Skip to content

Create a random game (optional no-reload speed game contest included) (spoilers)

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Oh I was decently leveled but when they held Dorn and killed him I decided to run. Luckily it turns out you can't equip armor in battle but you can speak to a priest to resurrect your friends. With Dorn resurrected and Branwen tanking I managed to kill the then blinded wolf quite easily.

Since then however I went to bandit camp and cocked up my speed game. After Baeloth, Branwen, Dorn all died multiple times I'm now at day 19 already traveling to Cloakwood 1. I'll still continue but obviously no chance for number one slot on the leaderboards.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Just FYI, if you're playing "Purist" style your result will still trump any that use settings that make the game easier. (Looks like most folks use auto-pause in one form or another, but the "Purist" version doesn't.)
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    Ok I need some advice. I'm running a no reload SCS challenge and, as I've posted, I made to chapter 5. After clearing cloakwood mines I decided to farm some xp, gold and items before going to baldurs gate, you know, it's better if everybody is level 7, isn't it?
    Despite some lame HP rolls everything is great BUT out of nowhere, Ajantis and Shar-Teel have decided that they hate each other and started a fight. They remain IN the party (green colored), so I can still control them and move them away, but as soon as they are near they attack each other. Already tried resting, travelling and kicking both of them out.

This is very inconvenient and annoying and I don't know what to do. Even if I don't want to, I may have to let Shar-Teel go. Will Ajantis try to kill Edwin as well?
    So if anyone has any idea, please share.
    AFAIK Ajantis will go postal on evil party members sooner or later. So yes, Edwin too.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    edited May 2013
    I just loaded SCS and have started a no reload with it.

My character roll was: 9478 | 063 (27,26,14,28,18)

Female, Elf, Thief -> ShadowDancer | choose alignment (I chose NE), 6 re-rolls (I got an 85 as my best), female voice 2. (I am starting to wonder about the whole random thing when most of my [successful] play-throughs so far have been elven females).

My companions: Xan, Viconia, Kagain, Xzar, Montaron (this list is why I chose NE)

We made it all the way through the mines and basilisks and managed to kill Tranzig back in Beregost. I'm not really going to post a lot on this one unless/until I get further (bandit camp perhaps, maybe cloakwood).

Shadow Dancer is pretty cool though.
    dstoltzfusMortiannaLemernis
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    @Fighting_Ferret, great roll.
    Mortianna
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    @Lemernis I was on Chapter 4, at the third level of the Cloakwood Mines, and the time was 41 days 4 hours. Dexter has got me beat however, as he made it all the way to chapter 5.

All right, forget next week, this is fun. On that note, does anyone know a way to keep Minsc and Edwin from fighting? 3(!) of my new party rolls put them together, while the other 2 had Rasaad. No matter what I choose, it looks like I'll be playing with a 5 member party or its equivalent...
    I believe if you go rescue Dynaheir first before speaking to either you can keep both Minsc and Edwin.
    Dexter said:

Ok I need some advice. I'm running a no reload SCS challenge and, as I've posted, I made to chapter 5. After clearing cloakwood mines I decided to farm some xp, gold and items before going to baldurs gate, you know, it's better if everybody is level 7, isn't it?
    Despite some lame HP rolls everything is great BUT out of nowhere, Ajantis and Shar-Teel have decided that they hate each other and started a fight. They remain IN the party (green colored), so I can still control them and move them away, but as soon as they are near they attack each other. Already tried resting, travelling and kicking both of them out.

This is very inconvenient and annoying and I don't know what to do. Even if I don't want to, I may have to let Shar-Teel go. Will Ajantis try to kill Edwin as well?
    So if anyone has any idea, please share.
    I was wondering when the wrinkle of scripted fights might show up in some players' games. (I have yet to see it happen, but most of my games in for this challenge don't get very far, lol.) Yep, Ajantis can be a problem. Imagine making it to the final battle and having this happen just before it! But it's all part of the challenge.
    Dexter
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    @Lemernis I didn't see that coming. I like Shar-Teel better, but she had the worst HP rolls ever (29HP level6) and I've already given Ajantis the Tome of Leadership and Constitution, so I'm gonna kick her.
    Change of plans, I'm going to rush into the main quest before Ajantis picks a fight with Edwin, just to see how far I get.
    I'll let you know what happens.
    So from my last set of five rolls I'm going with

4603 198
    LG male gnome Fighter/Illusionist (9 re-rolls - Male5)
    Kagain
    Branwen
    Shar-teel (dual to Thief at Fighter 3)
    Viconia
    Alora

and I rolled 85 for Abilities, which is nice.

As for distribution of points the gnome's racial advantage of possible 19 Int is very attractive, since that confers a 95% chance to successfully learn spells.

Also, in a no-reload game it's riskier to have such a character on the front line as a meleer. (I would normally have a Fighter/Mage dual-wield swords.) So I'm thinking ranged weapons is probably the way to go for him.

I would love to eventually have him using the Light Crossbow of Speed and Bolts of Biting, but the risk of taking on all the unnecessary fights to acquire the cash to buy those will more likely than not end in a game-ending battle.

Anyway, what Ability scores and weapons profs would you recommend for him? And what weapons profs would you assign?

Here's what I'm tentatively thinking:

Str 18
    Dex 18
    Con 10 (HP on level-up is same for Con 7-14)
    Int 19
    Wis 10
    Cha 10

Darts ++
    Longbow ++ (use composite longbow and eventually Deadshot)

And I can't recall now whether the Str damage bonus is added for missiles (here arrows and darts). If it isn't, then I might take some points from Str and move them to Con so that he doesn't have to rest as often. But that said, I'm not at all concerned with speed of the game. As for me, I'm just competing against my own personal best for how far I can get.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Lemernis

Since you asked, you should be going with STR 18/DEX 18/CON 18/INT 19/WIS X/CHA Y If you want to avoid penalties you need 11 WIS and 8 CHA, meaning you have to lower some attributes (I don't recommend that, the penalties are insignificant).

I believe darts and sling do add STR bonus to dmg.
    edited May 2013
    @FinneousPJ But do I really need 18 Con for a back row spellcaster and ranged weapon fighter? I'm going to be keeping him out of harm's way as much as possible (always protect the quarterback!). I was thinking to have just enough Con to not have to rest all the time. Just with the normal HP available (no adjustment) he should have enough to survive the occasional arrow. Mind you, he can cast Armor and will also have a Familiar (for the HP boost). So I figured 10(-ish) should be fine for Con.

If he gets the damage modifier for Darts, I think I will keep Str at 18 for sure.

I guess I could move some points from Cha and/or Con over to Wis...
    edited May 2013
    @Lemernis Sure, maybe. However, this is a no-reload challenge - more HP is more HP ;) - and there's basically no reason not to have 18 CON - you don't need 10 WIS/CHA for anything.

Let's do a quick analysis. At level 1 you always get max HP so

10 CON 18 CON
    HP 7 10

At level 5/5 average HP

10 CON 18 CON
    HP 27 46

If I understand dual class HP rolls correctly.
    Post edited by FinneousPJ on
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

I believe if you go rescue Dynaheir first before speaking to either you can keep both Minsc and Edwin.

I'm not sure it matters whether or not you take Minsc to get Dyna - I think as long as you have Dyna in the party before you talk to Edwin you can keep all 3.

@Wanderon Hm, I'm not sure either.
    Hey, why don't you try it for one time.
    edited May 2013

Hey, why don't you try it for one time.

Lol! I wish I could. :D I'm just being anal about it, I realize. Oh well, the game is already underway.

I'm just hoping to make it past the bandit tent for once, which is the farthest I have ever gotten in a no-reload game (this challenge or any other). Hopefully I can maintain my focus in keeping him out of the direct line of fire with this party. Again, the hope is that I can keep him safely in the back row using spells, and using the bow or hurling darts.

I'm not sure If want to try living just a little dangerously, though, and seeing if his familiar might also cast some spells now and again.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    edited May 2013
    As I become familiar with Auto-pause on Enemy Sighted I realize it is akin to stealth. You can back off from an enemy and move around. That, to me, is kinda cheat-ish... I mean, it basically makes any character capable of scouting...

The challenge is so tough to start with that I'm now relying on it just to have a fighting chance. But it also strips away a layer of that raw danger that makes no-reload games so riveting.

I used it just one time to avoid the wolf just outside of Candlkeep. But it feels wrong, lol.

I expect to keep using it because I seem to keep getting my ass handed to me by this challenge, lol. But I'm ambivalent about it!

I dunno, I'd like to return to "Purist" style. But in my current game I won't have a character with stealth until Shar-Teel duals at Fighter 3.

Well, whatever. Just making the observation that the feature makes any character a scout, in effect.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    @Lemernis

Auto-pause can possibly be abused, like a lot of things in the game (say cheese!). It can also allow you to actually set up a strategy. But I usually run either my tank or my stealthed scout up front, so I usually don't cheat the auto-pause feature. On rare occasions (formations really stink) a mage gets up front and it is nice to run back as the fighters rush forward. A lot of times I use it to keep my group close to my scouting unit.

ou could argue that most times meta-gaming knowledge is even more powerful that auto pause as you already know that you need a certain strategy to beat a group of enemies or what areas to avoid entirely.

Use it how you like, if it feels cheesy to use it for scouting, then always run with your tank up front and fight everything you come across. It will still alert you to enemies being there and that you need to take action... don't want Xan charging in with his moonblade, send him off to the side as your other fighters go to engage. Forget to switch back to your ranged weapon vs that ogre beserker...better to notice before he hits you then after (especially with the HP rolls I had in my 2 games).
    Lemernis said:

Lol, believe me, this is just a tic of mine, but even in an all-out meta-gamed no-reload challenge I'm too much of a roleplayer at heart to run a main character with 6 Wis and 6 Cha. I can't bring myself to do it!

Me too for the most part - 8 is about my low limit but occasionally I'll go with 7 - or if I have 2 stats maybe a 7 & 8 depending on the character/class/back story.

That said - for normal (non-challenge) campaigns I just keep rolling until it's not an issue...LOL

Breif Walrry & Co Update:

Decided we needed to gain some experience and cash before heading to the Bandit camp so we did Melicamp, Bassilus, Silke, and the dwarf assassin at the Red Sheaf and grabbed wand of sleep and a dozen heal potions.

Since we blew it with Vascona I gave Khalid a second pip in axe when he made level 3 and bought him 5 of those retort +1 throwing axes and switched the top one to melee for him to use.

Not having very good luck with HP rolls - Khalid is level 3 with 27, Viccy level 4 with 17, Rasaad level 3 with 15, Walrry is OK I think at level F1/T2/M1 with 15 counting his familiar - Imoen did good at level 3 with 22.

It took us just 3 hours short of 5 days to complete these quests with the party currently in Beregost at 14 days 11 hours.

Speaking of time passing I've been noticing that sometimes time passes while the game is paused - I did a quick save and paused before starting this post - I just returned to the game and checked the clock - the game was still paused - the time was 14 days 17 hours...

I plan to reload the quick save for my next session (getting those 6 lost hours back) - does anyone think thats an exploit of the speed rules?
    I think reloading is fine if and only if you hit a bug or some other, mechanical problem with the software. I think this counts if that's what happened.
    dstoltzfus

I think reloading is fine if and only if you hit a bug or some other, mechanical problem with the software. I think this counts if that's what happened.

I started a thread to see if anyone knows if the game clock is supposed to stop or continue when the game is paused.
    Wanderon said:

...I plan to reload the quick save for my next session (getting those 6 lost hours back) - does anyone think thats an exploit of the speed rules?

Not an exploit when there's a technical glitch, a reload is warranted, for sure.
    edited May 2013
    @Dexter My hat is off to you for making it that far with SCS installed! Great run!
    Dexter