Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• KoChangKoChang Member Posts: 5
    I am running the latest version of EEKeeper. I tested it out on a new game and was able to make changes to my character. However, after logging out of the game and coming back into it, the C:\...\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder is empty, except for the newly created baldur.ini file. I searched my pc and the files are no where to be found. Any ideas on the cause?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Sjerrie, as a quick-fix, this is what I did:

When you insert the kit abilities it adds all the items to the Innate tab, as it did before, but now it actually saves the information as it should. When you save the edited game and reload it into Keeper, all the abilities that are not Innate abilities will then appear in the appropriate tab. Note that you can do any editing you wish in the Innate tab prior to saving. This is a quick-fix, and I may do more to get the spells into the appropriate tabs prior to releasing this next version.

I've also implemented @CrevsDaak‌'s idea for searching via resource name, though only for spells and items so far. I'll have to change quite a bit around to do the same for creatures.

@KoChang, if you open up Keeper, can you still see the saved games? If so, then you may be looking in the wrong directory for the game you want. Otherwise, I can't help you there. Keeper only deletes items you specify. A number of people have made mention about the game deleting quick saves, but I have never encountered that issue myself.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80‌ Thank you! I'm a happy werepandaspiderslime (only you have the weretroodon part) now :D Looks like this update will get much cool stuff!!
  • emssmiley2002emssmiley2002 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2014
    Ok I downloaded EEKeeper, put the correct folder destinations in the correct boxes. I run the .exe and I get this:

Save game editor for Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition. Has stopped working. Windows can check check online for a problem. It gives 2 arrows 1.) check online for a solution and close the program and 2.) Close the program

Im running Win7 HP and all my drivers are up to date and all Windows updates as well.

This is the "View Problems Detail" box:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: EEKeeper.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.2.3
    Application Timestamp: 52e43671
    Fault Module Name: EEKeeper.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.0.2.3
    Fault Module Timestamp: 52e43671
    Exception Offset: 0016f4ea
    Exception Code: c0000417
    Exception Data: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 5534
    Additional Information 2: 55343b37ade4f28acd456834da271f7f
    Additional Information 3: cc73
    Additional Information 4: cc73c11059a49117dabbe3f0ddaa9924
    edited March 2014
    @emssmiley2002, that sounds like a buffer overflow. Does it crash immediately when you start, or does the Indexing Resources progress bar appear (please see attached image for example)? The most likely place a crash will occur is during the loading. If the progress bar is working, where exactly does the crash occur?

If it is crashing immediately, then it could be a Data Execution Prevention (DEP) issue.
    It crashes while the Index Resources progress bar is loading
    @emssmiley2002, approximately where in its journey is it happening? The progress bar resets to 0 when it starts to load BAM resources, so you will also need to state whether it is during the first part of the loading or the second part, as well as how far along the bar is. That way I can get a good idea what it's having trouble with at the time of the crash (I'm not currently at the desk, so I can't look up the fault address).

Also worth asking, are you using any mods?
    edited March 2014
    the bar loads approximately 1/2. It then goes back to the beginning and gets about 1/4 of the way loaded then the stopped working message appears.
    I am not using any mods. Ill check back tomorrow gotta get some sleep for work. Thanks for the help
    edited March 2014
    @emssmiley2002, I'll need you to try a testing version I use to see if we can narrow down the problem. I'll send you a private message shortly with instructions.

In the meantime, I have another update. I've implemented a long-overdue feature for language selection. It's the little things that count, and makes it that little bit more user friendly. Note that the language available in BG2:EE is English (US), so trying to load the resources for anything other than that will result in an error the same as previous versions. If a language is implemented into the game that is not on the list, then it is possible to enter either the name of the language or its folder (e.g. Română or lang\ro_RO\). I've based the lookup table on the language names that are shown on the forum. That means if a user tries to enter something like 'Romana', it will not work. Entering lang\xx_XX\ is still the best way if the user cannot enter the actual name. Folder names can be found in the \lang\ folder belonging to the appropriate game. They follow the same basic naming system as show here.

Edit: and I just realised that čeština is displayed as ceština. Clever me. I'll need to re-add those strings to the RC file.

• RMJRMJ Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem as emssmiley2002, at the same place. I'm running 64bit Windows 7 and my BGEE installation is the Steam version. Steam is on a different drive (D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\) than my save files, which are on my OS (C:) drive. Any help is much appreciated.
    @RMJ, if you are using v1.0.2.3 and not using any mods, then (for now, at least) my only advice is to try an earlier version of Keeper (v1.0.2.1). Please note the items in the change log in the second post that were fixed so that you might avoid any mishap when editing. @emssmiley2002's issue was directly related to an early game version where the kit string for Barbarian was this:

I posted about this over a year ago. Because that string is more than 100 characters long in total, you get a buffer overflow. This will be re-addressed in v1.0.2.4.

I addressed this back when I first implemented the code to scan the needed files, but removed it again once the game had been updated (it seemed redundant to keep it). It seems that, in some instances, this table was not updated. Since you are using Steam, could you try verifying the games' local content/cache? This is working fine for me (I implemented all this around a completely unmodified retail version). If verifying the game content works, great. If not, then you can try using a previous version of Keeper.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm not running any mods and cache integrity tested good. During the week I'm away from home and I use my 2nd system where I'm staying. I'll try my other system when I get home Friday night and see if there's a difference. They both have 64 bit Win 7, and the same video card, but other hardware is different, and sometimes I get a program that works on one and not on the other. If I get a similar result I'll try v1.0.2.1. Thanks again!
    Meh, patience is not always one of my virtues. I tried v1.0.2.1 on this machine and it loads up just fine. Thanks!
    So, I tried it on my PC at home and v1.0.2.3 works flawlessly. Obviously something on my other system is causing the problem. Fortunately v1.0.2.1 works on that system.
    @RMJ, that is the very strange. Question: does the other system, the one where you need to use 1.0.2.1, have an override folder in the games' installation directory?
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Troodon80 - First off let me thank you and the others for the work put into this. It is a great tool and I use it all the time.

I would like to mention a usability concern or enhancement request. Not sure how much demand there is for this, but I would like to be able to maintain 2 different "installs" of EEKeeper with 2 different installation directories set.

I'm currently running a vanilla (well BG:EE vanilla) game as well as an SCS game. I created 2 copies of the EEKeeper directory thinking I could set the installation path differently for each one. That way I would not have to remember to change the install directory each time I used it depending on the game I was playing.

If that isn't possible, then some easier way to switch between my 2 installation paths would be nice. Browsing for the folder each time can be tedious :)
    edited April 2014
    @SirK8‌, you make a good point, and I have fallen foul of that same problem myself. All the settings are stored in the system registry, as is standard these days for Windows applications. That means the program can be located anywhere on your computer and still have access to the saved settings. I can try moving at least some of that to an INI file instead. That will unfortunately mean that settings will need to be set all over again for everyone else, though. I'll see what I can do about not inconveniencing too many people in the process.

It may need to wait until after the current planned version (which is taking a little longer than expected due to lack of time, it's that same lack of time that made me decide on a new direction; I'll talk more about that once there is something worth talking about). It's a simple enough task, but there are priorities. :-)
    As per @SirK8's suggestion of different settings for different instances of Keeper, it now uses an INI configuration file.

The basic layout is as follows:

[Settings] BGEE Install Path = E:\Program Files\BeamDog\Games\00766\ BG2EE Install Path = E:\Program Files\BeamDog\Games\00783\ Language = lang\en_US\ Custom Save Dir = Y:\files\save\ Use Custom Save Dir = false Load BGEE = true Load BG2EE = false Use Known Spell Limit = true Use Mem Spell Limit = true Known Spell Limit = 20 Mem Spell Limit = 12 Mem Spells On Save = true Disable Spell Icons = false Default Open Single = true Use Grid Lines = false Display Extra Creature Info = false Ignore Data Versions = false Allow Quicksave Editing = true [Allow Overwrite] CHR = false CRE = false* The above-listed is subject to change and is only currently a demo.

Upon launching for the first time, this next version retrieves the previously stored settings from the registry and saves immediately to a file called 'eekeeper.ini' (created in the current Keeper directory) for future use, hopefully being seamless for those already using it. Thereafter, it will no longer save its settings to the registry (MFC stuff will still be stored, however, nothing much I can do about that). If a user makes a habit of clearing the contents of a given folder to make way for a new version, the previously held settings will be lost and the installation directory, language, etc., will need to be set again. Registry entries will not be removed unless done so manually, so if a user happens to delete the configuration file it will pull the settings from the registry again.

It means that each copy of Keeper will have its own independent settings. This could be a blessing or a curse, though, so I'll see what the feedback is like. People not already familiar with how Keeper works might be left wondering what's going on when they create a different directory for a new version. One thing that will become easier for me when it comes to troubleshooting is the ability to request that a user copy and paste the contents of their configuration file. The configuration file can also be modified once it has been created, which might also make things quicker to troubleshoot and fix.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80‌ I gladly accept this change, it's great for Beta Testers since you have 2 versions of each game, which is pretty bothering, since if you want to look at one copy you'll have to be messing with the Directory changes all the time.
    Plus you should set all the user friendly options On so people that use it trivially don't need to be changing values on the INI file ;)
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    edited April 2014
    These recent posts are a godsend. Now I can play as a Monk with spell capabilities!
    Troodon80 said:

@RMJ, that is the very strange. Question: does the other system, the one where you need to use 1.0.2.1, have an override folder in the games' installation directory?

No override folder on either machine.

I would definitely like to try out the new beta.
  • Stormweaver1983Stormweaver1983 Member Posts: 13
    So I have a question for you guys. I'm wanting to use EE Keeper on my Android saved games. I have access to a PC and can move the saved game files to it, but that PC doesn't have a copy of BG:EE on it. Is there a way to use Keeper without buying BG:EE for the PC? Maybe somewhere I can download the necessary files?
    edited April 2014
    @Stormweaver1983, I'm not sure about the overall file structure on Android, but I suppose you could extract the required files (from the OBB files) from the Android version using something like WinRAR? It would be similar to iPad users who are able to use it the files extracted. The OBB format is basically just a Zip format, so it should be pretty easy. You won't be able to play it on PC, obviously, since it lacks a Windows executable. Once extracted to a Mac or Windows PC, Keeper should be able to read the files.

I'll give it a go and see what the outcome is. Edit: it appears to work okay.
    Yep, I just managed it as well. My only problem now is that EE Keeper doesn't seem to want to recognize the saved game file. Does it need a particular name or location?
    Finally got it working. Looking good so far!
    @Stormweaver1983, the saved games are found in the data\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\files\ directory. Since you cannot edit the files direct, you will need to copy the save game folder to a location on your PC.

Here's an example of what I tried:
    1. Set up the file structure on my Windows PC (folder location is E:\Android - BGEE\) by copying the OBB files and extracting their contents.
    2. Copy the \save\ folder from the ..\files\ directory to the aforementioned Android - BGEE folder.
    3. Launch Keeper and set the installation path for BG:EE to E:\Android - BGEE\ and set language to en_US (or just 'English' in my case).
    4. Go to the Open Save Game dialog and set the custom saved game location to E:\Android - BGEE\save\, then check the box labelled 'Use Custom Save Directory.' Once you check the box, it should display the saved games.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I'm having difficulty adding innate abilities to CHARNAME. If I add a kit everything works ok, but if I just try to add a spell as an innate ability it's not working or sometimes it works but my class innate ability won't work, or they both show up but only the class ability will work. It's been pretty inconsistent. I saw a few older posts related to this issue, do you know if this was ever addressed? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong here.
    @SirK8, can you give me a step by step walk-through of what you are doing? What spell are you trying to add and to what tab, etc.?

There was a problem adding Innate abilities previously, where things like Cleric spells were being added as Innate abilities. This should be resolved in 1.0.2.4 (currently unreleased). Adding spells normally should bring you to the appropriate tab, and if it is not then I need to know what spell is giving you the problem so I can try it out myself.