Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Hey argent77.

Do you think a play game button would be a handy feature? This would open icewind.exe if you had IWD opened in NI. I'm certainly missing it for sure!

An example of what i mean (but there is probably a much better place to put it)

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    A feature like this sounds easy in theory, but is probably quite difficult to implement as it has to be done in a multi-platform compatible way. It would also be difficult to autodetect the executables for all games. I have to see what is possible in Java first before I can say more.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    You make a creature, assign a script name to it, save, double-check, and scripts show "Warning" and fail to call the creature by that name. Has this happened to anyone else?
    edited May 2017
    I can't say anything without having more information. What are the creature resource and script names? Which script commands are triggering warnings? (And did you restart NI after making changes to the CRE script name? Current NI version contains a bug that prevents updating CRE name cache when you refresh the game via "Game > Refresh Tree" or using shortcut F5).
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    Good question. I'll see what I can come up with.

For now you can press the "Edit" button to open the selected strref in the talk table editor (which allows you to switch to the female string table).
    edited November 2019
    edited May 2017
    More recent NI versions provide a greatly improved string editor which also allows you to easily switch between male and female string versions:
    edited November 2019
    edited May 2017
    Never mind. Issue solved.
  • badungubadungu Member Posts: 53
    @argent77,

thanks for your hard work on NI, I investigated worldmap modding today and found a little description bug. ;)

https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/blob/98ed901d2c5af03732017ba14bf4986ec77b67c5/src/org/infinity/resource/wmp/AreaLinkSouth.java#L14

I think WMP_LINK_SOUTH = "North link" should be WMP_LINK_SOUTH = "South link". :)
    Good catch! Will be fixed.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    @argent77

This is probably a stupid question, but anyway - is it possible, and if yes, how, to use NI to collect all resources (say, spells) that have a certain opcode tied to them?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Aasim - yes, use the extended search feature.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    That did it, thanx.
    I've got to complain that clicking away from edited saved games, GAM files, often does not bring up a Save? window. You have to go back to them and click away again. Sometimes the changes are lost, sometimes IE just doesn't react to your departure from the file. This problem was mostly solved for other resources, but GAMs are really bad.
    argent77 said:

A feature like this sounds easy in theory, but is probably quite difficult to implement as it has to be done in a multi-platform compatible way. It would also be difficult to autodetect the executables for all games. I have to see what is possible in Java first before I can say more.

That's a great idea for sure, especially if you can somehow bypass the opening cinematics. 20 tests in a row with Nietzsche aren't fun even for a superman like me. Maybe a "load and play this saved game" function next to it?

Just work. Work! :D
    chimeric said:

I've got to complain that clicking away from edited saved games, GAM files, often does not bring up a Save? window. You have to go back to them and click away again. Sometimes the changes are lost, sometimes IE just doesn't react to your departure from the file. This problem was mostly solved for other resources, but GAMs are really bad.

GAM resources should not be different from other structured resource types in this regard. Can you give me steps how to reproduce this issue?

chimeric said:

Just work. Work! :D

NI is open source. Code contributions are always welcome. ;)
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    1. You can easily use NI to rename the files for the opening movies. You start the game and are right at the selection screen. I always do that to shorten game start and can go right to *continue* within seconds. Even without disabling them this way, ESC skips them.
    2. I have done hundreds of edits to gam and sav files and never had a single issue with saving any. I always have the latest NI version published by Argent77 and use it on windows 10.

Keep up the good work but don't waste energy on nitty gritty.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    argent77 said:

GAM resources should not be different from other structured resource types in this regard. Can you give me steps how to reproduce this issue?

I can think of two possibilities:
    + all savegames have the exact same filename, while NI expects filenames to be unique. If I open one BALDUR.GAM, I can click on any of the other BALDUR.GAM and it doesn't actually switch to the new one, the old one remains open on the right side. Same happens for any other identically named files (BALDUR.SAV, BALDUR.MAP, PORTRT0/1/2...).
    + if you open one of a resource's substructures(abilities,effects,etc..) in a new window, then click on another file before making any actual changes, you will not be prompted or able to save any changes made in that substructure window. I do this all the time when I just need to compare/lookup things without making changes.
    The first possibility should be solvable without too much effort (and hopefully no undesired side effects).

The second possibility can most likely only be solved by force-closing child windows when the parent resource is closed. I'd prefer to keep the current behavior.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    argent77 said:

I'd prefer to keep the current behavior.

As would I.
  • GlammKGlammK Member Posts: 0
    Being an initiate to IWD:EE modding, I only downloaded mods so far, but yet to make new things from scratch.

I downloaded NI, along with Java. Had Java on my Cdrive ; the NI tucked in my IWD:EE on Ddrive. Tried to run NI.jar but got instead a prompt on choosing which program to run it on. I think it is not Notepad or Wordpad, could anyone point me to the right direction ?
    NearInfinity.jar should start fine if Java has been installed successfully. You might have to close and reopen your file manager (Windows Explorer) to register the new file associations, if it was open during Java installation. If you're not sure that Java has been installed correctly you could try to uninstall and reinstall it again.
  • pnifonpnifon Member Posts: 3
    Hi to everyone,
    I recently installed planescape for android in my tablet.
    I tried to edit a saved game with near infinity by moving it to my pc.
    When i tried to save the baldur.gam file after changing my xp points, the file generated seems corrapted and when i reopened it with near infinity it shows like chinese and is not readable. Did anyone encounter the same problem before? Please help.
    @pnifon Make sure you're using a recent Near Infinity release (v2.1-20170529). You can find version info via menu Help > About Near Infinity. Older releases may corrupt PST:EE savegames.

Could you also zip and attach the savegame in question?
  • pnifonpnifon Member Posts: 3
    @argent77 thank you for the reply. It seems I had downlowded an older version of nearinfinity. With the latest version the problems I mentioned were solved.
    Again thank you very much.
    By the way Is there a way to run nearinfinity to android?
    pnifon said:

By the way Is there a way to run nearinfinity to android?

I don't think so. Near Infinity requires Java to run. I don't think there is a Java Runtime available for Android that supports all required features, including GUI libraries.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    A minor feature request: when viewing dialogue files, specifically transitions with journal entries, it would be nice to have some indication as to whether it's solved, unsolved, or a note journal entry without having to flip over into the edit tab. IOW, some way in the view screen to see which flags (6-8) are set on the journal entry, perhaps something as simple as changing "Journal entry:" to "Solved/Unsolved/Info journal entry:".