Skip to content

The Anime Thread

Comments

• TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618

Watch One Week Friends on CrunchyRoll

Ep. 01

This is one of the two series I actually wanted to see this season!
    And I have to say, solid first episode.
    I'm really going to love this one!
    Though it'll probably make me cry rivers in later episodes, but still loved it.

Ep. 03 of One Week Friends

This series is just so adorable and endearing!

Shogo addresses the elephant in the corner: the ridiculously specific memory disorder. Kudos to the author for addressing it intelligently, pointing out the real possibilities (a mental condition tied to trauma or a physical issue related to brain damage).

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders started a while back... So far it looks pretty good.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Hey, I have a question for you guys. My brother was watching this show called Deathnote and I couldn't help but be reminded of Hexxat. In the show there was this mysterious guy who no one knew anything about that seemed to be pulling a lot of strings or something. In Hexxat's quest she works for a mysterious guy who wants her to get some treasures from tombs and you don't ever get to see him (at least in SoA. I haven't finished my ToB game with Hexxat yet). They are both mysterious characters who work form behind the scenes, but the thing that got to me was that both of them were named "L". Do you guys think this is just a coincidence or is this L in Hexxat's quest possibly a shout out to that show?

(Make sure to tag me when you answer my question.)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Tresset‌

Not a shout out, that's for sure.

Caution: Open the spoiler if you want to get spoiled.

In Hexxat's case, L stands for the Shadow King Larloch. You could even say he's the undead lich version of Elminster.
    You mean
    That guy who's claim to fame is a weak level 1 spell? You would think he would have a better spell to his name than that...)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I don't know... Have you seen L?

Looks undead to me.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Last time I've checked being emo does not equal to being undead. First you'd have to raise L after his untimely death, preferable as decayed zombie.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    L isn't really "emo" anyway, he's more "unkempt weirdo".
    In any case, I was right about it being unrelated. My brother seemed certain it was a shout out...
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I like to imagine a bit in Dorn's ToB quest is Deathnote inspired, but L isn't.

If I were to smuggle an anime reference in, it would probably be from a gag series like Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh, Yakitate Japan, etc. and the writers would probably cut it for being incomprehensible. The only other thing I could think of is a reference from a well known dub like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Pokemon... and Rasaad saying something like "In the name of the moon, I punish you." would be a hard sell no matter how much it makes me laugh.

2nd Chaika - The Coffin Princess Anime Season Set for October

WooHoo!
    I thought it was only going to be one season, glad to see it's a split-cour two season.

• AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    I remember first watching Sailor Moon in high school, just about twenty years ago. It's amazing to think it's taken this long for it to get a proper English release, and for Stars to get a release at all (well, I own the Japanese DVDs of it, but y'know what I mean).

At least more people will finally get to see Stars, which is totally the best season.

Watch Sailor Moon (sub) on Hulu

Since VIZ started putting up the uncut sub on Hulu, I might as well post the link for those that want to watch it.

For those that grew up with and loved the Battle of The Planets adaption of Gatchaman like I did, it looks like The Anime Network got the streaming license for it.

http://mad.ly/af9dd4?fe=1&pact=22770002832
    Battle of The Planets Lands on the Anime Network Online!

The show that started it all is now on Anime Network! Catch up an old favorite and join in on the fun as Mark, Jason, Princess, Keyop, and Tiny battle the evil forces of Zoltar from Planet Spectra. G-Force is a force to be reckoned with.

Watch the first 12 English DUBBED episodes on the Anime Network Online with a Premium Subscription.
    http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Battle-of-the-Planets/Watch

About the Series
    Somewhere off the West Coast of the United States, deep beneath the surface of the sea is the secret and extremely important world defense headquarters, Center Neptune. To guard this vital base against attack by alien enemies is a huge responsibility of five exceptional, highly-specialized orphans called G-FORCE and, of course, robot coordinator 7-Zark-7. The G-FORCE protects Earth and the rest of the galaxy from the evil of Zoltar and the planet Spectra.

Schedule Starting May 23rd
    Rated: TV-PG

A Different Take on the Same Story:
    Be sure to check out Gatchaman TV now available on the Anime Network Online!

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Battle-of-the-Planets/Watch

Looks like the TAN stream got changed to Free access today.

They also started putting it up on Hulu as well.
    http://www.hulu.com/battle-of-the-planets

AoA posted a subbed SAO II trailer this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK4i62i2aV0

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    More of a manga man myself.

Watch No Game No Life on CrunchyRoll

This series has been rather awesome!
    The past few episodes have been rather amazing I've loved this particular story arc!
    They actually put a lot of thought into this one and the direction from the director was rather well done.

Finished up this series yesterday, and I have to say... OH MY!
    This series is just sooo good!
    It even ended on a relatively good note.

Sailor Moon Sailor Moon Sailor Moon SAILOR MOON CRYSTAL PREMIERES ON JULY 5TH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiewJt80eQ

MY HYPE CANNOT BE CONTAINED!! :D
    It's kind of a shame that TOEI decided to release Sailor Moon Crystal every other week rather than every week like a normal season series though.

It's kind of a shame that TOEI decided to release Sailor Moon Crystal every other week rather than every week like a normal season series though.

I actually didn't know about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, they should be announcing the new English voice-actors for the Viz dub at Anime Expo tomorrow. :D:D:D So stoked!!
    edited July 2014

Also, they should be announcing the new English voice-actors for the Viz dub at Anime Expo tomorrow. :D:D:D So stoked!!

And here it is!

New Sailor Moon Dub Cast Revealed at Anime Expo

-edit-

And since the first episode is up on CR, I'll post the link.

Watch Sailor Moon Crystal on CrunchyRoll

Crunchyroll Streams Magimoji Rurumo Anime by Yowapeda's Watanabe

WOOHOO!
    The series I was looking forward to the most this season!

Watch Magimoji Rurumo on CrunchyRoll
    Based off a manga by Wataru Watanabe, the author of popular cycling manga Yowapeda, Magimoji Rurumo follows the story of a boy named Kota Shibaki, who suddenly gets a bunch of magical tickets one day. Rurumo, a witch that was demoted to an apprentice witch, uses these tickets as training in the human world, and Kota can use these tickets to grant wishes, which are part of Rurumo’s training. However, the catch is that each ticket that is used shortens Kota’s lifespan, so will he help out Rurumo, even at the expense of his own life?

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2014
    Looking to be a good year. Tokyo Ghoul just started, and Parasyte is supposed to start airing around October. TG though I a tiny bit worried about pacing. It seems to be moving a little fast given that the manga isn't that far ahead and they've ear-marked 26 episodes which is more then enough to faithfully adapt every scene and they've already confirmed in the trailers that they're going at least as far as all currently released manga material. I'm a bit worried they might end up shoving it full of filler arcs (same studio that did Naruto and Bleach). (the only issue is that thus far both of the released legal streaming versions have been of the censored version which makes about as much sense as listening to a censored rap song).

Not sure who is doing Parasyte, but as long as they don't $%#^ it up, it'll be great.

I'm still hoping Baccano!'s 2nd season will get out of development hell. It was announced briefly back in October before Durarara!! season 2 switched animation studios and hasn't been mentioned since, so I'm hoping that the new studio is simply holding it and is going to do it once they've finished Durarara!!'s new season, though that means it likely won't be formally announced till the end of this year.

... (the only issue is that thus far both of the released legal streaming versions have been of the censored version which makes about as much sense as listening to a censored rap song).

This is generally the case with any simulcast title, as the companies are always sent the JP broadcast versions of series during simulcast, and then sent the JP BD/uncensored versions at a later time for DVD/BD release.

Though some recent FUNi occurrences where the broadcast versions were dubbed and released happen from time to time. That's usually due to the JP international sales company for that particular series had no idea about the uncensored versions.

• TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Not an Anime fan at all but i did watch Full metal alchemist brotherhood? in 2011 with my cuz who was an anime fan. My sis was really into it as well but not as much anymore. I think its the weird cartoon style that puts it off for me.