Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    ShYariv said:

Ehlastra is an anagram of Shar-Teal, which is almost Shar-Teel.

Now I want to make a quickie mod that changes her name from Ehlastra to Elhastre
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    ThacoBell said:

Half-Orcs have a hilarious interaction where you can call them out of being condescendingly racist.

That's Beamdog addition...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Pantalion said:

Did You Know: "It would be better if BG was closer to PnP" edition

Paladins.

Paladins, being bound by vows of poverty, may only be carry a maximum of ten magic items. This includes their maximum of one suit of armour, four weapons, and one shield.

Likewise, if CHARNAME is a paladin, this vow of poverty would impose a 25,000 gold cap on the party (an amount of money for "living modestly" and being put aside for good causes and the maintenance of a small castle). 10% of all gold the party picks up would be instantly lost, because the paladin is required to donate it to charity.

But if we're going by PnP rules, monetary loot is divided among the characters, so only the Paladin would be restricted and everyone would have to buy their own equipment out of their share.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Redrake Apologies, I should know better than to infer tone on a forum. That does make curious as to the intent of your comment though.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    All these restrictions and clever ways to make your characters' lives miserable is really what put me off PnP.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    BillyYank said:

Pantalion said:

Did You Know: "It would be better if BG was closer to PnP" edition

Paladins.

Paladins, being bound by vows of poverty, may only be carry a maximum of ten magic items. This includes their maximum of one suit of armour, four weapons, and one shield.

Likewise, if CHARNAME is a paladin, this vow of poverty would impose a 25,000 gold cap on the party (an amount of money for "living modestly" and being put aside for good causes and the maintenance of a small castle). 10% of all gold the party picks up would be instantly lost, because the paladin is required to donate it to charity.

But if we're going by PnP rules, monetary loot is divided among the characters, so only the Paladin would be restricted and everyone would have to buy their own equipment out of their share.
    When my protagonist is a paladin I usually donate 10% of my gold to to temples to emphasize his vows.
    10% of your total gold at the moment of donation, or 10% of the increase?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Pokota said:

10% of your total gold at the moment of donation, or 10% of the increase?

Let's just say that whenever I get to a temple of the god my character follows a donation is made.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    lroumen said:

All this gold is confusing though. Doesn't commerce break down into copper and silver coins foremost? Begging for gold is actually asking for a fortune!

Electrum coins for beggers, silver for barkeeps, gold for shopkeeps, platinum for easy hoard transport :)
    Aerakar said:

Electrum coins for beggers, silver for barkeeps, gold for shopkeeps, platinum for easy hoard transport :)

If you give electrum to an alchemist, can they make gold and silver out of it?

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Pokota said:

I don't think you need an alchemist for that. Just melt it, the silver will melt first, so collect all of that, and you're left with the gold.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Pantalion said:

Hey, at least you can then sell the Soultaker Dagger for 1000 GP in the inn and nobody will care.

Surely you should give it to the dwarf and get the hammer as a reward, or doesn't that work?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Pantalion said:

Hey, at least you can then sell the Soultaker Dagger for 1000 GP in the inn and nobody will care.

Surely you should give it to the dwarf and get the hammer as a reward, or doesn't that work?
    Doesn't work, dwarf will never accept, or even recognise, the dagger, even if you bypass the cultists and try and hand it over. Just pick his pocket before he disappears in a puff of plot. TotSC quests are some of my personal least favourites for this sort of thing.

Pokota said:

I don't think you need an alchemist for that. Just melt it, the silver will melt first, so collect all of that, and you're left with the gold.
    Alloys don't work that way in general, and you have about a 102°C range to melt the silver without melting the gold.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Pokota said:

Pokota said:

Alloys don't work that way in general, and you have about a 102°C range to melt the silver without melting the gold.
    If metal mixtures worked that way you'd never be able to use mercury in fillings (or any alloy not kept in a freezer).
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited November 2017
    Sure you can! All you need is a perpetual motion machine, which I am selling for the low low price of $19.95 plus $350 shipping and handling.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    :D
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    tbone1 said:

Sure you can! All you need is a perpetual motion machine, which I am selling for the low low price of $19.95 plus $350 shipping and handling.

Do you accept payment in Nigerian dollars? :tongue: