Skip to content

Monster Mash Up... (with gravy)

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
Okay... Here is my thinking...

Since I have changed my avatar picture to that of a mummie, I have come to realise that there is a lack of mummies in BG:EE.

I now find this as not only a shame, but as a detriment to the game as a whole.

Now we do find mummies in BG2 and we are most gladsome in this... But if we did have the power to bring the mummification process into BGEE and bring about the chance for CHARNAME to die at the bandaged hands of a mummie, surely the game would be greater in its appeal?

As you can see, this is some very narrow minded thinking on my part. Please don't be harsh, they remove your brain as part of the mummification process early on as it is moist... And we mummies detest moisture! But excuse me for spouting rot... Back to the question in hand... I realised that I was biased and needed to expand the possibilities.

Below is a list of monsters. I have tried to choose monsters that could be met and defeated by a character below level 10. I have tried to keep it fun... But perhaps you have a pressing need to kill more of something. Let the community know. I have also included the blessed 'other' option, please state the monster and your reasons and cause of personal obsession below...

So... What Monster or monster type would you like to see more of in BGEE?
  1. Monster Mash Up... (with gravy)56 votes
    1. Kobolds. What! Are you some kind of Kobold Killing Sadist! Surely you would not want MORE Kobolds?
        1.79%
    2. Goblins. The classic low level monster fodder that we all know and love. Eat yer greens. They are good for you. Or just leave there bloated rotting corpses for the crows...
        7.14%
    3. Orcs. We now have a goblin war camp... How about an Orc war camp. Or Waaaaagh! Camp.
      19.64%
    4. Wolves. We have no fire variety... Yet anyone can set a dog on fire? (Comedic value only! Do not set fido on fire!)
        0.00%
    5. Diseased Dragon. A Dragon in full health should wipe the floor of any character not cheating in BGEE. However a Dragon that has eaten a Gibberling that tasted odd...
      12.50%
    6. Mummies. The only monster to carry the 'wrapped in bog roll' look with style and finesse.
      12.50%
    7. Dopplegangers. Problem is... you would never know if more were put in the game...
        1.79%
    8. Werebear. Everyone loves these little cuddly Drizzt eating lovelies. Perhaps they should replace those Gnolls that Drizzt was supposed to be having problems with...
      19.64%
    9. Ethereal Filcher. Everyone wants to lose their favourite weapon!
        0.00%
    10. Other. Your chance to make an educated and sensible decision.
      25.00%

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    And for a short time only... Mummies led the Poll by 100%
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Anything but werebears, really. Maybe except for Diseased Dragon, because the concept of the creature seems too comical to be implemented.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    I like exploding weak things with fireballs. It's one of the few times when playing that your characters feel stupidly powerful.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Not sure how you'd do it given the lack of flight as an option and the fact that they are neutral good, but it would be cool to see Aarakocra added to the game. Even if it were just a few.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    A thread about a guy asking for his mummies. :P
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Mimics.

I know there is ONE in BG2, but I think it'd be cool if there was actually some random house in the city of baldur's gate that comes alive when the party goes in to loot it. Only to have the owner come back in once they're all destroyed saying how the party just destroyed all of his new furniture he got delivered just last weekend.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Watcher's Keep had several animated boxes iirc.

A troll would be damn funny in bg1, no flaming +1 sword! Hope you brought fire arrows
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Mummies know how to die in style! I can appreciate that.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Dao, djinni and efreeti!

An additional adventure with some eastern treasure. Genie granting your wishes, beautiful art and music. It would be amazing to hear an ominous laugh followed by "State your wish, mortal" in BGEE.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Ethereal Filcher sounds a bit dirty.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Aboleth would be my first choice, although they may be more approciate for BG2:EE.

Other than that I'm all ears for including female centaurs, female driders, foxwoman, harpies, one or two hags, nagas, (wo)manscorpions, medusas, merwoman, gynosphinxes, selkies, and sylphs. C'mon, throw a ball to the lonely monster dudes already!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I thought the Egyptian style architecture and undead under Athkatla were kind of odd. Though if you want mummies I guess you need that kind of precedent.

Is anyone aware of some kind of Amnish history that supports that? And, could you count things like Bog bodies as potential mummies?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Werebears. Always werebears. They are the answer to everything.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Rust monster of course.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013

I thought the Egyptian style architecture and undead under Athkatla were kind of odd. Though if you want mummies I guess you need that kind of precedent.

Is anyone aware of some kind of Amnish history that supports that? And, could you count things like Bog bodies as potential mummies?

From what I've been able to read online, along with a bit of total guesswork.

Athkatla was settled over a thousand years before the period that Baldur's Gate 2 is concerned with. It was settled by Calishites (people who came from the desert and swamp lands). I guess its possible that they brought that kind of Egyptian-esque architecture, art, and tomb construction with them when they came to settle the area. Overtime, due to mud slides or the area simply being appealing enough for people to want to live there people simply built overtop of older structures. So any of their structures that were still remaining (along with their tombs) became underground.
    edited July 2013
    @ajwz said:

Ethereal Filcher sounds a bit dirty.

Yet is a monster that can be found in the Monster Manual 3.5 at least... Have not got an earlier book :(
    They look like a huge blue mouth with 3 filching hands to grope and purloin artifacts from adventures...

Yes it does sound wrong.

Energy-draining undead, like wights, wraiths, spectres, and vampires. Since clerics now have access to Negative Plane Protection and Lesser Resoration, it seems like a waste that they don't have a chance to use those spells in the game. Since characters are of lower levels in BGEE, it would be an added challenge that I think would be welcomed by veteran players. Undead Hunters and Blackguards would become more valuable to the party as well. The Ulcaster Ruins, Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower, and the Undercity in Baldur's Gate might be appropriate places to encounter them.

Come to think of it, mummies would be great as well, and would make the Cure Disease spell more relevant.

Overall, I'd like to see a greater variety of undead in the game.

This is the kind of insightful wonder comment that makes deranged monster threads worthwhile. Super comment! Plus I am going to accept your answer as half a mark for the mummies...

A troll would be damn funny in bg1, no flaming +1 sword! Hope you brought fire arrows

I think a single troll would make a good end boss somewhere... Perhaps somehow slowed... Or entangled on the same map you find the red wizards?

Mummies know how to die in style! I can appreciate that.

They die in so much style they erect vast Pyramids above us to mark the spot!

Great stuff! The Werebear's are winning, it could also be implemented as there is a sprite/animation for it! The other option is doing well also with some great ideas. I would be very afraid of a rust monster @FinneousPJ Perhaps it could eat the helmets of adventures before the main attack monsters would crit the adventurers to death... However, I am unsure if a sprite/animation exists :/

Keep them ideas rolling... And remember a free cookie to anyone who votes mummie! Remember they are the only monster with their own day in the calender!

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Rust monster of course.

Aw yeah just stick them in the mines, and screw the poisoning process.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

Rust monster of course.

Hell yeah that'd be hardcore; after all it's essentially the first dungeon in the game :D
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Rust monster of course.

What BG needed was more screw overs (uninterruptible spells, suicidal lightning mages, kobold ****ing commandos...) to incite rage quitting. Heh, rust monsters would be funny for Druids though. ;)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    DreadKhan said:

Heh, rust monsters would be funny for Druids though. ;)

Not even them: Scimitars.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    I'm voting werebear, but only for the actual werebears that appeared in the monstrous manual. What started the whole "drizzt eaten by a werebear" thing anyway?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2013
    Mortianna said:

Energy-draining undead, like wights, wraiths, spectres, and vampires. Since clerics now have access to Negative Plane Protection and Lesser Resoration, it seems like a waste that they don't have a chance to use those spells in the game. Since characters are of lower levels in BGEE, it would be an added challenge that I think would be welcomed by veteran players. Undead Hunters and Blackguards would become more valuable to the party as well. The Ulcaster Ruins, Candlekeep Catacombs, Durlag's Tower, and the Undercity in Baldur's Gate might be appropriate places to encounter them.

Come to think of it, mummies would be great as well, and would make the Cure Disease spell more relevant.

Overall, I'd like to see a greater variety of undead in the game.

I agree %100! I used dltcep to add wraiths and shadows to Durlag's tower. I copied the cre files from blackpits and gave them xp reward. They use some funky script, as the few seconds after my party enters a lower level, they all come through locked doors and walls and surround and attack the party! The terror!

To compensate I added greater restoration spell to big temples like Song of the Morning. Oh and Erdane sells a couple restoration scrolls outside Durlag.

I also added a spectre near each treasure coffin in Candlekeep catacombs. I copied the cre file from bg2. It is fun and creepy, spectres are more powerful than wraiths, and they resemble ghostly human mages..perfect for them to be guarding their tombs and treasures. Got the spectre touch item file from bg2 too, so they can have their fearsome energy draining touch that steals 2 levels/hit. (Very scary in bg1 lvls!)

I added a few mummies to Ulcaster school, got the cre file from bg2. They are the ancient and revered teachers corpses that were preserved well in the dusty halls. Mummies are suprisingly challenging and give plenty of xp for bg1 lvls. I even gave them a script to cast hold person once, to simulate the pnp paralysing fear effect. Got the mummy weapon item file too, so they have that horrible mummy rot touch attack. Still they are not that difficult if you have a wand of fire and plenty of magical ammo.

Finally I've added a few gauths and a beholder to the twists and turns of the final thieves maze under bg, I've found that area rather dull and straight forward before.,now it is both very challenging and fun. You turn a corner and come face to face with the many eyes of a beholder:zapppp! It's the final thing you see before your body is disintegrated into a pile of rancid dust by a magical ray.

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Anduin said:

And remember a free cookie to anyone who votes mummie! Remember they are the only monster with their own day in the calender!

Does that mean I get half of a cookie? :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Mortianna said:

Anduin said:

And remember a free cookie to anyone who votes mummie! Remember they are the only monster with their own day in the calender!

Does that mean I get half of a cookie? :)
    Yes, but what he failed to mention is that the cookies were buried in his tomb with him 2000 years ago, so they're a touch stale.

But hey, free cookie!
    @Mortianna One half eaten cookie in the post!