Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    That if you have a charisma of 18 you get the following benefits:

In Candlekeep you are given a dagger +1 for delivering the bolts.

In the FAI you are given a few potions of slow poison from the man who wants you to clear his house of spiders.

If you rescue the cat in the waterfall, you are given a scroll as a reward.

I think that there are other benefits.

A drawback of having high charisma as that you are not given Lord Foreshadow's ring.

The Friendly Arm Inn one I'm pretty sure works based on your reaction, which is both your charisma and reputation combined.

I always wait to do that quest until I'm on my way to the Cloakwood Mines, because by then with a reputation of 20 they pretty much give you the max number of antidotes regardless of your charisma.

The cat quest I never realized had a lesser reward for lower charismas though.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Wise_Grimwald Lord Foreshadow's ring is mod content.

You are right it comes from BG1 NPC Project. I never play the game without that mod.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited August 2019
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    A sizable number of the entries in the first editions of the monster manual were never reprinted anywhere else. A not insignificant number of them are also just sentient circular objects that want to roll you over.

One of these is kinda notable though, the Cat Lord. Rumored to be a god or demigod, and certainly associated with some gods, the Cat Lord had crazy good stats and some great magical abilities to go with it. They always refer to him as singular, THE Cat Lord, so there is only one. His abilities should be more or less self explanatory.

What happened to the Cat Lord? Did he transition to another plane of existence? Has he been hiding in cat form for multiple editions of DnD? These are the questions that nobody cares about but me.

The Cat Lord was in the 3rd Edition Epic Level Handbook. He was listed as a 37th-level rogue, challenge rating 39. Among his various abilities is the power to summon "10d6 domestic cats, 3d6 lions or tigers, or 2d6 dire tigers as a full round action, once per day."

Good find! Now I have to get that handbook.

37th level, man that's high. Dude could take on Big El with those levels.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    A sizable number of the entries in the first editions of the monster manual were never reprinted anywhere else. A not insignificant number of them are also just sentient circular objects that want to roll you over.

One of these is kinda notable though, the Cat Lord. Rumored to be a god or demigod, and certainly associated with some gods, the Cat Lord had crazy good stats and some great magical abilities to go with it. They always refer to him as singular, THE Cat Lord, so there is only one. His abilities should be more or less self explanatory.

What happened to the Cat Lord? Did he transition to another plane of existence? Has he been hiding in cat form for multiple editions of DnD? These are the questions that nobody cares about but me.

The Cat Lord was in the 3rd Edition Epic Level Handbook. He was listed as a 37th-level rogue, challenge rating 39. Among his various abilities is the power to summon "10d6 domestic cats, 3d6 lions or tigers, or 2d6 dire tigers as a full round action, once per day."

The 3rd Edition Epic Level Handbook also has an entry for Elminster, who is 35th-level (Wizard 24/Archmage 5/Fighter 1/Rogue 2/Cleric 3), and is also Challenge Rating 39. He probably would've been even higher level were it not for those enormous multiclassing XP penalties. ;)
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Balrog99 wrote: »

The 3rd Edition Epic Level Handbook also has an entry for Elminster, who is 35th-level (Wizard 24/Archmage 5/Fighter 1/Rogue 2/Cleric 3), and is also Challenge Rating 39. He probably would've been even higher level were it not for those enormous multiclassing XP penalties. ;)

My money's still on the Cat Lord. Do you know how much damage 10-60 freaked out domestic cats can do?

At a bare minimum they could tear through a lot of stoneskins really fast.

If it works like in Baldur's Gate where 1 damage interrupts a spell that's gonna be a problem too.

Do the cats follow the Cat Lord's orders or are they just sort of a new presence in the battlefield?
    edited August 2019

Kind of weird to think the greatest mage in the Forgotten Realms only has an Effective Caster Level of 29. That's high, yeah, but I mean, the maximum is above 40...

I believe most cats fall under the direct control of the Cat Lord.
    elminster wrote: »
    In the FAI you are given a few potions of slow poison from the woman who wants you to clear her house of spiders.

Fixed :)

Must be something to do with a certain belt that is a highly sought after item since a number of people seem to have become disatisfied with their bodies of late. :D
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Is that any different to the end you had in mind for Zhalimar after you petrified him? Or were you going to Stone to Flesh him before killing?
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I guess he got chunked when he lost his berserk bonus HP. Neat!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Here's what happens if a berserker is petrified when their berserker rage wears off:

fhjq0iiwmz2g.png

Let me guess: solo sorcerer!
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Nice! My favourite way to play transmuter. Disintegration all over the place.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Chanticleer is also the name of an Elvis Presley impersonating rooster from Rock-A-Doodle. Anyone here remember that movie?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Chanticleer is also the name of an Elvis Presley impersonating rooster from Rock-A-Doodle. Anyone here remember that movie?

Evil owls trying to stop the sun from shining, and only Elvis-chicken could save the day. Utterly bizarre.
    @Chronicler If you want to have a Sunite Paladin in your party, the Isra mod is what you need. She is level 2 no matter what your own level, so get her early if you want her.
    Death spells always reflect back upon the caster on Mount Celestia.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2019
    the_spyder wrote: »
    Also, the riddle that the djinni pops on you in Chez Irenicus at the beginning of BG2 is actually 'the prisoner's dilemma in disguise.

To tell the truth, the two games are a bit different.

As a matter of fact, the Nash equilibria in pure strategies are given by (death, freedom), (freedom, death) and (death, death). Therefore, both answers ("press" and "not press") make sense for Nash (in other words: no strategy is strictly dominated in this case).
    If <CHARNAME> presses the button, then the other player won't press it (otherwise she'll die) – if <CHARNAME> doesn't press the button, then the other player can either press it or not (she's indifferent because in both cases she'll die).
    The real Prisoner's Dilemma is different because in that game there's just one Nash equilibrium in pure strategies: the two players need to confess and that's it.

Fun fact: I've recently found out that in KOTOR 1 you're asked to solve the Prisoner's Dilemma when you're on Kashyyyk: it's easy to say that the correct answer is (2,2) after studying Noncooperative Games: "confess" is a strictly dominant strategy for both players.

Is there a game theorist that can confirm :) ?
    Post edited by _Luke_ on