Skip to content

Anyone else not a fan of +1 stat tomes? Come give some cool roleplaying alternatives!

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
So, I just read a book and now I'm strong.

lolwtf?

I always thought there would be better ways to roleplay a stat increase. Most would take more than a day of training, maybe with another NPC, or an event, or spending time in a specific location. Something like this:

Strength: Charname meets random NPC in the game (maybe someone like Bub Snikt or Scar). They talk and then he decided to show young charname how to train to be the ultimate warrior. Charname now has a better exercise regiment and has increased his muscle mass and athleticism. Represented by +1 STR.

Dexterity: Charname meets the Shadow Thieves. Renal Bloodscalp takes a liking to him and decides to show him some tricks of the trade. He has his assistants give him some pointers on how to hone his reflexes. He has to survive the "pit of death and bridges" in the Northeast corner of the Shadow Thieves compound. After this intense training regime, charname now has better reflexes and eye-hand coordination. Represented by +1 DEX.

Constitution: Charname visits the temple of Rasaad's monks. He speneds a day with them, learning to meditate and cleanse his body. The monks show the Bhaalspawn how to tap into his inner strength (or some other kung-fu chi-type shit) and become one with the force or whatever. He leaves the retreat with a greater fortitude than when he entered it. Represented by +1 CON.

Intelligence: Charname visits Thalantyr or Firebead in Beregost. The wise old mages ask him to interpret certain texts. Charname spends a couple hours a week studying the work, finding patterns, taking tests and solving various problems. Upon completion, the old wizard tells him that he has now honed his mind, and his perception is now sharper than when he began. Represented by +1 INT.

Wisdom: Charname visits the Temple of Helm/Lathander/Cyric/Talos/Torm/whatever or a Druid Grove. Watcher Oisig/some druid or priest tests charname judgement having him make difficult decisions that require insight and understanding. After failing repeatedly, the Bhaalspawn eventually gets the hang of it. He learns more about himself and how to interpret situations with a clear mind. Represented by +1 WIS.

Charisma: Rather than reading How to Make Friends and Influence people in one six second round, the Bhaalspawn meets either a bard/actor/celebrity (or some charming adventurer like Coran) or a leader of men (like a paladin/general... someone like Duke Eltan). By spending time with his new friend and observing his interactions (while asking for some good advice) Charname develops a sense of how to be a good leader, influence people, win admirers and have his companions respect him. Represented by +1 CHA.

Just an idea I've had recently, and a better roleplaying alternative to the tomes in my opinion. I would absolutely love to hear what other people say, so please share your ideas! :)
Post edited by booinyoureyes on

Comments

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Good suggestions. If they are implemented, all the better of course. But for me I'm fine with tomes as they are or at least I find them tolerable, I just think of them as extremely enlightening as to have an immediate effect on stats, or infused with powerful ancient magic.

Physical attributes might be the hardest to justify if not the latter reason. I just think of it as "better body (or any part thereof) positioning" to maximize muscular use or momentum or whatever, that among others.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,265
    Hrmm. I hate to say it, but those alternatives you mention remind me of JRPGs. I actually kind of like the mystical magic of the tomes as opposed to "I did a thing and I am now strong". Although it does make sense that you would be able to boost your abilities by such methods; I like magic in my fantasy setting.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Stat training is pretty common in just about any RPG so I don't think it'd be out of place in Baldur's Gate.

The PnP implementation of these tomes in 2e was a lot more realistic. You had to actually read them (taking 24 hours over a 3 day period or 48 hours over a 6 day period depending on the book) and the effects don't kick in for a full month, as your character is actually implementing new exercises, diets, mental discipline, etc. It's a magical item (disappears on use and such) but the effects are explicitly non-magical.

You could also use Wish to boost stats, which isn't incorporated into BG2. This wasn't particularly useful though because Wish ages your character by 5 years every time you use it in AD&D 2e. I'm also pretty sure that there was a limit to how much you could advance a stat by doing so (I think it took something like 10 wishes to increase a stat beyond 18 but I'm not sure). You couldn't even get around it by playing an Elf, because you couldn't pass level 15 as a Mage (so never got level 8/9 spells).
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2014
    I rather like the idea. When playing I always RP it as my character getting e.g. gradually wiser or stronger from all the adventures he's having rather than point-by-point by reading enchanted tomes.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Aw man. I think books in general are stupid (can just wait for the movie which is much more fun after all!), but every time I do like a book, noone else does :'(

Leave my tomes alone you big meanie!
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Does the AD&D BG is based off of have other means of increasing stats? Like later editions giving you bonus stats every few levels?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Shin said:

I rather like the idea. When playing I always RP it as my character getting e.g. gradually wiser or stronger from all the adventures he's having rather than point-by-point by reading enchanted tomes.

@shin In my last BG1ee playthrough I didn't use the books until toward the end for that reason. In fact, the reason I wrote this is because it was on my mind. I used a wisdom tome after going to the Monk Mountain. I chilled in the Sorcerous Sundries to use the intelligence tomb. I kinda like the idea of waiting.

@silverstar I'm kinda weird and actually prefer films over books on a couple of occasions. I prefer the Lord of the Rings movies tbh, and I liked the Watchmen movie more than the comic

I kinda like the idea of waiting.

I hope Sarevok does as well. Just before going to the duchal palace ceremony I took the boat to Woofy Island™, thinking it would take maybe a week or so... but then it took a whole freaking month, one way, and I wasn't back on proper land till like day 130-something I think. Grr. Naturally I felt I'd kept the poor grand dukes waiting long enough, but Sarevok is a douche and now that he's run into that maze I think I'll go have a look at Firewine Bridge ruins... maybe clear out Larswood too.

Having the tomes eat a few days of gametime I wouldn't mind all that much, though I still think magical tomes magically granting stats in a world full of magic is sensible enough.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2014
    Kaltzor said:

Does the AD&D BG is based off of have other means of increasing stats? Like later editions giving you bonus stats every few levels?

No, in 2e AD&D you don't get to add stat points via level up. In PnP rules, as the characters age their STR and CON drops while they gain wisdom and charisma. This can come into play as there are monsters that age their victims magicaly. For example a ghost's touch can age a human 10-40 years. If this aging puts the pc into an old age category he loses out STR and CON, but does not gain wisdom increase:he has not really lived the years to gain that insight.

In BG there are tomes and in BG2:ToB there is a magical machine in Watcher's keep to increase stats. In addition, some happenings in the end of SoA part of the game can also increase some stat points. Finally, there is Deck of Many Things, if you are lucky enough to draw a certain card it will give you +1 stat boost to your class prime ability.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @booinyoureyes
    In the spirit of your prior challenge to me:
    Reading is pun-damental.
    Before I see myself out yet again, I must say, this idea does intrigue me.
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    Obviously it would require quite an elaborate mod but I think the best way to implement +1 stat changes in the game would be through a series of party NPC interactions/quests. I see it sort of like the friendship dynamics in games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The +1 stat changes would be implemented when you gain the trust of a companion, with charisma coming from bards/paladins/druids, strength -fighters/barbarians, intelligence - mages/sorcerers, wisdom - clerics/druids, dexterity - thieves/monks, constitution - rangers.
    Pecca said:

I always viewed those tomes as being infused with powerful magic, not just manuals.

That's exactly what they are, their descriptions are pretty clear about there not being any real benefit from the books themselves.
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    IMO a magic spell bound to a magic book is a lot less stupid than doing some push ups for a single day and then suddenly becoming stronger. Magic I accept as part of the BG universe, becoming superhumanly strong after a single days exercise I do not.

If that were the case, wy doesn't EVERYONE have stats of 25? ;)
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    These tomes are canon, they existed in 2nd edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and behaved exactly the same as they do in Baldur's Gate.
    There has always been only two ways to improve your stats : Tomes, and Wish spell.
    ... I gotta visit the thieves guild again now. Thank you KidCarnival.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    To be fair, it's magic. And magic in D&D is omnipresent, starting from 'I cast Magic Missile and kill the Diseased Gibberling. Maybe.' and going all the way to the 'I cast Supernova and level that star system. And that one.' level. Honestly, if these stat increases were caused by a potion rather than a book, I doubt most people would bat an eyelash.

That said, I'd always welcome different ways to gain stat points. Finding ways in-game to acquire bonuses outside the normal level system has always been great fun for me, which is why I really enjoyed games like Arcanum and Fallout as well.
    egon said:

IMO a magic spell bound to a magic book is a lot less stupid than doing some push ups for a single day and then suddenly becoming stronger. Magic I accept as part of the BG universe, becoming superhumanly strong after a single days exercise I do not.

If that were the case, wy doesn't EVERYONE have stats of 25? ;)

I'd think the idea is more that you go from a relatively sheltered and calm life to one where you constantly fight for your life, march long distances carrying heavy gear, encounter a lot of people and lead a party into battle. It makes a certain amount of sense that after a few months of that you'd be a bit stronger, wiser, more durable and more charismatic.
    Onestep said:

That said, I'd always welcome different ways to gain stat points. Finding ways in-game to acquire bonuses outside the normal level system has always been great fun for me, which is why I really enjoyed games like Arcanum and Fallout as well.

Not to sound like one of those Torment fanbois (it -is- a good game though), but have you tried Torment? It has a lot of stat gains related to doing... lots of different things really. I remember getting at least 3 charisma points or so through various sources and had quite a few intelligence and wisdom gains too. And yes, Arcanum and the Fallouts are sweet games indeed.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2014

The only kind of person to not use a con tome would be someone who would rather give it to a person who needs it more (i.e. a healthy priest finds such a tome and decides to give it to someone with an illness). And that kind of person doesn't hide it in a cave.

I can't recall where that Con tome is, nonetheless, that sounds like Batman. Faerunean Batman, maybe? One more reason why he didn't use it...because he's effin Batman, and 25 is the stat cap.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    edited January 2014

Onestep said:

Not to sound like one of those Torment fanbois (it -is- a good game though), but have you tried Torment? It has a lot of stat gains related to doing... lots of different things really. I remember getting at least 3 charisma points or so through various sources and had quite a few intelligence and wisdom gains too. And yes, Arcanum and the Fallouts are sweet games indeed.
    Yeah, I have. Frankly, it's an amazing game and somewhat unique in that the action parts were so obviously secondary to the dialogue. I really, really enjoyed the huge amount of dialogue options in any given scenario, and how your stats genuinely affected the story, rather than just being there and no-one referencing the fact that you are literally the most wise and intelligent being in existence.

Sadly, while BG has much better gameplay, it's really quite rare that your stats play a major role outside of combat.
    Post edited by Onestep on
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Illustair said:

The only kind of person to not use a con tome would be someone who would rather give it to a person who needs it more (i.e. a healthy priest finds such a tome and decides to give it to someone with an illness). And that kind of person doesn't hide it in a cave.

I can't recall where that Con tome is, nonetheless, that sounds like Batman. Faerunean Batman, maybe? One more reason why he didn't use it...because he's effin Batman, and 25 is the stat cap.
    It's in the cave from Safana's quest. I'd say it's a pirate treasure hidden there - makes sense, considering her backstory and the location of the cave - and pirates would probably not hide such a useful item and leave it to rot there or "for the next one who may need it more". Other folks may not use it due to "balance" reasons (druid wants to stay the way nature made them) or because someone who truly "needs it more" comes along (stored in a temple and guarded by priests) - but pirates, of all people, would use it.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I also do not think that the concepts of tomes that allow STAT improvement to be so strange or unusual. Aside from the magical nature of the book itself, can any of us deny that a book written by, maybe a(n intelligent) body builder, wouldn't have tips and clues that would allow us mere mortals the insights into how to truly maximize your strength? Or some health guru perhaps imparting healthy eating and exercise tips which greatly increase stamina and endurance? or some Lama in some cave somewhere who imparts the deeper insights into the nature of the universe? Or maybe one of the Kardashians (joke) writing about how to win friends and influence people more easily through beauty and fashion tips???

But at the end of the day, even if the words in the books mean nothing, the magical nature of the enchantments placed on the tomes themselves could seem to imbue the reader with some mystical enhancements. This, I think, is the most reasonable and likely explanation and not in any way beyond the realm of possibility in the world of Faerun.

I might agree that having nine of them just lying around is a bit of a stretch, but considering it is a single player game, and the Charname is supposed to be something more than mortal, I can forgive such extravagance. I would suspect that they were included for those players not as familiar with the rules who might have 'Accidentally' shorted themselves in some areas. Or maybe they were included to allow some of the dual classing that can take place with some of the NPCs given proper planning. Just a thought.