Skip to content

Dragon Age III Announced: Will you buy?

deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
Bioware has announced is releasing Dragon Age III. http://dragonage.bioware.com/inquisition/
Are you going to give it a chance?
  1. Dragon Age III Announced: Will you buy?283 votes
    1. Will pre-order as soon as I can
      10.25%
    2. Will probably cave in and buy it on release date
        7.77%
    3. Will wait until more information is released about the game then decide
      15.55%
    4. Will wait for trusted reviews to come out and decide then
      22.61%
    5. Will wait for a good sale price
      12.72%
    6. Will not purchase it
      24.38%
    7. What's Dragon Age?
        1.77%
    8. another poll... must resist answering... but want to know results...
        4.95%

Comments

• WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Bought DA:O for $7 used last week and it was stolen out of my car. Won't play DA2 cause I've only heard bad things about it. DA3 just looks like EA ran their claws through it and they'll probably ask for my first born so I can play the game. I'll probably buy DA3 once it's $7 and I remind myself to bring it inside after I purchase it.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'll wait for the reviews from Gamebanshee and the RPG Codex, they're usually pretty indepth and as far as I know, haven't been bought or blackmailed by EA (Be nice or lose all preview and interview possibilities).

If they've gone back to the DA:O feel, I'll get it.
    But they probably haven't.
    So I probably won't.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Even if this is a good game, which I highly doubt, I will not buy it. They still owe me my money back for DA2.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Not interested.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I'll buy it at some point when it is on sale, but not when it first gets released.

I'll probably pick DA3 up in a 99p sale one of the days in the distant future.

DA2 was quite polarising, apparently, so I more or less disregarded the reviews and just played it for myself. It was... okay, but nothing toward the level of hype that BioWare made it out to be. DA3 will probably require Origin, so I'll pass if that is the case (I don't even know how many games I have on Origin - I think it's just Mass Effect 3, but there could be the free version of Battlefield 3 I got with my Rampage Extreme IV).
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    It's Dragon Age. Enough said. I might wait for a good sale price, it depends. But I will buy DA3 nonetheless.
  • I've generally enjoyed every game Bioware has put out, including all of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series up to this point, but I'm still leery of Origin. If it will require Origin (which seems likely) then I may pass, although if there are indications that EA is getting less ban-happy with Origin then this might be the game to get me to cave and pick it up.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2013
    I tried to get into DA:O. It didn't capture me. Heard bad things about DA2 and reinforced what I didn't like about it. It just seems like the gameplay and style is not something that appeals to me.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Too many variables here, and a lot of deal-breakers.

The biggest is the push for multi-player (for me); if playing MP affects the SP campaign in any way, I will not buy it.

Second, and nearly as important, is if the game plays like a console game. If so, I will also take a pass. I don't want Mass Age/Dragon Effect. I loved both originals, but for different reasons. I love ice cream and pizza, too, but I don't throw a slice of the latter into the blender with a scoop of the former for a reason.

The next issue is that I have to wait longer, as the initial reviews will mostly be if the game was pretty/fun at the beginning.

Anyway, I won't buy it early because I expect loads of $5-10 DLC. New RPG's don't have a lot of replay value IMO, so I don't want to play it and then feel an urge to repeat, just to see what comes next. I actually bought DA][ DLC, but haven't replayed the game (and haven't wanted to). I waited on ME3 and played it as a package (except for the MP nonsense) and plan to do the same with DA][.

DA:O expansion was fine for me, as it was an expansion that carried on after the first.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2013
    I'm highly unlikely to buy it. I never bought DA2. I will, however, follow the buzz about it in forums and review sites. The one thing that might change my mind would be a consensus that the devs returned to the spirit and gameplay of the original. However, I don't foresee Bioware bucking the current trend toward consolization and returning to their roots.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I actually liked DA2 OK, despite its clear problems. I did feel like DA2 was robbed of being what it should've been, but I still played through it 3-4 times. I liked the characters pretty well.

I'll pre-order if there's a good incentive, but failing that I'll wait until a "better than DA2" buzz starts happening, as a "worse than DA2" outcome wouldn't be great.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    After the horribly botched and forced third act of DA2, I pretty much gave up on that fandom. (Especially after hearing nothing but bad things about the overpriced DA2 DLCs, which I didn't bother to get).
    If I ever feel the need to return to Thedas, I'll install and try out that 'more companions' mod for DA:O. Recruiting Jowan is one of those things I really wanted to do, and was VERY peeved that I couldn't.

On unrelated note, is there a mod out there that allows you to target allies with hostile spells and enemies with benign ones?
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    The mere fact that it hasn't been released yet is encouraging, DA2's biggest problem was that is was a shameless rush job.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    After the ending of Mass Effect 3 I vowed that Bioware will never get another cent from me. No thanks.

That being said, DA:O is still one of the best games I ever played.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2013
    I never bought DA2 and only briefly played DA: Awakenings. I beat DA1 though a few times. It was alright but lacking in a lot of key areas in my mind (this so called "civil war" was rarely actually seen). I just wasn't all that interested in what DA2 offered and I guess my purchase will depend on how good the game is.
    DA2 (probably) would've been a lot better if it wasn't released incomplete, I guess that is kind of a 'duh' thing to say, but in my mind the biggest flaws in DA2 aren't what is already there but what it is lacking.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    No. I was never interested in the series and I doubt that anything will change about that.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    For accuracy (and the scientist in me), you should add "will not play or purchase it". Simply saying that you will not purchase it does not rule out the fact that you might play it at a friend's house for free. (This addendum is what I would actually choose).
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Syntia13 said:

After the horribly botched and forced third act of DA2, I pretty much gave up on that fandom. (Especially after hearing nothing but bad things about the overpriced DA2 DLCs, which I didn't bother to get).

Whatever else you have to say about DA2, the DLCs were NOT the problem. Legacy and Mark of the Assassin are the best content available for that game.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I like Dragon Age Origins, I still got Awakenings and Dragon Age 2 on the Shelf. Might be a long time before I finished them all. I'm not a fast player. Like in BG, I run multiple playthroughs simultaneously, so I've got 6 Warden's now, none of which have even reached the Landmeet.

So not in a few years time. I wait till the price drops below €19,- or less. Even then, it might be a waste of money: bought Awakenings for €19,- but even before getting around to playing I bought the Ultimate Edition because it was the cheapest way to add all DLC for €19,-.

And: will I be able to play DA3 without intrusive Origin? With DA:O, I opted for the disc-check DRM as least intrusive version of running the game, my game isn't linked to Steam or Origins.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    I will wait for an eternity and torment myself before I buy DA3
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I've greatly enjoyed both DA:O and DA2, but my faith in BioWare took a bit of a dip with the whole ME3 controversy. For DA3, I'll wait to get a general sense of what the game contains and make a decision then.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I'm expecting it to be poor, but I'm totally willing to be pleasantly surprised. I liked Origins as much as BG to be honest, so I'll always be willing to consider the possibility that the series can recover from DA2.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    I actually liked DA:O so I'll see when more info comes out. Since this is published by EA, if they release it with that idiotic 'always on' DRM I will refuse to buy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I don't know. I tend towards 'no' mainly because both DA 2 and ME 3 really disappointed me. Bioware can do better, but I just get the feeling they've lost view of their audience and are too much focused on a badly definable 'broad audience'. Their recent games certainly show this. There's this kind of...soullessness in those games, somehow. It doesn't feel as if the games are pulling you in as much anymore as they used to. This could just be my own twisted perception, though. I just hope DA 3 doesn't become too much of a Skyrim-clone. Also, if the game requires Origin DRM, I won't buy it.

There's this kind of...soullessness in those games, somehow. It doesn't feel as if the games are pulling you in as much anymore as they used to. This could just be my own twisted perception, though.

I was pretty invested in ME3. I was even invested in DA2 in spite of my disappointment with it. I would imagine you are mostly frustrated more than anything, like the DRM hell you mentioned.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I'd need to beat both Dragon Ages still... So I doubt I'll buy it at release if I end up buying it.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @State_Lemming: Well, I'm not really frustrated. The games just don't pull me in like Baldur's Gate did when I played it for the first time. With pulling in, I mean that you really get into the game and forget the passing of time. DA:O also got me really invested, yet it also was different. It's hard to explain. I like both BG and DA:O equally, though. As for the DRM, Origin, I just don't need more useless software installed on my PC. Steam's enough. It's also just more flexible and contains a bigger game catalogue than Origin, which is still more EA-games specific.