Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Series, and Icewind Dale Series Minimal Reload Challenge (Spoiler Warning!)

Comments

• CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Guessing I'm okay to still post my progress. Not sure I'm following all the back & forth about IWD, BG, BGII & EIEIO. CT
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited May 2013
    @CharlestonianTemplar - Yup, its still okay to post progress.

Just to summarize what happened, people can now do IWD Series minimal reload challenges in this thread. Apologies, if that wasn't clear.
    Before we headed N to the Fishing Village we made a diversion back to Beregost, as we had met a Gnome, Landrin, @ the FAI, who needed help ridding her home near the Jovial Juggler of Huge Spiders. We knocked them out easily after Imoen cast a Sleep spell sending 3 of 4 of them into dreamland – but only temporarily.

Finally reaching the Fishing Village we met a Paladin, Ajantis, on the road. I was inclined to bring him along as an ally but in the end decided to keep my followers, ‘as is.’ Later, we met a group of fisherman who bewailed their predicament b/c a Priestess of Umberlee was making t impossible for them to fish, even killing two of them w/rapidly rising water. We looked into it for them but upon meeting the priestess she was only a young girl. As a Priestess of Umberlee I didn’t trust her even though I believed her story that the fishermen were no saints themselves. Sadly, my distrust caused her to continue her attacks & we killed her. We returned to the fishermen & let them knew we didn’t like being lied to & used as pawns. We didn’t kill them but we did take a Bowl of Water Elemental Control that they’d stolen from the Priestesses mother.

Key Event: From there we had the sad duty of assisting a farmer, Brun, in locating his missing son. We’d found a large hole in the ground earlier & when Brun laid out the details we knew where to look. We found Ankheg tunnels &, sadly, the body of Brun’s son Nathan was in a treasure cove therein. We went well beyond the quota we’d agreed to w/the local Ranger but I was so angry for farmer Brun that I felt justified. We informed Brun & left him some gold to assist him in rebuilding.

Treasure of Note: None

Current Disposition: Resting encamped @ Wyrm’s crossing

Next Steps: Farmlands west of Ulgoth’s beard

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 20 - Heroic)
    Behmen von Bleibruck, Ftr(Wzd-Slr)/7(19*, 10, 17*, 10, 1*, 11*)
    Akg PMail/LShld +1/+5, HoDef & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs, HCBow & Fl +1; *ToL/I, ToW, MoGE, MoBH, (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Mage/Thf//6/7, (Dart*); KnRobe, BroDefAC7, GoB & CloProt +2;Wands (MM, Sleep), RoEngy
    (B/Stealth)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl7, SLthr+1, & GoB (MShld +1) w/LBow of Mksmsp +2, Varscona +2 & Harrower +1/+3 vs. Und LSwds & GWExp (MdShld); RoFA; (LSwd**, LBow***,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//6/7, SLthr+1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*, Scim*); RoH,
    RoAF; GWSk; Wand (Hvn x2)
    Minsc: Rgr/7, SLthr+2, B/Stealth & GoP w/CLBow +1 &2HS+2&Mc+1; GoDx(LB**,2HS**,Mc*,2WS**,2HWS*)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/7, RotGA; CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm & RoP+2, AoMI (Slg*); Wands (, QS*MM, Frst, Fear, Pzn, Ltng)

Reloads: 4 (wilderness Cave Bears x2); Nimbul; Wyvern (Cloakwood Wilderness)
    @CharlestonianTemplar - I dislike the Farmer Brun quest. Poor guy loses his son.

Quick update!

Did some leveling, and killed Jaylos and Caehan for betraying the Shadow Thieves. Now, Saki is in the Vampire HQ and clearing that out!

Current Party:
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 3
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 11/13
    Arath: Avenger - 14
    Yoshimo: Bounty Hunter - 16
    Cernd: Totemic Druid - 14
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 < 14

Reloads: 0

Notes: Nothing of particular interest here.
    edited May 2013
    I left the Fishing Village behind and headed toward Ulgoth’s Beard.

Key Event: We travelled through the Farmlands and were able to help the farmers’ there. It seems somehow their land had become infested with Zombies. We made quick work of them and gave the farmers some peace of mind – and rest.

EASY AS SPEARING' FISH IN A BARREL!

Me think's Ulgoth's Beard portends MUCH greater adventures than the last few weeks have presented.

Treasure of Note: I purchased a Cloak of Displacement for Minsc, a Greenstone Amulet for Khalid, a Scroll of Greater Malison for Imoen & a Scroll of Improved Invisibility for Dynahier. The latter two are now written in their respective spell book’s.
    Current Disposition: Resting, recuperating, resupplying @ Ulgoth’s Beard Inn

Next Steps: We met a wizard who has asked us to go on an adventure on his behalf (Ice Island)

Akg PMail/LShld +1/+5, HoDef & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs, HCBow & Fl +1; *ToL/I, ToW, MoGE, MoBH, (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Mage/Thf//6/7, (Dart*); KnRobe, BroDefAC7, GoB & CloProt +2;Wands (MM, Sleep), RoEngy
    (B/Stealth)(Dart*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl7, SLthr+1, GoB (MShld +1) & GSAm w/LBow of Mksmsp +2, Varscona +2 & Harrower +1/+3 vs.
    Und LSwds & GWExp (MdShld); RoFA; (LSwd**, LBow***,Axe*)
    Jaheira: Ftr/Drd//6/7, SLthr+1& MShld +1 w/Slg +1, Club +2 & Sctr +2 (Slg**,Clb**,Q/S*, Scim*); RoH,
    Minsc: Rgr/7, SLthr+2, B/Stealth, GoP & CoP w/CLBow +1 &2HS+2&Mc+1;
    GoDx(LB**,2HS**,Mc*,2WS**,2HWS*)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/7, RotGA; CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm & RoP+2, AoMI (Slg*); Wands (, QS*MM, Frst,
    Fear, Pzn, Ltng)

edited May 2013
    Here is an update!

Saki had hunted down many vampires, but the last one, Bodhi, had eluded her after an epic fight. Magic Missiles, Chromatic Orbs, and Woodland creatures were seen everywhere!

Then, the group spoke to Aran, and got sent to Spellhold, or rather, the Island Brynnlaw. Saki had helped some of the people on the island by killing the Guildmistress Galena. Then, she got sent to Spellhold via Desharik, mostly due to Yoshimo's help. That is where they had found Imoen, who was really...crazy. Then, Saki had lost her soul, and fought with...BHAAL?! She easily defeated him with many sword slashes.

Lastly, Saki and her group, now including Imoen made their way through the maze, eventually encountering Bodhi. However, Saki had turned into the Slayer, the grizzly avatar of Bhaal, and forced Bodhi back into her mouse hole. Then, once out of the maze, Saki recruited the mages of Spellhold to defeat Irenicus, but sadly, Irenicus fled the scene. Which left Saki, and her group with the traitorous Yoshimo. Yoshimo and his band of assassins were killed quickly with Nalia's fireballs.

Current Party:
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 11
    Arath: Avenger - 14
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 11/13
    Cernd: Totemic Druid - 14
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 < 15
    Imoen: Thief < Mage - 10 < 11

Reloads: 1 (Saki got owned by a vampire.)

Notes: Well, that was exciting. Arath has an awesome reaction to the Slayer, it greatly amused me. Well played @Kaeloree , well played.

I may post another update today since I'm getting close to the ending. However, I think its time for a break.

"...Saki had lost her soul, and fought with...BHAAL?! She easily defeated him with many sword slashes.

...Saki and her group, now including Imoen ...eventually encountering Bodhi.

...Saki had turned into the Slayer, the grizzly avatar of Bhaal, and forced Bodhi back into her mouse hole....

...Well, that was exciting. Arath has an awesome reaction to the Slayer, it greatly amused me. blockquote>

Is Saki of evil alignment? I only ask b/c I've always wondered how the game would go if the PC 'embraced' his evil essence.

CT

@CharlestonianTemplar - Does it seem like she is evil? If so, then I really need to work on my True Neutral Roleplay better. Haha.

I have played a couple of playthroughs where embraces the essence. Its something to try to say the least.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @SapphireIce101 Heh, I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)
    Our first adventure out of Ulgoth’s Beard was @ the behest of a mage named Shandalar, to retrieve a cloak for him. We agreed & were teleported to an island where we were greeted by a huge Polar bear. We killed him & descended into a cave that was a prison for mages meticulously carved into the rock. Around every corner, it seemed, were Winter Wolves or spell casters. As a Wizard Slayer I was in my element. We moved ahead as we are accustomed to in labyrinths where traps might lay, i.e. Minsc on point using his Stealth & Jaheira following closely using Find Traps.

Key Event: Almost immediately we stumbled on a wizard who issued challenge to Minsc. Minsc withdrew & signaled us to position ourselves. We played ‘cat & mouse’ & finally drew the mage to where we could all bring force against him. I fired a bolt & then charged w/Kondar. Jaheira cast Dispel Magic, Dy a Spell Thrust & Immy, Melf’s Acid Arrow. Khalid & Minsc were firing arrows when suddenly the mage caught Jaheira, Khalid & Immy w/ Confusion. The mage died but when I moved forward a 2nd mage appeared & began hostilities. Now we had to fight w/o Jaheira, Khalid or Immy & avoid them randomly attacking us. I was struck by Melf’s Acid Arrow, for the second time. A third mage appeared & began attacking me w/Magic Missiles. I was sucking badly. I kept quaffing Elixir’s of Health between sword strokes @ the 2nd mage. It was 3 on 3. Minsc was lethal w/his bow & Dy was going toe to toe w/the 2nd mage. I had to step back & revert to my crossbow hoping to avoid more attacks until I could heal sufficiently. Before I knew it, the job was done & we were standing over the dead attackers.

We ended up killing 5 mages, ~ 5 Ankheg’s & ~ 8 Winter Wolves. The last mage, w/the cloak Shandalar wanted was a lot of talk but the battle was underwhelming. Almost as soon as we ascended we were teleported back to Ulgoth’s Beard & Shandalar.

Treasure of Note: Not much really. A couple of wands but we have wands out the wazoo!

Current Disposition: Resting, recuperating, resupplying @ Ulgoth’s Beard Inn

Next Steps: We are going to sell some Ankheg Shells & Winter Wolf pelts, then it’s off to Durlag’s Tower.

Imoen: Mage/Thf//6/7, (Dart*); KnRobe, BroDefAC7, GoB & CloProt +2; Multiple Wands, RoE,
    (B/Stealth)(Dart*,Dgr*)
    Khalid: Ftr/Lvl7, SLthr+1, GoB (MShld +1) & GSAm w/LBow of Mksmsp +2, Varscona +2 & Harrower +1/+3 vs.
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/7, RotGA; CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm & RoP+2, AoMI (Slg*); Multiple Wands e

edited May 2013
    Alright, sorry it took so long to post another update. Had some Tornado Warnings near my area. Good news though, I only got nickel, dime, and quarter sized hail, and lots of heavy rain. The pond near the apartment that I live in overflowed, and it was glorious. My prayers go out to the people that live in the areas that got struck by Tornadoes today.

@Kaeloree - Oh no, thank you for writing such an awesome character. Arath is definitely in my top five now.

Time to do an update.

Saki chose to go with Havarian, she wasn't quite sure -why-, perhaps it was to give him another chance. With that, she had to go steal a horn. Easy, right? WRONG! That damned Desharik knew what was going on, and killed his Pirate Wench!

Once the ship set sail from Brynnlaw...It was attacked by Githyanki, and Shark People(I know that isn't what they're called, but I rather say Shark People than attempt to spell out the other name!) at the same time! Now, Saki and her party were now under the sea (Sorry for the Little Mermaid Pun.), and forced to help those...evil shark people? Well, help the good ones anyway. Which, unfortunately, led her to attack a spectator beholder. He wouldn't let her have what was in the chest, and therefore, he had to die! Which, led Saki to the Rebel Prince, and eventually, killing the Mad King! Both fights involved Magic Missiles, Arath summoning Nymphs, and things of that ilk.

It was the usual in the underdark, kill this, kill that, turn into drow, steal this egg, and steal that egg. Nothing really eventful here.

Once out of the underdark, Arath's Archdruid, who apparently decided she wanted to be an ARCHMAGE instead, told Saki and Arath to close down a mine. Which, they did, quite happily. That battle had lots of arrows, and some magic missiles.

Current party
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 24
    Arath: Avenger - 16
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 14/14
    Cernd: Totemic Druid - 16
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 < 18
    Imoen: Thief < Mage - 10 < 18

Reloads: 1

Notes: Yeah, Arath's Archdruid decided she rather be an Archmage, it was awesome. Also, the feels from the Arath mod. So much feels. Well played again @Kaeloree well played. Making a note to play as a Male just to see if there is any difference in how Arath acts.

Edit: Also, I apologize if it seems like I'm typing in a rude tone, I'm not. Even though, I should probably go report the typo at the Arath forum.
    Probably the only update for today, considering that there is a fifty percent chance of having a tornado today. Even though, it currently looks like all the storms are going to stay east of me. Expect the worst, and hope for the best.

Update!

Saki went after Bodhi, because Bodhi had three things that belonged to her. Well, one actually belonged to the elves, and the other belonged to Imoen. However, Arath belonged to her! (Well, that came off a wee bit more possessive than I thought it would.) Saki cleared out the vampire coven without prejudice. Magic Missiles, protection spells, and Plantars fighting Bodhi, until she was finally dead. Imoen staked Bodhi, got her soul back. Then, they cured Arath of his vampirism problem, and of course, Saki and Arath joked about the whole thing.
    image(Probably spelled that wrong.)Then, she went go deal with Irenicus. Saki noticed that he was in a bubble, and thought 'Hmm, it would probably be a good idea to set traps here since he probably isn't going to be moving soon.' Once the Parasites were cleared out, Saki's intuition paid off, and Irenicus died due to traps.

The next thing Saki knew, she was in hell with all of her friends, and loved ones. She did what she had too, and collected all the tears of Bhaal. Then, she placed traps infront of the door, because it was obvious that the door could potential lead to Irenicus, or lead Irenicus to in there. So, when Irenicus came, he took a lot of trap damage, and nearly died. So, he went poof while everyone else played with the demons. Elemental Princes, Plantars/Devas were summoned. Nalia's shield decided that it wanted to put her into a Reslient Sphere. Meanwhile, Saki, Imoen, Cernd, and Arath, as well as some Devas/Plantars smacked Irenicus into the abyss.

Current Party:
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 27
    Arath: Avenger - 20
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 15/14
    Cernd: Totemic Druid -20
    Imoen: Thief < Mage - 10 < 20
    Nalia: Thief < Mage 4 < 20

Reloads: 1

Notes: Onto ToB! Also, Cernd sounds really angry when fighting Irenicus. I'm also not kidding when I say that Saki and Arath were joking about the whole vampirism thing, because they were. It was really awesome.

Probably the only update for today, considering that there is a fifty percent chance of having a tornado today. Even though, it currently looks like all the storms are going to stay east of me. Expect the worst, and hope for the best.

Great Updates but what I really want to know, is are you okay? The tornados did lots of horendous damage. Praying that you are unharmed. CT

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @SapphireIce101, please let us know as soon as you can if you are okay after the tornado outbreak. We're seeing some pretty awful images in the news of mass destruction.
    @CharlestonianTemplar and @belgarathmth - My family and I are alright. That EF5 that hit Moore, OK was -really- close to my apartment, but the apartment is fine. I can't say the same for others. No updates on Saki, and I may start on IWD until I can get back home permanetly.

Also, my thoughts and prayers are with the others who weren't as lucky. Especially the kids that were at Plaza Towers. I've been there for school once..It got hit really badly.
    edited May 2013
    I recon’d outside of Durlag’s Tower & found little of interest in the way of opposition. Durlag’s Tower appears to be formidable Motte & Bailey Castle. As I approached my followers & I were confronted by a Battle Horror. Tough competitors they are & we defeated him but had to withdraw to heal. Upon return we encountered another Battle Horror & defeated him w/difficulty also. The drawbridge was down & Ike was waiting impatiently for me there. I followed him over the moat & into the tower walls w/o challenge. Ike led us into to the entrance hall of the Motte. It was just a ‘dog & pony’ show until a Demon Knight appeared & started tossin’ Fireballs all over the place. We attacked him and tried to take him out but he stepped thru some kinda portal & disappeared before we could finish our work. We had to retire to heal as we were scorched pretty good.

Key Event: Afterword, I had us withdraw again & rest before returning and finish reconnoitering in the castle courtyard & walls. There we came to battle w/a 3rd Battle Horror, this one accompanied by skeleton’s w/Long Bows.

TOUGH BASTARDS THESE BATTLE HORRORS ARE!

We had another tough fight there & then on the opposite side of the castle walls ran into a Doom Guard accompanied by more skeletons. We killed him too but these fights are draining. We finally returned to the tower & inside we moved carefully w/Jaheira Finding Traps accompanied by Minsc using Stealth on point. Even so we tripped some traps & @ times I forced trapped chests out of frustration. Dy & Immy each carry a Knock spell but we’d used ‘em up. We killed 8 or 10 Ghasts and cleared the main floor & partially cleared the second floor and basement before retiring to rest & replenish our spells & strength.

Treasure of Note: None

Current Disposition: Resting & recuperating encamped outside Durlag’s Tower

Next Steps: Continue working the second floor & higher

Imoen: Mage/Thf//6/7, (Dart*); KnRobe, BroDefAC7, GoB & CloProt +2; Multiple Wands, RoE,
    (B/Stealth)(Dart*,Dgr*)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/7, RotGA; CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm & RoP+2, AoMI (Slg*); Multiple Wands e

@CharlestonianTemplar and @belgarathmth - My family and I are alright. That EF5 that hit Moore, OK was -really- close to my apartment, but the apartment is fine.

Also, my thoughts and prayers are with the others who weren't as lucky. Especially the kids that were at Plaza Towers. I've been there for school once..It got hit really badly.

So glad you are safe Sapphire. I echo your prayers for those affected. CT

The 3rd & 4th levels up in Durlag’s Tower revealed challenges I’d not seen before. Minsc & Jaheira were recon’ing the hallways & rooms w/Jaheira searching using her Find Traps spell while Minsc moved just ahead of her using his Stealth ability.

Key Event: On the 3rd level up w/encountered our first Ghost. Minsc & Jaheira stumbled on him in a room. He initially thought Minsc was Durlag. When he realized he wasn’t he attacked. Minsc fired off an Arrow +1 from his Composite Longbow +1 & scored a hit. Jaheira dropped a Flame Strike from her Wand of the Heaven’s on him. They conducted retrograde & warned us to position ourselves for combat. Nothing happened so Minsc moved back down the hall using Stealth. He tried to launch another arrow but I’m not sure he was able to. He retired again in hopes we would draw the Ghost out. We did & we attacked w/Dy firing off a Spell Thrust & Khalid charging w/Harrower +1. I charged into for melee & we killed him quickly but the Ghost left us in Chaos before he succumbed & there were some tense moments waiting for the spell to wear off. We retired to Nashkel to rest and recuperate.

On the top level up, Minsc & Jaheira encountered a Succubus our 1st Demoness. Minsc tried to attack & was hit w/a Dire Charm. Jaheira backed into the main hall & Minsc didn’t pursue. The Succubus appeared in the hall & we attacked w/spells & melee but she disappeared, this time leaving me Dire Charmed. The remaining party separated & waited & waited & waited while avoiding me. Minsc’s Dire Charm wore off & returned to the main hall. The Succubus reappeared & we attacked w/Minsc firing the decisive blow to kill her. Later, we finished clearing the basement of Ghasts & found a treasure of GPs & gems under a brick in the floor. We returned to Nashkel after a short foray into the 1st labyrinth level.

Treasure of Note: Tome of Understanding – Behmen

Current Disposition: Resting & recuperating in Nashkel.

Next Steps: 1st Labyrinth level of Durlag’s Tower

Behmen von Bleibruck, Ftr(Wzd-Slr)/7(19*, 10, 17*, 10, 17*, 11*)
    Akg PMail/LShld +1/+5, HoDef & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs, HCBow & Fl +1; *ToL/I, ToWx2, MoGE, MoBH, (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    (B/Stealth)(Dart*,Dgr*)

I took my followers deeper into Durlag’s Tower. We battled Wraith & Phase Spiders, Ghasts, Skeleton’s & Greater Doppelgangers. The most dangerous part was loosing the treasure in the trapped bookshelves. I had the party vacate the rooms & hunkered down knowing I was likely to take damage. I’m well protected against lightning & somewhat against fire & cold & magic.

Key Event: I eventually came across & questioned 4 warders who were guarding entrance to a deeper level. Each tested us w/a riddle. After working our way over & around traps, Phase Spiders, Wraith Spiders, Skeleton Warriors, Ghasts & trapped chests to decipher the riddles we did so. As we answered warders’ riddle they disappeared until I handed a bottle of wine to the last of the 4, we were attacked by ALL 4. They put an absolute beating on us. I couldn’t pull Minsc away & tried to conduct a retrograde to regroup. I got all but Minsc to the basement pursued by 3 warders but Khalid, Dy & finally Immy were slain there. We killed only 1 of them. Jaheira & I moved to the main floor pursued by 2 warders, 1 which we destroyed w/difficulty. Unable to shake the last we removed ourselves from the tower to heal. Jaheira quaffed a Potion of Invulnerability & died immediately??? I was alone. Jaheira had our Potion Case so I had access to all our Potions of Healing. Having healed I continued to battle the warder but he got the best of me time & again. I finally damaged him w/a Bolt of Lightning & then pulled out Kondar realizing his blows, though painful & numerous weren’t overly damaging. I finally landed the fateful blow & he was gone. I quaffed other Potions of Healing & then returned to the basement & the 1st labyrinth level to begin collecting my followers’ equipment. I was unmolested as I collected all of their belongings, carrying the most important w/me & putting the rest in chests in the tower to collect later. Upon return to Nashkel Nalin was able to Raise Dead using each person’s personal items to draw their life force from. We collected ourselves, rested & returned to collect the remainder of our equipment.

FINALLY DEFEATING FEAR!

MEDIEVAL MEDAL OF HONOR?

Treasure of Note: The Practical Defense (Plate Mail +3 - Behmen)

Current Disposition: RECUPERATING in Nashkel

Next Steps: 2nd Labyrinth Level

Level Up: Dy became a Warlock (Mage-Invoker/8) & elected to add Haste & Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere to her memorized spells. Immy’s power increased to Enchanter (Mage/7) & she selected Stinking Cloud & Greater Malison to carry as memorized.

Behmen von Bleibruck, Ftr(Wzd-Slr)/7(19*, 10, 17*, 10, 17*, 11*)
    PMail +3/LShld +1/+5, HoDef & BoG w/BSwd+1/+3 vs. SSs, HCBow & Fl +1; *ToL/I, ToWx2, MoGE, MoBH, (BSwd**,CBow*,SSS**,SWS*)
    Imoen: Mage/Thf//7/7, (Dart*); KnRobe, BroDefAC7, GoB & CloProt +2; Multiple Wands, RoE,
    (B/Stealth)(Dart*,Dgr*)
    Dynahier: Mg-Invk/8, RotGA; CloND w/Slg, Dgr+1; RoEm & RoP+2, AoMI (Slg*); Multiple Wands e

Jaheira quaffed a Potion of Invulnerability & died immediately???

So what was that all about? Anyone have any ideas? I recall reading the info & it seemed real enough but as soon as she drank it she was dead. I usually have an eye for the 'bad potions' but maybe I was missing something.

Just wondered if it was a bug. Having Jaheira alive to help would have been much better than going it alone.

CKT

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Sounds like she got hit by something just as she drank the potion. She could have rolled a one on the save from something. She wasn't standing in Cloudkill, I assume? She may have stepped on a trap, and the trap triggered just after the "gulp".

Sometimes a particularly strong hit from something will kill a character suddenly, even if they are at full health. If your attention is elsewhere, you might not see it coming. It it's Charname, you'll never know why the game ended suddenly.

Did you examine the text in the actions window? There should have been an explanation of some kind available there. Do you have the feedback text for damage and hit rolls turned on? If not, you should.
    edited May 2013
    Nope. We were standing out on the drawbridge in front of the tower all alone.

It was a dumb-dumb on my part. I went back to an earlier save & found the potion in our Potion Bag. There it was.

"This Potion has a strange, murky color that you've not seen in other potions."

Dope!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    ^^ Since she is in charge of the party potions I'd say it was Jahiera's fault for not paying closer attention when first acquiring the potion or during a rest period when there was adequate time to examine the potion bag for leakage or questionable color or aromas that might indicate a lack of purity within the potions under her charge - in the heat of battle there is no time for such nuances - perhaps in the future she will be more diligent in her duties.

Since she was the one effected by her mistake and not another party member I wonder if a stern warning might be enough without docking her pay...just this once...
    Wanderon said:

Since she is in charge of the party potions I'd say it was Jahiera's fault for not paying closer attention - perhaps in the future she will be more diligent in her duties.
    Since she was the one effected by her mistake and not another party member I wonder if a stern warning might be enough without docking her pay...just this once...

All well said. If it have weren't for my Lawful Goodness.... & that Khalid fellow w/that Dead Shot +2 Longbow , I'd come up w/some imaginative punishment for her naughtiness! LOL
    edited May 2013
    BAD JAHEIRA!

Well, I actually do have an update, and its a week after that nasty EF5 tornado. Good news from that, my family and I were able to recover some items from storage. Mom has to go back to see if she wants to keep that crystal though.

After talking to some stone heads, that spoke of prophecy and death. A Bhaalspawn named Illasera the Quick found Saki. Obviously a battle ensued. Horrid Wiltings, Spell Deflections, and Devas/Planetars were summoned. It was rather quick, as poor Illasera group could not withstand the might of Saki, and her faithful companions.

Imoen donated some of her soul to restore Sarevok to a fully corporeal form. Then, Saki went to complete her first trial. The ghost of a former bhaalspawn called it ‘Retribution’. It was quite easy. Imoen used her Horrid Wilting, and Nalia used her fireball. Imoen also cast Globe of Invulnerability on herself, as well as spell immunity: divination. Cernd, Jaheira, and Arath cast barkskin on themselves. Arath also summoned some animals which were killed by Nalia’s fireball. Nalia had cast Spell Deflection upon herself as well.

Saki’s arrival to Saradush was a very bloody one. The guards were killed easily, and Saki saved some civilians from their near death experience. It made Saki quite happy.

Saki helped do some odd jobs around Saradush. Some of which had some mixed results. However, the one of note was killing the traitor, Kiser. Everyone summoned a Planetar or a Deva, which just outright destroyed his forces in a matter of seconds.

Next, Saki cleared out Gromnir’s castle. Eventually, that led to Saki to kill Gromnir. Cernd summoned an Elemental Prince. Nalia used her horrid wiltings, and then used true sight, which was followed up by Globe of Invulnerability, and a Spell Deflection spell. Jaheira, and Imoen did not live, but their sacrifices in the battle was not in vain.

Notes: Not going to update the levels, or the reloads. Well, really, I haven't had to reload yet, in ToB. Perhaps there will be another update, perhaps not.
    Post edited by SapphireIce101 on
    Another update!

Saki led her group through the wilderness to a temple, and eventually, Yaga-Shura's base. She had cleared out the Mountain. And retrieved two hearts. Which she brought back to Nyalee. Nyalee, however, regained her compassion for Yaga-Shura, and had to be killed with Saki's blades.

Saki went after Yaga-Shura next. She utterly destroyed him with her blades. While Arath summoned a Deva. Jaheira took the brunt of Yaga-Shura's damage, thanks to Iron Skins. Saki's six-man group was able to outlast Yaga-Shura's army.

In another test, Saki had to fight herself, or rather the self that could have been if Sarevok and her place had been switched. Arath summoned a Deva, and Cernd summoned the Elemental Prince, Sunnis. Evil Saki died first, followed by Tamoko, then Semaj, and followed by Angelo.

Current Party:
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 33
    Arath: Avenger - 25
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 18/14
    Cernd: Totemic Druid - 25
    Imoen: Thief < Mage - 10 < 23
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 < 23

Reloads: 0 in ToB.

Notes: There were a couple of times when Saki was fighting herself that I thought she was going to die. *phew* There may be another update today.

Current Party:
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 33
    Arath: Avenger - 25
    Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - 18/14
    Cernd: Totemic Druid - 25
    Imoen: Thief < Mage - 10 < 23
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 < 23

Some awesome levels! I've only played all the way thru BGII once. I don't remember levels like that. Very cool.

Sapphire, did you carry this PC over from BGI? Did you have the experience point cap on over there if you did? Do you have it capped in BGII?

I only ask b/c I wondered what levels PCs/NPCs would be if they went thru both w/o exp point caps.

CT

@CharlestonianTemplar - I do believe the max level without an experience point cap is 50.

Yes, I carried her over from BG1. I think I removed the experience cap on there too. Its been a couple of months since I played BG1.
    Another Update, and some potential bad weather. Ew.

Saki had found her way to Sendai, and took her out. That win came at a great personal loss. Jaheira, and Cernd were now gone forever. However, the group had avenged the both of them with Arath turning into a Fire Elemental, and summoning Devas/Planetars. As well as using breach spells.

Back at the pocket plane, Saki brought Aerie, and Sarevok into the group. Then, she completed her task of defeating her innocence. Saki had took the most hits. However, Arath summoned many animals. While Nalia cast breach.

Current Party:
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 35
    Sarevok: Fighter - 26
    Arath: Avenger - 26
    Imoen: Thief < Mage - 10 < 24
    Aerie: Cleric/Mage - 18/16
    Nalia: Thief < Mage - 4 Notes: Damn, I'm not quite sure how Jaheira, and Cernd died permanently, but I'm sure it wasn't Imprisonment. Because I tried to use Freedom and nobody came back up. They probably got petrified, and then Sendai just roflpwn'd them that way.
    Final Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal update.

Saki had cleared her way through Abazagal's lair. Freed a dragon from her geas to him, even. However, Saki had destroyed Abazagal outright. Planetars and Devas were out and about, while Saki and Sarevok smacked Abazagal with their swords.

There was only one more Bhaalspawn after that, Balthazar. Saki had convinced Balthazar that she wasn't evil, and that she wasn't going to take the taint. Sadly, Balthazar killed himself. With that, Saki was sent back to the stone heads. That is where Imoen was lost forever. Due to a Fallen Deva.

After completing the left over tests, and replacing Imoen with a familiar face, aka Coran. Saki went after Amelyssan. It was a war just to get to her. Amelyssan had convinced Sarevok to join her. However, that did not worry Saki at all. She knew that Sarevok was too much of a wild card. Sarevok had destroyed Coran though. While everyone else destroyed the five, and Sarevok. There were Planetars and Devas being summoned. Protection spells being flown about. Then, the Solar showed up, and said it was over. Saki chose to remain mortal, and therefore, to stay with Arath.

Current Party:
    Saki: Kensai < Thief - 14 < 37
    Arath: Avenger - 27
    Nalia: Thief < Mage 4 < 26
    Aerie: Cleric/Mage - 21/18

Notes: Imoen did show up back at the Throne, but then she said she was way out of league of this stuff and went POOF. Also, I totally recommend Arath. Hes an awesome character, and definitely not like other druids.