Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Series, and Icewind Dale Series Minimal Reload Challenge (Spoiler Warning!)

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited May 2013
    Alright, I made two characters for an IWD Run. I don't own Vindictus, but my boyfriend does, and I have his permission to use Vin. :P

Name: Arianna ('Ari')
    Sex: Female
    Race: Elf
    Class: Fighter/Mage
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Proficiencies: ** Bows, ** Large Swords
    Spells: Sleep, Magic Missile

Name: Vindictus ('Vin')
    Sex: Male
    Race: Elf
    Class: Fighter
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Proficiencies: ** Great Swords, ** Halberds

Difficulty: Normal (I just don't have the courage to do Heart of Fury...)

Mods: Oh, yes please. Heres the Weidu Log!
    // Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // DDrawFix -> Use WineD3D's DDraw Library: v1.0
    ~1PP_IWD_FIXES/1PP_IWD_FIXES.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1ppv: Fix character attack animation sounds in TotLM
    ~1PP_IWD_FIXES/1PP_IWD_FIXES.TP2~ #0 #1 // 1ppv: Fix combat animation bug (enable combat stance animations)
    ~IWDFIXPACK/SETUP-IWDFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Assorted Fixes: v5
    ~IWDFIXPACK/SETUP-IWDFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Game Text Update: v5
    ~1PP_HQ_MUSIC_IWD/1PP_HQ_MUSIC_IWD.TP2~ #0 #0 // 1pp: High quality music for IWD HoW/TotLM
    ~IU_IWD/SETUP-IU_IWD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Item Upgrade for Icewind Dale: v5
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Voice of Durdel Anatha: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #100 // Malavon's Golems: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #200 // Expanded Guello/Beorn Quest: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #300 // Marketh's Ring: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #400 // Presio's Duel: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #500 // Orrick's Rhino Beetle Shield: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #600 // The High Baptist's Flock: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #1500 // Minor Item Restorations: v7
    ~UB_IWD/SETUP-UB_IWD.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Restored Random Drops: v7
    ~IWDNPC/SETUP-IWDNPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Icewind Dale NPCs: v4
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #101 // 1ppv4: Core paperdolls
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #103 // 1ppv4: Extended palette entries -> Full install (recommended)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #105 // 1ppv4: Avatar fixes
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #109 // 1ppv4: Female Dwarves -> Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves - Icewind Dale I HoW
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #110 // 1ppv4: Thieves Galore -> IWD HoW/TotL - Unique Thief Avatars
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #113 // 1ppv4: Smart Avatar & Armour Switching
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #114 // 1ppv4: Softer Spell Effects
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #200 // 1ppv4: Core content patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #203 // 1ppv4: Restored flame sword animations
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #204 // 1ppv4: Colourable Quarterstaves
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #205 // 1ppv4: Legacy Shields
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #206 // 1ppv4: Additional Shield Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #207 // 1ppv4: Wizards' Staves (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #208 // 1ppv4: Additional Helmet Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #209 // 1ppv4: Attachable wings (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #210 // 1ppv4: Increased paperdoll object variety (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #400 // 1ppv4: Core updates and item patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #401 // 1ppv4: Improved projectile effects
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #301 // 1ppv4: Miscellaneous content fixes
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // Add Bags of Holding: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Universal Clubs: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2061 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Multi-Class Grand Mastery (Weimer): v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // BG2 Grand Mastery: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2110 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2130 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Alter Priest Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher): v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Druids Use Cleric Level and Spell Progression: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2160 // Druids Use 3e Alignment Restrictions (NG, LN, TN, CN, NE): v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v14
    ~G3DALETWEAKS/SETUP-G3DALETWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth): v14
    ~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ #0 #0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2

The other party members are: Korin, Severn, Nella, and Teri. They're purely their original classes.

So, with that being said, let the games begin.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Ari and Vin are actually married/lovers. There won't be any Korin or Nella pairings here. Also, I don't know how well I'll be able to capture Vin's character, but I will consult with Vin's creator to see if I can get him in character and keep him in character.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2013
    @SapphireIce101, it looks like you have no healer, unless you have set Nella to be a fighter/druid and/or Korin to be a ranger/cleric. I believe that their default settings are straight fighter and straight ranger.

Also, Teri can be set to be a straight thief, a fighter/thief, or a thief/mage. Which one did you take? Did you leave Severn a bard or change him to mage? Don't forget that mage scrolls are very scarce in IWD. It seems set up for only one or at most two mages in a party, and the second mage will struggle to find good scrolls.

EDIT: I read that there was another lesser tornado outbreak in Oklahoma and Arkansas last night. I hope you are all right, and that you didn't get hit again.
    edited May 2013
    @belgarathmth - I was planning on dualing Nella at level 2 to a cleric since she is a human, and her stats allow her to be dualed into a cleric or a druid. :) Severn is a bard, and Teri is a Fighter/Thief. Korin is a ranger.

Also, Moore didn't get hit again. Thank goodness for that, apparently the town attracts EF4 or higher Tornadoes. The bad stuff stayed to the North, South, or East.
    edited June 2013
    Alrighty, I got an update. I couldn't post it until now, due to the tornadoes hitting near the area. My family and I are still good. My college, however, might have gotten hit. So, please pray for Oklahoma.

Arianna and Vindictus had met, and hired four individuals. A human female named Nella, a male human named Severn, a male elf named Korin, and a female half-elf named Teri. They had also met the mayor of Easthaven, Hrothgar.

Ari, Vin, and company, had helped out around Easthaven. One specific story had Ari weak at the knees, and that was between a man and a sea elf.

Further out into the wilderness, and into a cave, the new group of adventurers cleared out the cave, and destroyed a group of orcs, and an orge. Ari had cast sleep on said group, which lowered the percentage of casualities. Vin took a hit, and nearly died, but thankfully, he had many healing potions.

They went back to Easthaven, and told Hrothgar about what had happened out in the cave. Then, that's when the group set out for Kuldahar. On the way to Kuldahar, most of the expedition was wiped out by an avalanche, therefore, only leaving Arianna, Vindictus, Nella, Severn, Korin, and Teri. They explored the farm lands around Kuldahar, and defeated the gobin/orc threat. Nine hells, an orc even tried to mug them, and failed.

The first thing that Ari, Vin, and co. did in Kuldahar was speak to the Archdruid, Arundel. Arundel tasked the party with a quest to go see what was causing the disturbances within the area.

Current Party
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 1/1
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 1
    Vindictus: Fighter - 2
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 1/2
    Severn: Bard - 3
    Korin: Ranger - 2

Reloads: 0

Notes: No chunked party members, and so far so good. :D
    @SapphireIce101, gratz on your game progress. I was sorry to hear that your area got hit with yet another strong tornado last night. I'm glad you're okay. I hope your college campus isn't too badly damaged.
    @belgarathmth - I do believe that Moore is fine. It appears that all we had was straight line winds, however, don't quote me on that. However, there are still a lot more people worse off than my family and I.

Also, thank you.

I have small update since I didn't have internet for a while. Heh.

Ari, Vin, and co. entered the Vale of Shadows. They cleared much of the exterior, and some of the inner areas. However, when they came across a skeleton named Mytos, a battle had ensued. Ari tried to cast sleep on the skeletons to no avail. She also cast armor upon herself. Teri was held in place, and when Mytos cast a spell, she had died instantaneously. Teri was quickly avenged.

Current Party:
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 3/2
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 4
    Vindictus: Fighter - 4
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 3/3
    Severn: Bard - 4
    Korin: Ranger - 4

Notes: I think if I run into the problem of one of the NPCs getting permanently chunked, then, I'll just make my own with whatever the group needs at the time. However, if Ari, or Vin get perma-chunked then I'm going to reload, since they're basically the main characters. Heh.
    @SapphireIce101, but then you'd be missing out on some fun dialogues and interactions. I'd reload if anybody at all gets chunked. Although, I can't recall ever having a chunking happen to me in IWD.
    edited June 2013
    @belgarathmth - I've had people get petrified, and then had a spell or something cast on them, which resulted in chunking. I think that was in Trials of the Loremaster, though.

Also, I think I'm going to get this thread moved to its proper subforum aka Challenges and Playthroughs.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    My followers & I slowly, painfully, worked our way thru the 2nd labyrinth level of Durlag’s Tower. Jaheira used Find Traps effectively & Minsc moved on point utilizing Stealth as they performed reconnaissance. We took losses here & made more than 1 trip back to Nalin @ the Temple of Helm in Nashkel for Raise Dead services.

Key Event: We tripped a trap in a False Exit Room deep in the back of the labyrinth. Suddenly we were surrounded by 3 Skeleton Warrior’s (SWs), 1 with a Long Bow. We were in a bad place. We didn’t dare go forward b/c we had yet to explore it & were bound to run into traps. We also knew there was a trap in the back hall that we’d have to skirt to the far left if we went back. I tried to retrograde us to gain some space by moving around the trap, hoping to lose the SWs, @ best, or maybe the Skelton Warriors would trip in on themselves. It didn’t work. We got jammed up & Dy fell, then Minsc before we got out of the room. I got Immy, Khalid & Jaheira around the trap & to the far end of the hall where we turned to make a defense against 2 SWs that chased us. Unfortunately we tripped a fireball on ourselves & suddenly we were all injured in need of a vacation. All quaffed Potions of Healing, then turned to try & damage the SWs but they wouldn’t fall & we weren’t landing many blows. We killed 1 but lost both Khalid & Jaheira. I tried to get Immy back through the Urn Room to the Teleport Room but she fell there. I was alone. I finally killed the last of the 2 SWs that had chased us & then went back to False Exit Room where the SW w/the Longbow still waited. I killed him & then started the tedious & arduous duty of collecting everyone’s equipment & storing what I couldn’t carry until I could get them all raised in Nashkel & return. I blame my poor leadership, overconfidence and impatience in rushing through the dungeon for this failure.

After getting my party raised, we returned & regrouped for more difficult times ahead. Just beyond the False Exit Room we found Kiel’s Deathbed Room guarded by 3 or 4 Dwarven Doom Guards. I knew when we opened the treasure chests in that room that the Doom Guards would attack. We located ourselves in the False Exit Room & used the Paws of the Cheetah to let Minsc open the chests & return to our lines. Actually we needed to use Knock spells to open the chests & then Minsc opened the chests & we got busy. Luckily, the Doom Guards didn’t all chase us out of the Deathbed Room so we were able to take them out 1 by 1.

Finally, Jaheira found a massive crushing trap in a hallway between the Trophy Room & the Lever Room. We used the Paws of the Cheetah one @ a time to move quickly across the huge trap area but still suffered some serious damage in a few instances. We were stuck there & had to rest before Immy could re-memorize her Knock spell & get us through the door into the Lever Room.

Treasure of Note: Kiel’s Morning Star & Buckler brought us some gold. The former would’ve been a keeper but Dy found it to be cursed. Jaheira almost kept the latter but her +1 Medium Kite Shield provides better missile protection.

Current Disposition: Keeping watch in the Throne Room while the others rest.

Next Steps: Labyrinth Level 3

Level Up: I’m up to Superhero (Fighter-Wizard Slayer/8); Jaheira was promoted to Initiate of the 6th Circle (Druid/8) to go along w/her multi-class Champion (Fighter/7) status. She elcted to add Cure Medium Wounds & Defensive Harmony to add to her divine spells. Later, Khalid, also, was promoted to Superhero (Fighter/8).

Current Party: (Reputation: 20 - Heroic)
    Behmen von Bleibruck, Ftr(Wzd-Slr)/8 (19*, 10, 17*, 10, 17*, 11*)
    PMail +3/LShld +1/+5, HoDef & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs, HCBow & Fl +1; *ToL/I, ToWx2, MoGE, MoBH, (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Mage/Thf//7/7, (Dart*); KnRobe, BroDefAC7, GoB & CloProt +2; Multiple Wands, RoE,
    (B/Stealth)(Dart*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl8, SLthr+1, GoB (MShld +1) & GSAm w/LBow of Mksmsp +2, Varscona +2 & Harrower +1/+3 vs.
    Und LSwds & GWExp (MdShld); RoFA; (LSwd**, LBow***,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//7/7, SLthr+1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*, Scim*); RoH,
    RoAF; GWSk; Wand (Hvn x2)
    Minsc: Rgr/7, SLthr+2, B/Stealth, GoP & CoP w/CLBow +1 &2HS+2&Mc+1;
    GoDx(LB**,2HS**,Mc*,2WS**,2HWS*)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/8, RotGA; CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm & RoP+2, AoMI (Slg*); Multiple Wands e

Reloads: 4 (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul; Wyvern (Cloakwood Wilderness)
    edited June 2013
    First and foremost, thank you @Lemernis.

Secondly, @CharlestonianTemplar - Your party does -not- like to stay alive. Also, I don't think I've ever seen such a successful(?) playthrough of a Wizard Slayer.

Also, update time!

Deeper into the tomb, the company had traveled. They ran into an evil spirit by the name of Kresselack. Kresselack had said that he wasn't the evil that was messing around with Kuldahar, but he knew what was. However, in order to get the information, our brave adventurers would have to kill a Priestess of Auril. Seeing that there was no other option, Arianna agreed.

Ari, Vin, and co. exited Kresselack's tomb, and tried to find the Aurilite. The Aurilite was in a cave, but Nella, Arianna, and Vindictus already knew who it was. The Aurilite was the barmaid, Lysan. Naturally, a battle ensued, because of Lysan's beliefs. Vin had gotten mind controlled, Teri had died in battle. Severn, and Arianna were casting spells to be more specific, Magic Missile, and Sleep. Korin was shooting arrows into Lysan with his bow. Nella did not cast any spells because by the time she could, she was silenced along with Ari, and Korin. By then, Vin had come out of his control, and started to hit Lysan with is sword. It was like that, until she had dropped dead.

Once the Aurilite was dead, the adventurers returned to Kuldahar to bring back their fallen comrade. Then, they returned to Kresselack, who had lied about knowing where the person causing the disturbances around Kuldahar was at. However, Kresselack did reward the company with the items within his tomb.

Upon exiting the tomb, the group returned to Kuldahar. They spoke to Arundel again. Arundel had tasked the adventurers with finding the Heartstone Gem within a temple nearby.

Fourty-seven days into this grand adventure, and Arianna felt that she had found a new family to replace the one she had lost by being with Vin.

Current Party:
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 4/4
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 5
    Vindictus: Fighter - 5
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 4/4
    Severn: Bard - 6
    Korin: Ranger - 5

Notes: I kept crashing upon entering the level 3 of Kresselack's Tomb. Then, I looked around and I had to uninstall the 'Additional Helmet Animations' component of 1PP 4.1. So, just a note for anyone wanting to use 1PP with IWD. -Don't- install Additional Helmet Animations until Erephine comes back to fix it, or you could try to use NearInfinity to fix it, but I just decided to uninstall Additional Helmet Animations. I don't think I'll have anymore problems with my install, but if I do get to where I can't play anymore due to issues, then I'll go clean install my game and start from the beginning.

Teri seems to attract all the baddies to her, its kind of funny. Also, Teri has the most deaths, followed by Nella, and Korin.

Also, potential back story? What?

Oh, and I thought I took a screenshot, but apparently I didn't.
    To the Temple of the Forgotten God, Ari, Vin, and co. went, and cleared it out. Teri had died once, but after that she did not die anymore. Once the party had gotten to where the Heartstone Gem was kept, they had seen that it was long gone.

Ari had seen a bottle of poison and picked it up. Perhaps Arundel would have an idea of where it came from.

The group headed back to Kuldahar. They spoke to Arundel again, and they spoke of the results of what had happened at the Temple. Now, he was sending them to Dragon's Eye in hopes that the Heartstone Gem lies there.

Current Party:
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 4/4
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 4
    Vindictus: Fighter - 5
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 4/5
    Severn: Bard - 6
    Korin: Ranger - 5

Notes: Transferring the Black Wolf Talisman from Ari to Teri was a good idea, and Teri stays up for a lot longer, and therefore, gives Nella some time to heal her.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @SapphireIce101 Thanks for the comments about Arath! Reading back over him I'm a bit embarassed by how badly he needs a good edit, but I'm glad you enjoyed him so much. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, things have been crazy. :)
    @Kaeloree - Again, I have to say thank you for writing such an enjoyable character. He definitely different than most druids. :) Also, I understand completely, and I'll continue waiting for the new patch. Heh.

First and foremost, thank you @Lemernis.

Secondly, @CharlestonianTemplar - Your party does -not- like to stay alive. Also, I don't think I've ever seen such a successful(?) playthrough of a Wizard Slayer...

This is the first time I've EVER played a WS. Ironic, that a few weeks ago I was thinking that this has to be the weakest fighter subclass there is - at least that I've ever played. My last PC vanilla fighter had, what, 17 reloads? Oh well, knock on wood. We need Imoen's thieving skills a ton. She could roll over to 8th level Mage @ any time. CKT
    @CharlestonianTemplar - In my opinion, I don't think any kit is bad/weak. I mean, if I had to have Khalid as a fighter, I would try to make him a Wizard Slayer, because I think it fits him a wee bit more than the other Fighter kits. Also, Imoen's thief skills would come in handy in Durlag's Tower. God, I hate going into Durlag's Tower.

Oh well, I started playing IWD at like 1 pm, and I just got done with Dragon's Eye. ...I really don't like Dragon's Eye either. *shudder* Too many trolls, not enough Melf's Acid Arrows...Speaking of that, its time for an update!

Ari, Vin, and co. went to Dragon's Eye. They destroyed what Lizard men were on the first floor with ease. Vin died to the Lizard King and his minions, which sent Ari into a magical rage, and caused her to use all of her spells on the enemy to destroy them.Obviously, the group returned to Kuldahar to revive Vin before Ari decided to off them one by one with her magic.

Then, the group returned to Dragon's Eye, and went a level lower. Destroying the trolls on that floor was hard, as Ari and Severn only had so many Melf's Acid Arrow spells to destroy them all with. They reached an area that appeared to be a temple, and once a battle ensued, Vin, Nella, and Teri had all gotten held. Which, put them in a bad place because Ari was firing Fireballs to get rid of some of the priests. Vin, Teri, and Nella died, and again, Ari was sent into a magical rage. The Priestess of Illmater could only revive Nella, and Teri. So, another trip to Kuldahar was made.

On the floor filled with Zombies, Ari had gotten into a duel with a mage named Presio. Ari had cast a shield spell upon herself, which made her immune to Magic Missile. Which, luckily for her, Presio only cast Magic Missile. So, Ari cast her Mordekainen's Force Missiles, Melf's Acid Arrows, and Magic Missiles at Presio, eventually killing her. However, upon killing Presio, the undead nearby started to attack.

Down another floor they went, clearing it as they went and saving some people from a caravan.

Then, they were on the final floor, they cleared it, and they met Yxonumei. Yxonumei wanted the Heartstone Gem for its divination powers, and to use it as a tool. So, obviously a battle ensued. Korin, Ari, and Severn moved out of the Cloudkill. Severn, and Ari started cast their spells. While Nella, Teri, Vin, and Korin attacked the enemies around Yxonumei, with Nella turning undead whenever some undead were summoned.

The group returned to Kuldahar, with the Heartstone gem in Ari's pack. Only to find it under attack by some Orogs. So, they cleared the Orogs out, and went to Arundel. However, Arundel wasn't actually Arundel, but some imposter. Then, the group went upstairs, and found the real Arundel. The real Arundel was sending them to the Severed Hand as his last wish.

Current Party:
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 8/9
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 9
    Vindictus: Fighter - 9
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 8/9
    Severn: Bard - 11
    Korin: Ranger - 9

Notes: Well, I just realized that Nella can't even use resurrection scrolls. D'oh. Hopefully Vin, Korin, Or Ari don't die in Severed Hand. Also, why is it that raise dead doesn't work on elves? I should probably go read the description or something.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    In IWD elves can only be brought back with the resurrection spell - I think it is the result of original D&D rules for elves which were ignored in the other IE games - IIRC they dropped this again in ID2.

It can be a real PITA not to mention a pain in the coin purse for a game that's not exactly over flowing with gold and loot like most of the IE games and for me it tends to make me think carefully about whether or not it's really necessary to take an elf along during character creation. (which I think detracts a bit from the game as the elf IMO doesn't offer any compelling reason they would be worth the extra investment to raise them over using a different race)
    @Wanderon - Well, that explains a lot. Also, the only real compelling reason to take an elf along is their 19 Dex, and it makes them really good archers.

@Wanderon - Well, that explains a lot. Also, the only real compelling reason to take an elf along is their 19 Dex, and it makes them really good archers.

Yeah 19 dex and can still get 18 str (which halflings can't) - I'm thinking they also get a +1 bonus for bows and longswords in IWD too. Those are nice bonuses but resurrection is VERY expensive - unless you raise them with the "reload" spell instead...which of course doesn't work with the whole No Reload concept LOL

@Wanderon - No, it doesn't. ROFL! However, if you are using your elf as an archer, there really isn't a reason for them to die. :P Its when you're trying to make them into a tank.

Also, I didn't go to Severed Hand. I decided to go into HoW, and TotL.

@Wanderon - No, it doesn't. ROFL! However, if you are using your elf as an archer, there really isn't a reason for them to die. :P Its when you're trying to make them into a tank.

Also, I didn't go to Severed Hand. I decided to go into HoW, and TotL.

Looks like you are about at the minimum level suggested for HOW & ToTL as I recall it - should be challenging - good luck!

@Wanderon - And now I'm ten levels (at least) above when I entered.

..To keep a long and abysmal story short. My no reload streak is now over. (Boooo.)

Ari, Vin, and co. are now back in Lonelywood, after defeating the Loremaster of the castle. It was a long and hard process to get around the castle, but now, the group has more levels, and better equipment to deal with the Barbarian Situation. Basically, the Loremaster took some sword swipes from Vin. Ari summoned some shadows, and well, he took some damage when he just started teleporting to the same spot every time.

Current Party:
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 12/13
    Vindictus: Fighter - 17
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 18
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 12/15
    Severn: Bard - 21
    Korin: Ranger - 16

Reloads: 4 (Ari got chunked at least two of those. Other wise, Elf + No Resurrection Spell + Start of Trials of the Luremaster = Reload.)

Notes: This has taught me a lesson...If your going to use elves, then make sure you have a good aligned cleric with you. *sagenod* XD
    Alright. I'm just going to say this now. I doubt that I'm going to include BGR as part of this challenge, by doing that then I would have to include the NWN2 Version of IWD just to be fair, as well as BG2 Redux.

Otherwise, I have an update, its probably going to seem tiny.

The adventurers went to the Burial Isle, and saved Hjollder. I know I spelled that name wrong. They defeated the Wailing Virgins, and found a defaced symbol.

Hjollder sent the group to the Gloomfrost, where they found the seer, who sent a mirror along with them. Vin also gained a two handed sword made of pure Gloomfrost Ice! I could have gotten a Halberd instead, but I prefer swords.

Next, the adventurers returned to Lonelywood, and gave an Ice Rose to Murdaugh. I know, I probably spelled that name wrong too.

Finally, they went to the Barbarian camp and got the King to look at his reflection. However, the Seer died. Also, the Tribe of the Elk defeated the Tribe of the Great Wyrm.

Current Party:
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 14/14
    Vindictus: Fighter - 20
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 21
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 14/16
    Severn: Bard - 23
    Korin: Ranger - 18

Reloads: 5 (Vin died, and had to reload.)

Notes: Almost to the end of HoW, and then we're back onto the real adventure. :)
    edited June 2013
    They went to the island. They cleared a path. Then...Well, it was obvious, they defeated a dragon. The longer that Ari talked to the dragon, the more she understood why the dragon did what she did. A battle quickly ensued, and Ari started to summon shadows, cast some magic missiles, and some fireballs. Then, everyone just had to use their regular weapons on the Soul Gem.

Current Party:
    Vindictus: Fighter - 20
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 22
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 14/17
    Severn: Bard - 24
    Korin: Ranger - 18

Reloads: 5

Notes: Now, we're back to the real adventure. Also, got a good mage robe, but Ari isn't a single class mage. Also, Lamellar Armor, debating if Teri should wear it. Probably not though.
    I know I'm not done with IWD, but, I started a new IWD2 game. To determine my party, and their levels...I kind drew names, and what level they're going to be. Evil, I know. So, here is the character.

Name: Marina
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Race: Wild Elf
    Class: Silverstar of Selune (Cleric Kit)
    Level: Uno! I regret nothing about that reference!
    Added Feats: Combat Casting
    Added Skills: +4 Concentration
    Memorized Spells: Light Cure Wounds, Bless
    Memorized Domain Spell: Sanctuary

Difficulty: Normal

Mods:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // DDrawFix -> Use WineD3D's DDraw Library: v1.0
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bugfixes
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #3 // Improved Holy Avenger (Lawful: +2d6 vs. Chaos; Dispel On Hit, Will saves)
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Deep Gnome Starting XP
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #7 // Improved Moonblades
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #8 // Improved Monk Fists
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Collector's Edition Bonus Items
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #11 // Magic Weapon Finesse
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #12 // Always Get Some XP Per Kill
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Some Heart of Fury Items In Normal Mode
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #14 // Stronger Bastard Swords
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Include Forgotten Armor and Shields
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #19 // Additional Druid Spells
    ~SETUP-IWD2-EASE.TP2~ #0 #22 // Randomized Treasure (mix up items with similar costs)
    ~SETUP-MERCHANT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bonus Merchant for IWD2
    ~SETUP-IWD2NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Install joinable NPCs for IWD2. Warning: despite extensive testing some glitches may remain in this mod. Please report all bugs at www.gibberlings3.net.: v4
    ~SETUP-IWD2NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // Female Gnome Avatars -> Use Female Thief Halfling Avatars for Female Mage Gnome Avatars: v4
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #101 // 1ppv4: Core paperdolls
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #103 // 1ppv4: Extended palette entries -> Full install (recommended)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #105 // 1ppv4: Avatar fixes
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #107 // 1ppv4: Female Dwarves -> Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves - Icewind Dale II
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #112 // 1ppv4: Thieves Galore -> IWDII - Unique Thief Avatars
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #113 // 1ppv4: Smart Avatar & Armour Switching
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #114 // 1ppv4: Softer Spell Effects
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #200 // 1ppv4: Core content patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #203 // 1ppv4: Restored flame sword animations
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #204 // 1ppv4: Colourable Quarterstaves
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #205 // 1ppv4: Legacy Shields
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #206 // 1ppv4: Additional Shield Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #207 // 1ppv4: Wizards' Staves (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #208 // 1ppv4: Additional Helmet Animations (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #209 // 1ppv4: Attachable wings (core)
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #400 // 1ppv4: Core updates and item patches
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #401 // 1ppv4: Improved projectile effects
    ~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #301 // 1ppv4: Miscellaneous content fixes
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #200 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v2.2
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #300 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v2.2
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #400 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v2.2
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #600 // 100% Learn Spells: v2.2
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #700 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v2.2
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Rest in Each Area: v2.2
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Save in Each Area: v2.2
    ~IWD2TWEAKS/SETUP-IWD2TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1200 // Magically Created Weapons Have Zero Weigth: v2.2
    ~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ #0 #0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.2

Party:
    Sir Nord: Paladin of Helm - 15
    Peony: Illusionist - 12
    Jaemal: Sorcerer - 12
    Hildury: Barbarian - 3
    Prachi: Monk of the Old Order - 9

Notes: Prachi is most likely going to going rogue as soon as she hits her next level, since she can dual into a rogue without penalties. Also, I drew two level 12s, and a level 15 out of a box. Only one that seems relatively close to Marina in levels is Hildury.

Well, I'm going to finish my IWD run before starting on this one, obviously.
    @ SapphireIce101 - where did you "draw the names" from? Old characters you had exported at different levels?

I used to do a No R & R game in ID2 - (No Reload & No Raise dead)

I had gone into my old save games and exported characters at different levels (1 level for each one not multiple levels for each but I had a huge number of characters to choose from thanks to my chronic restart syndrome)

Then I set up way points (different game areas) where I could replace any fallen characters by randomly choosing from a pool of replacements that were assigned to that area within certain level limits with the levels going up as the locations became available later in the game.

My main character had to stay alive or it was game over - no raising dead for the others but I could randomly replace them at those locations I set which made for some strange parties and/or strange character builds as I might need to rework a character into a different class to cover the class types needed - especially when I lost my only thief type.

Great fun - I tried this style of play for SOZ too IIRC but didn't have as large a pool to draw from so it wasn't quite as interesting.
    @Wanderon - I took out two boxes from my jewelry box, looked at the names of the characters in the IWD2 NPC Project, wrote them down on a piece of paper, and a set of levels (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15). With that, I drew the character's name, then the level. Based on the characters I drew, I made an NPC that was desperately needed. Which was a Cleric, we also needed a rogue, but Prachi's Monk Kit allows her to multi into rogue without penalties.

Also, that's an awesome way to play.

I haven't beaten SoZ yet, but I do believe I'll need to. Since I kind of liked how you could make most of your characters in the party.
    After finishing up the 2nd labyrinth level I headed back to Nashkel to rest & recuperate. Then we headed back to tackle the 3rd Labyrinth Level from the stairs we found near Kiel’s deathbed. Right off we had to contend with a circular room that has fireball after fireball exploding. After negotiating this I found myself and my followers in a strange underground Maze Garden. Here foes included 2 Ashirukuru & a handful of Greater Ghouls. Jaheira’s Find Traps spell kept us from too much trouble in that regard.

Afterword we travelled down a long hallway w/elemental chambers. We fought & killed male & female Phoenix Guards in the Fire Chamber before getting into a brawl w/an Air Aspect & 2 Invisible Stalkers in the Air Chamber & Khalid was killed. I had to back my party out of the dungeon to visit Nalin in Nashkel & ask him to Raise Dead. Afterward, I returned & we headed to the Earth Chamber where we easily defeated a Fission Slime & then up the hall to an Ice Chamber containing Kaldran the Bear and a pack of Winter Wolves. Tougher fight than I’d preferred, especially when I got HELD & had to take blast after blast of Ice Breath from Kaldran. Finally my followers finished him & the Winter Wolves. Just then we were teleported to a Chess Board. An invisible narrator laid out the rules of this game of Chess we were expected to participate in. Problem was I was still HELD. No one moved & nothing happened. We couldn’t see the enemy Chess pieces. Immy cast a Greater Malison to affect the center of the opposing line that we still couldn’t see. Dy followed w/a Wand of Fire to great effect as we heard and smelled the effect of the crushing fire. Still no movement our way. Jaheira followed w/a Dispel Magic in the vicinity & Dy fired off Wand of Fire Blasts 3 or 4 more times. I’d collected myself & healed a bit by then & moved forward. The enemy King & Queen & all their allies were dead. Game over!

Key Event: From the Chess Board we headed downstairs where we ran into an apparition of Durlag offering advice. From there we moved forward, now on the 4th Labyrinth Level staying to the left as always even though we uncovered a secret passage to the right. We found a second apparition, this one claiming to be Islanne & offering us escape from DsT if we chose. We elected to stay awhile & ended up in battle w/2 Helmeted-Horrors. Key about this was that after we killed the 1st one, Imoen suddenly felt the rush of new power that comes w/advancing as a Mage. Not only did we NOW have 2 8th Level Mages but, more importantly, suddenly Immy had regained her thieving skills too. We headed back down the hall & explored some caverns for a bit before electing to return to Islanne & accept her offer to exit DsT for some time in Nashkel. We needed to adjust our spell repertoire to account for Immy’s thieving skills having returned.

Treasure of Note: The Worlds Edge (2-Handed Sword +3 - Minsc)

Current Disposition: Resting in the Nashkel Inn

Next Steps: Back to the Caverns in the 4th Labyrinth Level of DsT.

Level Up: Jaheira has increased Champion (Fighter/7). She’s already an Initiate of the Sixth Circle (Druid/8). Immy finally improved to Warlock (Mage/8) so now I finally have her Sharper (Thief/7) skills back…none too soon.

Current Party:(Reputation: 20 - Heroic)
    Behmen von Bleibruck, Ftr(Wzd-Slr)/8 (19*, 10, 17*, 10, 17*, 11*)
    PMail +3/LShld +1/+5, HoDef & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs, HCBow & Fl +1; *ToL/I, ToWx2, MoGE, MoBH, (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Mage/Thf//8/7, (Dart*); KnRobe, BroDefAC7, GoB & CloProt +2; Multiple Wands, RoE,
    (B/Stealth)(Dart*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl8, SLthr+1, GoB (MShld +1) & GSAm w/LBow of Mksmsp +2, Varscona +2 & Harrower +1/+3 vs.
    Und LSwds & GWExp (MdShld); RoFA; (LSwd**, LBow***,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//7/8, SLthr+1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*, Scim*); RoH,
    RoAF; GWSk; Wand (Hvn x2)
    Minsc: Rgr/7, SLthr+2, B/Stealth, GoP & CoP w/CLBow +1,2HS+3, 2HS +2 &Mc+1;
    GoDx(LB**,2HS**,Mc*,2WS**,2HWS*)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/8, RotGA; CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm & RoP+2, AoMI (Slg*); Multiple Wands e

Reloads: 4 (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul; Wyvern (Cloakwood Wilderness)
    @CharlestonianTemplar - Finally, Imoen has her thief skills back! Sadly, its a little bit too late though. D:

Alright, I have an update.

Ari, Vin, and Co. finally headed to Severed Hand, or Hand of the Seldarine. It was a majestic sight, except for the fact that there were undead running around! Basically, several levels, fireballs, finding astrolabe parts, and no party member deaths. The group came across their quarry, Larrel.

Larrel used the Heartstone Gem, which told the party where they needed to go; Dorn's Deep.

Current Party:
    Vindictus: Fighter - 21
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 22
    Severn: Bard - 25
    Korin: Ranger - 19

Notes: Nella now has 21 wisdom, even though her charisma, and constitution took a hit for it. Severn now has Stoneskin. Yay! I should try this on Heart of Fury sometime.
    Tiny update.

The group of adventurers cleared their way through Dorn's Deep, and reading journals of what had really happened. What Larrel thought was mostly incorrect. They destroyed a Phylactery of a Lich. Spells flew about, shadows being summoned, bard songs being sung. It was a glorious day! The party made their way out of Dorn's Deep and into...a cave full of ice trolls.

Current Party
    Vindictus: Fighter - 21
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 23
    Severn: Bard - 25

Notes: Traps. Traps. Everywhere, and I forgot to use Teri most of the time for her disarm traps. Also, Playing NWN2: SoZ.
    Ari, Vin, and Co. cleared out the ice troll caves, and saved the slaves, except for Vera, who had died against a Frost Salamander.

Upon reaching the surface, the party returned to Larrel, and showed him proof that he was wrong about the dwarves, and how his daughter had died. Then, Larrel teleported them back to Kuldahar. Which is where Teri got some White Dragon Scale Armor. It lowered her AC to -22 or -25. I just know that its really low now.

Then, the company returned to Wyrm's Tooth or Teeth, or whatever it is called, and went into another cave. Said cave had lots of forges, and more slaves, except instead of human, these slaves were deep gnome. They found a mine -filled- with deep gnomes, and they wanted food.

Therefore, the group went to find this 'Malavon' character that one of the deep gnomes talked about first.

Malavon had made several copies of himself, or at least that's what it appeared to be. They downed each one until they were at Malavon. They stayed out of webs, and the poisonous clouds. Ari cast Magic Missile. Severn used one of his Bard Songs for a tiny bit. Meanwhile, everyone was slashing and shooting arrows and bolts into Malavon as he became a lifeless corpse. However, they did not find the food that the Deep Gnomes wanted.

Now, they have to go after Marketh.

Current Party:
    Arianna: Fighter/Mage - 15/14
    Vindictus: Fighter - 22
    Nella: Fighter < Cleric - 2 < 23
    Teri: Fighter/Thief - 15/18
    Severn: Bard - 26

Notes: Malavon and his clones were actually pretty easy, as well as his golems and his umber hulks. Also, this IWD adventure is coming to a close, and Marina's adventure will begin. Also, isn't IWD and IWD2 about 30 years apart? I'm trying to remember, but I really can't. Heh.