Skip to content

Lack of evil clerics in BG

1234568»

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I think the reputation system can't be changed. It's not a minor tweak or fix - just look at how many things depend on your reputation. NPC happiness/breaking points, store prices, NPC reactions, quests that will only open if your reputation is high/low enough... It's basically "fixing" every second step you take.

And if the enhancements aren't a reason to buy the game, there's good news: You don't have to buy it.
    GodKaiserHell
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited April 2013
    Please, with all due respect, don't start this kind of ridiculous comment again "don't have to buy it" specially if i already brought it. I didn't raise an warning or a threat to the devs i just exercite my well deserved right as a customer.
    Doesn't change the contract limitations. I'm sure many people agree that the reputation system is one of the biggest flaws the game has, but it was known that this would be an enhanced edition and nothing else. From "enhanced", I expect bug fixes, improved interface and such; I already consider the new NPCs and their quests far beyond a simple "enhancement".
    the_spyder
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited April 2013
    @KidCarnival - I agree. Reputation system is too ingrained in the game to be altered. I think they did a fine job with what they have fixed and consider any new content such as NPCs to be above and beyond.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Dont know if anyone just said "hey please add another evil cleric to the game" so in case someone already did I second this request.

Evil clerics are cool and easy to implement. Why?, because the world is full of evil worshippers and secret cultists and they are funny when they ramdomly yell their insults and threats at you in combat:D
    DJKajuruthe_spyder
    I'm all for a few new NPCs. I think that Overhaul has done a wonderful job thus far and so I anticipate that they could do an excellent job in adding more. I wouldn't want a whole host of new NPCs but a few more would be nice.

KidCarnival
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123

@KidCarnival: As a note, since I haven't had Xzar *and* Monty with me by BG city for a long, long time, does who is writing reports to the Zhentarim about you change due to who is in your party? The guy in Sorcerous Sundries told me that Xzar spoke highly of me in his reports, I was wondering if it was Monty if you didn't have Xzar anymore, or if you had both which of them was writing to their superiors about you?

Hold! Wait, what? Is that a BG:EE feature? I've never seen/heard about any reports! Then again, I've never played with Monty/Xzar for long.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    NocturneN said:

@KidCarnival: As a note, since I haven't had Xzar *and* Monty with me by BG city for a long, long time, does who is writing reports to the Zhentarim about you change due to who is in your party? The guy in Sorcerous Sundries told me that Xzar spoke highly of me in his reports, I was wondering if it was Monty if you didn't have Xzar anymore, or if you had both which of them was writing to their superiors about you?

Hold! Wait, what? Is that a BG:EE feature? I've never seen/heard about any reports! Then again, I've never played with Monty/Xzar for long.
    In the upstairs of Sorcerous Sundries there are a bunch of Zhents. If you go up there without Xzar and/or Monty they will attack you, however if you have both/either then there will be a brief dialogue where the leader states that Xzar (maybe Monty too, been a long time) spoke of you highly in his reports, and informs you formally that they are Zhentarim. As far as I am aware it was in vanilla too.
    kamuizin[Deleted User]NocturneN
    I'm not sure it happens with Monty only. I once had only Khalid with me when I arrived in Nashkel and the mayor - who usually recognizes Jaheira or Xzar - gave me the normal speech (as if I had none of them with me). I'm not sure if these encounters are tied to the pairs, or only to Xzar and Jaheira.

Also, not sure if this is different than getting to the city with the Harpers... I *think* usually it's a Harper approaching you in the harbor district and giving you information. If you arrive with Xzar and Monty, it's a different NPC who introduces himself as Zhent. It's not changing anything as far as I can tell - I never had Jaheira or Khalid with me, I just read in a walkthrough (good party) that it was supposed to be someone else, and I think if you have neither pair, it's not this Zhent NPC either.
    EudaemoniumNocturneN
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think I've had a Harper come up to me even with Xzar in the team. I told him i already had his information and could he kindly get out of my face. Insufferable Harpers.
    KidCarnival[Deleted User]NocturneN
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Eudaemonium
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

In the upstairs of Sorcerous Sundries there are a bunch of Zhents. If you go up there without Xzar and/or Monty they will attack you, however if you have both/either then there will be a brief dialogue where the leader states that Xzar (maybe Monty too, been a long time) spoke of you highly in his reports, and informs you formally that they are Zhentarim. As far as I am aware it was in vanilla too.

Yes, it was in vanilla BG.

EudaemoniumNocturneN
    Bhaaldog said:

I think I've had a Harper come up to me even with Xzar in the team. I told him i already had his information and could he kindly get out of my face. Insufferable Harpers.

I may have to read more into the literature on the Harpers but my impression of the organisation from Baldur's Gate was not a good one, in particular how Jaheira was treated was treated in BG2. Probably did not help that I was also romancing her at the time as well...
    The Harper's are insufferable meddlers. They are awfully nosy and interfering. But that instance is outside even their normal level of interfering. It is about one guy trying to grab power for himself.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Speaking of nosy meddlers what's up with Elminister? Why's that dude have to bum rush you a couple times? He doesn't IIRC have any role in BG2

Speaking of nosy meddlers what's up with Elminister? Why's that dude have to bum rush you a couple times? He doesn't IIRC have any role in BG2

He doesn't need one. Meddling comes quite natural to him. Like breathing.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    he comments on your "straddling the world" in ToB...i think either before you enter sendai or abizigal's dungeon (the 2nd, depending on how you tackle them)
    Iecerint
  • ValrogValrog Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2013

The only problem with Eldoth is that he needs the dex gloves badly to make use of his long bow prof and hence his special ability. That alone isn't a problem - until you consider that most evil parties will have Kagain as tank, who benefits from the gloves just as much. If your charname can tank and you don't need Kagain (or give him strength gloves for better damage instead) - no problem at all.

Kagain is the Incredible Hulk and is an evil deity's gift to an evil party:)

Give him the strength gloves, full plate mail and some magical items he can carry the party by himself.

You can literally rest anywhere, even in the most dangerous areas, since within minutes the Incredible Hulk would be at full health and would be able to smash the "ambush".

Regeneration, grand mastery and (with the gloves of ogre strength) make him the best fighter possible.

The gloves of strength are a big waste on Viconia as she can only hit once per round anyway.
  • ValrogValrog Member Posts: 14

I...still can't fathom people not liking Viconia. In BG2 she's an awesome Cleric since the game bumps her Wisdom up to 18. 15 in BG1 is fine since there's not a whole lot of spells you need to cast multiple times, and it takes care of all the basics: Bless, Chant, Protection from Evil 10', and Defensive Harmony ( unless you're packing a Druid, let them take that ) and a few heals.

Viconia is just too versatile to pass up for me. Give her that spiffy Warhammer/Stupifier/Mace+2, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, some heavy duty armor, and she's a paper tiger kinda' tank. She's good at throwing rocks when that's not advisable, and she keeps your party clean and healthy. What's not to love?

In BG2 her character is very annoying. Plus, she's weaker than either Anomen (figher/cleric = super paladin) or Aerie (who can cast many, many more spells than Viconia.

In BG1, the Gauntlets of Ogre Power are a terrible waste on her, as she can hit only once and has no weapon proficiences. You are much better off giving the gauntlets to... pretty much anyone over her. Try Kagain, for instance.
    DJKajuru
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123

NocturneN said:

Wow that's quite incredible that I have actually missed that! I've never really made use of Xzar/Monty, but always wanted to. I think it's time to ditch Branwen and Safana, after all!
    Don't miss the chance to dual Xzar to cleric (tome from Durlag's upper level). He truly becomes death, destroyer of worlds.
    Quartz