Skip to content

Baldurs Gate Meme Thread II: Enhanced Edition (Careful, everyone, SPOILERS!)

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

CrevsDaak said:

Tell that to me, in ToB, the best Ioun Stone for Fighters is the Pale Green Iouns Stone, that gives 10% more of your HP (so I get ~35 HP bonus), even better health bonus than the one Sendai drops.

You have 350 HP o.0?
    No, just 219 but it gets raised to 240, just 21, not ~35, my bad, anyway it's still better I guess.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited March 2014
    Jenzafar said:

Wilthon tha Bare

*goes on an early 00's comic book action movie rampage in Wilson's name* *Evanescence playing*
    *cut to something completely different*
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I have that problem, only it's with my PC archer. She has a bloody 2 THAC0, really only misses on a critical miss, and still manages to miss every fifth shot... I swear she had three critical misses in a row once...
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2014
    @Elrandir‌

Actually, even on a miss on natural 1, when you have multiple attacks, the miss rate can still be high. Consider

- You hit 95% of the time (2-20 on a roll of 1d20)
    - You have 5 attacks
    - To hit all 5 times, the probability is 0.95*0.95*0.95*0.95*0.95 = 0.7738 or 77.38%
    - Therefore, the probability that you will miss at least once = 1-0.7738 = 0.2262 or 22.62%

Missing at least once 22.62% of the time is about 1 out of 5. And sometimes, you miss more than once.

This is also why I disagree with some players that THAC0 is not very important lategame. Even at 95% hit rate, you can miss multiple times if you get unlucky rolls. What more if you start out at lower than 95% hit rate? You may end up missing when you really need to connect your hits (first hit slow from FoA, first hit vorpal from Ravager/AotU, etc.).
    Post edited by jacobtan on
    Elrandir said:

I was aware of how crit misses work, I was mainly just saying she missed every attack in one round. I didn't know the 95% thing, though.

Yeah, it is 95% because attack rolls are rolled on a 1d20. Since one result out of 20 results is always a miss, the % is 1/20 = 5%, which means the best you can do is to hit the other 95% of the time. That's all.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    @Elrandir a Charname archer is still on my to-play list... The amount of critical misses with bow-wielders in general is thankfully low on my end however.
    @jacobtan‌ Oh geez. Statistics. XD She's actually only got 3 APR currently. (BG1) By the time she has 5 APR her THAC0 will be in the negatives. Easily.

@Sjerrie‌ They're very powerful. I actually have a thread for the character, (it's a solo runthrough) so if you want some inspiration\ideas to do it, you can check it out. She's only in BG1 currently, though, so if you plan to skip through that, then it might be less handy.
    Elrandir said:

@jacobtan‌ Oh geez. Statistics. XD She's actually only got 3 APR currently. (BG1) By the time she has 5 APR her THAC0 will be in the negatives. Easily.

@Sjerrie‌ They're very powerful. I actually have a thread for the character, (it's a solo runthrough) so if you want some inspiration\ideas to do it, you can check it out. She's only in BG1 currently, though, so if you plan to skip through that, then it might be less handy.

Problem is... attacks will always miss on a natural 1 (critical miss). So the best hit rate is 95%. If for some reason, a character cannot reach 95% hit rate when fighting the bosses, there is a very good chance the character will miss at least once in the opening stages of the fight, which may be what determines victory or defeat.
    I was aware of how crit misses work, I was mainly just saying she missed every attack in one round. I didn't know the 95% thing, though.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Well, 'Jan' and 'Jansen' are pretty common first and last names in dutch, and 'Jansen' is essentially a shortened form of Jan's Son (just like they have in english). Jan Jansen could be considered as a bit *too* dutch actually. ;) I found it interesting to see a familiar name slapped on a gnome back in the day.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Well that's a major hit between the legs.

I don't actually believe this (I enjoyed this romance the most, actually) but the idea was too amusing to me to pass up :p

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    It looks like he's been killed by a crow or something.
    Only those who played the original Resident Evil/Biohazard will get the joke :)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    :(
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

gaaaahhhhh!!!! Totally was hoping it would be for Adventure Y!

DOWN THE DRAIN

get it