Skip to content

characters you frequently use

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    I honestlly feel really weird if Imoen and Vicoinia isn't in my party in both games. I usually bring Aerie along because cleric/mage is one of my favorite dual class.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    jan the turnip gnomish engineer

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Minsc and Boo! I don't care that I don't use him very well, Minsc and his space hamster are too awesome to leave out of any party!
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    I can't stop myself from having Minsc in the party, I love the guy!

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2013
    Viconia, always.
    Imoen, always (when she's available).
    Edwin, always unless I'm a mage. With the BG1 NPC Project I tend to use Dynaheir for her well-written romance though.
    Minsc, almost always.. sometimes switched for Sarevok in ToB. And nowadays switched for Dorn in BGEE.
    Kivan, very often.. the BG1 NPC Project and the BG2 Kivan and Deheriana mod make him a greatly written character.
    Mazzy, whenever there's room.. as it's said, if valour were inches she'd be 20 feet tall.

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    BG1: Viconia and Shar-Teel, because I can have a well-rounded party with just the three of us (with Shar-Teel dualled to Thief), and because they complete the evil female alignment spectrum. Mortianna isn't a female chauvinist or a misandrist, but she does take some measure of enjoyment in witnessing the look on men's faces when they realize they're in the company of their betters. ^.~

BG2: Viconia and Korgan. They're powerful, ruthless, and have the best voice-actors, IMO. Their bickering makes for good entertainment, too.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Viconia <3
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    BG1: Kivan, Xzar, Xan. I've loved Kivan since 1999 for his badassery, and yeah, as others say it's hard not to pick up such a kickass character. Xzar is my favorite character because he's hilarious, so that makes it hard for me to refuse having him in my party. Finally Xan is quite useful in a party to use for everything that isn't blasting shit, that Moonblade is just amazing, and he's amusing as all hell.

BGII: Yoshimo, Haer'Dalis, Viconia. I know bringing Yoshi every time seems stupid for ... reasons ... but he's my favorite BGII character by far. Haer'Dalis epitomizes Bards and I like Bards sooooo. Yeah. Finally Viconia is a very well-developed character in BGII, and is furthermore a pretty effective character.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Edwin is such a beast
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    This is gonna sound laaaaame...

I do sort of try to use every NPC in a run through... Please read this roleplaying thread here... http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18275/a-canon-party-story-plan-with-a-love-button-please-press

However sometimes you just wanna play and not bother with extra NPCs.

I end up with Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynhier... They are my most used. Hell I don't even use a cleric. On the other hand, you can dump and pick up these guys without upsetting them too much (Jahiera and Khalid after the mines only)

In BG2 Yoshimo, Jan, Airie, Jaheria and Minsc end up being my most used... Again for the extra dump and I still love you enough to go back with you value...
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    With BGEE, I've picked up Neera every time.

Neera just finished off Ekandor at Adoy's Enclave for the most recent playthrough. She zapped him with a wild surge slow (meant to cast fireball, but it worked) and then roasted him with a series of magic missiles and flame arrows as he tried to scream in slow motion. Red Wizards shouldn't mess with a ticked off wild mage...
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    My problem is that I've only played BG1 (prior to BGEE) with Jaheria, Khalid, Minsc, Imoen and Dynaheir simply because it feels weird not bringing the same people that you're introduced to in BG2.

That said I love Kivan's abilities and try to keep him for as long as I can.

In BG2, while I can't stand him, I bring Anomen a lot simply because he's the ONLY female romance option. *Grumbles*

That said I haven't started playing BGEE yet simply because I can't decide which setup I wanna play first. I know I'd like to use Viconia for once, but I don't think I want to go full evil. So I dunno one day I'll decide how I want my bard to roll out and finally roll it up.
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    You can add me onto the list of people who just can't seem to not take Imoen or Jaheira. It just seems right for them to be in the party. Because of that, I generally also take Khalid(mostly to keep Jaheira happy).

The biggest one I would say is probably Nalia. I am not sure what it is, but I have never ran through BG2 without having Nalia in my party. Most people use her as a sub until you get Imoen back, but I use both of them together and I never really have any problems.

Minsc on the other hand, is somebody I know SHOULD be in the party, but I can really only stomach him every once in a while. So when I pick the games back up every few months/years, I use him for the first playthrough, and then ignore him for every additional playthrough.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Imoen is a staple in my party, thief until lvl 5, max find traps and open locks, then dual to mage. Kivan gives a significant power boost to the party early, but Coran is also an amazing archer, even better than him so he replaces Kivan. I usually tag along with Jaheira and Khalid too.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Imoen, because I can't finish a playthrugh without her and feel comfortable doing so. D:
    Neera, for she is mai waifu, and no one other than I can defend her.
    Oh, and if I'm playing Tutu, I have to have Finch and/or Indira in my party. Love those girls. A good-aligned pure Cleric, and a good-aligned Fighter/Mage? Yes, please!

BG II, it has to be Nalia. She's just too adorable, and Grey DeLisle's performance is just too adorable! She's also a mage with some neat extra tricks!
    And Imoen~ It wouldn't feel right without her! So naturally my party has like...two to, uhh, four dedicated magic-users in it. :S
    If mods are in the picture, I have to have Keto in my party. Just have to. If I can not have Keto, then I will have, uhh, Aurora! I mean, she can't join me, or anything, but she's quirky.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    If Imoen isn't in my party I don't want to play (which makes much of BG2 hard work for me). And I always take Alora because I love the little munchkin's positive attitude.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Viconia & Imoen are always in my group. I also quite often take Edwin along.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Aerie and Jan. I don't know why, but I have some attachment to both characters and always use the "They fit into every party" excuse every time.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Although she isn't among my favorite characters, I almost always bring Imoen along because she's so essential to the story. She's completely bland as a character in the first game, but I still usually bring her along because she's an excellent thief.

Other than her, I prefer to change who I use in every play through so it doesn't get repetitive, but here are the ones I use often:

Edwin: A better single class mage than my PC can ever be. Also very amusing.
    Minsc: A very good fighter and sometimes amusing, though his lines get old sometimes.
    Aerie: My favorite romance option. Also a very versatile spell caster.
    Viconia: Her romance is also fun because she's such a bitch. Arguably the best cleric in the game.
    Keldorn: His Dispel and True Sight have saved my ass many times, especially in my current first ever SCS play through. Since I also have never played as a Paladin, he's the only one who can use Carsomyr.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I always use Imoen. Other than that; I most often take Minsc, Jaheira, Kivan or Ajantis.
    Neera is a new favorite, when I need a Mage, Neera's my girl.

In BG2, I also go for Imoen. Minsc, Jaheira, Keldorn and Aerie are my next favorites. Nalia and Yoshimo fill holes at different times.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I always use Ajantis and Anomen. Actually, I usually use Garrick, too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • VishnuVishnu Member Posts: 66
    I feel weird playing without Minsc, Jaheira and Viconia in the party, be it BG1 or 2. I've never completed a game using Cernd or Haer'Dalis though. I can't stand them. And I don't mind Valygar...
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    In BG1 Imoen is a must. The only time I didn't take her was when I created her as my player character. I also always take Alora because she makes me smile.

In BG2 the only rule I have is that I don't take anyone who will try to start a romance (I hate the romances). This is usually okay because I generally play as a female so it only rules out Anomen but on the rare occasions I play as a male it means Viconia, Aerie and Jaheira all get left out.
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17
    atcDave said:

Nalia and Yoshimo fill holes at different times.

*Pffft* Yeah they do ;P
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    Imoen, Jaheira, Viconia and Korgan are my favourite party. The 6th spot is usually shared among other NPCs (except keldorn) until sarevok joins in.
    I just can't understand why the old pally Mr. Prejudice can be 'buddies' with korgan, which shows a lot of evil bitterness and blood thirsty, but can't stand viconia only cause she's drow, even though she shows curiosity about the surface world, but is rarely violent about it. F**k you keldorn
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    Khalid, Jaheira, Neera, Minsc and Dynaheir. Occasionally I switch out Neera for Imoen when I'm ready to do some looting.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    BG1: Imoen is forever by my side. Commom other options are:

1- Jaheira/Khalid
    2-Minsc/Dynaheir
    3-Kivan
    4-Viconia
    5-Kagain/Xan

From these above my combinations are either 1-2, or 1-3-4 , 2-3-4 or 3-4-5.

BG2: Imoen/Yoshimo are forever by my side. Other options vary, it really depends on which npc's I had for BG1...
  • JaredisnotmadJaredisnotmad Member Posts: 4
    In Baldur's Gate 1, I have to take Coran. I love his personality, he's a character that doesn't get as much attention as he should in the game (though the NPC mod fixes that, which I am still eagerly waiting for...)

In Baldur's Gate 2, it has to be Mazzy. There's no reason not to take her: she's a very human, very good character. Well rounded, and can shoot a bow like no other.