Skip to content

To be vegan. Or not to be vegan? That is the question, inspired by a Poem...

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

@demented: you eat people? O_o

Doesn't everyone?

Because @demented‌'s comment was not in any way sarcastic or a joke at all.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I preserve them...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Anduin said:

I preserve them...

Dried meat is fine too.
    Wait...

You would eat a mummie!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Yes. Though I do prefer saltmen due to their seasoning.

Nice jerky!
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    meagloth said:

@demented: you eat people? O_o

Doesn't everyone?

Because @demented‌'s comment was not in any way sarcastic or a joke at all.
    Damn it. You ruined my chance to use this meme:

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    hmmm... already shared a Supernaturalimage but here's another from a more recent episode
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Well, that was weird. I didn't see anyone attacking you in this thread.
    edited December 2018
    That's not an argument. It's an observation.
    edited December 2018
    Whoa there... No one is attacking you or your creed @typo_tilly .

The thread started with me sharing a poem, written in the style of Roald Dahl's Revolting nursery rhymes. Baa Baa Black Sheep was turned into Oink Oink Pink Pig. The pig kills everyone apart from the boy. He cunningly disguises himself as a sheep... and still gets roasted.

@alnair‌ , a vegan, was horrified I was teaching this. Not because of boys shooting things, but portraying the love of meat as the norm. It started a mass debate. 12 pages long. @alnair‌ was pretty patient with a lot of meat eaters blundering into bad jokes involving eating animals. Which he basically considered an insult in the same vain that you can insult someone's religious beliefs. Apologies were made on both sides. The debate raged from climate issues, what a vegan could eat, tribes of people who eat only meat. Teeth. The need for vegan Ice-cream / chocolate (vegans have it tough!) Health. Lifestyle choices.

In the end. It just boiled down to personal choice. A vegan cannot stop the death of animals eaten, or even the coincidental deaths of other living things simply caused by the big footprint of any humans habitation (loss of habitat for animals to grow crops etc)

However a meat eater is careless if he does not know his effect on the planet, where his food comes from and the effect on his health. (Something vegans are pretty much on the ball with)

I tried some vegan options (after a conversation that they can be shunned as soon as the words 'vegan option' is labelled on the food) and @BelgarathMTH‌ started a vegan diet to improve his health... hey how about an update. Are things still going good?

@alnair‌ left. A whole was ripped into the vegan side. Perhaps if you can master your anger you can take leadership of the green side in his absence?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @typo_tilly‌ tbh honest I don't really see many people here disparaging vegans in general, just those who are very loud and in your face about it. I'm sure the situations you referenced about people bringing up your lack of meat-eating then getting defensive are very frustrating (and probably fairly common), but I don't know why that is directed at anyone in this thread.
    Also I don't see many people saying that vegans are hypocrites. I know that I said quite the opposite.
    @typo_tilly‌ Why don't you look at your own posts and tell me who's defensive or attacking. Hint: You come across as very defensive and someone might even thing verging on attacks. I know full well what constitutes an argument and how to use a dictionary. I don't need you to tell me that.

Hell, I even tried a vegan diet for about a month.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really am considering closing this thread after all this time... Let's all calm down before I see no option but doing it.
    Yeah... It did not help that I missed the whole main point of my last post in saying...

It is okay to disagree on this. Feel free to pursue what you feel is right. It is a personal choice. No one should feel bad / be attacked / or be disowned by their lifestyle choices.

Works for a lot of things not just diets.

@mlnevese‌ ... A lot worse has been stated earlier in this thread. The participants have all managed to be friendly and cordial to each other in the end.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Anduin And that's why the thread is still open :)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited June 2014

Let's keep it lighthearted

How do you kill a vegetarian vampire?

With a steak to the heart

HAHA! Good god. :D

Dad jokes! They're everywhere! :D
    @BelgarathMTH‌ Maybe it's different for you, but I can share some points from my experiment:

1) Milk is not an essential product

2) "Carnivore's guilt" is not a thing, at least not for me

3) There are "traps" in the vegan diet, like peanuts and olives, that are very fatty. Beans on the other hand are brilliant. I'm still making bean chili over beef even though I abandoned the vegan diet. I agree on feeling a lot less bloated etc.

4) I agree on the restaurants, but I shrugged it off by not asking if the vegetarian dishes were vegan or not, lol

5) I never experienced the sort of negativity you describe. Perhaps you need better company?

In conclusion I also decided I can't make it. It simply wasn't worth it for me, but I'm glad I learned lots of new things, like making great sallads and the lovely bean chili.
    Amazing story @BelgarathMTH‌ ! I only thought you stopped eating meat not go the whole shebang! Good on you for following your convictions! And why worry you have fell off the wagon? Unlike alcohol and smoking, you really are not putting anyone at risk. That you followed through and took action is something to derive pride from. I'm proud of you and refuse to apologise for summoning you back here. I think @typo_tilly feels similarly to some of the points made about how others treat vegans.

I have made much, much smaller steps. I believe more in sustainability and our place within the life cycle. So... I do not dismiss the vegan option. In fact sometimes it is the best option available! I have become a big fan of meaty vegetables. Mushrooms, aubergine, marrow, that can replace meat.

I am also holidaying at a free range farm this year. As well as learning and helping to run the farm, we will be eating the produce. Okay. This may make a vegan wince. But at least, I know exactly where my food is coming from. My daughter will learn too. I am always a big fan of education!

If I do find myself in conversation with a vegan I will change the tack and talk about the tastiest meal they have had. Sometimes, just as with religion, people suddenly see the vegan and not the person.

A small help... but maybe it'll catch on...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    *sigh*
    I eat meat. I don't have a problem with anybody being vegan though. It's not my problem, and of you want to get of an especially stylish pair of leather shoes pm me:P
    I can't say I'm a fan of the way meat is raised though, but I am in no position to make any change. I guess I could "do my part" but most people won't, so F it. Not eating meat won't change the way the animals a raised anyway. It just get one farm at a time closed when the demand goes down, and puts a lot of people through a unhappy time.

I don't really have a problem with killing animals to eat(though killing for sport is certainly wrong. I am definitely an animal person.) as long as it's not wasteful(the meat industry really isn't. We pretty much use the whole animal, as far as I know.)
    It's just the way the world is. Things kill to survive. It's not perfect, but we live in a broken world.

But like I said, if you think you're making the world a better place, then kudos to you for you discipline. Your not really hurting anyone. (Except the meat farmer.... I think he'll be ok).
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Anyone who chooses a vegan diet out of guilt is making their choice for the wrong reason. Does a cougar feel guilt after catching a deer for dinner? No, of course not, and neither should we even if we are only picking out some select choices at the butcher. My advice to anyone feeling guilty over how food animals are treated needs to address *why* they are feeling guilty since they are not the person who might be mistreating the animals. The only way to avoid any guilt over using or consuming products which might have been made by mistreating either animals or humans (yes, technically humans are animals even though we shouldn't act like animals) would be to move out into the country and make all of your own clothes and grow your own food in a garden.

My advice to anyone who is getting upset at those who are vegan would be to calm down and quit worrying about other people's choices.
    edited October 2014
    @alnair‌ It is good to have you back friend!

I could remove some of my very early posts in this thread. But I think they are not inflammatory when viewed from my previous position of ignorance. Plus the apologies afterwards would not make any sense. @alnair kept a cool head and earned lots of respect! It was after all a simple poem about a pig that started this 12 page thread epic!

Congratulations on the new job @alnair‌ !

Good to have you back!
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited October 2014
    Animals , like plants , are organic robots : the sole difference is that they have a nerve system in common that enables them animation. The sole living things on this planet are us as far as I have experienced in 28 years , if that is not clear for you too. Who states it otherwise will be just too arrogant ; I mean come on , are cats and dogs or cows this stupid that in 1 million years they are still licking the pavement and you building scrapers ? No , because they don't have an "independent decision system". They are all programatically operating , and they can not act independent of what is ongoing, so don't compare yourselves to plants or animals. Not that it's an insult to you , it certainly is not if you're doing the comparison , but it will be an insult to them :)

And , apart from the robots of the planet , even if you punch a wall without a reason , you are likely to get harmed ( which I see no possible reason to punch a wall with bare fists now ). So , killing animals is the same thing as killing plants if you are killing them out of a possible reason you can give. This planet needs workers that will not think about Hawaii or Siberia every gddamn 5 minutes. Would that be you ? I don't think so.

I like my planet and the robots that occupy it , our sun is a little hot but it's good too. Do not create fantasies over them , just let it go. Eating robots are fine , as long as you keep your sanity intact and that is easy by doing nothing unreasonable. I mean what am I going to eat ? No plants , no animals ? And I think you have heard of a certain plant that also digests animated robots , what are they called ,? venus plants ? Now the nature is giving you some lessons there...

And no , animals or plants don't need you , so don't bother acting like a "mother of robots" and forcing yourself emotions. They can survive in environments your city body probably would halt. What others are doing is none of my concern , too.

And about the subject , I remembered , I don't think dinosaurs are extinct because of a starship or something such shielded it could bypass mass incineration , falling down or something. They are probably the ancient 'gold' , no one would care about you unless you had a T-Rex teeth as a necklace ? Now that is what I'm talking about when I say "unreasonable". Because survival of honesty & peace of mind is not.

Thank you.