon Restarted now hitting the Minimal Reload Circuit we bring you the sultry - the sinister - the spectacular - the Viconian Vixen - Snow Drow - and her tiny band of height challenged - kneecapping - ankle bustin' - butt knifing - mini maulers - the Wee Three.

Come ye all to the Meetin' & Greetin' Whhooooeeee Halleluliah butter my buns and call me a biscuit this is gonna be some show!

Ahem.....

So here we go - the Wee Three - a multi\solo group led from the rear by:

Gwendolyn Goobersnit - F - CN - Gnome - Cleric/Illusionist 12-18-16-19-17-9
    Club * Sling *

with Frontman & Foundation

Axami Stonefeet - M - LN - Dwarf - Dwarven Defender 18/93-16-19-10-10-11
    Axe ** S&S Style **

and Skulking Slinging Scoundrel

Palin Pigsticker - M - CN -Halfling - Asassin 17-19-17-10-10-12
    Dagger * Sling *

Recently joined by - Viconia (aka Snow Drow)

I am incorporating some of Lemernis "Let the Fates Decide" mechanics in this one to a much lesser degree than he does - occasionally using cards or dice to decide direction, next objective, whether to start a quest or not, etc.

Now that I've blown the next three decades of literary imagination on the opening lines I'm probably going to stick with "Journal Lite" on this - just occasional updates on whats been accomplished or failed and how we stand on the reload & death counts. Better weather has to be coming soon so I'd rather spend time playing than writing as other activities begin to cut into play time.

So far we have left Imoen on the road - avoided (or maybe run off with low charisma?) the Zhents, got Joia her ring, rescued our drow, killed Karlet, calmed Marl, traded books with Firebead, entered High Hedge, and headed south out of Beregost.

No reloads - no deaths - yet...

Brief Update: cleared map south of Beregost - dwarf dies (ghoul) - death 1 (revived)
    Post edited by Wanderon on
    Snow Drow & The Wee Three

Update:

The group headed for Nashkel with no further ado where they refused Minsc (card draw) – who died when he attacked us – recruited Edwin (card draw) – and picked up ankeg armor (card draw).

Then avoided Xvart village (card draw), went west from there (card draw), headed south immediately missing most of that map (card draw) killed the bridge bear but lost Vic to it – causing the dwarf to kill the quest giver when he only gave us 50 gold (impulse) dropping rep to 6 in spite of the fact no one saw us do so LOL.

Continued on instead of raising Vic (card draw), entered gnoll map took out the bridge guards – entered fortress, lost Edwin to the very last batch of gnolls – recruited Dyna – returned to Nashkel (no tome exploration) (card draw) – dropped Edwins body near Minsc body and un-recruited Dyna to guard them.

Current levels

Gwen Cleric 2/Illusionist 1
    Vic - cleric 3
    Palin - Assassin 3
    Axami - DD 2

No reloads – 3 deaths – (2 revivied – 1 dropped) - I am thinking I will not raise any "extra" team members out side these 4
    Had a test, thought I did good on it so, I thought I would give a progress report.

Saki was now on the hunt for more gold. Mostly for new equipment. Can't save Imoen with subpar items can we? This quest for gold led Saki to the Bridge District. There, she investigated some murders, and they were the most heinous murders ever.

Saki had gotten leather working supplies from the people that she had interrogated. Which meant only one thing, it was Miss Scarlet in the Observatory! that the Tanner had committed these crimes! Saki had told the inspector, and he went ahead of her.

Once at the Tanner's place, the Tanner tried to make up a story. It didn't work and Saki mercilessly followed him through his house, eventually finding things that she wish she had never uncovered. Then on the bottom level, a fight had ensued because the Tanner had escaped. Saki and Jaheira took some hits, but the Potion of Extra Healing saved them.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Current Party
    Saki: Kensai - 10
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 9/11
    Anomen: Fighter < Cleric - 7 < 11
    Yoshimo: Bounty Hunter - 12
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 < 11
    Arath: Avenger - 12

Reloads: 0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    a.png 1.7M
    b.png 1000.6K
    c.png 1.1M
    d.png 1.1M
    1.png 1.6M
    q.png 1.5M
    1.png 1.5M
    2.png 1.3M
    3.png 907.6K
    4.png 1.4M
    1.png 836.7K
    2.png 853.7K
    3.png 861.9K
    4.png 924.8K
    6.png 668.1K
    8.png 844.6K
    9.png 1022.9K
    Snow Drow and the Wee Three:

Update Nashkel mines:

The group met Dorn and declined to take him in for now then took out Greywolf losing Palin in the fight – raised him and cleared the mines –

It looked like the Mulahey battle was going south with Snow under rigid thinking and Palin held with most of the minions still kicking and Mulahay injured but still active – Gwen had mage armor up and didn’t take any damage from the minions sticking her and used up her scrolls and missle wand keeping Mulahey from casting successfully while Axami finally fought his way out from the circle of minions holding him in place and smacked Mulahey down for good.

Picked up Xan – rested and left. – scouted the amazons (card draw) but Palin dropped out of stealth before he was in place to backstab and fell almost immediately but a hold took 2 out of the fight and a charm from Xan gave us an ally with another and we whittled them down without much further problem.

Carried Palin and the loot to the Carnival – sold some and rested (card draw) – entered Nashkel and raised Palin and walked up to Nimbul taking him out before he could get a spell off.

Current Levels:
    Snow – C - 4
    Gwen C - 3/I - 2
    Axami DD - 3
    Palin A-3 (almost 4 when he will put a pip in Longsword for Backstabs prior to getting DoV)
    Xan 2 – probably going to drop him in Nashkel and with our rep only 8 he will probably vanish.

No reloads – 5 deaths – 4 revived – 1 dropped
    Snow Drow & the Wee Three

Update:

The party did some exploring after dropping Xan off in Nashkel – was somewhat surprised he did not vanish on us but he suggested we may travel together again one day. In no particular order we: saved a tree and a cat, cleared the area around the Beregost temple – took out Tranzig, hunted a couple white wolves, beat the fastest dart thrower, and cleared the rest of the amazon map.

Had two reloads – one to cover a mistake when Palin died in a cave and we forgot to grab his gear before we left and it was gone when we returned including Varscona, Harrower, & heart of the golem and I had already committed his last pip to longsword (after dagger and sling) and didn’t want to punish him for my silly mistake LOL.

The other was more legit – our leader died battling the group from Amn south of Nashkel as they could not seem to fail a save of any kind (3 commands and a couple holds all fizzled IIRC) – they were not so lucky the next time around and we took them out fairly quickly.

Current levels:
    Vic – C-5
    Palin A-5
    Axami DD-5
    Gwen C-4/I-3

Debating on whether to pick up someone else – an archer type would be nice I hate to just sell these magic arrows we are collecting – maybe I will draw a card each time we are in the vicinity of another NPC – rep is back to average (10) and I may try to keep it there.

May draw a card to see which way we will head next as well. I usually like to clear the coast before the Bandit camp but we shall see what the fates have in store for us.

Fun group so far – the dwarf is like a little brick wall with an axe and Viccy is tanking well too (probably because the dwarf gets most of the attention) Gwen is doing fine but Palin is a little squishy and has died several times while Vic died once and Gwen died once.

Recap – 2 reloads (1 player mistake, 1 -Amn group) 9 deaths 7 revived, 1 reloaded main, 1 dropped.
    1.png 1.1M
    2.png 702.5K
    3.png 802.4K
    4.png 813.9K
    5.png 793.8K
    6.png 1.3M
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    After a needed break at the FAI we assaulted the Cloakwood Mines again, intent on completing the 3rd level down, at a minimum. I’ve decided we just cannot risk resting in those mines unless we are at top form, minus fatigue. There is just too much a chance to meet entire squads of guards or Hobgoblins (not sure if these guys are Chill).

We fought & killed maybe 30 Hobgoblins down here, in addition to numerous guards. The Hobgoblin barracks were on this level as were the rooms the human guards used.

More Hobgoblins!

We ran into a Mage in one of the rooms but drew her into the hall and were able to deal w/her & a few Hobgoblins that were @ her side rather easily. In addition, there was an absolutely gruesome Ogre Mage down there that we found & took out of the Faerun.

Key Event: We’d been down here a week or so ago, and ran into an ambush trying to rest in one of the rooms. Ten guards in Leather Armor, Shield, w/Long Sword attacked us as we dozed. We just DID NOT react well and got separated. Dynahier used her Wand of Fear (or maybe she cast Horror) but whatever the case, while it eliminated the immediate threat of most of the guards; it added mass confusion to an already confusing situation. I didn’t have control of my followers & they were spread out all over the dungeon. It’s a wonder we didn’t attract more attention to us – attention we definitely didn’t need. We survived a disjointed and disoriented battle.

Treasure of note: Studded Leather Armor +1 (Minsc may use this & drop the plate in order to better use his Ranger’s Stealth skill. In this case, he’ll drop back to using his Composite Bow over Spider’s Bane. He and Khalid, backed up by Imoen & Jaheira would pack a solid ‘ranged’ punch. We’re still mulling this over.

Current Disposition: Resting, Recuperating & Resupplying @ the FAI

Next Steps: Four levels down

Level Up: Jaheira is now an Initiate of the 3rd Circle (Druid/5) & still a Hero (Fighter/5). Dynahier has increased to Thaumaturgist (Mage-Invoker/5) & selected Mirror Image, Slow & Fireball spells to add to our cause.

Current Party: (Reputation: 19 - Heroic)
    Behmen von Bleibruck, Ftr(Wzd-Slr)/5 (18/27, 10, 16, 10, 15, 11*)
    Akg PlMail/LShld w/BSwd & HCBow; *Tome of L/I
    Imoen: Thf/Lvl6, StLthr w/SBow, SSwd +1; RoPr+1
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl5, PlMail w/LBow +2, Varscona +2 LSwd & GWExp (MdShld)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//Lvl5/4, StLthr w/Slg +1, Sctr +2 & Club (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*); RoH, RoAF
    Minsc: Rgr/5, FPMail w/2HS+2, CLBow, Mace; RoPr+1
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/Lvl/5, Mage Robe FR w/Slg, Dgr; Wands (MMs, Frost, Fear); RoEM

Reloads: 3 (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul
    I returned to Cloakwood Mines to complete my mission there & try to tie all of this together. I quickly descended the three levels we’d already cleared, killing groups of pesky Hobgoblins that continue to wander the mines, probably those that were out patrolling or running other errands for their ‘master’ when my followers & I’d been here earlier. Unfortunately my group began to tire & I made the mistake of trying to rest on the 3rd level again. We were suddenly discovered mid- slumber by a squad of human guards armed w/Long Swords & protected by Splint Mail & Shield. I’d not allowed any one to remove their armor this time, only to ground their main weapons, helms, gauntlets. We were able, w/difficulty to defeat them all but lost time having to exit the mines & rest outside. Even there, we were discovered by another squad of human guards. Rather than engage them, we evaded south to the area where we’d found the Cloakwood Wyvern cave; there we were able to rest & return to the mines much refreshed. Once again, my followers & I had to swat Hobgoblins before we were able to descend to the 4th level of the mines.

Key Event: I found Davaeorn, a wizard, who turned out to be the ‘Master of the Cloakwood Mines.’ He was a tough cuss. He took out Jaheira w/a Lightning Bolt & then Imoen a short time later w/a Fireball. I kept pressing him while Dy fired off spell after spell. Khalid & Minsc fired arrows until I finally started landing blows through his protective barrier. Then they too rushed in to assist me in melee drawing their swords to help. They did help, Minsc landing the decisive blow. Unfortunately, we needed Imoen to get into the treasure chests we found so we returned to the FAI to visit Galena @ the Temple of Wisdom. After raising Imoen & Jaheira, we reorganized & returned but still needed Dy’s Knock spell to open the chests.

From there we returned to the main floor & gave the key that would unlock the river plug to the slave who had knowledge of how to work it. The mine is now flooded & all the slaves escaped. My mission continues to Baldur’s Gate!

Treasure of note: Bracers to the Death (Defense AC6) – Dynahier. This enabled Dy to erase Armor from her spellbook making room for others. We also recovered a Robe of the Evil Arch Magi & sold it for good gold.

Current Disposition: Resting & recuperating on the road to Baldur’s Gate.

Next Steps: Baldur’s Gate

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 20 - Heroic)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//Lvl5/4, StLthr w/Slg +1, Sctr +2 & Club (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*); RoH, RoAF
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/Lvl/5, Mage Robe FR w/Slg, Dgr; Wands (MMs, Frost, Fear); RoEM

Reloads: 3 (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul
    Key Event: On the road to Baldur’s Gate I made a cardinal mistake. There are 2 rules I try to enforce in myself. 1, never stop to battle attackers that try to waylay me on the road, no matter how tempting. I did & I died from a Wyvern sting. Thankfully, my followers continue to be more than loyal & they returned me to Galena @ the FAI where she raised me.

Oh, the 2nd rule is, be very selective about buying magic in shops, lest I buy something & then find it, or something even better, a short time later.

I made it to Baldur’s Gate after a treacherous journey back through the Cloakwood – it seems you can’t go directly from the Cloakwood Mines to the road that leads north.

When I arrived in Baldur’s Gate I was met by Scar, 2nd in command of the Flaming Fist (FF). When he realized I was the man behind the breakup of the iron ruining operation @ the Nashkel Mines, he asked me to look into suspicions he had about the Seven Suns Trading Company. He thinks its top officials have been acting strangely & needs someone not well known in Baldur’s Gate to investigate.

As we were looking around for an Inn & visiting various shops, we ran into Aldeth Sashenstar, our new friend, the one we’d helped near the Cloakwood Lodge. He indicated that his partners had been acting strangely since he returned from his hunting trip. He asked if I’d investigate. After finally finding an inn w/enough rooms for all of us & buying some magic items I returned to the ML. After conferring w/the Captain of the Guard & investigating @ his leave, it became apparent that Doppelgangers had taken the place of Aldeth’s partners. We killed them mercilessly & Aldeth rewarded me with an enchanted Bastard Sword that is especially lethal to Shapeshifters – just hours after I’d spend gold on another enchanted Bastard Sword. Regardless, the one Aldeth gave me is more powerful so I’ll sell the former.

Treasure of note: Kondar +1 (bastard Sword +1/+3 vs. Shapeshifters) (Behmen)

Current Disposition: Resting, Recuperating, Resupplying @ an Inn in SE Baldur’s Gate.

Next Steps: Seven Suns

Reloads: 4* (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul; Wyvern (Cloakwood Wilderness)
    * 3 of 4 reloads from fighting ‘waylaying’ enemies – see rule 1. above
    edited April 2013
    I led my followers to the Seven Suns to investigate the situation for Scar. It was easy to figure out what was going on, especially having just left Aldeth Sashenstar & the Merchant League. The place was overrun w/Doppelganger's. We quickly saved Jhasso, Scar’s friend & acquaintance. Then we wiped out the remainder of the Doppelganger’s & returned to Scar. We received triple the reward we’d been promised! He asked us if we might further aid him by investigating a string of disappearances in the Eastern part of the city. He thought the sewers tunnels would a good place to look. We accepted.

As we continued looking around the city that we might be more familiar with available inn’s & stores, we were approached by an irate noblewoman who spoke of a mage who was holding a Nymph prisoner in his home. We assured her we’d look into it. It wasn’t long before we were approached by a wizard, Ramazith by name, who wanted us to bring him that same Nymph. So we headed in the direction we’d been given & easily found the wizard & the Nymph. The wizard, Ragefest & the Nymph, had had a previous relationship but the Nymph no longer wanted to stay. Ragefest was brokenhearted but relented when Dy convinced him it was best.

Key Event: When we returned to Ramazith he was enraged & blasted us w/a Lightning Bolt & challenged us to follow him to the top of his ‘tower home.’ We conducted a retrograde & headed to the Temple of Helm where the Priest performed Raise Dead on Jaheira who’d been double blasted with the aforementioned Lightning Bolt. We returned to Ramazith’s Tower & worked our way upward thru Mustard Jellies, Ghasts, Hobgoblin Elites & Kobold Commando’s before finding him. Minsc took charge here, using his Ranger’s stealth to work his way from floor to floor & used his Composite Longbow w/deadly accuracy, engaging the enemy & drawing them to us. He quaffed a Potion of Magic Blocking (or some such) before going up to the top floor & attacking Ramazith. When Ramazith came down the stairs we cut him to ribbons.

Treasure of note: Xarrnous’s Second Sword Arm (Gauntlet’s of Weapons Skill) (Jaheira); The Guards Ring +2 (Khalid); The Amplifier (Amulet of Metaspell Influence)(Dy)

Current Disposition: Resting, Recuperating, Resupplying @ an Inn in SE Baldur’s Gate.

Next Steps: Eastern Sewers

Akg PMail/LShld +1 & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs & HCBow; *ToL/I (BSwd*,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Thf/Lvl6, SLthr +1 w/SBow & SSwd +1 (SSwd*, SBow*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl5, FPMail & RoP+2 (MShld +1) w/LBow +2, Varscona +2 LSwd & GWExp (MdShld) (LSwd**,
    LBow**,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//Lvl4/5, PMail +1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*); RoH,
    RoAF; GWSk
    Minsc: Rgr/5, SLthr +1 w/CLBow &2HS+2&Mc; GoDx
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/Lvl/5, TvlRb w/BroDefAC7 & CloND w/Slg, Dgr; Wands (MMs, Frst, Fear, Pzn); RoEm, RoP+1, AoMI

Reloads: 4 (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul; Wyvern (Cloakwood Wilderness)
    Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on
    My followers & I headed to East Baldur’s Gate to begin our investigation in the sewer tunnels. Carrion Crawlers & Phase Spiders infest the place. I was Held once by a CC attack & took a poison bite from a PS that injured & scared me so that we headed back to the inn for a rest.

Key Event: We ran up on the culprit behind these disappearances, another vile Ogre Mage. He was running a scheme using his ‘pet’ CCs to attack & disable people in the streets & then drag them into the sewers where they’d feast & the OM would take their treasure. As w/the ogre Mage we destroyed in the Cloakwood Mines, this one too was surrounded w/corpses. We destroyed him easily enough, although once again, I was bitten by a CC & Held. Scary position to be in but my team was up to the task.

We returned to Scar & he was pleased, especially when we were able to return a ring that had been owned by a Silvershield daughter. He asked if we’d mind meeting w/the Grand Duke Elton to undertake a mission of infiltration vs. the iron Throne. I gladly accepted on behalf of all of us.

Treasure of note: We broke the rule again & bought an upgraded weapon for each of us but the Ogre Mage only had a Scimitar +1, which we sold.

Current Disposition: Resting, Recuperating, Resupplying & preparing to infiltrate the Iron Throne.

Next Steps: Iron throne

Level Up: I’ve been promoted to Myrmidon (Fighter/6) & have increased my Bastard Sword Proficiency to **. Shortly afterward, Jaheira was promoted to Swashbuckler (Fighter/5) to complement Initiate of the 3rd Circle (Druid/5)

Behmen von Bleibruck, Ftr(Wzd-Slr)/6 (18/27, 10, 16, 10, 15, 11*)
    Akg PMail/LShld +1 & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs & HCBow; *ToL/I (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Thf/Lvl6, SLthr +1 w/SBow+1 & SSwd +1 (SSwd*, SBow*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl5, FPMail,RoP+2 & GoB (MShld +1) w/LBow +2, Varscona +2 LSwd & GWExp (MdShld)
    (LSwd**, LBow**,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//Lvl5/4, PMail +1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*); RoH,
    RoAF; GWSk; Wand (Hvn)
    Minsc: Rgr/5, SLthr +1 w/CLBow &2HS+2&Mc+1; GoDx(LB**,2HS**,Mc*,2WS**)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/Lvl/5, TvlRb w/BroDefAC7 & CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm, RoP+1, AoMI (Slg*); Wands (MMs, Frst, Fear, Pzn)

* 3 of 4 reloads from fighting ‘waylaying’ enemies – see rule 1. above
    edited April 2013
    We continued exploring the city & making a note of the inns, stores & temples that we want to remember. We were approached by an assassin who threatened us if we continued to investigate the IT. Not long afterward another man, who said his name was Lothandar, approached us & said we’d been poisoned by his partner Marek – the same man who’d threatened us. He told us b/c he claimed he himself was under the curse of a Geas Spell & wanted freedom. Lothandar led us to a diviner who for 50gp said the High Priestess of the Temple of Umberlee we could lift the Geas Spell. We went to the Temple of Umberlee. The High Priestess asked us to retrieve a Tome of Wisdom from the Lady’s House (Temple of Tymora). We headed straight there & the Priest sold us the Tome for 500GPs.

We headed back to take Tome to the High Priestess but were approached by a boy who begged us to follow him. He took us to a Priest of Tymora whose son had ostensibly been killed breaking into the Temple of Umberlee. Sure enough, after talking to him we had two missions @ the Temple of Umberlee, the 2nd to recover the boy’s body so his father the priest could resurrect him. We went back to the Temple of Umberlee & took her the Tome. She gave us a scroll w/a spell that will remove the Geas. Then we coughed up 2000GPs to recover the Priests son. We returned the boy’s body &his father performed a resurrection. We recovered our 2000GP as our reward.

Witnessing a resurrection was moving. We've witnessed Priests Raise Dead but this was...wow!

Key Event: We left there & tracked down Lothandar @ the Blade & Stars. We gave him the scroll & he gave us ½ of the Antidote Potion needed. He told us we needed to find Marek @ the Splurging Sturgeon for the other ½. We moved quickly & found Marek upstairs. From there we spread out & surrounded him since he didn’t seem to notice us. I approached him & he took exception to my desire to lighten his load ½ an Antidote Potion. He became hostile & my followers shredded him w/arrows.

Treasure of note: Shield of the falling Stars (Shield +1/+5); Protector of the Dryads (Short Bow +2)

Current Disposition: Resting & recuperating @ an inn in SE BG.

Next Steps: The Iron Throne

Level Up: Khalid’s been promoted to Myrmidon (Fighter/6) & improved his Longbow proficiency to ***.

Akg PMail/LShld +1/+5 & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs & HCBow; *ToL/I,
    (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Thf/Lvl6, SLthr +1 w/SBow+2 & SSwd +1 (SSwd*, SBow*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl6, FPMail,RoP+2 & GoB (MShld +1) w/LBow +2, Varscona +2 LSwd & GWExp (MdShld)
    (LSwd**, LBow**,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//Lvl5/5, PMail +1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*); RoH,
    RoAF; GWSk; Wand (Hvn)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/Lvl/5, TvlRb w/BroDefAC7 & CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm, RoP+1, AoMI (Slg*); Wands (MMs, Frst, Fear, Pzn)

Reloads: 4 (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul; Wyvern (Cloakwood Wilderness)
    Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on

Update:

The party did some bartering then went to school at Ulcaster – and it just occurred to me – doesn’t that skelly warrior (Ichared?) drop some nice gauntlets now? If so we didn’t get them…

No problems through most of the dungeon - Palin was scouting and one shotted a couple of the dread wolves and a spider but the Vampiric wolf at the end was a bit of a struggle –

It held the dwarf before he got his defensive stance up so the girls had to keep healing him to keep him alive in between whacking the wolf who took forever to take any damage and almost nothing magical seemed to phase him (command, glitterdust, spook).

Even when the dialoge said he was spooked he stayed in place chomping at the dwarf (mostly ineffectively). Finally the hold on the dwarf was over and he got his defenses up and the wolf went down soon after.

We had a couple ankeg shells from the mine exit map and sold one and ordered armor for the dwarf then took a trip to FAI and picked up Buckleys Buckler for Palin which doesn’t show anything different than a normal one on the character sheet except his con raises from 17 to 18 – AC & hit points stay the same and so do saves – not sure what’s going on with that.

Got ambushed by 10 bandits going back to Beregost but the wand of monster summoning produced a half dozen gnolls that distracted them until they were dead (the bandits).

Cleared the ogre/ogrillion map and saved the cow then went back to Thunderhammers and got the armor for the dwarf and spent all but 139 of our 15K+ gold to get shadow armor for Palin as well – sold his old armor back to get the coffers back up to about 2500 so we may go Bassilus hunting next.

I am thinking about taking on Kivan but so far fate (the cards) have been uncooperative – maybe later or maybe we will pick up the deadbeat dad in chap 4 - I just want someone to use up these magic arrows we find...

On a side note Gwen has been very effective scribing scrolls only failing once so far - of course now that I have mentioned that she will probably fail the next 6. LOL

Current levels:

Viccy, Palin and the dwarf are all level 5 with 7K, 2K, and 12K to level 6 respectively and our fearless gnome leader is C 4/I 4 with 3k/10k to level 5.

No deaths or reloads today so the recap remains at:

Recap – 2 reloads (1 player mistake, 1 -Amn group) 9 deaths 7 revived, 1 reloaded main, 1 dropped.
    W/little doubt that battle awaited us @ the IT we moved up the left staircase intent on seeing the entire building before acting if we could. We paid off a guard on the first floor & scared another on the 2nd or 3rd. We kept moving like we had business there & were never molested or questioned further until…

Key Event: …we arrived on the 5th floor & we wound up in a hornets nest. It was Ugly w/a capital ‘U’ ! Dy saw a spellcaster & cast a Spell Thrust @ them. Jaheira cast Bless to try & protect us from what was to come. Khalid & Minsc downed Potions of Magic Protection & I headed to the back corner of the room to get position. Imoen started firing off Arrows +1 from The Protector of the Dryads. Imoen fell first; Jaheira got caught in an Entangle spell & we lost her a few seconds later. We were doing our best to bring them down. Khalid & Minsc were firing from their Longbows but drawing their swords for close combat. We’d purchased Arrows of Detonation & Dispelling for them, 5 each, before the battle. Khalid was popping the Dispelling Arrows off w/great effect. I used my crossbow where I could & my sword where necessary. We killed a couple of them & a Doppelganger & then Dy fell. Minsc & I were being pummeled w/Flame Strikes. I cast both my Cure Light Wounds Spells & Minsc & I were quaffing Elixirs of Health like shots of liquor. Minsc broke, regained his senses & then broke again. Only Khalid & I remained. We had to gain separation or the party was lost for good. We moved across the room & down to the 4th & 3rd. Two of them followed & we drew the attention of a guard who attacked. We were both badly wounded. One hit either way was gonna win the battle for better or worse. It looked bad so we moved back up to the 6th. Khalid fired an Arrow of Detonation across the room and toasted the enemies that remained on that floor. We moved back down again & finally, finally killed our last enemies. We had to collect all of the treasure & our fallen party members’ equipment & leave much of it in a dresser until we could return. We were able to get the Priest @ the Temple of helm to Raise Dead for Jaheira, Imoen, Minsc & Dy.

A MUCH NEEDED REST AFTER THE BATTLE OF THE IRON THRONE!

Treasure of note: Edventar’s Gift (Ring of Free Action - Khalid); Wand of the Heavens (Jaheira); Wand of Lightning (Dy)

Current Disposition: Resting & recuperating @ an inn in SE BG.

Next Steps: Meet @ the Flaming Fist Headquarters

Akg PMail/LShld +1/+5 & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs & HCBow; *ToL/I,
    (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Thf/Lvl6, SLthr +1 w/SBow+2 & SSwd +1 (SSwd*, SBow*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl6, FPMail,RoP+2 & GoB (MShld +1) w/LBow +2, Varscona +2 LSwd & GWExp (MdShld); RoFA; (LSwd**, LBow**,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//Lvl5/5, PMail +1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*); RoH,
    RoAF; GWSk; Wand (Hvn x2)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/Lvl/5, TvlRb w/BroDefAC7 & CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm, RoP+1, AoMI (Slg*); Wands (MMs x2, Frst, Fear, Pzn, Ltng)

Wanderon said:

Current levels:

Viccy, Palin and the dwarf are all level 5 with 7K, 2K, and 12K to level 6 respectively and our fearless gnome leader is C 4/I 4 with 3k/10k to level 5.

No deaths or reloads today so the recap remains at:

Keep it up Wanderon! You've got a good run going!

Update:

Short day today and the last chance to play until Sunday. Took out Bassilus and aided Melicamp and passed close enough to Kivan to draw a card to determine whether we spoke or not 3 times and got 3 noes (dammit). Palin got his level 6 no other levels added and the coffers are back up to 7K with only about 24K to go for Gwens archmage robes.

Not sure what’s next.

Wanderon said:

Update:

... passed close enough to Kivan to draw a card to determine whether we spoke or not 3 times and got 3 noes (dammit)...

Meant to ask you about this before. What does, 'draw a card' mean?

I would guess it's a way of randomizing your decisions, e.g. speak or not speak, kill or not kill, maybe even direction of travel?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2013
    Hi, @CharlestonianTemplar, and @SapphireIce101, I decided I might as well register my new run here - I've been away so long, I need to practice posting a screenie.

(Hookay, Photobucket is doing something REALLY weird now, by putting TWO http: addresses, and both [img} and [url} tags around both the http: addresses. If anyone else is having trouble with posting images from photobucket, it's the *second* http: address you want, and you have to get rid of *all* of the first bogus http: address *and* all of the extraneous img and url commands. )

Anyhoo, this character is an Avenger, and I've just started - not quite sure yet where I want to go with rp'ing him. I'm thinking about *forcing* myself to play with all three new npc's, since I never have. This will require putting up with deaths to wild magic, carrying the dead weight that is Rasaad, and finding ways to keep reputation low enough to not be abandoned by Dorn.

I'll probably keep Imoen for my thief, and get Branwen for a cleric. This should be very interesting.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2013
    Journal Entry 041213:

Imoen and I met two very colorful and fun gentlemen outside of Candlekeep, by the names of Xzar and Montaron. They were so funny, they made me feel much better after the tragic death of my mentor. They had healing potions, and they were of great help!

We quickly established a very successful squad strategy of spreading out and using our ranged weapons to take out enemies, with the one squad member who was being attacked by a wolf, an xvart, a gibberling, or what have you, running as fast as possible away from direct melee engagement. Xzar is apparently a wizard of quite considerable power, often killing the ubiquitous hostile wildlife with glowing projectiles from his hands! He does seem to have a rather worrying "god-complex", though, often shouting out strange things like "I am Death, destroyer of worlds!" and recoiling from human contact with a squealed "Don't touch me!"

Monty often teases me that he will kill me someday in my sleep - but dang, he's such a cute little fellow, I'm quite sure he's kidding. I imagine that he is flirting with me, as I would not turn down an invitation to his bedroll during the nights.

Our combat strategy was put quite to the test when we encountered an ogre on the way to the Friendly Arms to meet Gorion's friends! Xzar saved the day with two of his magic projectiles, combined with an impressive hit to the ogres head from cute little Monty with his sling!

Ah, what grand, exciting adventure! I normally would be murderously furious at the killing of any wolves, but the ones out here seem to be rabid, or else possessed by something. We have no choice but to kill them for the Balance, since they are maneaters, and attack humanoids on sight.

Well, flush from our many victories in the wilds surrounding Candlekeep, we shall be heading up to the Friendly Arms shortly. Perhaps Gorion's friends will be able to make us even stronger!

Journal Entry 041213, supplemental:

We arrived at the Friendly Arms Inn after a long journey, and having made camp a couple of times. I was very relieved to arrive at the steps of the inn, and there was even a very pleasant gentleman there to greet us! How nice! Unfortunately, I was flabbergasted when he all of sudden said "hold still, please", mirror imaged himself, and began to cast gods know what horrible spell at us! Luckily, Imoen's bow, Monty's sling, Xzar's spells, and a few shots from a missile wand that Imoen had given me as a birthday present, killed the strange man before he could finish casting his spell. I felt a sense that only having my friends with me had saved my life.

We found a bounty notice on him, as well as his spellbook. Imoen seemed quite interested in keeping the spellbook, for some reason. I'm not sure what use she would have for it, but I let her have it.

We then proceded on into the inn, where I met Gorion's friends, Jaheira and Khalid. After going about the inn and talking to everyone there, we returned the belts we found on the ogre to their rightful owner. We explored around the exterior of the inn and killed some hobgoblins, then, after resting and enjoying some well-earned drinks and merriment, started out to Beregost en route to Nashkel.

Jaheira and Khalid began to try to convince me that I could not trust Monty and Xzar. I did not want to believe it of such delightful fellows. But, upon arriving in Beregost, I met an innocent young female mage, Neera, being attacked by none other than the Red Wizards of Thay! I knew I should help her, and I rescued her, over Monty and Xzar's protestations that I should give her over. After we had rescued her, they insisted that she be handed over immediately in exchange for the gold it would bring in reward. I would not "hand over" this innnocent young lady to the red wizards.

So, unfortunately, I had to part ways with these two handsome and otherwise delightfully funny gentlemen, because we had some clear irreconcilable differences. Ah, well.

Tonight at the inn, my new friend Neera has begun to try to teach me some tricks about magic! While I derive many powers from the power of Nature, most of my powers are geared toward healing, taking other forms, and summoning animals. I do believe I might actually understand a spell or two from the world of the wizards, thanks to Neera. I shall have to explore these new ways to shape magical energies further in the coming days and weeks.

Journal 041213, supplemental:

I wanted to thoroughly explore the area around Beregost, but Jaheira insisted that we move to Nashkel. I adore the woman already, but, I fear she wants to take control of my party from me. I went on ahead, willy-nilly, as she insisted.

Upon arriving in Nashkel, I found a very interesting monk, dressed only in a pair of sweatpants, and naked from the waist up! He began to teach me about the teachings of Selune, and of the Sun Soul monks. I found him rather irresistible, with his combination of wisdom and lore, and, well, all those naked chest muscles flexing at me, so I took him into my party. I was very skeptical that a half-naked man was going to stay alive with us, but he assured me that he was quite good with punches and kicks, and could throw shurikens to devastating effect. (sk'd him to slings and darts proficiency.)

We went into the local Nashkel inn to rest, and met a beautiful priestess in shining armor. She greeted us by saying "It may be a touch unlady like, but I'm going to slit yer throat, I am!" Oh dear. She didn't actually try to "slit our throats", but rather, she kept trying to cast spells from the power of her apparently evil god, any one of which I'm sure could have killed me and everybody with me! And, even worse, her god protected her so well, no one in my party could hit her with weapons, arrows, slings, or anything!

Again, Imoen's gift to me of the missile wand saved us! It was the only thing we had that could hit her and interrupt her magical prayers! This wand is the best birthday gift, ever, Immy!

Post edited by BelgarathMTH on

Wanderon said:

Update:

... passed close enough to Kivan to draw a card to determine whether we spoke or not 3 times and got 3 noes (dammit)...

Meant to ask you about this before. What does, 'draw a card' mean?

I would guess it's a way of randomizing your decisions, e.g. speak or not speak, kill or not kill, maybe even direction of travel?
    Yes thats it exactly - I dont use it as much as Lemernis is doing in his "let the fates decide game" but enough to slow down (or stop) some of the metagaming and doing the same thing the same way every game - grab so & so /go get the whoosy whats/ clear X map/ grab whats his name/ etc...

Now I use some card draws to determine if I speak to someone or take them into the group - sometimes to determine general direction to head next or use it to choose between 2 or more options etc.