Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

Comments

• ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    If BGEE needs to be released on Steam, it will eventually find its way there. If it turns out that sales from the Beamdog site are not meeting expectations, I would imagine that the company wouldn't take very long to branch out.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @ScarsUnseen agreed. though i really hope the community will be able to provide enough support for bg:ee to stay as it is- a clean, user friendly exe file.

i hope they have prepared good marketing campaign.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Steam is evil. I don't like companies spying on me.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I fully respect that some people don't want platforms like steam. But remember that there will always be the "DRM free" BGEE from beamdog, the "steam edition" would be completly optional for those who like steam. which btw I wouln't say it spies on you, it keeps track of achivements and time played...
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    Treyolen said:

I can't see how it will affect me one way or another in the future. What am I missing?

Obsessive compulsive disorder? ;-)
  • SandorienSandorien Member Posts: 1
    The Rason i wont be buying if its not on steam is simply ive lost track of all my non steam games to the point of re buying on steam. For me its just easier I like to keep all my dvds in the same book case and all my games in same platform it has nothing to do with one sucking
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    Sandorien said:

For me its just easier I like to keep all my dvds in the same book case and all my games in same platform it has nothing to do with one sucking

Here Here, though I have pre-ordered this from BD as it doesn't look like we're going to get a steam release for a long while if ever.
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    I do understand the idea of convenience. I guess I spend too much time at sites where there is a deep sense of mono paranoia. When Windows dominated every other OS Microsoft abused the market with backroom deals. When Nintendo dominated they abused the market with excessive licensing and fees. When Intel dominated they abused the market with four figure prices for mediocre advances. The list goes on and on.

I'm sure the saints at Valve would never abuse a dominant position. But since they already use DRM I don't see the point in giving them a chance in exchange for a minor boost in convenience. I was wondering if there was something I was missing. I don't think there is anything.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    We are encouraging monopolies... for convenience? What about entrepreneurs? Shouldn't Beamdog have the chance to sell their product on their client?

Personally if I was told how to sell my own product, I would rather not sell it at all. These guys are breathing new life into a treasure of a game, which may or may not be profitable, and have to read about people complaining about having to buy it from them. What the eff david blaine
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    Mdk 2 hd (which is a beamdog rework, much like bgee) will be released on steam today, so that would point to an ultimate steam release. Took a while though before it came onto steam, so don't go waiting eagerly. Maybe in a half a year or so, but can't say.
    @Razor- i see any tracking of information without my full consent as a spying. i realize i am being spied upon constantly in this way, but the less the better.

besides,people are speaking against steam also because buying from beamdog means, developers get ALL the money. on steam, steam gets part of the profit. reason good enough for me.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    edited July 2012
    trinit said:

i see any tracking of information without my full consent as a spying.

I'm almost certain that Valve informs you of all their tracking and monitoring stuff when you start to use their service, especially when you purchase something on Steam. If they didn't they'd have a ton of class action lawsuits.

When you click agree on the end user agreement or whatev they give you, you are fully consenting to their service which includes the "spying".

edited July 2012
    @trinit I know that, I follow most of the indies releases... "buy from the developer because they get more %" Is very correct but ultimately if its not on steam several thousands will not buy it.
    What many indies do is provide a steam key when we buy directly from them as I sugested already.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I hope it gets on GOG too...
    Delvon said:

Mdk 2 hd (which is a beamdog rework, much like bgee) will be released on steam today, so that would point to an ultimate steam release. Took a while though before it came onto steam, so don't go waiting eagerly. Maybe in a half a year or so, but can't say.

Ah I was waiting for that to happen with MDK2 HD, makes total sense! many people want their games on steam.
    I would love to know how sales behave with mdk2, 2-3months after release on steam.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    Merged all 4 topics asking for a Steam release.
    edited July 2012
    @Lediath i knew someone's going to bring that up. so yes, they have legal means to do it and they put it in license agreement that is usually not very consumer friendly (after all, you are FORCED to agree with it in it's entirety to use the product).

so, they kindly informed me of their legal spying and i was forced to accept it and am aware of it. is this okay now? not a chance in hell.
    i'm "agreeing" to various licence agreements every day all the time, simply by touching anything in a supermarket. i hope nobody will suggest i move to some cave and eat dust and raindrops, because that is childish answer to social reality that simply does not function that way. again, does that make it okay? no.
    Konabuga said:

I remember back when people disliked Steam. They just wouldn't buy a game if it reguired Steam. How times change.

I was one of them! Times change but more importantly Steam changed, adapted to customers and right now is unstopable.
    @Razor, sounds like a bad news... ;D
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    @drej163 I liked the video.. "It is just because how utterly irrational people are when talking about steam, its just absurd"

I never used steam, I am not a big gamer either, but to think that you dont actually buy a game but only loan it sounds bad to me. Its look like more than a prison than a service... given that you bought enough games from them, you are becoming their Captive Costumer.

and not buying a potential great game because its not on steam ( specially when you can download it and go offline without any client ) - its just like saying I prefer to loan the game rather than own the game, at the same price. looking from the side, it seems just an irrational decision, as far as irrational goes.
    @trinit But really, if you talk about Origin then yes it spies on you personaly, Steam takes general data to make graphs. Thing is ANY game or launcher out there can do this spying... in the end what we must consider is the respect that companies have/not for us
    @trinit I also dislike that a large portion of my library is on Steam. But to claimed that it's forced upon me is incorrect IMO. Valve is not forcing me to do anything, its my choice to buy their products that are steam exclusive, its my choice that I buy games on steam during their summer sales, its my choice to not be able to play my games when the steam servers are down.

I choose to get games from almost any other service rather than steam when I can (Witcher 2), however there are so many games that require steam now days, my choices of other retailers are becoming more limited (GO AMAZON GO! hehe). I choose to accept the inconveniences and "spying" of Steam because Valve provides a decent service (steam cloud, friend list, voice chat, achievements etc) and good prices.

I CHOOSE to use it because its the most convenient to me at the current time.

NOTE: This doesn't apply to some posters being annoyed that their game was patched INTO steam, THAT I can understand as being forced.

Also, lets not get into an argument over moralities/legalities of Steam on the BGEE forums.

#backontopic
    I state again, BGEE should be on steam for no other reason than to bring traffic for the game.
    I will be buying the iPad version when it hits itunes.
    @Lediath well in my opinion what you describe is closer to an illusion of choice or submission, perhaps even manipulation to some extent, but anything than real choice. i know it sounds dramatic but i think it is absurd to claim freedom of choice in environment that bends and limits you on every possible step.

i bet you cannot claim full responsibility for 90% of choices you make on daily basis. or are you fully aware of all the consequences you could suffer and are willing to accept them despite being manipulated into ignorance?

ok ok, sorry for preaching. if it's not obvious enough i slightly dislike big powerful companies. that's all.
    @trinit I don't consider myself ignorant about the choices I make. I am fully aware of how my choices affect my freedoms. Regarding Steam, I am conforming to a set of guidelines that provides me with more convenience for a bit of user tracking and "feeding the machine"ism, just like when I bought Windows 7, my iPad and became an employee.

Depending on your definition of "full responsibility", you're probably right about the 90%, although can any of us make such a claim? Like you said, we don't live in caves ;)
    As for big powerful companies, I think they have their place in the world.

Again, lets not derail this thread anymore... *hand wave*
    If you'd like to continue this discussion feel free to PM me, otherwise lets make sure what we discuss is relevant to BGEE :)

#backontopic
    @Lediath- it's okay, i accept the answer even if i'm still skeptical to some extent. we will not solve anything substantial anyway going further with this, but it has been an interesting discussion. :)

anyway, #backontopic
  • RasmusRasmus Member Posts: 16
    lordkim said:

1.Im curious of why it should be on steam. ??

2.Howcome its better that the people that made this EE isnt selling it ?

3.Why need a 2nd or 3rd part to sell this game ?

4.Why is it inconvenient to purchase from beamdog ?

1. Because steam is extremely convenient, since i dont have to know if i will us windows or osx five years from now, because i know where i have all my games (most of my dvd games are lost over time to some weird beast) and because i only need to use one client instead of 100 for all the small publishers i will only buy 1-2 games from.

2. See above. The product is not only the first install, it is the certaimty you can play it in the future, when you chamge os, when you have 3 devices and that it is integrated in a larger robust system.

3. See 1.

4. See 1.
  • meuheymeuhey Member Posts: 4

Steam is evil. I don't like companies spying on me.

You should be more scared about facebook and google than valve bro.

@Rasmus You don't need to know if you'll use Windows or OSX because you've committed to Steam. All you've done is traded commitments. This doesn't offer any certainty at all. It is likely, but not certain. What if EA buys Valve and changes things like they do everywhere else? It's very doubtful that this would happen, but not certain. I never thought Bioware would ever be consumed :( I feel much better about OWNING a copy of the software on one OS than borrowing/renting a copy that works on two.

I do think that in the near future a Steam version should and will be offered for the exposure that Steam offers. But there is no reason to do that until the existing market has been satisfied. I also hope GOG gets a crack at this and will buy it again there as a sign of support.
    @meuhey I agree that Facebook and Google are bigger threats. But that doesn't make Valve less of a threat. And I find it amusing that so many on here say with certainty what Valve is or is not doing with the access they gain on the same day that Ubisoft is found to be installing rootkits. No one has any idea what Steam is installing unless it went open source recently. I don't think it did so you are just relying on their word for your security. I don't think Valve is spying. But I don't like the trend they represent.