Skip to content

Will BGEE be available on steam?

Comments

• Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    mch202 said:

You dont need to create a beamdog client account.. you can have it as a direct download

That's almost as bad. Try to see it from a Steam user's point of view: I'd have a game that I'll have to download from a separate service. whether it's Beamdog or this site, I'll have to go and download this from another service. While having one game being from a different service might look like a minor inconvenience, I can't support this or every small developer would do the same.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114

rosestorm said:

As for why I love steam, the two things I love about it are the way it handles patches and dlc. The auto-patch function is something that I love and the seamless integration of dlc, minus those few games that use GFWL for whatever ungodly reason.

Well then you're in luck! The BG:EE launcher auto updates the game to the latest patch when you run it. Plus there is no 3rd party utility, like Steam, running in the background. So realistically it's a superior platform than Steam. Plus, by buying directly from Beamdog, they earn more revenue from the sale which means games like BG 3 and other Enhanced Edition titles could be released. Also, having the account to download and patch the game is no different than having an account on this very forum, so any inconvenience you may feel there is is negligible since you are demonstrating by being here the willingness to create a new account for something you're interested in.

That said, I do understand that some people enjoy seeing their list of games in one place, but understand that Steam will never have 100% of PC titles. It's quite futile not buying this game due to lack of Steam support since there will be many more titles by many other developers in the years to come that are not on Steam.

I like the auto update of steam, it updates my game when a update is released, not when I want to launch the game. When I want to launch the game, it's already updated.

The main point of Steam version is the visibility. The game will be a lot more visible on Steam.

I already bought a copy, don't have any problems with a non-steam version of the game. But I really think it's not a good move.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Tanthalas said:

I think what really annoys me with all the Steam talk is that it reminds me of the annoying console wars. And here I thought nothing like that happened on PCs.

I guess if anyone is happy with all of this its Valve.

Just look at this situation where Steam users are criticizing Beamdog for not making the game available on Steam. Why not criticize Valve for not making Steam offer more attractive conditions for Beamdog to make BG available there?

When you put all the fault on Beamdog and leave Steam on some kind of unquestionable holy pedestal, the only thing you're doing is allowing Valve to impose all the rules that they want.

Can you tell me more about these conditions? I really want to known about this.

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Razor said:

I'am sure Beamdog knows that steam is important but they do have to have this exclusive... it's understandable. My only request would be that upon steam release (later) those who pre-order get a steam key.
    If enough people ask maybe we'll get a steam release...
    There are thousands of reasons to want steam really... none of them might look important. If you want 1 then I can point you to the overlay and chat, in which all your friends are. You can still add it as a non-steam game... but idk... it's ugly, today being on steam is the best choice for any game.

I Utterly disagree. Don't get me wrong, I like steam...I have a few games there myself and that collection grows as they have sales.

But I can guarantee steam is NOT the best choice...mostly because anything sold through steam must be able to contact steam to load the app.

You cannot load a steam game onto a laptop and take it with you on a drive and play the game...it won't start because you can't contact the steam servers.

Would I like to see this game as a steam game? Absolutely, if for no better reason that I'd love to see the exposure that would bring.

Do I think a Steam solution is a better solution that what's being proposed right now? Heck no.

I actually am surprised and VERY pleased that you'll be able to throw away the beamdog client once the game is downloaded.
    Illydth said:

Razor said:

I'am sure Beamdog knows that steam is important but they do have to have this exclusive... it's understandable. My only request would be that upon steam release (later) those who pre-order get a steam key.
    If enough people ask maybe we'll get a steam release...
    There are thousands of reasons to want steam really... none of them might look important. If you want 1 then I can point you to the overlay and chat, in which all your friends are. You can still add it as a non-steam game... but idk... it's ugly, today being on steam is the best choice for any game.

I Utterly disagree. Don't get me wrong, I like steam...I have a few games there myself and that collection grows as they have sales.

But I can guarantee steam is NOT the best choice...mostly because anything sold through steam must be able to contact steam to load the app.

You cannot load a steam game onto a laptop and take it with you on a drive and play the game...it won't start because you can't contact the steam servers.

Would I like to see this game as a steam game? Absolutely, if for no better reason that I'd love to see the exposure that would bring.

Do I think a Steam solution is a better solution that what's being proposed right now? Heck no.

I actually am surprised and VERY pleased that you'll be able to throw away the beamdog client once the game is downloaded.

"You cannot load a steam game onto a laptop and take it with you on a drive and play the game...it won't start because you can't contact the steam servers."?

Weird, I do it all the time. Google steam offline mode. Even if you are in online mode but get to an area without an internet connection, the games will still work as long as you don't close Steam.
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    Doom972 said:

mch202 said:

You dont need to create a beamdog client account.. you can have it as a direct download

That's almost as bad. Try to see it from a Steam user's point of view: I'd have a game that I'll have to download from a separate service. whether it's Beamdog or this site, I'll have to go and download this from another service. While having one game being from a different service might look like a minor inconvenience, I can't support this or every small developer would do the same.
    As hard as I try, all I can think is "whoopdee doo." It IS a minor inconvenience. Not a single person here has shown me how it is some major issue. Sounds like something that comes from a Steam employee rather than a Steam user.

Doom972 said:

mch202 said:

As hard as I try, all I can think is "whoopdee doo." It IS a minor inconvenience. Not a single person here has shown me how it is some major issue. Sounds like something that comes from a Steam employee rather than a Steam user.
    As I said in my first post within this thread, given a good enough offer from Beamdog I might decide to use their service. If they want to get me to buy games on their service, fair enough, but right now their offer just doesn't appeal to me. Once the game is on Steam for a fair price, I might be interested in it. I already have the original game and I'm in no hurry to get this slightly superior version.

I see that many people are saying that not buying the game because it's not on Steam makes you a fanboy, but remember that many people, such as myself, already have the game. While I wouldn't mind a chance to try this slightly superior version, there's no hurry for me to do so since I already played this game.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @agentmulder

I have no idea of the conditions.

The only thing that I can assume is that Beamdog prefers to keep BGEE exclusive for now.
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    @Doom972 I completely understand your point. But it doesn't seem like your real objection is non-Steam distribution, but price. I'm sure the game will eventually go on sale for a lower price. I think it will eventually find its way to Steam. But us early adopters will pay a premium directly to the developer. They would be foolish to pass that up.
    Treyolen said:

@Doom972 I completely understand your point. But it doesn't seem like your real objection is non-Steam distribution, but price. I'm sure the game will eventually go on sale for a lower price. I think it will eventually find its way to Steam. But us early adopters will pay a premium directly to the developer. They would be foolish to pass that up.

Exactly because more money directly to the developer means a more likely chance that some of those old games will be enhanced and released. Why split the pot with a big distributor who is producing nothing but a service, a service that can be provided elsewhere giving more money to the developer which likely means more games for us.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    @Illydth No one is asking to choose between one or the other, just want it on steam too. And it will, look at MDK2 HD! So even though I know hundreds will still come here ask for it (happens with all games) Iets give steam release a rest!

FYI you have offline mode in which you can leave your laptop. And play whenever you want, dont tell me it doesnt work because it does. The only problem is with games that use the cloud.. since you are not online.
    And just take a look at the amount of indies on steam, (how many thousands more they sell) and then tell me if steam is not the best option for them and for any game really.
    Post edited by Razor on
    Treyolen said:

Both are deal-breakers for me, but I'm sure that once enough time passes that problem will be solved. I just wanted to use this opportunity to voice my concerns.

Treyolen said:

Exactly because more money directly to the developer means a more likely chance that some of those old games will be enhanced and released. Why split the pot with a big distributor who is producing nothing but a service, a service that can be provided elsewhere giving more money to the developer which likely means more games for us.
    It's not my job to make sure the developer gets as much money as possible, but it's in the developer's
    interest to make more people want to buy this game.

While on Steam they won't get the same share of the sales, they'll sell a whole lot more copies than by direct download and Beamdog combined. This doesn't matter for me, but I thought I'd mention that anyway.

Treyolen said:

It's not my job to make sure the developer gets as much money as possible, but it's in the developer's
    interest to make more people want to buy this game.

While on Steam they won't get the same share of the sales, they'll sell a whole lot more copies than by direct download and Beamdog combined. This doesn't matter for me, but I thought I'd mention that anyway.
    I don't believe that I said it was your job. What I am saying is that for those of us that want to see some of the other games get the same treatment, its in our best interest for the company to be profitable because more money means greater chance of future releases. In may not matter to you, but it should matter to people that want to see Ice Wind Dale or Planescape Torment rereleased.

As for the second part, I withhold judgement on profitability until after the game is released and final numbers come in.
    Majoca said:

I cannot believe this is an issue?
    I cannot understand why Steam has become such a deciding factor whether to buy this game?
    People state that Steam is the best option for this game yet they lack the experience, knowledge of business and don’t actually own a company, so how is anyone on here able to give sound advice to another company on how to sell their product?

I am just saying that they have decided against steam for a reason, money? Hassle? Or are trying to expand their client I am unsure, who knows they decide because they are the ones putting the effort in and making the game for people to play.

I have no problem against owning a game digitally without a client. I have games physically and digitally it is no problem and if you think it’s a pain and a hassle to not have a game on steam then I don’t understand why you own a computer. sometimes things in life are annoying, most likely this comment or the fact you have to not own this game on steam, too bad for you there are many other issues in the world, a little discomfort can be overlooked I’m sure.

Now for people who are saying steam would bring more buyers, if Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is great and I am sure it will be, regardless of client or how you buy the game people will find it, Minecraft is an example, that spread like wild fire and that game is not on steam, but only if this game is great.

One more thing, since when did gaming become about clients? Playing the games and enjoying them is what I game for and it annoys me to see such trivial matters like this. It is my opinion and maybe I am wrong but I think I’ve made some relevant points

I've always been a PC gamer and I can deal with hassle, but I don't like it when developers/publishers decide to make it extra uncomfortable for me to buy, install and play. In addition to this, it's a game that many of us already own. I have Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. I don't have to play this slightly better version, I'd just like to play it, in terms that I deem acceptable.
    Whether or not selling through Steam is better for Overhaul is not really my concern (though I think it would). If they don't think my money and that of many others is worth it, they don't have to release it on Steam.
    @Doom972 Although I'm still not sure how selling on their own site makes it extra uncomfortable for you to buy, I understand your point. Most of us are comfortable downloading different programs from different places. I get lots of programs from Microsoft, Sourceforge, GOG, Mozilla, WotC, VideoLAN, and several others I can't think of off hand. Many of these programs require patching and it doesn't seem to inconvenience me. Different people have different experiences.

I respect your one distribution system stand. But that does mean that you will need to wait to play this game. I think everyone has come to terms with this idea.
    Treyolen said:

@Doom972 Although I'm still not sure how selling on their own site makes it extra uncomfortable for you to buy, I understand your point. Most of us are comfortable downloading different programs from different places. I get lots of programs from Microsoft, Sourceforge, GOG, Mozilla, WotC, VideoLAN, and several others I can't think of off hand. Many of these programs require patching and it doesn't seem to inconvenience me. Different people have different experiences.

I respect your one distribution system stand. But that does mean that you will need to wait to play this game. I think everyone has come to terms with this idea.

First of all, I would like to say that non-game programs are not the issue here, so I won't be talking about them.

I'll explain the problem in as much detail as I can:

I'm a long time PC gamer, and I have a lot of games. Until 2010 I bought everything in retail. I like the fact that my games are accessible to me at any time, since I have a habit of going back and playing old games from time to time.

At some point I decided that buying retail just wasn't worth it. I bought games, for which I had to make an online account for and download a huge patch before playing. Steam provides much better prices where I live and I can deal having to download my games because my internet connection is fast enough, and because I'd probably have to download large files even if I bought retail copies.

I still have the need to have all my games visible and accessible to me, not only when I want to play them, but also when I don't. Because if I forget that they exist, due to them not being accessible from my one digital library - What was the point of getting them in the first place? When I look at my games, selecting an old game I want to play again, I need to see it there with the rest of my digital library of games. It needs to be there even if I use a completely new computer.

You might say "So have just one more digital library - Beamdog", but the thing is that I already have Steam and Origin because of Mass Effect 3 and enough is enough. I can't have every company pushing their digital download service on me, and I see that Square-Enix will soon have exclusives on their online store (like the enhanced Final Fantasy VII for PC), and I'm sure Ubisoft's Uplay is going to be for more than DLC and multiplayer in the future.

I'm willing to buy my games through Steam or retail. If it's good enough for most other publishers/developers, it should be good enough for Overhaul.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, the only thing I can say is that I'm sure Valve appreciates your stance.

They really have it going good for them when they have their customers demanding other companies to sell their games through Steam.
    @Doom972 You don't need to explain your position. We get it. We don't agree with it. But we understand it. You're valuing convenience more than most of us on this board. You don't need to say anything else. I'm sure this title will make its way to Steam eventually. It just isn't going to launch there. And you will have non-game apps in Steam next month whether you think that's an issue or not. Imagine how convenient that will be.
    Treyolen said:

@Doom972 You don't need to explain your position. We get it. We don't agree with it. But we understand it. You're valuing convenience more than most of us on this board. You don't need to say anything else. I'm sure this title will make its way to Steam eventually. It just isn't going to launch there. And you will have non-game apps in Steam next month whether you think that's an issue or not. Imagine how convenient that will be.

You said you are unsure how this inconveniences me, which means that I probably didn't explain myself well, so I explained in detail.
    I realize that it'll probably be on Steam eventually. I just wanted to join the discussion.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    edited August 2012

I don't get it, why do you guys care if it's on steam just so long as it's not on another client? Do you buy EVERY game on Steam? What about Diablo and WoW and Mass Effect and a whole host of others?

Even more weird is wanting to buy it from Beamdog and then transfer it to steam after you have already bought and downloaded it? You might as well add it to steam yourself and it is no different.

Steam is great, I love it and I hate to use another platform but I'm fine with playing a game that doesn;t require steam or any client, it's one less layer of crap to get through before your game. I really really don't get it.

I'd like to see BGEE on either Steam or GOG, since I rater have all my digital copies of games in two places then one, two games on a whole bunch of places (the games you listed I have boxed versions).

If it's not available on Steam, GOG or boxed the interest of getting it is heavily reduced, it becomes yet another site to register, another site to remember that you have a game on, another site you have to trust they will be still be active in a couple of years, etc.

As much as I have waited for BGEE I can't guarantee I will purchase before it's available on either Steam or GOG. I have the originals as boxed and GOG version and they are great as they are, I have no doubt that the EE will be as great (or greater) but I do doubt I will be able to bother with yet another distribution site.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Just add a bookmark. Jeez...

In my times, we had to go to a game shop to buy games. It took driving, walking, finding the game (and trying other shops) and paying time. Now, it's just a download on the internet.

How can people still complain. It's only a simple download. It is like steam without any hassle.

Adobe is not on steam. Firefox is not on steam. OpenOffice is not on steam. Winrar (lol) is not on steam. Skype is not on steam. Online newspaper are not on steam. That already makes some distribution sites different of gog and steam and I probably can find a lot more.

Actually, I really hope BGEE is sufficiently successful to be able to ignore steam/gog release. Yes, that would make my day.
    @Medillen I agree with ninety nine percent of your post. But a GOG release offers a lot more than just convenience. They offer a fully DRM free experience that should be encouraged. If Beamdog drops the DRM than I wouldn't care about a GOG release. But barring that I would buy this title again in a heartbeat if GOG was an option.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    This discussion is yet another which makes me appreciate the wonderful technology we now have today, but also makes me shake my head at the irritation people express over something which is so easily taken for granted. Steam is a convenience, perhaps an important one to some, but nevertheless a mere convenience. I just don't understand people getting upset about the lack of a convenience, especially when apparently, it can be quite easily overcome.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think Steam would be an interesting addition to the game, if only because it would allow you to quickly see when your friends are online and available for a multiplayer game. It would also provide an easy means for voice chat.

That said, I appreciate much more the freedom of actually owning the license for the game once I've purchased it, and being able to play it offline or when the servers are down. Just save the email with the download link, and you won't even have to bookmark Beamdog's homepage. Adding a game to your Steam library is really simple, too.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Ideally you could buy any game through any digital distribution service. Perhaps even transfer your games between them. But since we ain't there yet, it is better that the games cannot all be found at the same place (at least on launch). Why? Because that ensures we have competition and competition is the only thing that keeps innovation going.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Bercon said:

Ideally you could buy any game through any digital distribution service. Perhaps even transfer your games between them. But since we ain't there yet, it is better that the games cannot all be found at the same place (at least on launch). Why? Because that ensures we have competition and competition is the only thing that keeps innovation going.

And prices down... If Steam or any other service ever gets a true monopoly it won't be a pretty future for games...