Skip to content

[BG:EE] Battle Enhancer Mod (ver 1.33 RELEASED!)

Comments

• shadow85shadow85 Member Posts: 128
    Charan if you got time are you able to try your mod with scs and check if they are compatible. E.g spawn minsc and see if his hampster is in the inventory instead of quick item slot. And maybe change to gnoll stronghold to see if there is alot of gnolls to fight. You said that your level 5 party got owned, but when i reached there i was level 1-3 party n it was a breeze.
  • CharanCharan Member Posts: 118
    edited November 2013
    Check if you have a AT5100.ARE (I remember that Dark Horizons edits Gnoll Stronghold area) file in your override folder. If you do the chances are you have been messing with different mods that modified your gnoll stronghold. My mod does not modify this area and its spawns, so you meet exactly same amounts of enemies you would meet on VANILLA - they are just stronger and more intelligent. For SCS compatibility, you can just install SCS over my mod to make sure you have all SCS features - Battle Enhancer mod files are stand alones and you can actually remove or overwrite any file from my mod and other will work just fine.

When it comes to checking compatibility of these mods myself - sorry but I cannot help you. My intent was to make a battle enhancer introduce subtle gameplay changes via not invasive scripts and .cre starts modification, while SCS edits the game by the core - for that reason I will not use SCS for my game as i want to keep BB EE as close to vanilla as possible when it comes to features and changes.
    Post edited by Charan on
    edited November 2013
    Just tested Gnoll Stronghold on a fresh party lvl 1 to lvl 3. Quite good equipment for that level.. Well it didn't end very well... Especially when one of the Gnoll Elites used potion of cloud giant strength and started to chase Neera. When running Neera encountered two more groups of enemies and casted a Chaos version of stinking cloud in despair but that didn't help much...
    I never installed dark horizon and when i reached gnoll stronghold it was with only battle enhancer. But now i am going to try battle enhancer installed first then scs and see if things are different. Btw thanks for your frequent replies.
    edited November 2013
    That is really weird. Maybe.. just maybe you had a very improbable occurance that you didn't really spawn any random enemies when revealing fog of war. Can you re-visit the stronghold to see if you encounter any gnolls now?

Can someone else who also uses my mod visit Gnoll Stronghold and give feedback on amount of enemies found there, please?
    Post edited by Charan on
    Can you tell me how many gnoll's you faced? I just tried with only SCS installed not your mod, and there was more gnolls this time but still not very many. I remember playing BG years ago where there would be a huge bunch of gnolls stuck together every where on this map.

Anyways, I am now going to try with your mod and SCS.
    edited November 2013
    After beating the two Ogrillions, I managed to get inside the Stronghold without encountering a single gnoll. However just when my party went up the first stairs, a hell broke loose. At first it was a group of like 6-8 regular gnolls. When i backed out down the stairs, around 4 gnoll Slashers/elites were already waiting for me accompanied by several xvarts on the side. Needless to say I was surrounded so that was all that my low lvl party could discover before being beaten to pulp - TLDR it was just as expected. But still, i think you simply had a very improbable visit to this location - most enemy spawns there are random and there is a very small chance... very small chance that you would not spawn any but few encounters - and small ones too.
    edited November 2013
    I just tried with SCS and this mod, and once again there is very small spawns of gnolls and xvarts. This time the chieftan is casting defensive spells on himself, and the enemies follow me in caves if I try to escape.

I don't know why I am getting such low spawn counts. I don't know how you are getting 6-8 then more spawn as you back down. For me it seems the amount of spawns are fixed everywhere on the map, they will not spawn more if I try to move back to an area that I have already explored.

EDIT: OK, I now tried a new character, set his exp to lvl 8 and jumped to gnoll stronghold (all for testing purposes) this time around there were alot more gnolls, and they seemed alot more deadly, I equipped only fulll plate armor and a long sword and shield (with 4 pts in long sword), and tried to take on the main strong hold area, I killed at most 2 gnolls, but then the veterans and chieftan came into make short work of my single fighter. Im satisfied with this outcome now, I might finally start a new game.
  • SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    very very very impressed, I prefer u mod then SCS. U mod is more challenge then scs and is compatible 100% with all language. vote 10
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    1. Installation:
    Simply put the Override folder into your BG Enhanced edition main directory (Example for steam version: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition)
    You can instal this mod at ANY moment of the game but it is just more fun and more balance to play with it from the beginning.

D:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    This is my main directory, i put Override here and i don't see any difference in game even when i started new game ; /

- MEETING COMPANIONS AT MAX HIT POINTS ROLLS
    All companions are met at their MAX HIT points rolls, regardless of player's level.

Kivan joined to my party at 2nd level with 16 hp. He should has 20 hp. Viconia joined to my party at 2nd level with 12 hp, she should has 16 hp.

I also went to Gnoll's stronghold, at 1st level and it was the same as in vanila game...

edited November 2013
    manero said:

1. Installation:
    Simply put the Override folder into your BG Enhanced edition main directory (Example for steam version: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition)
    You can instal this mod at ANY moment of the game but it is just more fun and more balance to play with it from the beginning.

D:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    This is my main directory, i put Override here and i don't see any difference in game even when i started new game ; /

- MEETING COMPANIONS AT MAX HIT POINTS ROLLS
    All companions are met at their MAX HIT points rolls, regardless of player's level.

Kivan joined to my party at 2nd level with 16 hp. He should has 20 hp. Viconia joined to my party at 2nd level with 12 hp, she should has 16 hp.

I also went to Gnoll's stronghold, at 1st level and it was the same as in vanila game...

Obviously you are not running a Steam version of BG:EE. For Non-Steam version of BG:EE your Override folder should be located inside ..\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\data\00766\

Hope this brief explenation helps (Updating first post).
    If it didn't, here's a tutorial thread on how to get mods to work: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee
    Post edited by Charan on
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    edited November 2013
    Charan said:

Obviously you are not running a Steam version of BG:EE. For Non-Steam version of BG:EE your Override folder should be located inside ..\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\data\00766\

Battle Enhancer works. Thank you kind sir. I will enjoy your product now :)

edited November 2013
    manero said:

Charan said:

Battle Enhancer works. Thank you kind sir. I will enjoy your product now :)

Glad I could help. Will be thankfull for any feedback regarding shop prices/ drop rates/ fights difficulty/ AI behaviour
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    I wonder about this: "Some new encounters and new enemies added". What are those new enemies? Do they match perfectly to the others already in game? Screenshots would be helpful. Do they have unique names (unused by others). If so then what with compabilities with others languages? Csn you choose language version?
  • RedJoshRedJosh Member Posts: 8
    Hi Charan,

The mod works really well and has significantly improved the challenge and enjoyment I get from the game; definitely feels like you are in the middle of an iron crisis now.

Bravo :)
    edited November 2013
    Etamin said:

I wonder about this: "Some new encounters and new enemies added". What are those new enemies? Do they match perfectly to the others already in game? Screenshots would be helpful. Do they have unique names (unused by others). If so then what with compabilities with others languages? Csn you choose language version?

No new animations added. Few new creatures use name strings that existed in dialog.tlk therefore are fully compatible with all languages.
    Some of the enemies are:
    Beholders
    Guard Enfoncers (Diffrent equipment and abilitisies)
    Different branch of Black Talon Elite (Stealthy mages)
    Spectres
    etc.

This should give you an idea on what has been added but I dont want to give any specific to not spoil the game.

As for the "new encounters" - some received additional enemies that fit the overall theme but make a particular fight more challenging.
    edited November 2013
    RedJosh said:

Hi Charan,

The mod works really well and has significantly improved the challenge and enjoyment I get from the game; definitely feels like you are in the middle of an iron crisis now.

Bravo :)

Hey sorry if this is too much of a hassle but can you provide some additional information to this great feedback?:
    How long did you play with it?
    Did you start a New Game
    How many enemies have you slain with your party and have many(around) ADDITIONAL items have dropped from them so far?

Thanks
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for respond. I was just curious from which game you took new models. I played few mods which was adding monsters from IWD, PT and even Diablo (sic!) and they was standing out too much. It greatly breaks immersion.
    BTW: Is it finished or are you going to expand it?
    Post edited by Etamin on
    Hey charan, can you check if when you sell full platmail armor the shop keeper gives 3000 gold? Is that meant to be rite in an iron crysis hard times?

On the other hand the items they sell to you are hell of alot more expensive which i like.
    edited November 2013
    shadow85 said:

Hey charan, can you check if when you sell full platmail armor the shop keeper gives 3000 gold? Is that meant to be rite in an iron crysis hard times?

On the other hand the items they sell to you are hell of alot more expensive which i like.

Yeah they give 3k for full plate but charge 18k for it on average. I guess that's quite ok. I could not influence the selling prices without modifying the game too much.
    @Etamin Yes it's quite finished. Fully playable and all features are implemented. So far all bugs found are fixed on the fly. Seems quite bug free now. I'm gatheting feedback just to do a fine polishing job as I want it to be perfect. I may expand it a LITTLE by for example giving a new unique fighting style for wrights and blink dogs etc, but that's just cosmetics and will not impact already began games with the mod.

TLDR' All core features are implemented. Mod is finished. May add new fighting scripts for existing mobs in the future (nothing impactful, just fun)
  • SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    I have found a bug, when I try to go to the third lower floor of the naskel mines the game always crashes.
    Hey charan i have a few issues:

Also, west of nashkel on the map where the dryad ask's for help defend her tree against ruffian's that want to destroy it, there is alot of gnoll's north on this map that are casting prebuff spells in a loop as it appears on the log window.

When you find them on the map they are in blue circles not red and the leader is suppose to come talk to you automatically scripted but he doesnt, you have to manually go click on him n he asks for gold from you.

If you resfuse he attacks you but him and his fellow gnolls circles stay blue and the game thinks they are neutral not red circles as enemies even though they attack you.

My next issue is that I am still finding too many magical items on dead creatures. I started a new game and only upto nashkel and I have already found several powerful items such as a +2 mace, cloak of protection +1 and a +1 sword. That is far too many powerful items too quickly my party is only lvl 1-2
    Sarnind said:

I have found a bug, when I try to go to the third lower floor of the naskel mines the game always crashes.

shadow85 said:

Hey charan i have a few issues:

Also, west of nashkel on the map where the dryad ask's for help defend her tree against ruffian's that want to destroy it, there is alot of gnoll's north on this map that are casting prebuff spells in a loop as it appears on the log window.

When you find them on the map they are in blue circles not red and the leader is suppose to come talk to you automatically scripted but he doesnt, you have to manually go click on him n he asks for gold from you.

If you resfuse he attacks you but him and his fellow gnolls circles stay blue and the game thinks they are neutral not red circles as enemies even though they attack you.

My next issue is that I am still finding too many magical items on dead creatures. I started a new game and only upto nashkel and I have already found several powerful items such as a +2 mace, cloak of protection +1 and a +1 sword. That is far too many powerful items too quickly my party is only lvl 1-2

Just one more question: What monsters did drop the items? Whats your current kill count?

For the bugs: working on a fix. Shadow did your game crashed ad third level of mines too?
    Sarnid are you using currently any other mods?
    I have not got upto mines as i was exploring areas immediatly west of nashkel
    Also I wonder if it possible to make mobs of enemies who are scattered to attack all together as one unit when one of them is scouted. For example atm I am luring single creatures by slowly uncovering FOW until i see one creature then lure him back n kill him easily, as the other enemies near him are not uncovered by FOW they do not come to help him. It would be harder if one enemy is attacked the rest near him come to attack even if they are not visible on the map considering they are relativly close by.
    Was it actually working like this in Vanilla? I believe there is a SHOUT script for something like this and they are left untouched by me. I could take a look into that.
    Yes im sure it was like this in vanilla as I remember using this strat all the time many years ago playing bg. I could always defeat large mobs by luring them out one by one.
    shadow85 said:

Yes im sure it was like this in vanilla as I remember using this strat all the time many years ago playing bg. I could always defeat large mobs by luring them out one by one.

Very well. I'll look into that once I fix the gnolls you mentioned(done) and check Mulahey (I doubt that the crash was caused by my mod, but will have to check it anyway.)
    Found another bugg:
    It seems that some animals such as wolves stay blue circle as a neutral and they dont attack you,when you find them. But if you hang around for a while they eventually automatically turn red circle enemy and attack you.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Charan said:

Doesn't weide only make a backup of previous files before overwriting them with new ones? I dobut it actually merges files and scripts. It just seems prretty much impossible and requiring some thought in making.

WeiDU can overwrite files with new ones, but can also merge them (in WeiDU jargon is called "to patch a file").

Example 1: if a WeiDU mod changes only the HP of a given creature, and a second WeiDU mod changes only the THAC0 and AC, installing both of them, in whatever order, will change both HP and THAC0/AC.

Example 2: the file WeiDU is patching is already in override, because of a non-WeiDU mod previously installed, WeiDU may change only some of the properties of that file instead of replacing it entirely.

Thus, I would recommend installing WeiDU mods always after non-WeiDU mods.