Skip to content

Unrealistic Fantasy Art

Comments

• winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    Does anybody have links to some texts explaining why exposed female superhero showing off "attributes" (meaning, eyes, obviously) isn't an equivalent of exposed male superhero showing off muscles (not aesthetically-wise, obviously, because in such term they're the same, but it's not what we're discussing here)? Can't find any right now but I remember some good stuff on that topic.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2014
    @winters I'm not sure what you mean with that question but I'll try to answer based on my opinion.

Do you mean why cleavage isn't the same with men showing their muscular upper body?

There's really no reason except societal rules and religion, where showing female breasts is "wrong" but showing male chests is "fine".

For example, in Ancient Greece you had various depictions of women on statues or pottery being naked and Spartan women even competed in Olympic sports totally naked like men.

If that's not what you're talking about, can you elaborate?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    My major issue with most superheroes, men and women alike, is that none of them seem to understand the core human principle of donning their underwear inside of their pants/tights/body paint.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    jackjack said:

My major issue with most superheroes, men and women alike, is that none of them seem to understand the core human principle of donning their underwear inside of their pants/tights/body paint.

Also - despite what joggers would have you believe, skintight spandex isn't that warm. If your costume is thin enough to allow all that muscle definition to be seen then you'll be freezing your nuts off come winter. Let's face it, capes aren't exactly thermals.
    @Necomancer, yeah. How could I have anything against pretty girls in skimpy clothes? Give me a break. But please, them being everywhere for every possible or even no reason at all is kind of ridiculous. But hey, not admitting to being horny all the time is so unmanly, right? Right. Nobody would want to eat chocolate ice-cream each and every time they turn their heads. Probably. Hopefully.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited April 2014
    jackjack said:

For a long time I have thought that the underwear over the pants,in case of men and the glorified swimsuits for women are actually the true secrets behind superpowers. All those fancy origin stories are nothing but decoys to avoid us, normal people (completely not an alien here, just a normal human writing), to acquire our own superpowers... I just have to figure out how spandex and capes enter the equation...
    edited April 2014
    My issue is not the art itself. With some games I enjoy realistic clothing and armor. On others, like JRPGs I don't mind some less "realism".

Let's put aside that the thread title is an oxymoron. Unrealistic. Fantasy. Fantasy by definition is unrealistic.

Even with the vanilla (A)DnD rules, you could make a completely naked character and give them Bracers of Armor +8.
    There you go, a character that is as protected by wearing bracers as wearing full plate.

What annoys me is the reaction. Not every single piece of fantasy should be realistic. And that's good.
    And neither is one better than the other, they're just different for different tastes.

Especially when "magic" throws realism out of the window. (See example of magic bracers above)

I can enjoy fantasy games like the Witcher and Final Fantasy, equally.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    First off: That being said, I have nothing against skimpy clothing as long as it fits the character and isn't to the point where its ridiculous. It all depends on how practical and realistic you want your fantasy. The less realistic and practical you make your fantasy art and worlds the more likely you are to be made fun of for it. its just part of how people work, and alot of this stuff goes over the line of what many consider acceptable.

That right there. Yes, fantasy, that doesn't mean we have to accept parts we find ridiculous or silly. It doesn't mean we find a world where someone being stabbed with a sword and dying is as acceptable and enjoyable as someone who gets stabbed with a sword and turns into a bunch of pink bubbles filled with tiny fish singing the Mexican national anthem because fantasy allows everything ever. It comes down to taste. As I said, the less realistic and less practical it is the more people will mock it. That, and there is never an excuse for a metal thong.

Gameplay mechanics don't even come into play. This isn't about baldur's gate. This isn't about DnD. This thread is about unrealistic fantasy art in general.

As for magic? See, heres why we can accept magic. The better we understand something, the more realism we want in it. Let me give an example. In diablo 3 you have some demon hunter able to rapid fire crossbows like a gattling gun. This is silly, because we know how crossbows work and we know they don't work that way.

We do *not* know how magic works and never will. This is why we can accept it doing near anything. If we did have an understanding of it you better believe we'd have people going 'IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY!'. In some settings you do have people doing that. This is also the reason most sci-fi series have some sort of mystery power or source of technology we don't understand, so they can do anything they want with it and since we don't know how it works we accept it because theres nothing to criticize (see, mass effect and uh...Well, mass effect and how it works in game)

Regardless, if you enjoy unrealistic fantasy armor, thats fine. This thread was made for people who don't. For people who know that armor is actually suppose to cover things and not expose vital areas. For people who think +12 armor that exposes a woman's heart to any stray arrow is silly. What you're doing is like going into a thread for people who say they hate chocolate chip cookies and going "Those cookies are okay stop trying to say they're not". I'm just saying, you're not necessarily wrong but neither are the other people in this thread mocking this sort of armor. Its a matter of taste and trying to defend your taste is...pointless, honestly.

The bottom line is you don't have to defend yourself or your love of unrealistic fantasy armor. Thats fine. Just don't expect others to feel the same way and they can, and will, make fun of it. Hell, plenty of people go the opposite route and say women should not wear full plate because then you can't tell its a woman and thats bad character design. Personally, I disagree with this and think knowing the gender of a fully armored badass is not that important. However if I find myself in a thread made for people who think like this I'm not going to go in and try and defend my views, they have a right to enjoy their women in metal corsets just like I have a right to make fun of them somewhere else for it. The point being, don't be a killjoy and just let people have their fun even if you disagree with it.
    edited May 2014
    @Necomancer While I agree that everyone has a right to agree with it, I will disagree that I'm a "killjoy" if I express a different opinion.

If a thread was made, called "Baldur's Gate is the best game ever" and I pointed them at better games, in my opinion, and told them "here's why I disagree" in a civil manner, I am a killjoy?

That's basically saying "if you're in a Baldur's Gate forum and say that Baldur's Gate is not the best game ever, we don't want you here, you're a killjoy, shoo". To which I would reply "freedom of speech".

This is a public thread and unless I didn't notice it, we're allowed to express different opinions or even unpopular ones, as long as they're done in a civil manner, without being labeled as "killjoys".

That's quite rude at the very least.

The funny part is that I actually agree with the general thread. Some of these fantasy pictures are silly. I'm not a huge fan of chainmail bikinis either.

I just disagree that everything and anything that is not super realistic in a fantasy setting needs to be made fun of and couldn't work in a fairly realistic game and setting like the Forgotten Realms and DnD, when rules actually support it.

Another example: It's like making a thread saying "look at all those stupid and unrealistic games that are not Baldur's Gate, haha". I just disagree with it.

I also don't find much point in making fun of excellent fantasy art that isn't super realistic. When it was obviously never the goal of it.
    But that's just me.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Archaos said:

If a thread was made, called "Baldur's Gate is the best game ever" and I pointed them at better games, in my opinion, and told them "here's why I disagree" in a civil manner, I am a killjoy?

That's basically saying "if you're in a Baldur's Gate forum and say that Baldur's Gate is not the best game ever, we don't want you here, you're a killjoy, shoo".

In such an instance, I believe the proper term would be heretic and/or blasphemer. xD
    (Only fooling)
    @jackjack Exactly the terms I use to refer to people that dual Sarevok to a Mage. *Nods nods* ...Wait, wrong thread. ;)
    edited May 2014
    @Necomancer Don't worry, no offense taken. And I'm the type of person that supports a good discussion and argument and loves to challenge taboos. (Chaotic Neutral with Good tendencies I guess)

To resurface an older point I made. I'm not supporting chainmail/plate bikinis. Those are silly anyway you see them.

But a character that needs only her agility (Rogue/Duelist/Monk) or magic to fight, she could wear a thong and do just as a well.
    Not unrealistic. Just unlikely.
    If she would is a matter of preference on that character and by extension the vision of the artist.

Is it ridiculous if they fought in a thong? Sure.
    Could they still hold their own and kick ass since they only need agility/magic? Absolutely.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    iuventas said:

The problem I personally have is not amount of clothes any character wears. Hell, I made a couple of female characters that hated wearing too much clothes, let alone armour (shudder).
    What I dislike about most of these pictures are their faces. Dreamy, pouty, devoid of any expression, saying "take me here and now", not "I'm here to kick ass". Not a shadow of cockiness or anger expected from someone brave enough to wear next to nothing on battlefield.
    ...That and metal bras. Mental image of a mage preparing for battle by putting levitation spells on her boobs, so they aren't pulled down by weight of that stuff... yeah, it keeps haunting me.

When those huge boobs sag with age, they could be swung like nunchakus for 1d6 damage per hit ^_^
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Archaos said:

...Is there really a better game than Baldur's Gate?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Necomancer‌ by Baldur's Gate I meant the whole saga, but yeah, BG2 is better.

…But is there a game better than BG2?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Corvino said:

jackjack said:

Also - despite what joggers would have you believe, skintight spandex isn't that warm. If your costume is thin enough to allow all that muscle definition to be seen then you'll be freezing your nuts off come winter. Let's face it, capes aren't exactly thermals.
    NO CAPES!

O U C H somebody call a chiropractor

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    winters said:

O U C H somebody call a chiropractor

Why? I mean, she looks perfectly fine for a centauress! Oh wait...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I think she really needs a neurosurgeon...
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    On the plus side, she's got a beautiful face.

*takes*

*crops for BG portraits*

:D
    Yeah, and in a way it makes it even worse - the drawing is generally pretty good; nice face, great hair, jewellery and clothes, this awesome animal - and such an obvious anatomy f*ckup :/ Painful.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    image by Zeronis Okay, she's completely covered, but that armor is ridiculous.
    image by anotherwanderer Hope you weren't counting on that belly protection, sir!
    image by malverro Really?! You had to go into battle with half your ass hanging out?
    image by Re-Rian And this, ladies and germs, is WHY we wear armor!
    image by Aniamitura Being a demon is the only reason one would want to go around garbed like this…
    image by crow-god Boots and gauntlets- Great! Rest of her body, not so much.
    image by JamesJKrause Spiky fruit says: "Do NOT touch!" Over the top, otherwise okay.
    LadyRhian said:

image by JamesJKrause Spiky fruit says: "Do NOT touch!" Over the top, otherwise okay.

The designer clearly assumed that this armour's future owner is an easily distracted person, since s/he provided it with a nice pair of epaulette blinder-like thingies.