Skip to content

Lack of evil clerics in BG

So I have recently got BG:EE on steam and I had a good alignment playthrough recently with a Fighter/Cleric character. I was trying to use characters which where not part of my usual canon party adventure. So I used Coran, Alora, Dorn, Xan and Neera. It was a great team in the end and I had a blast trying out the new characters.

My next playthrough I decided to do something I have never done in an infinity engine game, and that was to try out an evil team. I have a problem though, and that is if you don't like Viconia, you are a bit stuck for divine casters. I am using Branwen but I feel she doesn't really fit in with the tone of the party (Montaron, Xzar, Safana, Eldoth, and Blackguard PC). I might replace her with Tiax when I reach baldurs gate, or Quayle, but they are both multiclass and really I have enough rogues and spell casters in my team already.

Essentially I feel that an evil single/mult classed cleric or fighter cleric, would be a great addition to Baldurs gate. Does anyone know of a mod that adds a new character compatible ? Or should I just suck it up and use Viconia.

Comments

• ThomaswThomasw Member Posts: 18
    Bhaaldog said:

Who needs more evil clerics when you have Viconia!

Not everyone likes Viconia though, or dark elves in general !

Worg and Eudaemonium, this is a good idea I might try it out when I get to BG. I could then use a different arcane caster, maybe Edwin.

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Faldorn also works as an evil divine spellcaster!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wolkdarius404
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2013
    hmmm you know that Safana is more happy with high rep party than low..she's more like Branwen??...
    she gives lotsa good feedback when you have 16 rep..
    but still there might be few pure evil thiefs in Bg1
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Thomasw said:

Worg and Eudaemonium, this is a good idea I might try it out when I get to BG. I could then use a different arcane caster, maybe Edwin.

Good only gets 1/2 of a cleric.

The NPC population is heavy on the Thief and Mage side, light on the Cleric side.
    DJKajuru said:

Faldorn also works as an evil divine spellcaster!

It's really odd that both she and Jahira are technically Neutral, since Faldorn talks like she's Evil, but leaves your party like she's Good-lite.
    Quartzdarius404

hmmm you know that Safana is more happy with high rep party than low..she's more like Branwen??...
    she gives lotsa good feedback when you have 16 rep..
    but still there might be few pure evil thiefs in Bg1

That is odd, her reputation is chaotic neutral and she frequently says "Given two evils I pick the one I haven't tried". I will probably have to ditch her to get Skie when I reach baldurs gate. Hopefully Skie is good at trap finding and lock picking as Safana is amazing at it.
    Bhaaldog said:

Thomasw said:

Bhaaldog said:

There are people on the forum who do not "like" Viconia?
    Of course. In fact I really dislike all of the romances in the BG games, actually in any Bioware games. I think are awkward and really lame. I avoid Jahera, Aeire and Viconia in BG2 just so I don't have to suffer the romance conversations that keep arising !
    KidCarnivalWolk
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Thomasw said:

Bhaaldog said:

Better still, sneak Monty into Durlag's Tower and pick up the tome there. That way you can dual Xzar early.
    [Deleted User]Quartzdarius404
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2013
    I...still can't fathom people not liking Viconia. In BG2 she's an awesome Cleric since the game bumps her Wisdom up to 18. 15 in BG1 is fine since there's not a whole lot of spells you need to cast multiple times, and it takes care of all the basics: Bless, Chant, Protection from Evil 10', and Defensive Harmony ( unless you're packing a Druid, let them take that ) and a few heals.

Viconia is just too versatile to pass up for me. Give her that spiffy Warhammer/Stupifier/Mace+2, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, some heavy duty armor, and she's a paper tiger kinda' tank. She's good at throwing rocks when that's not advisable, and she keeps your party clean and healthy. What's not to love?

Eudaemoniumlunardarius404
    @Eudaemonium

I can't get on board with Xzar. That dude's too crazy for my ass. I think it's his picture. Looks like he's trying to rip his lip off or something.

Another thing about him rolling into a Mage/Cleric, is lack of HP, and the biggy, no armor other than Elven Chain. Sure, he can cast Ghost Armor and Mirror Image but, if he's hit with a Dispel Magic, he's toast in SCS. I guess you could throw on armor before battle but, I don't want to be arsed with that.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Honestly, I have Xzar with the Robe of Evil Archmagi, Large Shield +2, and Cloak of Protection+2, and he seems to do fine most of the time. It is true that he has low HP, though. Dualing from Necromancer 6 means he only ends up with about 40 HP max at Cleric 8, comapred to Viconia's 52.

I actually use a different portrait for Xzar, but I get what you mean about his default trying to eat his own hand. I use the one from the PaintBG mod, which gives him the air of a far 'quieter' insanity in my mind.
    [Deleted User]
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    For me, it's Xzar all the way. In mixed neutral-evil parties, Branwen is a good choice though.

Xzar's low hit points really don't bother me. He has better con than Shar-Teel (9 con, Xzar has 10), who used to be THE frontliner in vanilla. There's nothing she can wear that Xzar can't in his downtime (and if you don't need his arcane spells, you can keep him in heavy armor later - for example, if you use him as utility caster only, with Identify and Knock). Xzar works the same way - avoid to get hit with good dex, plus he can buff himself and ends up as a decent frontliner who does decent damage. 14 strength is pretty good for a mage, and there's always the gloves to bring it to 18/00. Except, for Xzar it isn't as crucial as for Viconia; he can wear shields and armor without the gloves.

Making him a cleric also makes him more of a necromancer - he gets undead summons much sooner than as mage, and the "turn undead" fits the theme, too. I usually give him Stupifier and Ashideena, a Large Shield +2 (or later the shield you get in BG for the Umberlee/dead boy quest), Robe of Evil Arch Magi, Ring of Sune, (second) Evermemory, at first Amulet of Spell Wielding (from Kryll), later the necklace for extra level 2 spell, strength gloves, Protection Cloak, and Kiel's Helm or Helm of the Noble.

I actually like his normal portrait because it's such a big contrast. He looks batshit insane, yet his voiceset - compared to the arrogant, grumpy casters (Edwin, Baeloth, Eldoth, Quayle) - is kinda positive and friendly. The others permanently insult you/your intellect, plot to overthrow you and want you to leave them alone - Xzar compliments you, vows to defend you with his life (his city line) and tries to entertain the party with stories. He is insane, sure, but he's also the most social and optimistic evil NPC.
    EudaemoniumlunarQuartz
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

In mixed neutral-evil parties, Branwen is a good choice though.

And also in neutral-good parties. Branwen is a good all-rounder.
    KidCarnivalEudaemonium
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, if you're not too picky of how you play, you could always be the cleric yourself... Or play through multiplayer and make your own cleric.

In mixed neutral-evil parties, Branwen is a good choice though.

And also in neutral-good parties. Branwen is a good all-rounder.
    True. I rarely play good parties, but I prefer clerics over druids (for command alone), so Branwen seems the better option than Jaheira. Yeslick isn't available for a while, making Branwen the only option, too.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Thomasw said:

Your stated comment was not enough evil clerics. What you apparently meant was "that you like".

That is a different complaint entirely. I may not like Minsc or Kivan but that doesn't mean there aren't any good aligned rangers in the game.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    Actually I find there to be a lack of good clerics in bg
    Pantalion

Thomasw said:

Your stated comment was not enough evil clerics. What you apparently meant was "that you like".

That is a different complaint entirely. I may not like Minsc or Kivan but that doesn't mean there aren't any good aligned rangers in the game.
    You can always count on finding a pedant amongst video gamers. I think my title still stands. In fact as others have pointed out, there is a lack of single classed clerics in total. There are a few classes with few options, evil ranged attackers is one. Good parties can choose from Kivan or Coran who are clearly destined for the bow and arrow. I have been using Eldoth who is surprisingly effective, but I think an evil fighter with some sort of bows or crossbow focused personality would be cool.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

good aligned rangers

...Ya know...
    KidCarnival
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    To each their own. For me, I find the choices for an evil party a veritable plethora. I only wish there were as many in BG2.
    @Thomasw

For Ranged on the evil side you have Viconia ( Sling+1 in Beregost, a Sling+2 in Durlags, and another Sling+2 somewhere else ), you have Dorn that can use Poison Weapon with a ranged weapon, Eldoth with Gauntlets of Dexterity, and fan favorite, Shar-Teel after a level or two.

You have options.
    edited March 2013
    The only problem with Eldoth is that he needs the dex gloves badly to make use of his long bow prof and hence his special ability. That alone isn't a problem - until you consider that most evil parties will have Kagain as tank, who benefits from the gloves just as much. If your charname can tank and you don't need Kagain (or give him strength gloves for better damage instead) - no problem at all.

But yeah, rangers being restricted to good causes a bit of a lack for the "typical" ranged evil option, as there is no counterpart to that class. Shar-Teel and Viconia have good dex, so they work well enough - and their low con isn't such a problem. Monty is pretty good with slings, too. Evil doesn't lack a ranged NPC, just a bow-using archer.
    @KidCarnival

Depending on when you get Shar-Teel, you could build her as such. Pick her up in the early game, then use the two remaining Prof. Points for a Longbow or Crossbow.

• ParasolsyndicateParasolsyndicate Member Posts: 54

The only problem with Eldoth is that he needs the dex gloves badly to make use of his long bow prof and hence his special ability. That alone isn't a problem - until you consider that most evil parties will have Kagain as tank, who benefits from the gloves just as much.

Minor spoilers ahead:
    There are bracers that boost ranged weapon THACO. You can easily obtain them well before Eldoth. Additionally, EE has a second pair of Weapon skill bracers available.

Because of this, I tend to save the dex bracers for clerics.