Skip to content

Enhanced? Nope. Baldur's Gate I & II: Tweaked Edition is what we actually got.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited December 2013

when people allow their feelings to override basic courtesy or logic, problems arise.

@Schneidend

Because you would never do that, right ? :p
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Erg
    See, and I actually did have a bit in my draft about how that did not work out well for me, but I deleted it.

But, that does raise another question: where's cryocore's jailing?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    I believe discourse is inherently healthy, and in the end, can only benefit the project at hand, assuming the end goal for both sides of said argument is a better experience for everyone involved, to the extent possible. When people start to lose their temper, productivity predictably goes down the toilet. But even though I (perhaps vehemently) disagree with the methods of @cryocore, if it leads to a discourse that ends up improving everyone's experience, I'm inclined to appreciate the results. My issue here comes down to tone, context, and intent, all of which can be admittedly difficult to ascertain over the internet. But still, I feel that there's no need for anyone on either side of this or any other debate to be caustic. We're all mad here.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'm eating pizza right now after playing some BG2EE. This last post just made my night. Off to bed.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Erg said:

2) I don't think that the new content is worse than the original, even though it feels a bit different, and I don't deny some nostalgic attachment to the original content and that's why I would like the possibility to selectively disable some (or all) of the new content just to experience (at least once) the vanilla content with all the enhancement of the improved EE engine.

See, this is where you lose me.

The new content isn't mandatory. You're never forced to experience any of it. You could quite plausibly play through BG2:EE without recruiting Dorn, Hexxat, Neera or Rasaad.

And yet you're advocating the possibility of removing that content rather than ignoring it. That's an emotional reaction, not a rational one: it's the existence of the content that bothers you, not its merits. And from a critical standpoint, that's a really poor position to take.

I mean, I have no use for Rasaad. He won't fit in either of the playthroughs I'm planning. But I can choose not to take Rasaad, and not to experience his content, without going out of my way to delete him from the game.
    edited December 2013
    shawne said:

Erg said:

2) I don't think that the new content is worse than the original, even though it feels a bit different, and I don't deny some nostalgic attachment to the original content and that's why I would like the possibility to selectively disable some (or all) of the new content just to experience (at least once) the vanilla content with all the enhancement of the improved EE engine.

See, this is where you lose me.

The new content isn't mandatory. You're never forced to experience any of it. You could quite plausibly play through BG2:EE without recruiting Dorn, Hexxat, Neera or Rasaad.

And yet you're advocating the possibility of removing that content rather than ignoring it. That's an emotional reaction, not a rational one: it's the existence of the content that bothers you, not its merits. And from a critical standpoint, that's a really poor position to take.

I mean, I have no use for Rasaad. He won't fit in either of the playthroughs I'm planning. But I can choose not to take Rasaad, and not to experience his content, without going out of my way to delete him from the game.
    @shawne

It is simpler than you think and you are reading too much into it.

It is just a matter of habit. To clarify

1) I regard the new official NPCs as if they were NPCs from mods, for reasons I've already explained (e.g. they don't feel like the vanilla ones, nostalgic attachment to the original ones, etc.). You don't agree, suits yourself, it doesn't change the way I feel about the new NPCs :)

2) when I start a new playthrough, part of the fun is to select which mod to install (including the NPCs). Instead of installing any mod in existence, I carefully handpick a bunch of them. This make every playtrough an unique experience, increasing greatly in my opinion the replayability value of the game.

3) I simply want to be able to do that also with the new content. To be honest I really don't understand how having more choice on how to customise your game can be considered by you something bad :)

Can I just ignore Dorn? Sure, but I can as easily mod my game to disable him (I just have to change a single line in a single script, it would take only 5 seconds with NI, 5 minutes with WeiDU).
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    It is also running a lot smoother and faster than ever before. I love that there is no saving or loading screen, when quick saving/loading. The EE's are a great enhancement in my opinion, and the future possibilities are greater than ever before.
    @Erg: Because they're not mods. However convenient it may be for you to characterize them as such (because that perception - incorrect as it is - supports your argument), insofar as the EEs specifically are concerned Neera is as official a character as Imoen. And since I'm guessing you don't use WeiDU or NI to remove original characters you don't like, it's a bit hypocritical to take that approach with the EE NPCs.
    shawne said:

@Erg: Because they're not mods. However convenient it may be for you to characterize them as such (because that perception - incorrect as it is - supports your argument), insofar as the EEs specifically are concerned Neera is as official a character as Imoen. And since I'm guessing you don't use WeiDU or NI to remove original characters you don't like, it's a bit hypocritical to take that approach with the EE NPCs.

@shawne

I'm done arguing with you. I've expressed my opinion several time already. You don't agree, fine by me.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    Cuv said:

Just gonna throw this out there as maybe you aren't aware... Devs here are some of the same people who made the original games. Both vBG1 and vBG2 all those years ago

I am perfectly aware that some of the team worked on BG1 and BG2. tell me how many of the Overhaul team were writers or content creators again? Dont worry you dont need to answer that, as that too is something I am aware of, and is exactly why I stand by my comment.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @shawne To be fair, both Dorn and Baeloth are fairly overpowered in BG1. Dorn has cheesy stats and Baeloth has a cheesy class. In BG2 Dorn falls more into the typical NPC bell-curve and Baeloth is no longer present, but in BG1 their recruitment makes the game considerably easier.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Baeloth is kind of a joke character, though, so I think its unfair to count him so much. For a start you have to be level 5 to get him in an area that you wouldn't ordinarily be level 5 while doing. Thus unless you're lucky or overpowered, chances are the only way you'll encounter him is if you are deliberately trying to get him.

Dorn is a fair point, though, he is fairly OP in BG1. Not so much in BG2, though.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Adul
    Baeloth is OP for his MR, stats and bonus spells, if any.
    Sorcerer in BG1 isn't THAT OP compared to a Mage. You can't even reach lvl5 spells without a exp cap remover.
    @Adul: My problem isn't with the claim that Dorn and Baeloth are overpowered, since that tends to be a very, very subjective criterion - one could just as easily argue that Baeloth has zero flexibility because Sorcerers can't change their loadout, and that Dorn's low Constitution means he can't always power through every encounter. But I take issue with the notion that they are, in any way, forced upon the player.
    edited December 2013
    @SpaceInvader I determine the power of a wizard in BG1 by how many Magic Missiles they can cast daily. After all, Magic Missile is the Breach of BG1.

Just kidding... or am I?
    Post edited by Adul on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    For me the zoom feature alone was worth the $20. That's not a lot of money these days.

Of course I also appreciate all the other content--I really enjoy all the new NPCs. They're great fun. (One can always find something to complain about for almost any character in any game. The developer can never please everyone.) There are a few NPC mods that come close to their level of sophistication; but rarely is a mod's voice acting at a professional standard. And the voice acting is such a huge element of what makes NPCs succeed.

Most of all I appreciate that the game engine was recoded to help ensure continued longevity of the game for decades to come on new operating systems and devices.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    In my eyes the game is now more like "Baldur's Gate : Unpolished Edition" or "Baldur's Gate : Work in Progress Edition". For me, after patch 1.2 BG:EE started to feel and function like I expected it to do at the launch. Mostly functional, stable, few aggggravating bugs in maps and journal. But still very, very unpolished. However after playing 1.2 for couple of weeks I started to realize, that I'd more gladly wait for the next patch to fix rest of the bugs, than install the vanilla version with mods.

Even if BG:EE haven't yet reached its maximum potential, I do believe that it is on its way to do so. Just the "unmarked spell highlighting"-feature tested during the 1.2 beta alone added +4 reputation to developers in my eyes, since that was something I'd wished to happen for the last decade. For me that single feature is much more valuable addition than a pack of new NPC:s.

If there will be more features like that, bug squashing for goodness, lag- and crashfree MP and maybe some adventurey expansion, Enhanced Editions will become the Definitive Editions. There is work to be done, but at least things are on the right track and going forward. In that sense the current "Baldur's Gate : Work in Progress Edition" is much better than the "Baldur's Gate : It ain't GOnna Get any better than this Edition".
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    What is unmarked spell highlighting ?
    It highlighted spells that you didn't or did have in your spell book, so you knew which you could memorise without checking the descriptions.

I believe in the next patch the feature will be back: spells you can learn but do not currently know will be highlighted green in the menus/shops.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Adul
    How are Dorn's stats cheesy, exactly? There's nothing illegal about his stats. He has a half-orc's natural maximum strength. Yeah, that's powerful, but tough opponents like Graywolf can chew threw his middling HP with ease.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited December 2013
    shawne said:

Content-wise, they are about as consequent as most good NPC mods.
    Quality-wise, they are about as good as the top-tier NPC mods (YMMV, of course, depending on personal preference...)
    Integration-wise, they are probably less integrated than most good NPCs mode (Especially Hexxat and Rasaad - Dorn and Neera at least have part of their content that are well integrated in existing areas)

So, yeah, it makes sense to treat them as mods, especially if you're not a native english player and have to bear playing without them (and all of their dedicated content...) beeing dubbed.
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    @cryocore oh its you again lol, you were the one complaining about your download the night this game was released, now you're complaining about the game itself, sheesh some people never change.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Well, hopefully we'll be getting those with Adventure Y (and hopefully Adventures Z through A~W)!

What happened to Adventure X: Days of Future Past?
    @Schneidend

I'm glad you asked.

Let's start with an overview of the damage bonus each BG1 warrior NPC receives from strength:

Coran: 0
    Khalid: 0
    Jaheira: 0
    Yeslick: 0
    Ajantis: +1
    Kagain: +1
    Montaron: +1
    Rasaad: +1
    Kivan: +3
    Shar-Teel: +3
    Minsc: +5
    Dorn: +7

As you can see, 19 STR is indeed quite cheesy in BG1. That's especially the case that early on. He even out-damages Minsc who was the original best hitter in the game. (As a side note, now you can take both of them to steamroll pretty much anything.)

Also, just like Minsc, Dorn uses two-handed swords by default, which means he can keep his distance from foes while a better tank soaks up incoming damage. Not to mention the fact that he starts with a +1 weapon that turns into +2 as soon as he kills something. I'd say that's quite overkill at level 1.

Additionally, CON is not all that important in BG1. You can already avoid most incoming physical damage by lowering your AC, and even if you don't use the Gauntlets of Dexterity on him, Dorn has decent DEX to begin with.

Well, hopefully we'll be getting those with Adventure Y (and hopefully Adventures Z through A~W)!

What happened to Adventure X: Days of Future Past?
    That was the Black Pits =P