Skip to content

[Spoilers!] The long avaited Major update 15.11.2013 All you wanted to know about Hexxat

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    @shawne @SionIV

As the title suggests, the original post is indeed intended to gather all facts about Hexxat. With some new information coming it will be changed accordingly. The main idea is that any forum member or guest can click the 1st page of this discussion and see everything known about this much anticipated NPC and an update if available.

To date not much has been leaked. Everyone may build their own guesses and this very desire to anticipate Hexxat's class, alignment, stats, ability to dual-class and so on can not be condemned. Any discussion is never futile.

Personally, I've been glad to read your arguments and can see sense in both points of view. Only time will tell the truth. But the more discussion here, the better - during a dispute a new angle can be discovered. For example, @CutlassJack has given a very strong argument about the number of thieving points.
  • SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
    I am hoping after patch 1.2 comes out there will be some more information about her coming out!
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Sindyan said:

I am hoping after patch 1.2 comes out there will be some more information about her coming out!

She's a lesbian?? :P
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Pff.. I'm sick with this gay stuff about the new NPC.

What about her class? Any thoughts?
    Ok. She can't be a bounty hunter like Yoshimo. 2 same kits in one game - impossible I guess.
    Swashbuckler? They promised a "pure thief class" not a half-fighter class.
    It's boring if she's a vanilla thief, every NPC in BG2 is a kitted single class. Impossible.
    I bet she's a shadowdancer and with no dual class opportunity.

I don't think she's an assassin according to the info we already have... And that's make me sad...
  • DarkDogg said:

Ok. She can't be a bounty hunter like Yoshimo. 2 same kits in one game - impossible I guess.

Agreed, I see this as unlikely.
    DarkDogg said:

Swashbuckler counts as a pure thief class, but I think part of the appeal of having a single-classed thief is having an NPC with a good backstab modifier (though I suppose Jan gets there eventually). The devs may not see it that way, though.
    DarkDogg said:

It's boring if she's a vanilla thief, every NPC in BG2 is a kitted single class. Impossible.

Not quite; Mazzy, Minsc, and Viconia are all unkitted single-class NPCs. Boring or not, this is a possibility, and it's one they may take in order to avoid disappointing people who really want a single-class thief but really don't want it to be X kit. There is also the possibility that she will be an unkitted thief with some complementary abilities thieves don't normally have (ala Minsc's rage or Mazzy's spell-like abilities).
    DarkDogg said:

I don't think she's an assassin according to the info we already have... And that's make me sad...

I'd like it if she had dual-classing capability, but I don't expect it at this point. Shadowdancer does seem like a strong contender, if only because they added the kit and haven't applied it to any NPCs (that I'm aware of) yet. I haven't ruled out Assassin; depending on the kinds of artifacts she's hunting, killing the owner may in some cases be the only reasonable way to acquire it.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Kaigen said:

I haven't ruled out Assassin; depending on the kinds of artifacts she's hunting, killing the owner may in some cases be the only reasonable way to acquire it.

My feeling is that would be the reason she needs you. Combat is the one guaranteed thing your party can provide. If she were lacking in basic thieving skills your group might not be able to provide it, and remove a primary reason you'd want her along.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited October 2013
    Kaigen said:

There is also the possibility that she will be an unkitted thief with some complementary abilities thieves don't normally have (ala Minsc's rage or Mazzy's spell-like abilities).

Good point
    Kaigen said:

Shadowdancer does seem like a strong contender, if only because they added the kit and haven't applied it to any NPCs (that I'm aware of) yet. I haven't ruled out Assassin; depending on the kinds of artifacts she's hunting, killing the owner may in some cases be the only reasonable way to acquire it.

It's only because shadowdancer is the new thief kit.
    As we've seen before Dorn and Rassad are using the new kits - BG and sun soul monk.
    It would be logical enough.

And assassins... Well in my opinion - assassins are very deadly on high levels. It's a matter of taste, but the skill point penalty doesn't count in BG2. You will have over9000 skill points even before TOB. But the poison and BS multiplier are priceless. And to be honest her portrait does not like a swashbuckler to me. Nor assassin...

So it could be you're right and she's a vanilla thief with some innate abilities or spells.
    Or the new kit - shadowdancer.
    Sounds logical.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2013
    My guess and hope is that she will be a Neutral Evil Tiefling Shadowdancer with a way to make her Neutral.

-Hexxat as suggested is not a human name and has some fiendish elements to it.
    -Not sure if it's true but if her hair is purple then it's more likely that she's a Tiefling. It's one of their natural hair color. No, Imoen is not a Tiefling.
    -Shadowdancer is a new and fun class and she could have really high Dex along with a personal item only she can use that further boosts her stealth, letting you put points elsewhere.
    -If she's just a Thief without a kit she would be a wasted opportunity and boring gameplay-wise and Jan would still overshadow her (pun not intended).
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    DarkDogg said:

Pff.. I'm sick with this gay stuff about the new NPC.

What about her class? Any thoughts?

I imagine a shadowdancer to be kind of grey skinned like a shade though
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I have my money on Tiefling as well, though I think it's more likely that she'll be a single-class Thief.

I disagree that that'd be boring because what most players seem to complain about is the lack of an all-purpose Thief that you can take all the way to epic levels. Jan is not the best choice in that regard due to being multiclassed.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    She might also get some unique abilities to compensate for the single-classed-ness. I mean, Sarevok is a true class Fighter, but he's far from boring (*deathbringer-assaults all arguments to the contrary*). Mazzy is also true class, but has a bunch of unique skills to make up for it.

I'm pretty sure all the true class NPCs have some unique things to give them interesting twists (though to be honest, Sarevok and Mazzy are the only two I can even think of), and there's nothing suggesting Hexxat would be any different in that matter.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

She might also get some unique abilities to compensate for the single-classed-ness. I mean, Sarevok is a true class Fighter, but he's far from boring (*deathbringer-assaults all arguments to the contrary*). Mazzy is also true class, but has a bunch of unique skills to make up for it.

I'm pretty sure all the true class NPCs have some unique things to give them interesting twists (though to be honest, Sarevok and Mazzy are the only two I can even think of), and there's nothing suggesting Hexxat would be any different in that matter.

Though Sarevok is a Deathbringer and Mazzy is supposed to be a Paladin or a Sword of Arvoreen. I think.

Still, it's a perfect oppurtunity
    to use the new Thief kit on the new Thief. See what I'm saying?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2013
    Viconia has natural Magic Resistance and Edwin has a necklace which grants him a bunch of extra spell slots (although he's not exactly true-class).

Oh, and let's not forget Minsc's berserker rage.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think Hexxat will be a vanilla thief but with powerful race-related abilities. Her race being something extremely exotic.
    Fardragon said:

I think Hexxat will be a vanilla thief but with powerful race-related abilities. Her race being something extremely exotic.

I can believe this. It seems like a likely occurrence.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I see that we have come full circle

Meooow!

*continues eating popcorn and reading the speculation
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    edited October 2013
    There's a new thief? Do tell.
    Cuv said:

I see that we have come full circle

Meooow!

*continues eating popcorn and reading the speculation

You and your beta-testering NDA behind can munch all the popcorn you want XP
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    New thief is a male lawful good bounty hunter named Taxxeh
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2013
    All right. I'll betray my NDA and reveal that Hexxat is just an illusion created by Boo who is actually the Bhaalspawn closer to ascending to godhood. Everything that happens is part of Boo's evil master plan to gather as many Bhaalspawn together as possible, for, in the end, there can be only one.

And no, I won't tell how Hexxat, the Illusion fits in his plans, I said I'd betray my NDA, not reveal the full plot...

Please tell me nobody believed a word of what I just wrote... ;)
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @MLNEVESE NOOOO
    @LiamEster Too late... The world has to know!
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    mlnevese said:

All right. I'll betray my NDA and reveal that Hexxat is just an illusion created by Boo who is actually the Bhaalspawn closer to ascending to godhood. Everything that happens is part of Boo's evil master plan to gather as many Bhaalspawn together as possible, for, in the end, there can be only one.

Oh, man, you are SO SUED...
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    mlnevese said:

I believe everything you said! (Wait are we still in the opposite thread?)
    @Fredjo Nope the opposite thread is that way <--->
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    mlnevese said:

@Fredjo Nope the opposite thread is that way <--->

Hah! I have spotted the cleverly-hidden meaning in your post! Clearly, this IS the opposite thread, since if it is, your post becomes "Yes, the opposite thread is this way --><--", in other words, it's right here!

(I, of course, break all of the rules, hence this post is not opposite.)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    mlnevese said:

We saw no reason to doubt you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfFFiqZ8ZdE
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    mlnevese said:

Everything that happens is part of Boo's evil master plan to gather as many Bhaalspawn together as possible, for, in the end, there can be only one.

I knew it! Boo is miniature giant space hamster from the planet Zeist!

Does this mean a voice cameo by Michael Ironside as Katana? ;-)