Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

Comments

• NarvallusNarvallus Member Posts: 2
    You do not seem to understand. It's not that I do not want to encourage small sites, it's just that all my games are on steam and it's much easier to access. I do not know how many games I would never have bought if it was not for Steam. I ask this for developers because I find it completely stupid not to put the game on Steam. They will miss tens of thousands of sales if they do not put BG on this platform. I had to buy three games on Origin games and I hated it.
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    I have already pre-ordered the game, as much as I like having all my games in one place I have bought it here. I will probably rebuy it if it comes out on steam at a later date.
  • hackmedhackmed Member Posts: 3
    beo said:

This "only-buying-from-Steam" arguments are pretty pathetic. I can understand why someone would -prefer- to have it on Steam but making buy-or-not-to-buy decision based on that? Because you will not have game in some favorite application's list? Really? Because otherwise you will forget where you bought it from? Seriously?

If you place convenience over the game itself, you probably don't like it much anyway - not that it's inconvenient as it is in the first place.

Well for me personally, I will be buying it regardless*, since it is a game I know I will like (having played the originals). But I don't see why people who only buy on steam shouldn't give their feedback, I'm not sure how that's "pathetic" exactly. Many people weigh the pro's and con's before making purchase decisions, it might be that the lack of a steam release is stopping them. It's not really an argument, it's just their decision (if they were actually trying to convince you to not buy it, then I could see it as an argument).

As for wanting convenience over the game itself, what of the people that have never played a Baldurs gate before, they don't know if they will like it or not. Sure, after playing they might realize it was worth a purchase outside their normal library, but a steam release may have caused them to "risk" a purchase not knowing if they would like it.

I would agree those that are threatening to pirate it are pathetic however.

*Though concerning Mokona's post, I might just wait for the inevitable steam release.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think what really annoys me with all the Steam talk is that it reminds me of the annoying console wars. And here I thought nothing like that happened on PCs.

I guess if anyone is happy with all of this its Valve.

Just look at this situation where Steam users are criticizing Beamdog for not making the game available on Steam. Why not criticize Valve for not making Steam offer more attractive conditions for Beamdog to make BG available there?

When you put all the fault on Beamdog and leave Steam on some kind of unquestionable holy pedestal, the only thing you're doing is allowing Valve to impose all the rules that they want.
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    Tanthalas said:

I think what really annoys me with all the Steam talk is that it reminds me of the annoying console wars. And here I thought nothing like that happened on PCs.

I guess if anyone is happy with all of this its Valve.

Just look at this situation where Steam users are criticizing Beamdog for not making the game available on Steam. Why not criticize Valve for not making Steam offer more attractive conditions for Beamdog to make BG available there?

When you put all the fault on Beamdog and leave Steam on some kind of unquestionable holy pedestal, the only thing you're doing is allowing Valve to impose all the rules that they want.

We thank you, oh Valve, for revealing the cunning plans of your enemies to us. May your light shine down on the souls of the brave soldiers who gave their lives in service to your will. Onward, warriors of the Steam. Avenge your fallen brothers - blessed, as they are, in their eternal union with the Gabe Newell. Bring death to those who spurn the holy power of the Steam.
  • rainrain Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    M0ty said:

WTF is Beamdog ? Who uses Beamdog ???

Ahhhhh, the youth of today. I wasn't aware that you necessarily had to "use" any services such as Steam to play a game. I still play the original version of BG, which is over 10 years old, and "use" nothing other than the game itself.

Another important point is that Steam's EULA is effectively illegal. Their system intrinsically prevents people from reselling licences of games which they own. You cannot sell the Steam licence of an old Steam game you no longer want to another Steam user, despite the fact that Steam recently confessed that enabling the transfer of game licenses between accounts would be extremely easy for them to do.

There was a time you could buy a game, play it and then sell it for half price to recoup some money on the copy of a game you legally own.

What Steam are doing in that regard could quite easily be proven illegal in a court of law: http://www.zdnet.com/oracle-cannot-block-the-resale-of-its-software-in-europe-7000000189/

So Steam is basically a sinister and illegal framework whose main true purpose is to stamp out the used-game market, which greedy game publishers and distributors have always hated. I don't agree with using illegal online services I'm afraid. We're not allowed to use bit-torrent sites which have illegal EULAs, but Steam's illegal EULA is somehow fine and dandy? hmmmm-kay.

Aah, but the modern casual gamer: as long as they don't have to boggle their little minds with the concept of manual patching and have in game access to their strange social networking Steam "friends" lists.

So no, screw Steam I'm afraid.
  • TashSunriderTashSunrider Member Posts: 3
    rain said:

M0ty said:

WTF is Beamdog ? Who uses Beamdog ???

Another important point is that Steam's EULA is effectively illegal. Their system intrinsically prevents people from reselling licences of games which they own. You cannot sell the Steam licence of an old Steam game you no longer want to another Steam user, despite the fact that Steam recently confessed that enabling the transfer of game licenses between accounts would be extremely easy for them to do.

That court decision is like 2 weeks old and is a completely different case. Oracle forbid the re-sale of licenses. Steam just currently does not provide a way to re-sell licenses of your purchases but technically doesn't tell you you're not allowed to. If you don't like it you can take them to court and see if they decide the same for games. And next take Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft for their console software to court cause that's the same story.

And next i would have to ask:

How does Beamdog let you sell your games?

• TashSunriderTashSunrider Member Posts: 3
    What's up with all the people attacking potential customers that ask for the game to be released on steam?
    How does it hurt any of you?
    True, steam might take a bigger cut than beamdog but also would have a thousand times the exposure and possible sales. It doesn't have to be exclusively on steam, no one is asking for that.

I want it on steam so i can re-download it whenever i want.

I also am pretty dam sure that this eventually will be on steam and having played the original over a decade ago, I'm really not in a hurry to get it. I will wait until it gets on steam and I'm sure many other players will do the same.

Steam = more sales. It's as easy as that, no matter how much you hate it.

• TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    @TashSunrider I agree that releasing it on Steam at some point is a good idea. I hate Steam, but never attacked anyone for requesting a release there. What I did react to was the concept of ONLY buying if it was on Steam. Or DEMANDING that it be on Steam.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    :sigh: it will probably be released on steam eventually. why would they rush into it immediately? it is logical they need to insure people first buy from them directly before they expand to other sites that will diminish the returns?
    like i said, i have strong aversion toward steam, but i'm sure it will be there eventually. people that DEMAND it there should at least arm themselves with some patience and come to terms of not being able to play on 21 september, but later.
  • ratoaratoa Member Posts: 15
    They need as much revenue as they can that's why the game isn't going on STEAM and bad news for you all in the near future every game company and their mother will be doing their own DL services ask EA
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    Sandorien said:

The Rason i wont be buying if its not on steam is simply ive lost track of all my non steam games to the point of re buying on steam. For me its just easier I like to keep all my dvds in the same book case and all my games in same platform it has nothing to do with one sucking

But since this is a download and has offline play, why not just keep a shortcut on your desktop. I'd be pretty hard to lose there.

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    rain said:

There was a time you could buy a game, play it and then sell it for half price to recoup some money on the copy of a game you legally own.

So you mean you could sell it for half the 5/2.74$ that you bought it on steam sales for! a fortune indeed...
    Anyway we know the conditions, we only buy at steam if we want to...
    The problem is some games MUST use steam, but even those eventualy get sales.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2012
    This whole thread reeks of first-world-problemism. If you can't stomach buying BGEE from anywhere but steam then apparently you don't care much about the game and aren't interested in it anyway.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    ''This whole thread reeks of first-world-problemism. If you can't stomach buying BGEE from anywhere but steam then apparently you don't care much about the game and aren't interested in it anyway.''

amen (whatever it means by an atheist like me. ^^)
  • meltdownmonkmeltdownmonk Member Posts: 2
    Having on Steam would be amazing, and convenient. I'm wondering if they'll release Planescape: Torment in the same way.
    @DiscoCat Did you really expect to see an active discourse on third world problems on a video game forum?
  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    DiscoCat said:

This whole thread reeks of first-world-problemism. If you can't stomach buying BGEE from anywhere but steam then apparently you don't care much about the game and aren't interested in it anyway.

Were you expecting a discourse on the various wars around the world or any of the other myriad of problems the world faces here?

edited August 2012
    @rosestorm @Treyolen What are you, clones? Anyway, apparently, there is no meaningful continuum of entitlement and spoilage for you; something is either a serious global issue or meaningless whining of privileged people in developed countries.

I'm sorry but how else to describe a thread full of people who don't want to buy a game because they might forget their password or the name of the website to download it from? Or, even better, those who must buy on Steam because they want all their games in one place. If only there was a way to add non-steam games to Steam...
    @DiscoCat I agree that the insistence on Steam is strange. But bringing up the concept of first world issues vs. third world issues on a video game forum also seemed strange. Everything being discussed here is going to be a first world topic. I come to places like this for escapism to get away from having to consider the heavier topics associated with the third world.
    edited August 2012
    @Treyolen ??? The term "First world problem" is used almost exclusively in humorous contexts. It is almost a requirement to have your tongue firmly placed in your cheek when using it. Google it.
  • hackmedhackmed Member Posts: 3
    DiscoCat said:

I'm sorry but how else to describe a thread full of people who don't want to buy a game because they might forget their password or the name of the website to download it from? Or, even better, those who must buy on Steam because they want all their games in one place. If only there was a way to add non-steam games to Steam...

Errrr, there is only a few in this thread saying they would like for it to come to steam. I don't see how this thread is full of them, I am one of few, and already said i would buy it anyway.

It's not like I'm bitching about it, I was just voicing my opinion and my past experience.

@DiscoCat I clearly missed the humor and for that I do apologize. But I think it may be an age thing. First world vs third world issues are very real and that term is used in a much different way on most of the sites I frequent. Tongue in cheek humor is easy to misidentify in the written word. Thank you for the Google idea though, it would never have occurred to me to go to that site. Did you know you can search for all kinds of things there? Crazy!
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Treyolen I think the "first world vs third world" thing might be a level of abstraction too high for this. Discussion is nice but the sarcasm doesn't add really anything.
    @Coriander The sarcasm was meant to illustrate how easily tone is misconstrued on the internet. I don't think telling someone to Google a term is very constructive either. But your point is taken :)
  • ErebadGwainErebadGwain Member Posts: 2
    Well, everything that has to be said has probably been said already. I just want to add a economic point to this discussion: Steam has a near-monopole on the digital game market. And they earned their position by being one of the first to deliver a high-quality product. I like steam myself.
    However, as consumers, we should not encourage monopolies because they will keep added value from us. Modern economy is based on competitive price-service-models. If there is no competition, there will be no improvements.
    So, try to think of it like this: as good as steam may be, a healthy competition will lead to an even better steam. Competition will lead to innovation. By restricting yourselves to just one digital seller, you are not only keeping the industry from faster-paced progress (motivated by competition) but also you prevent other companies from coming up with great innovations and products. In the end, your are cheating yourselves out of your own money.

I like to think that Beamdog does not just deliver a very great game, but also contributes to a healthy amount of competition in the industry. So why should I not buy BGEE?
    edited August 2012
    Treyolen said:

@DiscoCat Thank you for the Google idea though, it would never have occurred to me to go to that site. Did you know you can search for all kinds of things there? Crazy!

Well, based on your previous comment, I reasoned you need all the help you can get.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    While at the moment, the only way I see myself buying this game is if it's on Steam and costs $5 or less (since I already have the original, so it's DLC as far as I'm concerned), there's a way that might make people like me consider creating a Beamdog account and buy games there:

I currently have a Steam account (where most of my games are today), and an Origin account (contains a handful of games). The reason I originally opened those accounts was because I already had games for them. I had Half Life and its expansions that I could register on Steam and I had some EA games that I could register on Origin when it was released.

If Beamdog could make it so that people could register certain games that they already own - whether on disc or on competing digital services - on their service at no cost, people will have a reason to start using it.

To people who don't care about having multiple digital game libraries - good for you, but for some of us that discomfort just isn't worth it.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    You dont need to create a beamdog client account.. you can have it as a direct download
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Steam is clouding the issue.