Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Did you know?

1147148149150151153»

Comments

  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 4,395
    Bubb wrote: »
    Did you know that any attack a thief makes while invisible will ignore the target's AC dexterity bonus?

    To be exact, the attack must follow these rules:
    1) Attacker must have a backstab multiplier of 2 or higher
    2) Attacker must be STATE_INVISIBLE
    3) Attacker's weapon must not be RANGED

    In the following example:
    - Attacking character THAC0 = 17
    - Attacked character AC = 0, (dexterity contributing -4 bonus)

    The thief's attack only requires a total roll of 13 to hit, even though a roll of 17 is required normally:
    549zfpevtj18.gif

    However, this mechanic isn't implemented properly...

    If the attacked character has a *penalty* to AC due to dexterity, they will be harder to hit while being attacked under the above conditions.

    In the following example:
    - Attacking character THAC0 = 17
    - Attacked character AC = 9, (dexterity contributing +5 penalty)

    The thief's attack should only require a total roll of 8 to hit, though a roll of 13 is now required:
    plqslpksgbw3.gif

    Maybe the attacker just doesn't believe it's possible to be that slow...

    AerakarWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 2,248
    AionZ wrote: »
    The Guard button (that thing nobody uses) has a gamebreakingly powerful bug for ranged fighters. If an archer Guards a party member who walks out of their range and gets attacked, the archer will automatically attack the enemy with their ranged weapon from their current point, regardless of distance or any walls in the way. You can shoot someone while standing on the opposite side of the map.

    That explains things that have happened in my games. :)

  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,657
    AionZ wrote: »
    The Guard button (that thing nobody uses) has a gamebreakingly powerful bug for ranged fighters. If an archer Guards a party member who walks out of their range and gets attacked, the archer will automatically attack the enemy with their ranged weapon from their current point, regardless of distance or any walls in the way. You can shoot someone while standing on the opposite side of the map.

    So you're saying that there is a way to give longbows their historical range. >:)

    Wise_GrimwaldThacoBelllolien
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 823
    Just noticed the Dragon Disciple's Breath Weapon offers no saving throw.

    So while its damage dice aren't all that impressive, it won't do reduced damage against enemies with high saves, so I'm thinking maybe it comes out looking pretty good when it counts?

    Like we've all had that pesky dwarven fighter who just shrugs all our wily magics. Try breathing some fire at him next time and see how it works out.

    RaduzielJuliusBorisovWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 823
    Lorewise, Shamans can be in two places at once, kind of, a little bit. The Complete Divine's Shaman Description
    Spirit Guide: All spirit shamans have a spirit guide, a personification of the spirit world. In some sense a spirit shaman and her guide are one being, both knowing and seeing and experiencing the same things. Unlike a familiar, a spirit guide is not a separate entity from a spirit shaman. She is the only one who can perceive or interact with her guide. It exists only inside her own mind and soul.

    The spirit shaman’s spirit guide confers greater awareness of her surroundings, and grants her the Alertness feat. The spirit guide grants additional abilities at 5th and 10th level (see Follow the Guide and Guide Magic, below).

    The exact form of the spirit guide is chosen by the spirit shaman at 1st level, usually for the qualities it represents, as shown above. The exact form of a spirit guide is purely personal preference, and confers no special advantages or disadvantages.


    Raduziel
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 823
    Nobody knows why shadowdancers can shadowdance. They seem to have a sort of intuitive, weak connection to the shadow weave, much like a sorcerer, but whether it comes from a bloodline or exposure to some shadow element or what have you eludes every shadowcaster who has attempted to study them.

    You could probably rewrite Neera's storyline to be about a shadowdancer with very little alteration.

    Wise_Grimwald
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 4,395
    edited July 18
    elminster wrote: »
    Chronicler wrote: »
    The complete ranger's handbook says stalkers can only use weapons that are easy to conceal, and lists these as "blowgun, dagger, dart, knife, short sword, staff, and sling. Optional: garrote, rapier (walking stick), stiletto."

    It also says that in addition to the standard racial enemy options, they can choose any specific thieves guild or assassins guild as their racial enemy.

    Any time a stalker talks to somebody, they can run an intelligence check to discern their alignment and their honesty. I suppose in Baldur's Gate this could've been implemented as an innate Know Alignment, like how paladins have an innate Detect Evil, but that spell's useless anyway.

    It's funny how none of these weapon restrictions exist for stalkers meanwhile the beastmaster gets a quarterstaff, club, or non-thrown ranged weapon and that's it. Even though in 2E it actually is limited to.

    "A Beastmaster is initially limited to weapons that he can make himself: axe (any), club, dagger, dart, javelin, knife, quarterstaff, sling, or spear."

    And that is only for his initial proficiencies.

    Also even then being restricted from getting proficiency in a weapon is not the same as not being able to use that weapon (for some ethical or ideological reason)

    Beastmaster would be far more interesting if they expanded the familiars to include wolves, bears, eagles, owls, wolverines, or large cats. I don't think it would be too hard to implement that. They already have granted them a familiar, unfortunately it's really just an artificial HP boost and a Dragon (which makes absolutely no sense, at least let them choose from the neutral pool!).

    Chroniclerelminstermlneveselolien
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 823
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    elminster wrote: »
    Chronicler wrote: »
    The complete ranger's handbook says stalkers can only use weapons that are easy to conceal, and lists these as "blowgun, dagger, dart, knife, short sword, staff, and sling. Optional: garrote, rapier (walking stick), stiletto."

    It also says that in addition to the standard racial enemy options, they can choose any specific thieves guild or assassins guild as their racial enemy.

    Any time a stalker talks to somebody, they can run an intelligence check to discern their alignment and their honesty. I suppose in Baldur's Gate this could've been implemented as an innate Know Alignment, like how paladins have an innate Detect Evil, but that spell's useless anyway.

    It's funny how none of these weapon restrictions exist for stalkers meanwhile the beastmaster gets a quarterstaff, club, or non-thrown ranged weapon and that's it. Even though in 2E it actually is limited to.

    "A Beastmaster is initially limited to weapons that he can make himself: axe (any), club, dagger, dart, javelin, knife, quarterstaff, sling, or spear."

    And that is only for his initial proficiencies.

    Also even then being restricted from getting proficiency in a weapon is not the same as not being able to use that weapon (for some ethical or ideological reason)

    Beastmaster would be far more interesting if they expanded the familiars to include wolves, bears, eagles, owls, wolverines, or large cats. I don't think it would be too hard to implement that. They already have granted them a familiar, unfortunately it's really just an artificial HP boost and a Dragon (which makes absolutely no sense, at least let them choose from the neutral pool!).

    Ranger progression is weird in Baldur's Gate in a few ways.

    You don't get tracking until epic levels. You don't get an animal companion until your stronghold, and even then it's only a Drizzt Type statuette that you can use to summon the animal companion periodically, not a constant presence.

    I feel like these are both pretty basic and fundamental parts of the ranger experience to put off until such high levels.

    Balrog99ThacoBellAerakar
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 4,395
    edited July 18
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    elminster wrote: »
    Chronicler wrote: »
    The complete ranger's handbook says stalkers can only use weapons that are easy to conceal, and lists these as "blowgun, dagger, dart, knife, short sword, staff, and sling. Optional: garrote, rapier (walking stick), stiletto."

    It also says that in addition to the standard racial enemy options, they can choose any specific thieves guild or assassins guild as their racial enemy.

    Any time a stalker talks to somebody, they can run an intelligence check to discern their alignment and their honesty. I suppose in Baldur's Gate this could've been implemented as an innate Know Alignment, like how paladins have an innate Detect Evil, but that spell's useless anyway.

    It's funny how none of these weapon restrictions exist for stalkers meanwhile the beastmaster gets a quarterstaff, club, or non-thrown ranged weapon and that's it. Even though in 2E it actually is limited to.

    "A Beastmaster is initially limited to weapons that he can make himself: axe (any), club, dagger, dart, javelin, knife, quarterstaff, sling, or spear."

    And that is only for his initial proficiencies.

    Also even then being restricted from getting proficiency in a weapon is not the same as not being able to use that weapon (for some ethical or ideological reason)

    Beastmaster would be far more interesting if they expanded the familiars to include wolves, bears, eagles, owls, wolverines, or large cats. I don't think it would be too hard to implement that. They already have granted them a familiar, unfortunately it's really just an artificial HP boost and a Dragon (which makes absolutely no sense, at least let them choose from the neutral pool!).

    Ranger progression is weird in Baldur's Gate in a few ways.

    You don't get tracking until epic levels. You don't get an animal companion until your stronghold, and even then it's only a Drizzt Type statuette that you can use to summon the animal companion periodically, not a constant presence.

    I feel like these are both pretty basic and fundamental parts of the ranger experience to put off until such high levels.

    Even Grizzly Adams had a bear companion and he certainly was no ranger!

    Edit: I guess you can always RP that Wilson is your companion when you play a Ranger. That's a cool option that wasn't there before the EE...

    ThacoBelllolienAerakar
Sign In or Register to comment.