Skip to content

Sword Coast Stratagems now available for BG:EE

Comments

• PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2013
    @akuro
    @DavidW
    Well, this is exactly what i was experiencing with my french dialog.tlk file and SCS.

I didn't saw it on other things than mages, because mages were the first to use SCS strings in my game, but these crashes you're talking about are exactly what i saw myself.

Even though some people told me it was impossible that a translated string could crash the game, i'm still looking for french people that can make SCS work on their french version.
    Maybe there is a problem with the new patch and the way SCS works in other languages like french and german.
    Post edited by Palanthis on
    Akuro
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar It can't find your dialog.tlk file.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2013
    @Bercon
    Bercon said:

@TvrtkoSvrdlar It can't find your dialog.tlk file.

But how? The original dialog.tlk is in lang/en_US, and the hardlinked 'copy' is in the installation directory, along with Weidu and all the SCS install files. Oh, and I had no problem installing BG2 Tweaks - it's only SCS that's giving me trouble. No idea why.

EDIT:
    Well, I managed to find SCS v23, and it installed without a hitch. I have no idea why v24 is giving me so much grief.

Post edited by TvrtkoSvrdlar on
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    Crazy shit, I'm glad to hear that!
    Just tried out V.25, but nevertheless the problem I mentioned persists:

Whenever your mod "does" something with strings, the game crashes.
    If I install the "Skip Candlekeep component", the game crashes as soon as the guard initiates his dialogue.
    Moreover, the game crashes as soon as the string "schluck" ("gulp") is displayed when an enemy quaffs a potion.

I'm using the German language of BGEE V1.2.

@DavidW :Any solutions yet? I'd really appreciate your help because I don't want to play BGEE without SCS anymore...
  • YoAALYoAAL Member Posts: 3
    I'm having a weird problem trying to install v25. It allows me select if I want to install every component/all for every single category but when it comes to the time to select the specific components it pops:

successfully installed stratagems quick install program
    'setup-stratagems' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

then I can only press enter to exit, but nothing gets installed.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    YoAAL said:

I'm having a weird problem trying to install v25. It allows me select if I want to install every component/all for every single category but when it comes to the time to select the specific components it pops:

successfully installed stratagems quick install program
    'setup-stratagems' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

then I can only press enter to exit, but nothing gets installed.

I can tell you how to work around it easily enough. Make a copy of weidu.exe and call it setup-stratagems.exe.

Why it's happening I'm less certain...

Akuro said:

Crazy shit, I'm glad to hear that!
    Just tried out V.25, but nevertheless the problem I mentioned persists:

Whenever your mod "does" something with strings, the game crashes.
    If I install the "Skip Candlekeep component", the game crashes as soon as the guard initiates his dialogue.
    Moreover, the game crashes as soon as the string "schluck" ("gulp") is displayed when an enemy quaffs a potion.

I'm using the German language of BGEE V1.2.

@DavidW :Any solutions yet? I'd really appreciate your help because I don't want to play BGEE without SCS anymore...

I have no clue. If you can confirm that it works okay in English it would be useful.
  • YoAALYoAAL Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, it worked now.
  • PSUHammerPSUHammer Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    Just installed v25 on Steam version of BGEE 1.2. Wanted the NPC to Inn option. I am talking to Xan in the Nashkel Mines and conversation options 3 through 5 show up as "Invalid 32362" (and 63, 64).

Any thoughts?

** EDIT - I read that the dialog.tlk file may need moved back to the language folder. I did that and all appears well so far.
    Post edited by PSUHammer on
    edited November 2013
    DavidW said:

Akuro said:

[...]

I have no clue. If you can confirm that it works okay in English it would be useful.

Yes, it does. If I change my language to English after the installation, the mod works well. Obviously in that case, if the guard initiates his dialogue (this goes for all the new strings), the reference "missing string 33222 (or any other number) is displayed instead of the text (because I installed the mod for the German language), but the game does not crash.

It only crashes if I change the language back to German :-/
    I'm really desperate here, because I'm a little bit torn at the moment:
    Either play the game without SCS but in my mother tongue (which is necessary in order to evoke my childhood memories) or
    play the game with SCS but in English (which is "just not the same")....
    Can you download the mod again (updated ten minutes ago) and see if the problem persists? Hopefully I've solved it.
    JuliusBorisovAkuro
    Palanthis said:

@akuro
    Maybe there is a problem with the new patch and the way SCS works in other languages like french and german.

I believe that's correct. The Enhanced Edition uses a new encoding (UTF-8) of accented characters (I hadn't really taken this in until this morning), but reports suggest that on prepatch versions it just truncated the string. Now if I present it with an accented character in an oldstyle-encoded string, it crashes. Recoding in UTF-8 solves the problem on my install - but I'm keen to hear from others using the game in non-English languages whether it works for them.
    Akuro
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited November 2013
    @DavidW
    If you are asking about polish language it doesn't work properly with your .tra file,
    I encoded my translation for SCS in UTF-8 (no BOM), that is the only encoding that actually works with polish language.

[test file]

[UTF-8 (no BOM)] file before your encoding

as you can see there is proper text shown only in second screen

PS. I will update polish translation very soon

PPS. Still need to be tested if tokens are recognized and implemented correctly with tra encoded with UTF-8 (no BOM)
    Post edited by Grieg on
    OK, thanks. (I have very little ability to tell whether a translation is right or not.) Does your encoding also work on vanilla BG2?
    @DavidW I will have to check it in vanilla BG if it won't work, I will send you 2 files with working encoding, meanwhile I have updated translation to most current version and attached to this post

Also here are some possible mistakes in your english tra:

@3356=Displacer Cloak=>Displacement Cloak
    @2506 = Sephulchral=>Sepulchral
    @13142=werewolf=>greater werewolf (just like @13140 is lesser werewolf and @13141 is werewolf)
    @21126=compaions=>companions
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @DavidW, @Grieg
    The encodings need to be different. BGEE requires UTF8 and old BG2 require CP1252 (in this particular case).
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited November 2013
    I made experiments with the character encoding and posted my observations in this topic.
    However it looks even more necessary to have proper encoding with V1.2. Instead of bad characters, I had a crash in game with Rogue Rebalancing updated kit description, when I replaced the proper UTF8 encoded tra files with those for BG II and tried to create an assassin.

As far as I know, original encoding for old Infinity Engine games differ with languages. A specific font was provided in the games in Polish (at least) to take this difference into account. Western Europe uses cp1252, Polish and Czech use cp1250 and russian cp1251.

@Palanthis, I wrote a batch file to convert encoding for BGEE for French language, for mods originally written for older games. You can it here. Provided you don't have mods that have unusual organisation of tra files, it should work. It does for SCS.

@DavidW, @Wisp Is there still a reason why SCS and RR keep using a bat file and weidu.exe, instead of the reguler setup-Mod.exe, to install? Since WeiDU now handles the language choice to add to the right dialog.tlk, is there still a reason not to use "the usual way", as Camdawg wrote in this guide in this forum?
    @Isaya
    I simply haven't had the time to update RR yet. Once I do, the batch file crap will be gone from RR as quick as you can blink.
    For me, it's just not having understood the new WEIDU. @Wisp - is this documented?
    DavidW said:

Can you download the mod again (updated ten minutes ago) and see if the problem persists? Hopefully I've solved it.

First thank you very much for putting so much effort in solving the problems concerning the translated versions of BGEE.
    I'm sorry - I have no clue when it comes to unicodes, reformatting and such - but I'll download v. 1.25 tomorrow and will give it another try.

@DavidW
    New WeiDU? No more so than the other interactive parts. But it's basically old WeiDU with an additional, one-time question.

Or the encodings? I believe Beamdog has gone on record to say they use UTF8 for everything, but the encodings for the old editions is researched (mostly, it's just the native encodings for the localised Windows versions offered in the same region).
    Oh - sorry, I think I was misunderstanding. I thought you meant the ee_language macro in RR that LOAD_TRAs the UTF-8 encodings. But rereading I realise you're talking about something else.

In which case, @Isaya: I use a batch file because of SCS's auto-installer. Which itself isn't the most elegant solution in the world, but SCS has 130 components some of which can take 5-10 minutes to install, and the conventional WEIDU install process is just a bit too cumbersome.
    DavidW said:

Heya, it's me, Ak... oh sorry, wrong place, wrong time. :)
    I don't know if it was your update or the fact that I installed SCS two times (one time to install it and then another time directly from the 0766 folder) but now SCS is working for the German translation of BGEE! Whooo!

So far I haven't encountered any problems given that I've only crushed a few skulls in Candlekeep harhar).
    Now the modding process can begin! (Allowing spellcasting in leather armor, making Paladins being able to cast without waiting time - I call this battlemagic or anything like that etc.)

Thank you @DavidW !
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Wisp @DavidW Thank you very much for your explanations.

I'm writing a guide on how to use mods with BGEE (French only) since people report many problems (including people who never used mods on old games) and I want to provide as simple instructions as can be. Since there are mods using setup-MyMod.exe, some using bat file and usually an old weidu.exe to point to the en_US directory (not right for French), with and various other ways, my goal was to say for all : use the new weidu as setup-MyMod.exe, replacing existing ones in case they're old, or create them for mods that don't have one (typically because they use weidu.exe and a bat file).

I understand that there is no obstacle to using this method, even if it can be a pain to choose among 130 components (that's a lot more than I remember!). It may still be easier than giving complex instructions depending on mods (edit .bat to change the en_US directory, etc.).
    Well, say what you like, of course, but the SCS instructions are: don't change anything, just run it.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    @Isaya : thanks for the file you provided.
    I don't really need it now, since i just play my actual playthrough in english (because of the french problem i talked about actually). I'm not feeling like reinstalling everything again, and in the middle of my playthrough.
    Still, i'm sure it will be helpful for a lot of french people around here.

Also i'm glad to see this language bug is almost fixed or so.
    And in a way i'm happy to see this was actually a real bug - for a time i was thinking i did something wrong on my install, because i was the only one getting this bug.
    @DavidW
    So here is file encoded in cp1250 for old BG and UTF-8(no bom) for EE

(this forum doesn't accept tra-files)
  • OlleDenStoreOlleDenStore Member Posts: 43
    @DavidW
    I'm having a weird bug and I'm not sure whether it's a regular BG2:EE bug or a SCS bug. Whenever I transition from one outdoor zone to another I get a random encounter in the woods with a bunch of goblins that yell "adventurers, run!!" and disappear. This happens every time I transition, even in between the different parts of Athkatla where you would normally get a "back alley encounter" like the slavers and such. I've attached a save file where this happens. Thoughts??
    Also great work on the mod I like it a lot! :)
    Tsyrith
  • OlleDenStoreOlleDenStore Member Posts: 43
    Oops on the save file there. It wasn't done uploading :)
    Save.zip 498.7K