Skip to content

Unrealistic Fantasy Art

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Leeme try again...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Tresset That picture gives new meaning to the term "Meat shield"!
    @Corvino GMTA
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    GMTA?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    scriver said:

GMTA?

Great minds think alike? (Guessing)
    @Scriver @jackjack Correct. :)
    It's more women in unrealistic body armor!

image by Sangrde It's the popular Corset plus pasties armor!
    image by gabrix89 I don't get spending money on what is the equivalent of full/field plate armor and then going "Oh yeah, still gotta show off my BOOBS to show that I am a woman!"
    image by Vetrova Okay, cool looking? Check. Armor consisting almost wholly of straps that protect shizz all? Major Check!
    image by LASAHIDO Whoever designed this armor should be taken out and shot- no remorse, no pity. Woman is in a literal storm of blades and fire with the equivalent of a bikini with pieces of metal attached, and half-assed leg and arm armor. She is *asking* to be nailed by those swords.
    image by Johnnymorrow Is that tree… groping her?!
    image by xiaobotong Sorry, Mister- I don't care if you have taken the "Abs of Steel" course. That is not going to protect you from being gutted like a fish. Not even that pauldron is going to save you…
    image by vinogadovalex Sigh… another good armor ruined by conspicuous boobery
    image also by Vinogradovalex I guess this is armor not made for sitting down in…
    image by lpvictoria If I had a mere nickel for every plate mail, chain mail or some other supposed armor substance bikini that I have seen in fantasy art, I could retire richer than the Koch brothers...
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    Whaaaaa...?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    imagehttp://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/096/7/4/valkyrie_by_vetrova-d4v7lnw.jpg
    Mmmm redhead.

I'll let the lack of armor go this time.

I'd hit it.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    @Squire‌
    Finally! Someone who gets it! Fantasy weapons are bullcrap!
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Squire said:

This artist has no idea how blades are made...you do know they're not made by pouring metal into a mould, right?

I think possibly they did know that and decided to ignore it because it's FANTASY.

God almighty dude, having a distinctive design is more important than making everything practical and realistic for people who actually care what real swords look like.

@Squire‌
    Finally! Someone who gets it! Fantasy weapons are bullcrap!

Yes! We've been waiting SEVENTEEN YEARS for a vigilant, scalpel-minded mensch to reveal the ugly truth; Cloud's sword is too big.

@Glam_Vrock Sword envy? Compensating for something? ;)
    I'm just bitter about people crying "Unrealistic!" every time I drop my trousers.
    @Glam_Vrock I've seen guys like that. Mainly in pics and photos on DeviantArt. i can't help but cringe sometimes at artists who draw human guys who would make Jonah Falcon feel inadequate. (Look him up on Google- realize that he got stopped going through an airport because of it…)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    To be fair, Cloud is a super soldier, so he should be able to swing that sword (snickers) with little to no problems.

But if he drops it...
    I understand making fun of silly fantasy art, but when you're getting into honest-to-god nitty gritty paragraphs about bevors and quillons and ricassos, maybe you're taking things a little too seriously.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564

I understand making fun of silly fantasy art, but when you're getting into honest-to-god nitty gritty paragraphs about bevors and quillons and ricassos, maybe you're taking things a little too seriously.

That's half the fun of being a nerd about this stuff, realizing how stupid it is and pointing it out. Taking something way further than it was intended to be. Besides the most critically acclaimed fantasy works are works that took themselves seriously. And I wasn't even referring to Cloud's sword, although admittedly I was hardly clear.(Read, not at all.) I was referring to the blatantly overly designed swords used throughout fantasy. Take Skyrim for example.
    The iron sword is a carbon copy of ancient viking swords, one of the most popular swords in history, found all over Europe and was used for centuries.
    A sleek, efficient, well designed blade. An excellent weapon. Yet, for some reason, is the weakest class sword in the game.
    vs the Daedric sword
    image\
    The blade has all these jagged edges, which are easier to catch with a parry and will more likely get stuck in a body if you you do actually cut someone with it. The pommel and crossguard are way over designed and spiky. And it's actually better than most weapons in fantasy games.
    2/10 would not use.
    And even then the daedric stuff is so out of place for the setting that I couldn't get immersed in the the game. I actually went back to using the iron stuff because it was more realistic and lore friendly.

image by 1nkor I… I have *nothing*. My jaw is dragging on the floor.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    edited May 2014
    She has abs of steel, no need for armor. If she runs or walk fast, she may have a problem of something bouncing out.

Hope some of these artist don't quit their day job.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I hope she does not have to get anything in a high shelf...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I have no idea what you mean. Proper knee protection is the basis of all armour.
    Okay, I know there's a phrase of "I'll have your guts for garters!" But is that what those are?
    @Squire Would her thong really be able to hold it up, though? ;)
    edited May 2014
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/118/6/1/red_sonja_by_jeffach-d5w4015.jpg by jeffach Okay, no armor- paint. :Rolls her eyes.: Yeah, I bet that's TONS better than armor!
    image by bluefley Okay, not really fantasy, but… how does she *not* fall down on her back? That must a stone cold beeyotch to haul around on your shoulders/back!
    image by svetlaya777 i wish this armor covered the top of her chest… I really do!
    image by simonarpalmer She's supposed to be a dragonslayer…. with her belly exposed? Oohhhkay.
    image by jdelnido That looks… stunningly impractical for combat.
    image by dkmarkos What does the line down her belly do? It reminds me of the lines women used to paint on the back of their legs to pretend they were wearing nylons. Is this supposed to be her pretending to have armor or something?
    image by gkb3rk "I don't need chest armor- I have pauldrons and a belt!"
    http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/099/8/a/queen_andromache_by_mlappas-d7du4ap.png (boobs ahoy- but no nips, so I am not posting it here) by miappas How do you go around with a bare chest and still live?
    image by barn_swallow That outfit looks cold, drafty, and too visible in the moonlight with all that pale skin on display against the black leather.
    image by igorIVArt There are too many faces on that armor… it's gonna eat me!
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    We have some nice examples of how magical painting is better than armor ;)
    image by jdelnido The minute she stands up, her top is going to roll down (or fall down). And I just can't see wanting to go into battle showing off your… assets like that.
    image by scary pet If her armor covered her more completely, this wouldn't be bad. But otherwise, would not use.
    image by michelacacciatore Two things here- don't those boobs get in the way of her pulling the string on that bow (and a bowstring scrape would hurt!) and what are those two stick-like things hovering by her hair?
    image by the-silverware Lady, all those wounds on your body should be telling you something- Wear More Armor!
    image by FrancescaBaerald Wow, what is going on with that central barbarian's body? That is pretty anatomy fail
    image by Sahri-Art Ugh. Oyoioyoioy… Couldn't you afford a complete set of armor?
    image by RaymondMinnaar Yeah, this guy is made out of Ham, alright. And the number of scars is way too low for being so uncovered.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Just a heads up @LadyRhian, the redheaded lady wearing the black paint and and wolfskin ensemble is a bit nipply. I remember what happened to the last one of these threads when there was an *ahem* slip.