Skip to content

Phase II: Hardware Compatibility Test

Comments

• AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited October 2013
    I would like to point out that dxdiag displays "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" regardless of what specific chipset you have.
    To find out what intel graphics you have, you must right-click your desktop, select "Screen Resolution", go to "Advanced Settings" and copy the "Adapter String".
    This may be important to make a distinction between intel chips that had little issues with baldur's gate (my HD3000 for example) and intel chips that simply didn't run it at all.

By the way... did Baldur's Gate 1 always have shadow thieves? I was... surprised...

ermo
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

By the way... did Baldur's Gate 1 always have shadow thieves? I was... surprised...

Indeed it did, and they are also involved in a major plotpoint in the main story.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Kilivitz said:

Senash said:

Oh, just remembered: despite what I wrote in the e.mail, I do have a very small bug. When I go back to the game after minimizing it (I play on full screen), I can't scroll the screen with the mouse in south and east directions. I have to enter some other screen (inventory, spells...) and then it works again.

This actually happened to me but I forgot about it until you mentioned it. I'm hoping it's a small issue that's been done away with by the new renderer, patch or whatever.
    I have see the same thing, although for me I can't move to the west. What seems to happen is the column of pixels that trigger the map movement move ~1-3 pixels from the edge of the screen, so I have to hover the mouse slightly in from the edge to move in that direction.
    Yeah, but I meant actual BG2 shadow thieves? I know they're mentioned various times, but I must have missed their actual appearance...
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Senash said:

Oh, just remembered: despite what I wrote in the e.mail, I do have a very small bug. When I go back to the game after minimizing it (I play on full screen), I can't scroll the screen with the mouse in south and east directions. I have to enter some other screen (inventory, spells...) and then it works again.

I had this bug too. Yes its fixed on the patch.

Also I just realized the game has no load screens anymore. Very nifty.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Senash said:

I had this bug too. Yes its fixed on the patch.

Also I just realized the game has no load screens anymore. Very nifty.
    EE never had load screens, so this is a fairly late observation!

EE never had load screens, so this is a fairly late observation!

No, I got a black screen for a few seconds on the prior version. Now loading is instant with no black screen.
    elminsterNecdilzor
    Saving (or auto-saving on transitions) seems to be way slower.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

Yeah, but I meant actual BG2 shadow thieves? I know they're mentioned various times, but I must have missed their actual appearance...

Oh, that would be a new addition, I think. I haven't played the patch yet so I didn't know you meant the Shadow Thief creature animation. :)
    Tomelolien
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    JaySee84 said:

Not heard anything back, unfortunately. But, to anyone who suffered with the stuttering audio/video with the movies, has that been resolved? How are they looking?

I have always had the stuttering audio in the videos. I mentioned that to dee in my email, though I am not part of the beta. If I get in I will mention it here.
  • WierdoomWierdoom Member Posts: 15
    I noticed another oddity in the UI. The multiplayer menu seems to get shifted all the way to the left on widescreen monitors. It's particularly noticeable when UI scaling is off. Anyone else getting this issue?
    Flashburn
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    wheres my copy....i want to check it out?
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Dee said:

Things are going a lot faster than I think any of us expected to; it's really wonderful to see such strong support from our players, and we're determined to make good on that confidence.

Well, what else could you expect from fans who were waiting for this patch for 8 months now ?
  • JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2013
    I've finished downloading the patched game and just fired it up. The only problem I've had so far is that the game was black-screening and crashing, up until I changed the compatibility settings to disable visual themes. It's run perfectly after that. The title screen flickering that was my only previous issue has stopped as well, so my eyes thank you for whatever change put an end to that.

I can't comment on any bugs or improvements to combat since I started a new game and I've yet to leave Candlekeep (I'll be back when I do), but for now, I like what I see.

Edit:
    Senash said:

I have also had this bug and forgot to mention it in my email (sorry!), though for me it was that I couldn't move North and East. Whatever was causing this seems to be fixed, because I haven't had it happen even though I've tabbed out of the game a few times to come here.
    Post edited by Jaesa on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    E-mail sent.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    After launch the 1.2 beta version BG-EE, I believe at least 5,000 copies pre-order of BG2-EE will coming to beamdog soon , good work your guys
    JuliusBorisov
  • jbeigejbeige Member Posts: 2
    Just sent my email. I have 2 systems with different issues.. Intel graphics on one, and Soundblaster optical sound output not working on the other..
    Interesting thing I just noticed: The patch added some new AI scripts which seem interesting. They seem to be class based variations on the 'Control' script. For example, the Cleric/Paladin variant aggressively uses Turn Undead. How aggressive you can tune with a quick key press. The thief version is similar but for Hiding and trap detection.

The only reason I noticed the new scripts was because the default script seems a little more aggressive than I recall. Everyone seems to rush enemies at greater range during combat unless I'm directly requesting them to do something.

I'll be testing a few of the new scripts out later today to see if they work as advertised.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elric555elric555 Member Posts: 3
    So I got the email to download the beta but the beta is unavailable at Beamdog right now :(
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Dee said:

That's definitely something worth testing. Email me your system information.

Doneified.
  • YukonRobYukonRob Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    Sed said:

However, not without bugs ;)
    Another screenshot.
    Alt+Tab screws up the screen as seen below.

Same for me. Doesn't happen in 1.0.2014.
    Thunder
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I have had that bug in multiplayer in 1.0.2014
  • JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    I've never had that happen in 1.0.2014 or the beta patch for single player or multiplayer.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    Beta test report:
    Test subject: AMD Phenom II x4 965 + nVidia GeForce GTX 470

I've noticed some slight microfreezes of about 50 msec during the battle of Gorion vs. Sarevok while Gorion was casting spells. However, I'll test this phase again with another character after I moved the game to an SSD because I think it's my slow HDD.
    Update: It was the HDD that was slow, the animations still feel choppy but no freezes.

The Tethtoril quest bug is fixed.

Also, I noticed some length glitches with instant tooltips:
    * Going from a small name to a larger name will cut off the tooltip
    * Going from a large name to a smaller name will left-bind the name and extend the tooltip too far.
    Unfortunately, I cannot screenshot this behaviour because the tooltips are not screenshotable.

I'll do further tests on my second system (Intel Core i7 2600K + AMD Radeon HD6970) on thursday.

[NOTE FOR TRACKING: I've also emailed this report to Dee]
    Post edited by AendaeronBluescale on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Jaesa said:

I've never had that happen in 1.0.2014 or the beta patch for single player or multiplayer.

The Alt-Tab problems could be random, depending where you caught the renderer while it tried to display the game.
    Try hitting Alt-Enter twice (not too fast), it might fix some problems.

ermo
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    5 minute impressions:

Good:
    Well.. I had a different Alt-Tab issue (couldn't scroll after Tabbing back in game and the cursor disappeared - for example if I wanted to leave the area). That one is fixed.

Like the detailed racial descriptions.

Love the new font. Very crisp and easy to read.

Great job on the icons, they look very sleek.

Bug: Familiar icon doesn't scale well. it actually gets out of bounds from the item square.
    JuliusBorisov
  • YukonRobYukonRob Member Posts: 7

Jaesa said:

The Alt-Tab problems could be random, depending where you caught the renderer while it tried to display the game.
    Try hitting Alt-Enter twice (not too fast), it might fix some problems.

Not random for me. Also need to add that I am using dual monitors with BGEE Beta on main.
    Avenger_teambg
This discussion has been closed.