Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

Comments

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @Lediath, you sounds so angry that you can crush a cookie :O)
    And i like it !!!
    :O)
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    @lordkim the post above me sounds so angry that he could crush ME! =P
    Hahaha, hadnt seen it.. just read the last one :P
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    I downloaded a game called Majesty off GamersGate, no DRM, I keep it forever, $10. This was the only place to get it, aside from Mr Valve.

Now if I got it from Steam, who knows what I'd have to do for it to play nice.

The choice isn't extremely difficult.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    #backontopic IMO the only upside to having BGEE on steam as well as Beamdog is to drive traffic. There is no question that steam is a monolith in the digital distribution business. If BGEE got some front page time on steam, it would generate a ton of traffic for Beamdog and baldursgate.com.

As much as I hate to say it, I DO think that it is actually a smart move.
    But, I will never be dissuaded from purchasing any game because of a lack of steam integration.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    lordkim said:

How difficult is it to spread the word that it actually can be bought at Beamdog ????

@lordkim : we kidnap Sean Connery and make him tell the world about it! :D

OR... we hope for as many famous youtubers to do great publicity about it! I bet it would give the game plenty more sales if people like Total Biscuit tried it out, or other Let's Players simply play it (god please, all but Tobuscus and PewDiePie XD)

• powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    edited July 2012
    @Nugatory it's not the sale issue, it's the contract thingy.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Asking as an oldschool gamer who bought his games on floppies/CDs/DVDs in the past:
    what is so special about Steam that it's so important to get it from there?

Because you have to appeal to the steam fanboys.
    Meh, people always complained. Didn't people complain about Steam, Origin, and other programs? They complain now about Beamdog. But if BGEE will be as good as I expect, people will eventually shut up and try it out, start like Beamdog and everything will return to its cycle.

People get used to a tool and once a new one comes out and they're forced to use it, they'll complain. Human nature I guess, if a bit ignorant down behind. I don't mind Beamdog, especially since 100% money goes to people that really are related to the product.
    @Cheesebelly they shouldn't complain about Beamdog, because you won't need a program, for me it's better than Steam, because when update happens and you don't have access to the internet you can't play in offline mode.
    @powerfulally : I know, the client is not needed. But people apparently don't see that point as relevant at all.

I like Steam, won't lie on the subject, but it is also very flawed. The thing you said there, about offline mode, is an excellent point to look at its flaws :)
    @Cheesebelly I like it for insane sales, but it has its drawbacks and I'd like to play BG while travelling with my laptop and it would suck to see "steam cannot launch in offline mode".
    @powerfulally : Yeah, that would be kind of a blow. I intend to bring my old 6 disc pack with me when I go to a resort hotel next week. And I am not afraid to do so! No offline mode impossibility will ever bug me!

As for when BGEE comes out, well, that's gonna be even better XD
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2012
    I think it is more of a point of practicality for most people, myself included, as I have purchased a good 90%, at least but it may be higher, of the digital games that I own through steam and I have hundreds of them. I use gog because they put effort into reprogramming a game to make sure it will work on current OS for their older titles and I only use Origin because I love BioWare just that much, but most of us really do not want to add a fourth or fifth service to our catalog of digital game stores. Especially if it is from some company most have never even heard of prior to this game announcement. I would buy this game day one if it was on steam, gog, or maybe even origin, but I am not too comfortable using a really small service that I will buy nothing else from just for one game. Good as this Enhanced version sounds, I do not think Baldur's Gate will be a game that makes people want to try their luck with a new distribution service.

That being said I think what most people will do, if their anything like me, is buy it from Beamdog and possibly re-buy when and if it comes out on the platform of your choice. I would like to know if it coming out on steam or any other service such as gog or origin is even in the cards at all?
    edited July 2012
    @rosestorm you get exe with game, just like on gog. Is it bad? No client.
    edited July 2012
    No, it is not a bad thing at all, like I mentioned I think the hang up that most people face is having to add another account to their roster, and from a company that most have never even heard of prior to this game.

As for why I love steam, the two things I love about it are the way it handles patches and dlc. The auto-patch function is something that I love and the seamless integration of dlc, minus those few games that use GFWL for whatever ungodly reason.

All that being said, I'll still more than likely end up buying this game from Beamdog as it is just that good of an RPG, my only hangup with it other than its release platform is that it is still using the old dnd rule set.
    @rosestorm auto updates will also work also here, the launcher does it for you. Buying DLCs shouldn't be problem as well.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I'am sure Beamdog knows that steam is important but they do have to have this exclusive... it's understandable. My only request would be that upon steam release (later) those who pre-order get a steam key.
    If enough people ask maybe we'll get a steam release...
    There are thousands of reasons to want steam really... none of them might look important. If you want 1 then I can point you to the overlay and chat, in which all your friends are. You can still add it as a non-steam game... but idk... it's ugly, today being on steam is the best choice for any game.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited July 2012
    Back then peoples waited impatiently in the morning before a games shop opened their doors and now a days they nag about digital services... First they dont want to use their legs anymore and now no time to register anymore for a game?

I´m feeling very old now...
  • roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42

@roboticsun I'm just curious: why can't you buy it from Beamdog?

the website asked me for a credit card and I do not want my credit card number floating around the internet. I do aware that I could use Paypal, but it is also inconvenient to use in my country. Steam on the other hand supports many other payment options (including the currency and payment service used in my country).

• MaxbuuMaxbuu Member Posts: 11
    I like to have all my digital games in a single plataform, like Steam. Its easier to organize and to interact with the community. I also got Origin, because of EA games like ME3,BF3 and FIFA. I would appreciate if Baldur Gates Enhanced on Steam. I am going to buy it for iPad for a while, when it gets to steam I buy again. =)
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    When I was a kid, we had t' play Baldur's Gate with REAL swords in the backyard, and when we got killed, we couldn't go back to some fancy-shmancy save point. We just got dead! Ya dang kids don't know how good ya gots it. #oldcootmode
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@roboticsun I'm just curious: why can't you buy it from Beamdog?

the website asked me for a credit card and I do not want my credit card number floating around the internet. I do aware that I could use Paypal, but it is also inconvenient to use in my country. Steam on the other hand supports many other payment options (including the currency and payment service used in my country).

Sounds like if you want to buy this game you are going to have to use paypal then... I don't see this being added to steam any time soon.
  • ArndasArndas Member Posts: 42
    Well being in my teens now, I don't have the ability to play games like this with friends of mine. Other kids these days are addicted to playing games like CoD and The Elder Scrolls. I took an interest in Baldur's Gate from playing AD&D with my dad and his friends. Oh well, maybe some day these types of games will be more appreciated. #Bobby_Singer
    edited July 2012
    @roboticsun
    Well you can send me the money on a banktransfer, and i will ordered for you then. ;)

Back then peoples waited impatiently in the morning before a games shop opened their doors and now a days they nag about digital services... First they dont want to use their legs anymore and now no time to register anymore for a game?

I´m feeling very old now...

It should be noted that 95% of PC games do not get physical releases anymore.
  • RasmusRasmus Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2012
    Hi. I am one of those who generally don't play games that are not sold via steam because of its convenience and cross-plattform support. Admittedly, I will buy BG anyway, but since you also release it for OSX etc. it seems awfully logical to release the whole shebang on steam.

I guess you guys have thought well and hard on this, but I suggest it none the less ;)
    edited July 2012
    Search the forum for same threads.....
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/search?Search=Steam
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    I understand why people buy on Steam. I won't buy anything from them because of their DRM. I really wish this game was on GOG. I'll buy it from Beamdog and swallow their very light DRM because I do end up with an .EXE file that I can store locally and OWN. But I do like to support GOG or the Humble Bundle organization with all of my purchases.

What I don't understand is buying ONLY on Steam. Is autopatching, walled garden organization, and some achievements really worth ignoring all other sales channels regardless of selection? You already compromise your ownership accepting their DRM. Why compromise your choice of games too?

And I don't understand the issue "adding another site to my roster." I've never bought anything from Beamdog before and I may never again (unless of course a Baldurs Gate 2 EE is released!) But I have no problem buying this game from them. I can't see how it will affect me one way or another in the future. What am I missing?
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I would love to have it on Steam as well but For now it's a Beamdog exclusive though the developers hint that there may be a slight possibility of a steam release sometime in the future. Wouldn't count on it, though.