Skip to content

[MOD] More Style for Mages (v1.56)

Comments

• Gel87Gel87 Member Posts: 158
    Pecca said:

@Gel87: Staff gets bonuses even when used as ranged, but magical damage of the missile is fixed to a certain amount and doesn't get bonus from proficiency. If you want to use entangle effect, just find that effect in the entangle spell (effect 154) and copy it over to the staff's ranged ability (and adjust duration).

-I'm not sure if making specific weapon thaco progress is possible. I guess it's possible to create these effects via scripting, but that would be quite complicated and might not work properly anyway (you can try to edit THAC0.2DA file to set the progression, but that works only for all weapons). But starting bonus is easy, just edit RACETHAC.2DA file. Also you can edit WEAPPROF.2DA file to set maximum stars for specific weapons and class.

-Wings are considered as helmet and their animation too. I don't know how it works exactly, but the only way I can see this done is by combining each frame of wings and horned helmet bams into a single one. That would require a lot of work unfortunately.

Thanks a lot :D It looked very easy to modify there yes :D When it comes to ranged staff, i tryed to modify a staff in bg2 now into ranged without to much copying, i failed, but i guess its a minor fault i did, i guess i can make it work both ways(magical and normal) :D

How much work are we talking? Entire redesign? Or "just" add J7(wich is animation for kiel's helm) in the script to the wings? I tryed to add both in nearinfity but that dident work ;d
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    @Gel87: The sprite for a helmet (wings as well) consists of 14 bam files with almost 3000 individual frames. In your case they begin with WQMZW and WQMJ7. You would need to manually combine these two into one (I don't know if there are any programs that would ease this work, but essentially, you would need to go frame by frame).
    Pecca said:

@Gel87: The sprite for a helmet (wings as well) consists of 14 bam files with almost 3000 individual frames. In your case they begin with WQMZW and WQMJ7. You would need to manually combine these two into one (I don't know if there are any programs that would ease this work, but essentially, you would need to go frame by frame).

Okay, then I give up that project with horns ;d

I got 1 more question if thats ok. Whenever i copy a item in nearinfinity, and then modify the new item. Then the old item wich i copied from also changes stats. How can i make new items/spells wich doesent effect old ones?

And is it possible to copy a entire class and make a new one? :P I feel that there is to few spells late in the game wich target single persons and kill with massive dmg. All save throw vs finger/symbol of death etc... Would be awsome to have some new spells ;d Preferly a new class ;d
    @Gel87: Just give the new item a different name. If you saved the original item already with changed properties, delete that item from your override folder.

You can't add new classes, only kits. You can see how to make kits here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34119/how-to-making-kit-mods-for-the-ee

You can also add new spells, similar like with items. The easiest way is to pick a similar spell, make a copy with different name and change its abilities. You will need to use WeiDU to create new text strings though.
    Pecca said:

@Gel87: Just give the new item a different name. If you saved the original item already with changed properties, delete that item from your override folder.

You can't add new classes, only kits. You can see how to make kits here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34119/how-to-making-kit-mods-for-the-ee

You can also add new spells, similar like with items. The easiest way is to pick a similar spell, make a copy with different name and change its abilities. You will need to use WeiDU to create new text strings though.

Can you help me in this topic, i did try to make a new item with help from weidu, but it failed it looks like, i cant access its new name/descr. from eekeeper, and i cant access it from near infinity. I followed the guide and compressed it into a .rar file :P
  • megwmegw Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for making this.
  • SlytherzSlytherz Member Posts: 45
    This question has quite possibly been answered, (several times.) However, I am far too lazy to read every comment and find of page turned no results. Yet, I digress.

How is damage calculated? Is it based off of dexterity for chance to hit etc? Is the damage multiplier based off of strength? Considered a melee or ranged weapon? Any other questions, (I missed) or information I may be needing would be greatly appreciated!

I was looking at starting an Elf Enchanter with this mod due to the +1 dexterity for ranged staff damage.

One more fairly noob question, (haha) the Dragon buff on the staff, is that primarily for my Dragon Disciple?
    @Slytherz: The staff has melee and ranged abilities. While in melee mode, it's no different from regular staffs, having strength based to hit and damage roll. In the ranged mode, it has dexterity based to hit roll and fixed amount (2-4 + enchantment bonus) of magic damage (that's why you see 0-0 damage in the inventory info screen).

The dragon disciple staff should be usable only by dragon disciple, but there is no usability flag for DS or sorcerer so it's usable by generalist mage, sorcerer and dragon disciple.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Any chance of an Update for IWD:EE these Items are to nice to be missing around the spine of the world ;)
    @Darkensun: Definitely will be, but I have problems with WeiDU. I might need to wait for the next version.
  • DrPixelzDrPixelz Member Posts: 4
    Love this mod, worked for me in the past, but now when my char wears a robe (be it an elf or human) she still has that horrid colouring on her leg :(
    @DrPixelz: I'm not sure what you mean, I haven't changed that component in a long time (and human female mage never had colored leg, only elf and half-elf). Robes still have item abilities to change their appearance when the component is installed. Give me more detail about what happened to you.
    edited November 2014
    Cheers for the reply. I just mean the leg gets 'coloured' when using the 'hood no cape' & 'hood and cape' versions of the robes, my char is an elf tho :) so I guess thats my issue.
    I just read your op and thought it removed it for elves altogether... Also as for it happening to humans, i think I used eekeeper to change to human but still got the same results, however I just made an actual human char and it is indeed fine with that one, just not my poor elf :(

EDIT: I ramble, so basically, your mod is working as intended and I'm just an idiot..! But, can i get confirmation that the elfs legs are indeed supposed to be coloured?
    @DrPixelz: Yeah, the only robe with no-colored leg for elves is the one with no hood and no cape.
    Aye, thanks for replyin so quick and setting me straight there mate, I feel a wee bit silly for bringing it up in the first place now!
    Cheers again.
    No worry. :) The horrible colored leg is the sole reason I created that component. Because changing graphics would be just too much work unfortunately.
    Ye I can only imagine mate, that component you created IS indeed a godsend though, not to mention the mod as a whole. I thank you again, for the mod and your time good sir!
    Pecca
  • firebringerfirebringer Member Posts: 25
    This is really nice, thanks so much for your effort! One issue: it plays fine on PC, but when I copy all the files from the override folder on my PC to the same folder on my iPad, the description strings are messed up (I think one just says 'REGROUP!'). Is there any way to fix these strings on the iPad? If I keep using the mod on the iPad will the game become more corrupted as I go along or will the problems be limited to just the staff descriptions?

Regardless , thanks again!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @firebringer‌ - All the item descriptions (and dialogs, creature names, etc..) are stored in the dialog.tlk file. This file is only editable on the iPad if your iPad is "jailbroken".

If you're willing to live with the item descriptions being messed up, it shouldn't harm the game.
    Pecca
  • firebringerfirebringer Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the info....garbled item descriptions on the iPad are a small price to pay for this great mod!
    New version 1.4 is up. The mod is now compatible with IWD:EE, staffs and circlets are added to Orrick's shop.
    Kerthal
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    Pecca said:

New version 1.4 is up. The mod is now compatible with IWD:EE, staffs and circlets are added to Orrick's shop.

That's great news! Thanks ^^

• Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited November 2014
    Apologies if this has been brought up in the thread before, but when you set the staffs to "Ranged" mode, are you supposed to see colored ball projectiles like in the posted screenshots? I'm using the latest version of this mod and running it in IWDEE, and I'm not seeing any sort of projectile when attacking enemies with the staff. The staff does inflict damage, though.

In case it helps, in addition to this mod, I'm also using the Duskblade kit, the IWDEE Kitpack, and Scales of Balance. I also installed the WeiDU version of this mod.
    @Swifty_Magee: Yes, you are supposed to see colored ball projectiles. But I just checked and I can see them in my game. It may be incompatible with some other mod, but I don't see which one would alter missiles. At first, see if the staff with pink head shoots pink projectile, as that one is original projectile file and animation. For other colors, you must have "SPMAGM02.PRO" and "SPMAGM02.BAM" files with numbers 02 to 07 in your override file. If there are none, then it's an error in the installation process. If they are present, check the BAM files in Near Infinity, if they have correct visual. If they don't, you can copy them from MFSM installation folder to your override (they are in bg2wstaf folder). Try this and let me know how it ended.
    While checking this problem, I noticed that some staffs show incorrect strings for on-hit effects in IWD:EE. I'll try fix this soon.
    Swifty_Magee
    edited November 2014
    @Pecca I uninstalled all the mods and More Style ran fine. Now I'm testing it with my other mods and it seems like the problem is that it's incompatible with IWDEE Kitpack. So I'm uninstalling IWDEE Kitpack component by component to try to see if I can find out where the issue lies that way. I'll post back when I'm done.
    edited November 2014
    @Pecca I found out that the IWDEE Kitpack component "Icepriest of Auril" causes the projectile problem. You can have the component "Additional dialog for Icepriest of Auril" installed and that won't cause a problem, but it seems like the actual Icepriest of Auril kit is the issue.

I've installed the rest of my other mods (Duskblade kit, the other components of IWDEE Kitpack, and Scales of Balance) and the staffs show visible projectiles, so it definitely seems like the Icepriest of Auril kit has some incompatible part with More Style for Mages.
    @Swifty_Magee: Interesting. Have you tried to install this mod after IWDEE kitpack?
    edited November 2014
    I can see it now. IWD:EE kitpack doesn't update projectl.ids file but copy one pre-made directly to the override. So if you install MFSM after Kitpack they both should run fine.
    Swifty_Magee