Skip to content

Unrealistic Fantasy Art

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    How about NO?
    image by goor
    image by rafater
    image by Sazariel
    image by Adrianriom (Even for fantasy/sci-fi, I am not sure fishnet armor works)
    image by 1gore
    image by Greta13Macedonio
    image by Bogdam-MRK Negligee Armor?
    image by AmberClover Okay, so she has guns. But REALLY?!
    image by IamCloudSky Nothing suggestive about that background! No sirree!
    image by Filipe-Pagliuso Accessorize with Dead Animal Skulls!
    image by jdelNido
    image by Montalvo-Mike
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    LadyRhian said:

How about NO?
    image by jdelNido

Well, that reminds me of someone. ;)

@Archaos You're right!
    And you can tell that Ellesime (in the picture) is half-naked. She has golden skin because she's most likely a Sun (Gold)Elf.
    They are the noblest and most mage-like of the elven subraces.

Also per lore, elves are not afraid to show skin. Even more so for Drow as well as Green/Wild Elves.
    It's elven tradition to not be covered from head to toe when you're outside of battle.
    I know I have joked about fetish armor. Here is real fetish armor-
    image by rieraescultura-art
    image by Montalvo-Mike Not only is it bikini armor, it's bikini armor with extra holes in it!
    image by MADMANMIKE Bare midriff- really?
    image by LMaize That armor has more coverage gaps than T_Mobile!
    image by itzaspace That armor is ridiculous.
    image by sangrde Uh, no.
    image also by sangrde Mages and Nightgowns is a thing, apparently.
    image by jdelnido Vampire Cheesecake
    image by AaronFlorento Even for an angel, this looks ridiculous.
    image by KryzzX3 Barbarian in leather bikini
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Page 27 Pic 1 (this page) by goor - super creepy.

Pic 5 by 1gore (Ms spiky) - Are thos EYES on her .. are those daggers? Sorta hook daggers. Connected to her eye-belt by two bits of string. OK the one in her right hand looks like she might do some damage with, but she's holding the one in her left hand backwards, so she can only do a sort of upward stab, which would be OK if she didn't have twig-arms.

Mz Pirate-Ogre - OK that hammer looks really heavy, but she's balancing the centre of the handle on her shoulder (padding's for the weak) with one hand, and really to do that she'd need biceps like her thighs. The centre of mass of that hammer is right up on the hammer head, so to carry it comfortably, the hook part would be right up against your back.

The one after that - Mz twiggy with the axe - is another example of someone who chose the wrong weapon, or needs to actually practice with it for about 12 hours a day for a month.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    LadyRhian said:

image by AaronFlorento Even for an angel, this looks ridiculous.

Ridiculous, but very pretty. She's an Angel, aren't they immortal by definition?
    (I admit I don't know much, except that they always dance on pins for some reason)
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, such a ridiculous angel picture.

Meanwhile, here's the Deva/Planetar/Solar picture from the Monster Manual of 3.5E:

I can imagine the reaction and comments if those were female angels in the same exact clothing.
    The female angel above is overdressed by comparison.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2014
    If you want to see a nearly naked angel-like creature, just play a Seraphim from Sacred 2...

Did I mention they are the most powerful class in the game?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Hope this works, and wasnt posted yet.

Its certainly some people's idea of a fantasy, and its an unrealistic one at that!
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I'm going to invade your thread again. Tonight I've seen a rash of something that really makes me wince - hard leather armor G-strings .... or even worse METAL G-strings. Here's a pic of one of the worst offenders, from Todor Hristov

Ye gods and godesses - can you imagine trying to walk in that! The chafing would be horrendous, and I'm sure the thin metal bit would end up inside places I don't even want to think about!

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Metal Spike Thongs.

Now in masochist fashion stores everywhere.
    I am side-eyeing that class so hard…

And a few more pictures…

image by Irkos
    image by Sangrde
    image by timareezadel (Are those supposed to be pants? What purpose do they serve if they are only covering her inner thighs? Among all the other problems with her outfit…)
    image by artcobain When someone can legitimately call you a pinhead because of your armor, you are doing it wrong.
    image by orangus Arms and legs- not so bad. Body? Fail.
    image by namesjames Even for sic-fi, that's damn ridiculous- Male- fully covered and armed. Woman- in a transparent dress(?) armor. Grrr.
    image by RobotDelEspacio The gal in back isn't bad, but the one in front is pretty bad for armor
    image by JennyPoussin She doesn't look muscular enough to carry that armor- and she looks like she's built on a Barbie doll rather than a real woman.
    image by gpzang Just a LITTLE ridiculous…
    image by SpikeJones67 Naked combat? eh...
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/250/3/3/dat_space_by_vectorthill-d7y9t1i.png by Vectorthill Not safe for work in any way, shape or form. All this makes me say is "What the Hell?!"
    image by Grafit-art Armor nonexistent, check. Sexy pose rather than practical? Check. Silly and unrealistic? Check, check, check!
    image by zeronis It's Asymmetry gone mad I tells ya! MAD!
    image by Bluerainecz That looks cold and impractical
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/250/2/e/red___jaz_mina_navarro_by_aphrodite_ns-d7yctr0.jpg> by aphrodite-ns How does that skirt stay up and on?
    image by AlexNegrea Looks nice and warm for wearing in the snow...
    image by Danusko "Let's go out fighting half-dressed!"
    image by yigitkoroglu Pasties Armor- a new low!
    image by aneteya Not sure what is going on with this armor, but it's weird…
    image by Chris Ra Three witches= triple fail
    image by ChrisRa More triple fail
    image by kostya-pingwin Amazon- in chainmail bikini
    image by jdelnido Druid in leather bikini… hmm
    image by tira-owl Sir, you seem to have forgotten your shirt this morning…
    image by beedol That looks very uncomfortable to wear…. the bra, that is.
    image by Sendolarts Even for an archer, leaving your chest and abdomen uncovered seems like a bad idea...
    And it's time for another episode of "How about NO!" Theatre!

image by Superhermit The pattern on her boob… flaps looks like old truck tire treads you see by the side of the highway…
    image by Goatlord51 That looks like a REALLY uncomfortable riding position or the helium in her boobs is pulling her up into the sky…
    image by SketchyMcDrawpants Keyhole boobage or chainmail halter will lead to pain…
    image by ShadowTrooper4 This is an extra dose of "NO!" As in "NO! Not in a million years!"
    image by CMorilla This lady is one sharp bump away from a wardrobe malfunction.
    image by myurrm Little Red Riding Hood- I get it. But couldn't you afford a whole dress?
    image also by Myurrm I am guessing this is supposed to be based on Santa Claus? Mrs. Claus…? Just the fur and the bustier draw attention to her BEWBS and give a nice "Hit me here!" target.
    image by CBedford All I get out of this is "Mostly naked Harry Potter attracts Butterfiies"
    image by miki-mochi "Because we look *more* badass with our chests exposed…"
    image by GDBoone That is the weirdest looking armored (?) thingy I have ever seen… and that's saying something!
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Banded Spandex Armour?
    @Scriver With some kind of ribboned chain mail sections? I dunno. I see a ton of WTF? in that thing.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    That's simple it's a... err... chain banded mail corset? No wait it has legs as well...
  • narumaniacnarumaniac Member Posts: 1
    Okay I felt the need to address this whole thread that I came across, I get all the complaints about impractical armor and that jazz but hers the thing who the hell cares if someone wants to draw females or males in less covering armor , I get that most of them show more skin than others but what gives any of you the right to bash someone else's art? If it's their passion to draw them that way than its their choice you don't have to post 27 pages of pictures with your little sarcastic remarks depicting what's wrong with them, and remember its fantasy art key word fantasy so get off your high horse already cause all the art is actually good and what your doing is actually disrespectful to the people who took precious time to draw them. We'll I'm done but once again who cares if they are less covered if you feel you can do better then post your own art. Oh and whatever comments come after this I really don't care if you disagree with what I said i,ll still be looking and playing with my immodestly based characters lol bye.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Oh and whatever comments come after this I really don't care if you disagree with what I said i,ll still be looking and playing with my immodestly based characters lol bye.

We don't rightly care what you think or do in your private time either, so lol bye.
    LadyRhian said:

by SpikeJones67 Naked combat? eh...
    Oh good! I found me a new bard portrait! :D *shot*
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Ahh, fantasy art. The nudity, the bikinis, the funny poses, obviously not to be taken seriously. If anyone wore these things into a battle and lived, they would be legends. Well, sorta.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I've just got to share this link to a video - it is utterly brilliant. Watch all of it - right to the last frame.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=874281602582112

How about *more* "No"? OR maybe more like, "NOooooooooooooo!"

image by Miafka
    image also by Miafka
    image and another by Miafka
    image by devilkoro
  • eliastioneliastion Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    I wanted to say too things, first to narumaniac (although I don't think he'll read it: sure. It's fantasy. But "fantasy" does not mean "screw logic". When you construct a fantasy world, it's supposed to internally make sense. It may have magic, dragons, fighting angels or, if the creator wishes so, whole pantheons of gods dedicated solely to making naughty children go bald. But - save for parodies, if even then - this does not eradicate the need for basic consistency. And this means that - if there are weapons and armor created to protect from them - said armor should be constructed in a way that actually protects the wearer. And preferably doesn't kill him or her with some strangely placed decorative spike. Therefore it - to bigger or lesser extent - annoys many people when they see a warrior dressed to battle in something absurd. Not because they don't value the artist. But because those pictures are either illustration or they tell some story in and of themselves. And this story makes no sense.

All that said, I've seen here some pictures that I find unjustified. Not because the armor depicted there does make sense for combat (it doesn't) but because, well. It is NOT armor. Take this, for example:
    http://tira-owl.deviantart.com/art/Dragonspeaker-482506094
    A guy, spellcaster of some short, mage or shaman or whatever. Shirtless. Why the hell not? We don't really get the culture and/or religion, the clothes don't seem terribly uncomfortable (maybe a bit) and it's obvious he doesn't strive for protection. Not by means of physical armor at least. So why exactly is it ridiculous? Or, by thread's name: unrealistic?
    Then there are less obvious examples - where there seems to be an armor, but is obviously impractical. Or there seems to exist only small part of armor - say, the upper arm is armored and that's it. Not much protection, really. But even then there still exists the problem of context. Is the depicted character supposed to be battle-ready? It's not always the case. And when it's not, the armor suddenly becomes much more realistic (as long as it's actually wearable). Not because it can protect the wearer, but again - because it was, possibly, never meant to. Ceremonial armors are ceremonial. Just like some ridiculous dull/silver-bladed sword so packed with gems and gold that it's disputable if it can even be wielded - it might be useless in battle, but still remain realistic as some fantastic ornamental weapon, designed primarily to show off owner's wealth and status (since, say, only nobles are allowed to wear swords in public). The armor can be just as stupid and impractical - and still remain realistic (often being also really sexist, but that's not the topic of the thread) - as long as the artist doesn't try to convince us that it's an actual battle armor supposed to provide protection.

EDIT:
    I didn't really read right from the beginning of the thread, but when I went there, I found even better example of overzealous judging without thought about context:
    LadyRhian said:

image by Hyagami "Because a bikini and woad provide the best protection!"

Not much protection here. And that's bad. Because, as we all know, a set of full plate armor is crucial...
    ...for your job as entertainer.
    If you look at the picture, you see something that looks like a crowd behind her. And she doesn't look like she is fighting anything, really. But - just to be sure - I backtracked this picture to deviantart:
    http://adrian-w.deviantart.com/art/Fire-Breather-321478047
    Citing author's description:
    "This belongs to a series in which I want to display a different apsect of medieval characters. Not the typical knight or whatever but the entertainers of those times like Gypsies, Fire Breathers, Jesters ect."

Sorry for poking fun at you a little, I couldn't help myself ;) And you still have a point in many (most of) cases. Just let's remember that context is something we absolutely can't forget. Since you can't really judge whether something makes sense unless you know what it actually depicts.
    ...ok, there are those broken spines and apparent lack of internal organs in some pictures, but apart from that :D
    Post edited by eliastion on
    Well, that's fair, @ellastion. Not every post I've made is perfect. But the pic of the man, it seems like his skirt (such as it is) might have a hard time staying up. It also leaves you free for weather and anything else to come along.

As for the entertainer, that's fair. Often, I judge by the picture itself rather than accompanying text. I wouldn't say she needs plate mail, but something that covers her skin without gaps wouldn't come amiss.

By the by, I don't mind being poked fun at. I mean, people are free to disagree with me, and post what they think of as "unrealistic" fantasy art. I'll keep posting my own point of view. :)
    image by crow-god Armor looks like an explosion in a metal shop
    image by Kilartdev Stripper armor?
    image by GN-GR
    image by Uryenn
    image by yuchenghong Not sure why you'd want to fight with your stomach and abdomen exposed.
    image by Gpzang Yeah, leave your heart open, too.
    image also by Gpzang Ow… is that strap cutting into that man's chest? It is too tight, in that case.
    image by beedol another one that lets a female character expose someplace that should be covered (hopefully by armor)