Skip to content

Phase II: Hardware Compatibility Test

Comments

• JaySee84JaySee84 Member Posts: 52
    Downloaded the Beta, and the game itself runs great! Unfortunately, I'm still getting really bad stuttering audio with the movies. :(
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited October 2013
    One problem:
    When I disable full screen mode, it is very difficult to move the map. Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen may move the map or not, it is difficult to do with certainty and is unplayable in this mode for the time being. To be honest I haven't tried this with the previous version, so I don't know if it is a new issue or not.

For clarity, the arrow keys still work, but the mouse pointer does not.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Just got to FAI. So far no issues, however, I did see notice something interesting!

I don't know if its intended or not, but a guard started to attack Erik.

As I've said earlier, no issues, and I noticed that Imoen had a color change again, and I'm really liking it. In fact, I'm really liking what I see so far!
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    @Dee is there any reason I shouldn't do start a full playthrough with this beta version?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Messi
    None that I can see. Feel free to play around as if it were a normal game; in this phase, what we're looking for is that the game runs smoothly for people. If it doesn't do that, please send me an email so that we can look at how to make the experience better.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    The tally seems to be stuck at that unlucky 13. Wish I could contribute but I never had any trouble with hardware issues.
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    Just made a dark moon monk, and the descriptions says that he should have a frozen fist ability, but instead he still has a chill touch. I guess its a bug? Or maybe this version of beta has only the new renderer and not fixes for other bugs?
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    Little glitch here that didn't seem to get reported (was in last patch too but didn't break anything so it was a "passable" glitch but it may be good to fix!)

Where: In the journal

What happens: When you are in a chapter, and you open quest title to read them, go down in the description, and change chapter, (with the big arrows) the journal will be empty... (It will be there but hidden).

What I think happens: The Journal screen is not reset vertically, so that the screen stays at the height of where the other chapter was... (Play with the little scroll bar at the side and it returns ok, in the end, but still).

If you need a save to test, use mine I already sent! :)
    Keep up the good works! This is great!

Vortaka
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I can't find the "pregenerate character" button anymore. Was it removed? It's pretty helpful for multiplayer & modding...
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    sooooo sad i've got to wait for another phase probably)))
  • JaesaJaesa Member Posts: 26
    I came across something that I'm not really sure what to make of.

After exiting the Priests' Quarters, Parda (the man who normally approaches to inquire as to what happened to you) was delayed for varying lengths of time for some reason. I saved outside of the building before the encounter inside to test it, and this is what happened the three times I tried so far:

1. I stepped out of the building after the encounter, talked to the tutor who tells you how to open doors, spoke to two Watchmen whose pathing led them to be standing out in front of the same building, then walked past Dreppin (the man by the cow) when Parda finally appeared to ask what happened. He came from offscreen, from the direction of the Oghma Temple, possibly because the Quarters was no longer on my screen. (Delay: 30 seconds)

2. I stepped outside and didn't move for a few seconds, took a few steps forward, waited a few more seconds, took a few more steps forward and turned around to face the Priests' Quarters, then Parda appeared on the right side of the Quarters and approached me. (Delay: About 18 seconds)

3. Stepped outside again, stood still for a few seconds, then walked away towards the cow. Stopped, turned around, and walked to the opposite side of the screen. Stopped again, and as I turned around to walk by for the third time, Parda appeared from the left side of the Quarters. (Delay: 20 seconds)

I don't know if this is technically a bug, but it strikes me as odd because in 1.0.2014, Parda would appear just south of the Quarters and walk over to start a conversation with me so quickly that I'd barely have time to move more than a couple of steps without some sort of haste effect.

All the other NPC initiated conversations that I've seen so far (I just picked up Jaheira and Khalid at Friendly Arm Inn) haven't had the delay, so there's a chance that it's a weird, isolated incident. But as I said, I don't know, so I figured that I might as well mention it.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    There's something funky going on with the character creation UI graphics. I don't know how well these screenshots convey it, but going back and forth in the menus it's very noticeable that the textures don't match properly.

Also the texture under the bottom most circle actually seems to be couple pixels left or right depending which screen im in. Pretty much every part of the character creation process seems to suffer from this though the specific differences change between screens.

This may sound like a very minor detail, but it's actually quite noticeable at least to a person like me who spends long time in character creation.

• qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    I got a question:

Im a level 1 shadowdancer with str of 17 and im equipped with 2 shortswords and it says main hand +2/off hand +6 is that a bug...i have proficiencies in shortsword and 2 weapon style and im an elf?
    Jaesa said:

After exiting the Priests' Quarters, Parda (the man who normally approaches to inquire as to what happened to you) was delayed for varying lengths of time for some reason. I saved outside of the building before the encounter inside to test it, and this is what happened the three times I tried so far:

1. I stepped out of the building after the encounter, talked to the tutor who tells you how to open doors, spoke to two Watchmen whose pathing led them to be standing out in front of the same building, then walked past Dreppin (the man by the cow) when Parda finally appeared to ask what happened. He came from offscreen, from the direction of the Oghma Temple, possibly because the Quarters was no longer on my screen. (Delay: 30 seconds)

2. I stepped outside and didn't move for a few seconds, took a few steps forward, waited a few more seconds, took a few more steps forward and turned around to face the Priests' Quarters, then Parda appeared on the right side of the Quarters and approached me. (Delay: About 18 seconds)

3. Stepped outside again, stood still for a few seconds, then walked away towards the cow. Stopped, turned around, and walked to the opposite side of the screen. Stopped again, and as I turned around to walk by for the third time, Parda appeared from the left side of the Quarters. (Delay: 20 seconds)

I don't know if this is technically a bug, but it strikes me as odd because in 1.0.2014, Parda would appear just south of the Quarters and walk over to start a conversation with me so quickly that I'd barely have time to move more than a couple of steps without some sort of haste effect.

All the other NPC initiated conversations that I've seen so far (I just picked up Jaheira and Khalid at Friendly Arm Inn) haven't had the delay, so there's a chance that it's a weird, isolated incident. But as I said, I don't know, so I figured that I might as well mention it.

Parda appeared real quick for me and came from the woman whos book i needed to return to her.

I got a question:

Im a level 1 shadowdancer with str of 17 and im equipped with 2 shortswords and it says main hand +2/off hand +6 is that a bug...i have proficiencies in shortsword and 2 weapon style and im an elf?

Yes, that's correct. It's displaying the THAC0 penalties for dual-wielding, but because of the way that THAC0 works (positive modifiers are bad, negative modifiers are good), they're listed as +2 and +6.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited October 2013
    I've played around with the beta a bit and everything seems fine performance-wise on my end. I didn't have any performance issues with the last patch and I have none with this one.

And I must say, the new renderer/GUI look positively stunning. I especially love the transparent bottom bar and menu screen backgrounds. A lot of the in-game animations seem crisper, too. Chunking gibberlings has never looked so magnificent before!

My fawning aside, I have made the following observations, both of them minor:

1) Currently, whenever you see an item's icon (in the inventory, in a shop, on your bottom action bar, etc.) the game displays the first frame of the item's BAM file (e.g. SW1H01.BAM), where in the original game (and in the last BG:EE patch), the second frame was displayed, and the first frame was only used whenever you picked up the item with your cursor. I like how this makes some of the armor and shield items look larger, but it also makes two-handed weapons and jewelry look too small, in my opinion.

2) Whenever the screen is at the bottom of the current area (scrolled all the way to the bottom) and you initiate dialog, the screen jumps up a bit, even if the NPC you're talking to is also at the bottom of the map. This is a bit distracting.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Parda and Karan both seem to be delayed for me as well. They don't show up until I enter and exit another building. At least Tethtoril will fork over his Identify scroll now though!
  • LeoNegusLeoNegus Member Posts: 46
    Jaesa said:

This happened to me too. The first time I actually missed Parda after killing the first assassin, I walked to the bunkhouse, killed the second assassin and when I got out Karan talked to me first and then came Parda. The second time I tried Parda came to me but not right away, I had to walk around a bit.

The first time I also noticed that the game wouldn't allow me to save until I was done talking to them. I had to get in the bunkhouse without saving. It looks like the encounter is triggered but Parda doesn't spawn in the right place, so you can miss him.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Noticed that the custom photo screen still isn't fixed. The photos are still "outside the box", and not in a good way :-)

• CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    In addition to Teth working correctly, I noticed Hull is actually gratefull again for you returning his sword.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Rasaad rejoin loop still exists when loading old save.
  • ShemhamShemham Member Posts: 8
    I've been test playing the beta for few hours now and I can tell you've done a great job on this one!

So far there's been ZERO compatibility issues during this session. The movies didn't stutter or anything, there hasn't been any graphical glitches (at least to my knowledge) and the game generally seems to run very smoothly. Changing resolutions or between full screen and windowed mode does not break anything either.

The new UI is very nice indeed.

Only minor issue I've faced is that if you enter to inventory or any other many while scrolling the screen, the screen will keep scrolling in the background until you close the menu. Seems to be some sort of side effect from the new UI. But hey, if this is the only problem I've faced so far, you've done very well with this one.

Keep up the good work!

Specs:
    * Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)
    * CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2,4 GHz
    * GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M sli
    Xzar said:

Rasaad rejoin loop still exists when loading old save.

This is an example of the sort of thing that probably won't be fixed until you start a new game. If you start a new game and experience the same issue, definitely let us know.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Dee
    Think you could compile a beta buglist or similar so we know what has been reported/what is known, what you have looked at and what is fixed?

I'm sure you have something like that internally, but it would be nice to follow the progress.
    *Im in candlekeep and just did firebeards quest for the identify scroll and he didnt give me the scroll holder..is that a bug or where do you get it now?
    *Im a shadowdancer level 1 and i dont have the option of shadow step...do i have to wait to level 5 to start being able to use that?
    *No issues so far..everything running great.
    I'll take a look at starting something in this forum, sure. Probably what I'll do is handle it more or less like the FAQ--as people report issues, I'll add them to the list. I might not get to it until later this week.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited October 2013
    A mostly negative experience for my part. In 1.0.2014 the game was technically fine, except for the game's bugs like quests or kits.

Now with the beta :
    - the loading times (after the title screen, or when loading a save game) take more time than before.
    - the movies are completely bugged. In fact i have a black screen or the first image of the movie is stucked. I have to click one time, then after 10 seconds the movie shuts down (without having been played) and i can continue the game. Seems that when i unckecked the subtitles option, some movies then just played fine... but not always.
    - i'm french and when i select the french language, i just don't have any voice in the game except for Charname's voice. If i select english, i have the voices, but the text is not in french. This was working before and has been broken.
    - the graphical upgrade is nice, sure, but nothing so special. I mean, we just have one more option to unscale the game, which is nice. But if we select it, the game's UI and texts are then very small. If we don't, well... it's almost the same as in in 1.0.2014, except that the inventory / map etc. and the chat box are smaller and don't cover all the screen. Too bad we can't select the resolution we want or a specific UI size. I thought that was what you were working on.

Overall, i'm disappointed so far. I don't really want to test it anymore because it's more broken that was 1.0.2014.
    Not having the texts in my native language ( or if i have it, i have no voice) is really not cool for playing. And the loading times are really discouraging. This beta seems broken to me at this state.

EDIT : the movies issue is gone after i restarted my computer. Seems it was not a beta problem (even though i'm not sure what caused this).
    Post edited by Palanthis on
    edited October 2013

*Im in candlekeep and just did firebeards quest for the identify scroll and he didnt give me the scroll holder..is that a bug or where do you get it now?
    *Im a shadowdancer level 1 and i dont have the option of shadow step...do i have to wait to level 5 to start being able to use that?
    *No issues so far..everything running great.

Firebead won't give you the scroll case until you see him again in Beregost, as part of his secondary quest. Shadow Step is acquired at level 5.

Glad to hear it's running well! It seems like we've only got a few performance issues to work through, which is a good sign.

If you find a bug!

You may have noticed that this thread is now in "The Road to v1.2", a new subforum in this section. Feel free to create a new thread when you find an issue; that will allow us to quickly find the information we need, and will also help others to see what issues have been reported. I'm going to start a "List of known issues"; populating it will be easier if I don't have to search through five pages of posts first. :)
This discussion has been closed.