Skip to content

The Anime Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mornmagor
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Shandyr said:

My only problem is... at episode 17 that... there is now episode 18 yet. lol

18 came out yesterday.
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

[Deleted User]
  • renerakrenerak Member Posts: 17
    Here are my best (not in any particular order), which most may or may-no know. Hate tragedies so no matter how good the anime I still will hate it.

Anime Series:
    -Kare no kyou kai (prefer the light novel but anime is good too)
    -Baccano (one of the most entertaining anime ever)
    -My highschool youth romatic comedy is wrong as I expected / Oregairu (Has a very sensible protagonist)
    -Code Geass R1 & R2 (Greatest anime protagonist EVER)
    -Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (Greatest Story told in anime)
    -Black Lagoon (Kick Ass)
    -Bakemonogatari (prefer light novel but anime is alright)
    -Darker than Black (1st Season Only, was brilliant)

Anime Movies:
    -Castle in the sky (only kid protagonist which I like)
    -From Up the poppy hill
    -Howls moving castle
    -Porko Rosso

Manga:
    -Until Death Do Us Part (Best Fights EVER)
    -Ubell Blatt (Revernge was never this complex and brutal)
    -Last Game (Only Shoujo manga ever worth reading)
    -One punch man (OVERKILL)
    -Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (Manga ending better than anime)

Forgot most of the other mangas, read too many so too much mix up.

Watch Oreimo 2 OVAs on CrunchyRoll!

Just a reminder, the worldwide simulcast of the Season 2 OVAs starts tonight!

• DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2013
    See a lot of comments about old anime, but what about later releases?

Currently I'm really enjoying Blood Lad and the Hunter x Hunter reboot.

Also Shingeko No Kyojin is one of the most intense anime I ever watched, too bad it'll catch up to the manga relatively quick.

Kingdom is also pretty nice. With the two main protagonists walking seperate paths towards different goals, though still stay connected. One protagonists goes through a typical shounen plot, where the other one is tricking and plotting somewhat like Lelouche in Code Geass.

Also, as a honorable mention I'd like to say Kataganatari as series and Mononoke Hime as movie.

oh after writing all this I just found out that with Attack on Titan you mean Shingeko no Kyojin.
    JuliusBorisov
    Deefje said:

oh after writing all this I just found out that with Attack on Titan you mean Shingeko no Kyojin.

Yes, yes we do.
    Deefje said:

See a lot of comments about old anime, but what about later releases?

Let's see, for the Summer season I'm watching:

■ Stella Women’s Academy, High School Division Class C³
    ■ Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East Season 2
    ■ Dog & Scissors
    ■ Fantasista Doll
    ■ Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya
    ( or will be when it comes out of "delayed" status on The Anime Network )
    ■ KINMOZA!
    ■ WATAMOTE
    ■ Sunday Without God
    ■ il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion
    ■ Sunday Without God

Continuations

■ Attack on Titan
    ■ Oreimo 2 OVAs
    ( just finished those up on the 17th actually )
    ■ Majestic Prince

Speaking of Stella Women’s Academy, here's a cool AMV using Red Faction! (Black Lagoon's OP song)

• dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I'm not a huge fan of anime though there are some good series' out there such as:

Cowboy Bebop
    Monster
    Full Metal Alchemist (the 2002 series)
    Ergo Proxy
    Wolf's Rain

I would have included Gungrave, but Milka annoyed me so much that I just stopped watching.
    Bones + Shinichiro Watanabe = Elvis in space!

edited September 2013
    New footage of the 3rd Madoka movie!

Homura vs. Mami ?!?!?

OH YEAH, THIS IS GOING TO BE FLIPPIN' AMAZING!!!

Post edited by TheCoffeeGod on
    More new footage!

For those that enjoy Makoto Shinkai stuff...
    Nomura Real Estate's ProudChannel YouTube channel has uploaded and added English subtitles to his new short, 'Dareka no Manazashi' .

2nd Season of Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya Anime Green-lit

I'm pretty sure Sentai will pick this up since they snagged the first season, which is just awesome news (even though I have seen S1 yet).

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Watch Shingeki no Kyojin(Attack on Titan).

Watch it now.

• Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    edited September 2013
    my faovurate anime desite getting canceled and changing the ending of the manga (which is still going on and is SO COOL) and my other top 4

1. Claymore
    2. Elfen Lied
    3. Princess mononoke
    4. Avatar last airbender/ avatar legend of Korra (it's kind of an anime, it sure isnt a cartoon)
    5. rosario + vampire (this is kind of embarrassing but its so god damn funny)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    There's an anime question that has bugged me for many years. I would be extremely (pleasantly) surprised if somebody here can resolve it for me...

When I was a kid (6-8 years old), I remember being utterly obsessed with a (presumably) Japanese anime, or it may have been two animes that I mixed up in my head, I'm not 100% sure. I watched this in China (Chinese dubbed I guess), and when I came to the UK at 8 years old, I quickly picked up Power Rangers, and later Pokemon, and forgot all about my pre-UK obsessions.

Anyway this anime was being shown in China in 1996/7... it may have been new at the time (there were actions figures for it around, so I guess it musta been relatively new) or a re-run.

The key features were:
    1) It focused on big fighting robots, kinda like gundams, but the the designs were quite squat. The robots were about as wide as they were tall.
    2) The main protagonist's robot's primary weapon was a big sword, but his enemies probably used cannons and missiles.
    3) At one stage in the story, he visited a special region, and his robot picked up all sorts of temporary upgrades that made it all white.
    4) The robots were almost all controlled by somebody sitting in a capsule in their heads, which somehow everybody could effortlessly leap into at the start of a battle. I suspect this is a common feature of robot anime.
    5) This maybe from a different anime... but there was quite a lot of 'character development'. In the first episode the protagonist and his allies are attacked by just one generic 'bad robot', and it pretty much ruined all the good guys. I remember one of them being thrown into a volcano, which somehow ended up recharging him. Anyway the good guys dig in and prevail. Later on in the series these generic bots are basically cannon fodder for the good guys, whose main challenge comes in the form of enemy 'champion bots'.

I would be AMAZED if somebody has watched this anime from the 1990s and can finally help me put a name to it! lol

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2013
    @Heindrich1988 Can you remember anything what the robot might've looked like... Since "Big Sword" is not exactly the best way identify something...

And the first episode in any good series has quite a bit of character development due them needing to introduce the characters...

If nothing else, one thing that could possibly help limit searching is if you could remember was it a Real Robot or a Super Robot
    Post edited by Kaltzor on
    Actually the character development was over a number of episodes. The villain that took a team to take down in episode 1 was just a foot soldier level robot, which provided no challenge to the protagonists later on.

My 7 year old self didn't really appreciate the difference between technology and magic, so I can't say for certain. But if u pressed me to choose, I'd guess super robots.

Again although too young to really understand the plot, I think it was more of an adventure story as opposed to a military sci-fi like Legend of the Galactic Heroes (loved that!). I don't recall any massed organised warfare scenes.

I'm not at home this weekend so won't have access to a computer, but I'll try to draw a rough picture on Monday if we still haven't figured it out.

As I said the robots are distinct for being very squat, more of a dwarf shape than human proportions, they had big shoulder pads and at least the protagonist's machine had metallic straight wings (which doesn't help with flight if it obeyed the laws of physics.) Battles often took place in space, and usually featured a duel between the protagonist and an enemy champion. There was an overarching plot though, I just don't remember it.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, I got nothing... But I did run into these...

A bit over 2 hours of mecha anime openings from the 80s and 90s... Maybe you'll get lucky and see it somewhere there...
    Heindrich
    @Heindrich1988

I haven't actually seen it, but it kind of sounds like the pure white mecha from The Vision of Escaflowne, which would also place it about the right airing time as well.

Here's a couple of clips from YT I dug up.

OP

First fight

Heindrich
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    my sister is watching the 2nd season of Legend of Kora. does that count as anime? she also got the soundtrack. i think it's very good =)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2013
    Nah, Avatar is western. Though it is an example of western animation showing that it can be every bit as good as anime. (not my personal cup of tea, but several of my friends liked it).

Exo Squad was a favorite of mine back in the day, basically the western equivalent of Mobile Suit Gundam, except with mostly mini-mechas (step just above power-armor) instead of giant ones.

Gargoyles, Batman:TAS, Exo Squad, and Avatar being some of the best examples.

The early 90's X-men series also pretty well done, since each arc was based very closely to comic arcs, especially the dark phoenix arc which was so close they credited the comic writer for the script.
    edited September 2013
    @Kaltzor

OMG! You helped me find it! It's actually the very first song from the 1990s. Here's another video I found using the name from your video.

Haha it looks so much more childish than I remembered... I guess nothing looks childish to a 7 year old child. It also seems much more mythical than sci-fi compared to what I remember, but that's definitely it. Complete with a big mech that was 'fatter' than most other mech designs, with huge shoulder pads and wielding a big sword!

Oh yeah, now I think I may have mixed two different anime together. In all those videos I didn't see any of those enemy grunt mechs. Maybe that was something else entirely different, lol. Regardless this was definitely the first anime I was into as a kid. Thanks for helping me find it! I think it must be pretty obscure, I never came across ever since I came to the UK in 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashin_Hero_Wataru

Cultural impact

The anime series was a huge hit in Japan, later being imported into Taiwan and Mainland China. Chinese translations were provided. The show became one of the most famous Japanese anime shows in China during the mid-1990s. Even today, on popular Chinese websites like Baidu.com, one can still find very active forums discussing the show.

Ah... so that explains why I came across it in China and bought my first and (amazingly enough) only 'action figure' toy of my entire life.

Post edited by Heindrich on
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Ergo Proxy. I've seen it twice in the last 6 years (the recent one was almost 4 years ago) and I still have no idea what's going on. =(

Crunchyroll to Stream Fantasy Anime Beyond the Boundary

WooHoo!
    The one I was looking forward to the most this Fall season!

• StuckinMudStuckinMud Member Posts: 45
    1. Berserk (Manga still on-going)
    2. Berserk (Anime)
    3. Berserk (Current Movies)
    4. Black Lagoon (Hallelujah Peanut Butter)
    5. G.I.T.S (Everything Ghost in a Shell)

Watch Kill la Kill on CrunchyRoll

Ep. 01

Man, Imaishi is just one of those directors you either love or hate.
    All of his waaaay over-the-top stuff (like this) that I've seen, I've never really liked.

And this is sadly no exception.
    This is like Medaka Box on crack.

I'm kinda hoping it gets better later on in the season, as I really do want to like this one.

JuliusBorisov

Watch Beyond the Boundary on CrunchyRoll

Ep. 01

That was just such an awesome first episode!
    I'm just chomping at the bit for the next episode to find out what's going to happen next!

This is definitely going on my "to buy" list.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah, Baccano! is another good one, I just wish they hadn't stopped with just that. The actual series is pretty huge and the tiny bit in the anime is just a prelude, a mere 3-ish volumes out of around 20.

Defintely worth checking out, as a whole.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I just started watching record of lodoss war. I wonder what I'm letting myself into. Seems a bit D&D-like to me