Skip to content

The Anime Thread

Comments

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Teflon: I agree with @Bhaaldog! Who cares what other people think? It's YOUR life and YOUR happiness. I've learned that mirroring yourself too much to others only leads to more negativeness. It might be cheesy to say, but just be yourself. A lot of people like anime/manga, as this topic hopefully might have proven thus far, so you're definitely not alone! I never really had friends who were into manga/anime. I used to know some people from drawing school (my old hobby), but I got out of touch with them quite a long time ago... :/
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I don't think you should outright ignore anyone, though. It's always good to hear other people's opinions and weigh them in: sometimes they have an actual point.

But yes, liking cartoons or comics is nothing to be ashamed of.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud @Bhaaldog @Chow You got the point ;) Thats why I said "I don't care."
    I was just curious am I only one surrounded with ppl like them.
    Thanks anyway for sharing your thoughts, wish other ppl thinks like you guys and having open minded to others hobby or preferences hehe.
    But sad truth is some things never change :)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Trust me when I say there are tons of padded manga as well. I got *so* tired of Shaman King and just about every other fighting manga, when it became a "What ultimate move can I pull out of my butt this week?" contest. My favorite Anime (in no particular order) are as follows:

Ghost Hunt (the manga is pretty excellent, too)
    Fruits Basket
    Gensomaden Saiyuki
    Trigun
    Trinity Blood
    Cowboy Bebop
    Escaflowne
    Magic Knights Rayearth
    Gatchaman 1998
    Vampire Princess Miyu, both the TV series *and* the movies
    Fushigi Yugi
    Eat Man '98

Here's the opening to Saiyuki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMYvMVhkErg
    And here's the one for Ghost Hunt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHaxcnHRJoc
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Bhaaldog said:

Coriander said:

/me recommends Cat Soup.

Cat Soup?
    It's a movie about a cat that tries to save his sister. ^_^

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Cowboy Bebop is definitely my favourite.

Tho I also like Dragonball Z too. Pretty much opposite ends of the quality spectrum there!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Dragonball Z has all of the qualities of a bad shounen-esque show (long-ass battles that take up entire seasons, ridiculously high-powered characters, not-that-great-voice-acting, little to no depth), and yet it's a lot of peoples' favorite. It has that old-anime charm that a lot of the new shows don't have, and a lot of the fans grew up watching it. Not to mention that unique art style that, while it doesn't match my specific tastes, isn't seen anywhere else.

I like it because I find it campy, and the characters are hilarious. It's not one that I take seriously, but I do have fun watching it.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Nonnahswriter
    If by voice acting you mean Funimation dub then I'll agree.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I really like Inuyasha cuz it looks like a RPG campaign in a japanese setting. Also Cowboy Bebop and Space Adventure Cobra deserves a mention.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

Dragonball Z has all of the qualities of a bad shounen-esque show (long-ass battles that take up entire seasons, ridiculously high-powered characters, not-that-great-voice-acting, little to no depth), and yet it's a lot of peoples' favorite. It has that old-anime charm that a lot of the new shows don't have, and a lot of the fans grew up watching it. Not to mention that unique art style that, while it doesn't match my specific tastes, isn't seen anywhere else.

I like it because I find it campy, and the characters are hilarious. It's not one that I take seriously, but I do have fun watching it.

I'd recommend checking out the comic, which is actually pretty good for real. Not great, but good, enjoyable without nostalgia goggles or camp bonus.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Haven't watched a lot of anime but I did like tower of druaga, record of lodoss war, bubble gum crisis, and soul eater. Finished watching red garden with my sister a few weeks ago. That was interesting. Those Miyazaki films are pretty cool too. I think they have a game out based on his style of anime or some such.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    There are quite a few anime which I enjoy greatly. Some of my most beloved anime are the Seikai Trilogy (Crest of the Stars & Banners of the Stars), Seto no Hanayome, The Third - Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo, Level E, Mahou Senshi Louie, MAZE, Kurau, Gokudo, Sunabouzu, Dragon Half, Gintama, as well as the the rather new Thermae Romae, Shinsekai Yori and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha to name but a few.

Never liked any of those endless, shounen battle shows however.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618

I received my TAN contest prize winnings today! ( The Contest winners announcement )

Looks like I got an H.O.T.D. Tote Bag with a bunch of other H.O.T.D. swag stuffed inside.

List

● H.O.T.D. Tote Bag
    ● H.O.T.D. T-Shirt
    ● H.O.T.D. Keychain
    ● H.O.T.D. Patch
    ● H.O.T.D. Adjustable Snap Leather Bracelet

Here's a pic of the stuff.

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @TheCoffeeGod: I have no clue what H.OT.D. actually is, but it's still neat that you won a prize! Hope you're happy with your stuff. And now I demand a free round of coffee for everyone to celebrate! (except for me, I'd prefer a hot chocolate instead) :p

I have no clue what H.OT.D. actually is...

High School of the Dead ( Watch H.O.T.D. on TAN Online )

It's an anime about a zombie apocalypse and follows these Japanese high school students as they try to escape it.

• ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I'm quite the avid anime-buff meself. Here's my AP-sig:
    Zanian's anime, manga, reviews, recommendations, blogs and lists at Anime-Planet
    I was waiting to see if the July solicitations would pop up before the sale ended, but it looks like it won't.
    So I just put in my Sentai TRSI sale order.
    ● Amagami SS+ Complete Collection
    ● Bodacious Space Pirates Collection 01 (BD)
    ● Bodacious Space Pirates Collection 02 (BD)
    ● Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Complete Collection (BD)
    ( pre-order June 4 2013 )
    ● Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere Season 01 Collection (BD)
    ● Inu X Boku Secret Service Complete Collection (BD)
    ● Kamisama Dolls Complete Collection (BD)
    ● Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion (Director's Cut BD)
    ● Mysterious Girlfriend X Complete Collection (BD)
    ( pre-order June 11 2013 )
    ● Phi-Brain ~ The Puzzle of God Season 01 Collection 01 (BD)
    ● Phi-Brain ~ The Puzzle of God Season 01 Collection 02 (BD)
    ( pre-order May 28 2013 )

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I don't watch anime...it consumes so much time. But I read some manga, as I may do that once a week and would only take me 10 minutes or so to read all that the manga I follow: One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto. They're pretty famous here. I've gotten to like manhwa (I believe that's how the Koreans call it) recently...Killer Stall and Magician are the ones I read; they're fully-colored and have stories that are easy to get hooked on.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I've been watching a lot of Dragonball Z Abridged lately, does that count?

http://teamfourstar.com/shows/dbz-abridged/dbz-abridged-episode-1-the-return-of-raditz-wait/

If you've ever watched a single episode of Dragonball Z, take 10 minutes to watch this. You won't regret it.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Most of the stuff on these lists doesn't do justice to the original Japanimation classics. :P Call me an old git, but I've seen clips of some of these newer ones, and, well, pffft.

Ones I have seen:
    FLCL
    Azumanga Daioh
    Elfen Lied
    Patlabor
    Akira
    Roujin Z
    Urotsukidoji
    Macross Plus
    Star Blazers
    Ulysses 31
    Rei Rei
    The Gigolo
    Landlock
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away
    Dirty Pair Flash
    Outlaw Star
    Cowboy Bebop
    Perfect Blue
    Paprika
    Ghost in the Shell (original and SAC)

There's some more that i can't recall right now.
    I think one of the problems with the stuff today is that western demand for 'anime' (never liked that word) means we now see a lot more of the mediocre stuff Japan makes, as well as its gems. Yes, Japan can make bad cartoons, just like the west. I wonder if they ever saw 'Captain Planet'?:D
    Drugar said:

http://teamfourstar.com/shows/dbz-abridged/dbz-abridged-episode-1-the-return-of-raditz-wait/

If you've ever watched a single episode of Dragonball Z, take 10 minutes to watch this. You won't regret it.

Haven't seen much of the Dragonball Z Abridged (except the movies, which are downright hilarious)... But Yugioh! Abridged changed my life. XD

http://yugiohabridged.com/page-episodes-reverse

A friend of ours showed us the first couple episodes, and then we had an unexpected marathon that same day. Our life is now filled with Yugioh! Abridged jokes and references.
  • I have a hard time keeping track of all the anime I've seen and loved, but here's a brief cross-section:

Digimon (especially Tamers)
    Ergo Proxy
    Azumanga Daioh
    Cowboy Bebop
    Princess Tutu (loved it so much I got the DVD box)
    Ghost in the Shell
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica (just saw this recently, but fell in love immediately; reminds me of a story I read online once called "Sailor Nothing")
    Ronin Warriors
    Anything directed by Satoshi Kon (but especially Paranoia Agent)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Drugar said:

Pecking order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Bhaaldog said:

Drugar said:

Pecking order.
    The way they rewrote the Ginyu force fight was hilarious
    I love Super Kami Guru, I watched it with some friends and now whenever we need someone to do something we just point at him and go "Naaaaaaaaaaaail. Get me something to drink."

Also, Vegeta is brilliant because he's basicly unchanged from the original, just constantly surrounded by even bigger idiots than usual.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    edited March 2013
    Wow you guys know lots of cool anime!
    I think no one talked about Slam Dunk yet, IMO it is one of the best anime EVER.
    It's about friendship and growing up, it's about finding something you love (in this case, sport) and it's about how a sport, and a team, can change you and make you a better person. I watched this anime growing up and I still love it now <3. Oh and also, it's hilarious XD
    Post edited by Sophia on
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Watching vanilla DBZ (the english dubs that is) is hilarious enough on it's own and need not be parodied.

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!1