Skip to content

The Anime Thread

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I normally prefer manga, but I just watched the first episode of Knights of Sidonia. I read most of (if not all) the first volume, but it just felt a little clunky. It's really nice in anime form, though. It's a Netflix exclusive, though, so... =\ For the record, if you start watching it and think the animation seems crappy, keep watching. It seems like it has a really bad frame rate, but it gets better throughout the episode. I know I'll keep watching.

They've got one season out right now. No clue how many volumes that covers. It's twelve episodes, though, so I'm guessing it's more than one volume. I know there are at least four volumes of the manga out right now. Other than that, I can't say.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618

Watch Akame ga Kill! on CrunchyRoll
    Under the rule of a tyrannical empire, Tatsumi, a young swordsman, leaves his home to save his poverty stricken village. He meets a girl named Akame, an assassin who was bought, brainwashed and trained to kill by the Empire. Akame is a member of the secret assassin group called “Night Raid” who use special weapons called Teigu. Together, Tatsumi and the members of Night Raid confront the corrupt empire.

2 episodes so far and this one seems rather cool!
    After those two episodes, I'm rather glad this going to be 24 episodes, as I can't wait to see where this goes.

@TheCoffeeGod‌ Akame Ga Kiru (or kill) is EXCELLENT. I've read the manga for all 50 current chapters, and it's fabulous. Be prepared to see everyone die, though. No one's safe. No one.
    Yeah, they made that pretty clear in Ep. 02 when Tatsumi agreed to join Night Raid.

Watch Haikyu!! on CrunchyRoll

Ep. 17

Since I dislike sports in general (be it real or anime), I really can't believe how much I'm enjoying this one!
    Everything from the comedy/drama/intensity whiplash to the OST.

And speaking of the OST, like most anime I truly enjoy, I love the OST!
    It's just super good and very fitting for the most part, drawing you in even more deeply into the story.

Not sure who is doing Parasyte, but as long as they don't $%#^ it up, it'll be great.

Looks like Madhouse is doing Parasyte.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    DIGIMON?! SWEET! =D

Attack on Titan Q&A Panel at Animagic in Bonn, Germany

Looks like George Wada confirmed Attack on Titan S2 is in pre-production.
    So we are indeed getting a second season some time in the future!

Not sure who is doing Parasyte, but as long as they don't $%#^ it up, it'll be great.

Looks like Madhouse is doing Parasyte.

And here's a "special video" that was just released for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hHXtiIm6ug

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Watch My Ordinary Life on CrunchyRoll

Marathon Time!

Hey guys,

Get ready for a marathon, because we've got some titles that are unfortunately going back into the depths of the anime vault. The following titles will be available on Crunchyroll until the end of this month, Sunday, August 31 at midnight Pacific Time:

Gosick
    Fortune Arterial
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1 & 2
    The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya
    Nyoron Churuya-san
    Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun
    Kiddy GiRL-AND
    Lucky Star
    Maburaho
    Venus to Mamoru!
    Seitokai No Ichizon - Student Councils Discretion
    My Ordinary Life
    Omamori Himari
    Uraboku
    The Mystic Archives of Dantalian
    Otogi-Soushi (Manga 2.5)

So go pop some popcorn and invite your friends over and have an anime sleepover!

For those that have had the misfortune to neglect watching My Ordinary Life (Nichijou) thus far, now is the time to partake in this awesome series, with only 5 more days before it gets removed from CR.

edited September 2014

Watch INVADERS of the ROKUJYOMA!? on CrunchyRoll

Ep. 08

This is such a fun silly series!
    Though with this episode it turned rather serious and ended in a cliffhanger.
    I love the OP though!
    It sounds more fitting if it was the No Game No Life OP to me however, and kind of makes me wish it were so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTKhOkVXQ1Q

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    No love for Aldnoah Zero?

Then I shall share!!

Trailer

With the coming of Sailor Moon, I've started watching tons of anime again. Of all the new shows to come out for the summer, this one's my favorite. The story's really complex and interesting (done by the writer of Madoka Magica), the music is badass (done by the composer who did Attack on Titan's OST), and it even knows how to use CGI without looking absurd.

It's kind of like a mixture of Evangelion and Code Geass--all of the super scary insanely-difficult alien-robot fights of Eva and all of the political intrigue of Geass. Except our protagonist has no super powers (unless you count being really smart as a super power), and there's no fanservice. Seriously.

Although that last bit might be a turn-off to some of you. Ah well. It's a win for me. ;)

It's streaming on Crunchyroll and Hulu. Go watch episode one. Now. You won't be disappointed!

For the most part, I avoid AoA titles unless it's something I'm already interested in, so I don't have to spend an arm & leg if I actually like something of theirs.

In this particular case though, I'm generally not a fan of most mech/big robot series, so I never bothered with this one since it's not of interest to me.

Watch Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun on CrunchyRoll

Ep. 10

Man, this series is just so damn funny!
    I think out of the 10 episodes I watched thus far, there's only be 2 of the 10 that I was rolling laughter through the episode.
    It just knows exactly how to tickle my funny bone!

http://pf.nhk-ep.co.jp/detail_printable/1805

Looks like Log Horizon 2 is going to be 25 eps. long, just like the first season was.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited September 2014
    I wish they made 20th Century Boys into an anime. It would be awesome. I still need to see the live action films, but I hear they were just okay.

I've recently started watching Attack on Titan and think its pretty entertaining. Also love Legend of Korra, can't wait for the last season (next month!)

I wish they made 20th Century Boys into an anime. It would be awesome. I still need to see the live action films, but I hear they were just okay.

I've recently started watching Attack on Titan and think its pretty entertaining. Also love Legend of Korra, can't wait for the last season (next month!)

Fellow Korra fans, unite! *high-fives*

We've been watching Attack on Titan on Toonami, caught up to right about when we stopped watching the Japanese version on Crunchyroll. That darn Female Titan arc is still too long... *sigh*

It could be worse, I guess. It could always be Sword Art Online II. *shudders*

So I received my AoT LE Part 2 + Artbox yesterday!
    I still hate digibooks with a passion, but I have to say, for being digibooks, they did a pretty good job of making them and the artbox look good at least.

Too bad they made the digibooks stack the BDs/DVDs on top of each other on either side of the book, now we get to worry about scratches and gashes in the BDs/DVDs from removing them or them sliding against each other.

After all the stink fans made about not including an artbox with the LEs like they usually do, and making it a FUNi store CE exclusive, I'm rather glad they reversed their thinking and included an LE Part 2+artbox for purchase, even if it was a rather limited amount.

That being said though, here's a pic of my set!

edited September 2014

Sometimes I hate Kadokawa.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle has been solicited in Japan with 5 volumes.
    Same MSRP; v1 has 2 episodes so S2 should only be 10 episodes long.

Log Horizon 2 Anime Moves to Studio DEEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA1TPmJda8U

Looks like S2 of Log Horizon is getting a studio change from S1.
    I just hope they can stay on the general character model that was in S1. It's rather jarring most of the time when character designs change too drastically from season to season.

Crunchyroll Adds "Log Horizon 2" to Fall Anime Lineup

As to be expected, but still nice to see!

I really like the design of the armors in that one. They all look really cool and relatively logical. Was there a Log Horizon 1 before this?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Elrandir said:

I really like the design of the armors in that one. They all look really cool and relatively logical. Was there a Log Horizon 1 before this?

Yep. Basically an MMORPG gone real. Not as dark as .Hack or SOA, but still a keeper in any case.

Other than Log Horizon 2 there aren't much shows which interest me this fall. But at least there will be Parasyte. And judging from its manga the show will be remembered for decades to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hHXtiIm6ug
    @Kamigoroshi Oh god... That manga used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. ;_; Pretty wild that after twenty years it's getting a screen adaption. :D
    edited October 2014

With FUNi announcing the rest of their FALL season licenses today, and Parasyte not being on it, it looks like it'll probably pop up on one of CruchyRoll's announcements.
    Especially considering it's NTV holds the international rights.

Post edited by TheCoffeeGod on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I feel a little late to the party, but I started watching Kill la Kill recently, and it's quickly becoming an all-time favorite, especially after episode 15 where one of my favorite villains in the series dons a clearly Juggernaut-inspired suit of armor. Watch it on Crunchyroll, you pigs in human clothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqF5i4qloVE