Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    I had a component made on the old Auril's Bane mod for IWD1. True Dragon Icasarcht. Made her an ancient dragon in stats and HPs. Obviously I couldn't up her size.

Maybe I should make some CREs for all dragons in BG games, in accordance with their age...

OTOH, it might be possible that Firkraag was born with a genetic deficiency (he was a midget).
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857

Ahem. The preferred term is "dragon of short stature", I believe.

:D
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Pantalion said:

Incidentally, in terms of size Firkraag might seem young, but in terms of stats, with -11 AC, level 4 spells (though he should also get three priest spells), 23 Hitdice and 65% MR, he's very much in the "Great Wyrm" category at 1,200+ years.

In fact, so many of the dragons you face are apparently Great Wyrm age, by the end of the trilogy the age of all your party's murders added together probably adds up to more years than all known human history.

I wouldn't trust his stats as he may quite possibly be a 3rd edition adaptation of a red dragon (In 3E an adult red dragon would be around 23hd and 180 hps).

Also, judging from his dialogue lines he doesn't seem *that* old or legendary for a great wyrm, but rather an ambitous adult or young adult.

The only dragon I would call great wyrm is Adalon, who seems to remember the very beginings of Ust Natha and even the drow treat her as if she were some sort of myth.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Pantalion said:

DJKajuru said:

I wouldn't trust his stats as he may quite possibly be a 3rd edition adaptation of a red dragon (In 3E an adult red dragon would be around 23hd and 180 hps).

Also, judging from his dialogue lines he doesn't seem *that* old or legendary for a great wyrm, but rather an ambitous adult or young adult.

The only dragon I would call great wyrm is Adalon, who seems to remember the very beginings of Ust Natha and even the drow treat her as if she were some sort of myth.

Well, according to the AD&D monster manual, the base stats of red dragon are:

15 Hit Dice (younger ages below juveniles give negative Hitdice, above juvenile gives bonus hitdice, Great Wyrms get +8, or 23.)
    -3 AC (Again, Great Wyrms get -8: -11 AC)
    MR: 30% at Young Adult, +5% per age range above that, up to 65%)

And Great Wyrms get, specifically, up to level 4 arcane spells. Firkraag casts Polymorph Self on top of Fire Shield etc, meaning he's at least "Wyrm" age.

Great Wyrms also have saves the same as an 18th level Fighter: 3/5/4/4/6 - just like Firkraag.

Finally, there's Dragon Fear, and the save penalties vary by age. Great Wyrms, and only Great Wyrms, get a -4 save penalty, again, just like Firkraag.

All in all, a pretty good AD&D "Great Wyrm" stat line.

The big let down is that as a red dragon, Firkraag should have had two claw attacks at 1D10 each, and a bite attack at 3D10, rather than his rather piddly 1D12 claw. Someone want to mod him so he's dual wielding a 3D10 jaw?

He also should have had 24, not 25, strength, since Great Wyrms add 12 to damage, not 14.
    I see your point that Firkraag is as strong as a great wyrm, but I stand by the fact that he doesn't sound or look like one.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

In the original games, without patches, it was possible to pickpocket items that were supposed to be available only when you killed the critter in question. You could pickpocket Adalon's blood, Firkraag's scales, or even Ihtafeer's and Draconis' heads.

I'm still trying to imagine how you can pickpocket someone's head... or blood...