Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Argent77 - Subtledoctor raised an issue on the NearInfinity-OS Github page, and I'm not sure what the default behavior for Ni is supposed to be:

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/NearInfinity-OSX/issues/2
    Whenever I open any instance of NI, from any directory, it remembers the last game I had open. If I want to inspect the files in a different game - including the game in the same directory as this instance of NI - I have to go to the menu and select "open" and then choose a chitin.key from the dialogue. Is there a setting anywhere that will make NI open the copy of chitin.key in the same folder as the copy of the NI executable I am running? This is how it used to behave, and it was more convenient - when I wanted to look at my IWDEE files, I would run the copy of NI in the IWDEE folder; when I wanted to look at my SoD files, I would run the copy of NI in the SoD folder; etc.

So, if NI is launched from within a game folder, should it launch with the local CHITIN.KEY open or the last opened CHITIN.KEY?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    So, if NI is launched from within a game folder, should it launch with the local CHITIN.KEY open or the last opened CHITIN.KEY?
    NI looks for a game in the following order:
    1. in the current directory
    2. the last game opened by NI
    3. via file dialog where you can specify the chitin.key of the game

I don't know which path is considered "current directory" when the packaged version of NI is launched on macOS. But it is possible that it's not the game directory. In that case it will fall back to the last opened game.

Opening different games should be easier with the latest NI version though, by:
    1. Bookmarking the games (menu Games > Bookmarked games > Add current game...)
    2. Then selecting a bookmarked game from the menu, or using keyboard shortcuts to quickly switch to another game. Shortcuts on macOS are: ⌘ + ⌥ + [digit] for the first 10 bookmarked games, ⌘ + ⌥ + ⇧ + [digit] for bookmarks 11-20.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    argent77 wrote: »
    NI looks for a game in the following order:
    1. in the current directory
    2. the last game opened by NI
    3. via file dialog where you can specify the chitin.key of the game

I don't know which path is considered "current directory" when the packaged version of NI is launched on macOS. But it is possible that it's not the game directory. In that case it will fall back to the last opened game.

Opening different games should be easier with the latest NI version though, by:
    1. Bookmarking the games (menu Games > Bookmarked games > Add current game...)
    2. Then selecting a bookmarked game from the menu, or using keyboard shortcuts to quickly switch to another game. Shortcuts on macOS are: ⌘ + ⌥ + [digit] for the first 10 bookmarked games, ⌘ + ⌥ + ⇧ + [digit] for bookmarks 11-20.

I did a little digging into how macOS works. When you run an app via the Finder (i.e., double click), the working folder is NOT the folder it was launched from.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68850314/how-to-set-the-working-directory-of-an-executable-program-in-mac-osx

So, it appears that case #1 won't work for NearInfinity-OSX with the new packaged launcher.
  • TaumsalkTaumsalk Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2022
    Hi, can someone give me some tips on how to edit passive abilities, such as the monk's immunity to charm at lvl 9. I am making some modifications to monks, like some others, to make them more enjoyable in the first game, without changing the later ones.
    Post edited by Taumsalk on
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Thank you for the new versions, best tool to explore the game. Is there any chance that the map preview can display Points of Interest and related dialogue?
    Dark_Ansem wrote: »
    Thank you for the new versions, best tool to explore the game. Is there any chance that the map preview can display Points of Interest and related dialogue?

Points of Interest can be visualized in the map viewer by enabling the "Regions" layer. What exactly do you mean with "related dialogue"?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i seem to be having some troubles with my "rndtres.2da" table, i have added more "rndxxx" .2da tables for rndtres to read, but it seems to only be reading the default .2da ones, @argent77 do you by chance know why this could be happening? im using NI v2.2-20210501
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    No game reads additional random tables. If you want to add additional random treasure, add new lines to rndtres.2da alone.
    No game reads additional random tables. If you want to add additional random treasure, add new lines to rndtres.2da alone.

sucky
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Just chiming in to say thank you for the continued support of this nifty tool
  • thiagodcfthiagodcf Member Posts: 9
    just to make it official

I have a favor to ask about near infinity. Im a BG2EE translator, and Im working with Near infinity to review dialog.tlk... Ive found some wrong words/names in a this "on going" project, but its a real pain correcting all with ctrl+c and ctrl+v to replace thing by thing manually...

can you please add a "replace all" option at "Search > StringRef lookup" like this picture (of course, dont need to be that much complex, its just an exemple)
    the ideia is to replace words or phrases at once
    edited March 2023
    thiagodcf wrote: »
    I have a favor to ask about near infinity. Im a BG2EE translator, and Im working with Near infinity to review dialog.tlk... Ive found some wrong words/names in a this "on going" project, but its a real pain correcting all with ctrl+c and ctrl+v to replace thing by thing manually...

can you please add a "replace all" option at "Search > StringRef lookup" like this picture (of course, dont need to be that much complex, its just an exemple)

For something like this WeiDU is probably the better tool. It allows you to programmatically update strings. Alternatively, you could export the dialog.tlk as .tra file with WeiDU (or with NI via menu Edit > String table; Export > as TRA file) and use WeiDU to re-import the updated lines after making the changes with a text editor.

Example for exporting the dialog.tlk to the file "dialog-original.tra":
    weidu.exe --traify-tlk >dialog-original.tra

Example for re-importing the (modified) file "dialog-updated.tra":
    weidu.exe --make-tlk dialog-updated.tra

holy moly for the life of me, i cant figure out why this is just not working out the way i want it to

so i have a script that on a certain difficulty a certain baddie will use a certain weapon

said baddie has all 3 equipped in their attack slots,

so trying all scripts under the sun, for the life of me, i cannot make it happen so when on a higher difficulty the default weapon and the extra weapon destroy themselves and then the baddie should equip the only option left

but for whatever reason, the default weapon never destroys itself and they never equip the other ones, so whats happening here?

my script in questions is;

IF
    Difficulty(HARDEST)
    Global("ehbeet01dif","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    DestroyItem("M2D4SLAS") // Mons SmSw 2-8 Slash
    DestroyItem("ehbeet01") // Mons SmSw 2-8 Slash
    EquipMostDamagingMelee()
    SetGlobal("ehbeet01dif","GLOBAL",1)
    END

IF
    Difficulty(HARD)
    Global("ehbeet01dif","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    DestroyItem("M2D4SLAS") // Mons SmSw 2-8 Slash
    DestroyItem("ehbeet02") // Mons SmSw 2-8 Slash
    EquipMostDamagingMelee()
    SetGlobal("ehbeet01dif","GLOBAL",1)
    END

so the idea here is that on hard difficulty i want the beetle to use "ehbeet01" and on very hard i want it to use "ehbeet02" but i just cant seem to get it to work, any help would be great
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    All right.

First, why a global variable? This is all local to this one creature, and it should use a local variable. As you've written it, this script will definitely do nothing the second time you encounter an instance of this beetle.
    Or, if you're spawning in copies to test, any instances after the first that character sees. That ... has a very good chance of being the whole problem.
    jmerry wrote: »
    All right.

First, why a global variable? This is all local to this one creature, and it should use a local variable. As you've written it, this script will definitely do nothing the second time you encounter an instance of this beetle.
    Or, if you're spawning in copies to test, any instances after the first that character sees. That ... has a very good chance of being the whole problem.

the global variable is for the difficulty to be set forever, so once you encounter the beetles, and change the difficulty mid fight or leave the area and come back, it will not change and stay set

plus these beetles are the ones in the cellar in IWD in the bar you start off in

my aim here, is that based on a higher difficulty, they will use a better attack
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    OK. Then you're definitely doing it wrong. Assuming that's a script the creatures are running, the first beetle sets the difficulty variable and switches to the appropriate weapon. All other beetles see the difficulty already set, so those script blocks don't run for them and they don't switch.

Recommended fix: Make sure that's one of the creature's scripts - probably in the override slot, so it's high priority. Change the scope of the variable in both the testing condition and the setting action to "LOCALS".

Your "set forever" concern isn't a problem with local variables. The first time you encounter this particular beetle, it'll set the difficulty for that beetle. If you leave and come back later with a different difficulty setting, that beetle will still have its variable set and won't change its weapon choice.
    hokay, so i finally got it to work as intended

first i set the "difficulty" part of the script using the "area script" instead of placing it upon a creature aka; x difficulty = x global

then on the creature scripts i set it so;

if global is X then response is; so and so

and now it is 100% working as intended
    Update: NearInfinity v2.3-20230303

Changelog:
    • Improved WAV/ACM audio playback:
      • Added Play/Pause button.
      • Added display of elapsed and total playback time.
      • Added a "Properties" button for additional information about the current audio file.
    • Added a context menu to MOS and TIS resource viewer which provides information about referenced PVRZ or WED files.
    • Added native ETC1 and ETC2 texture decoding support for PVRZ files (used by Android versions of the games).
    • Added option to enable or disable confirmation of opening bookmarked games (menu Options > Confirm opening bookmarked games).
    • Fixed stuttering sound playback and potential crashes when playing back multiple sound clips simultaneously.
    • Fixed display of animated primary tiles in the Area Viewer (e.g. used for the crystal in the High Hedge interior map, or the wheel of fortune in carnival and circus tents).
    • Fixed an issue in the creature animation viewer which incorrectly applied visual effect multiple times.
    • Fixed a scrollbar-related visibility issue in the "Raw" tab of structured resources.
    • Fixed viewing and saving TOT files in original games.
    • Fixed BIFF-related issues with the GemRB demo (thanks lynx).
    • Updated library responsible for the various text editing components in NI.
  • heatcliffheatcliff Member Posts: 26
    Update: NearInfinity v2.3-20230303

Changelog:
    • Improved WAV/ACM audio playback:
      • Added Play/Pause button.
      • Added display of elapsed and total playback time.
      • Added a "Properties" button for additional information about the current audio file.
    • Added a context menu to MOS and TIS resource viewer which provides information about referenced PVRZ or WED files.
    • Added native ETC1 and ETC2 texture decoding support for PVRZ files (used by Android versions of the games).
    • Added option to enable or disable confirmation of opening bookmarked games (menu Options > Confirm opening bookmarked games).
    • Fixed stuttering sound playback and potential crashes when playing back multiple sound clips simultaneously.
    • Fixed display of animated primary tiles in the Area Viewer (e.g. used for the crystal in the High Hedge interior map, or the wheel of fortune in carnival and circus tents).
    • Fixed an issue in the creature animation viewer which incorrectly applied visual effect multiple times.
    • Fixed a scrollbar-related visibility issue in the "Raw" tab of structured resources.
    • Fixed viewing and saving TOT files in original games.
    • Fixed BIFF-related issues with the GemRB demo (thanks lynx).
    • Updated library responsible for the various text editing components in NI.

great job
  • thiagodcfthiagodcf Member Posts: 9
    thiagodcf wrote: »

For something like this WeiDU is probably the better tool. It allows you to programmatically update strings. Alternatively, you could export the dialog.tlk as .tra file with WeiDU (or with NI via menu Edit > String table; Export > as TRA file) and use WeiDU to re-import the updated lines after making the changes with a text editor.

Example for exporting the dialog.tlk to the file "dialog-original.tra":
    weidu.exe --traify-tlk >dialog-original.tra

Example for re-importing the (modified) file "dialog-updated.tra":
    weidu.exe --make-tlk dialog-updated.tra

Hi, thanks for your reply
    we have found a issue using export/import
    a lot of problems with line breaks (near infinity is the only tool working for us)
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2023
    I read not too long ago where someone reported that they recently had all of their bookmarked games disappear. Maybe it was in the SHS support thread before the forums went down? I have just had the same thing happen to me. The NI home-screen reports the following - Near Infinity: v2.3-20230303, Jave Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment, Java Version: 1.8.0_371, Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.371-b11, mixed mode), Java VM Architecture: amd64. I run NI with administrative privileges, so accessing the registry shouldn't be an issue. The Debug Console is empty.
    edited May 2023
    Sam_ wrote: »
    I read not too long ago where someone reported that they recently had all of their bookmarked games disappear. Maybe it was in the SHS support thread before the forums went down? I have just had the same thing happen to me. The NI home-screen reports the following - Near Infinity: v2.3-20230303, Jave Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment, Java Version: 1.8.0_371, Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.371-b11, mixed mode), Java VM Architecture: amd64. I run NI with administrative privileges, so accessing the registry shouldn't be an issue. The Debug Console is empty.

Yes, this is the second report about it. The common link appears to be that you both use Oracle's Java 8 and probably updated to the latest version recently.

So I've tried to reproduce this setup and noticed that the update process seems to remove the whole "Prefs" key from the registry which is used by all Java applications to store their settings. I could find a similar report via Google search which confirms my findings. I fear these settings are gone for good, unless you made a backup of this registry path recently:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs

These days I would strongly prefer to use OpenJDK over Oracle's Java version. It provides both JDK and JRE packages as well. Some time ago I fixed scaling-related display issues with newer Java versions in NI, so I would also recommend to install a more recent Java version (preferably an LTS version such as 11 or 17). Download: https://adoptium.net/temurin/releases
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 209
    Nowadays editing savegames with Shadowkeeper/EEkeeper is pretty risky.

You are supposed to use Nearinfinity, but to edit your savegame, there are a few steps you have to follow.

I would like to ask if you could make these "steps" redundant. The steps I'm talking about are written here: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/31241-beginners-guide-to-savegame-editing-with-near-infinity/
  • skorchskorch Member Posts: 4
    Yes, this is the second report about it. The common link appears to be that you both use Oracle's Java 8 and probably updated to the latest version recently.

So I've tried to reproduce this setup and noticed that the update process seems to remove the whole "Prefs" key from the registry which is used by all Java applications to store their settings.

This. Happened to me too after a recent update of Oracle's Java 8.
    Ulkesh wrote: »

You are supposed to use Nearinfinity, but to edit your savegame, there are a few steps you have to follow.

I would like to ask if you could make these "steps" redundant. The steps I'm talking about are written here: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/31241-beginners-guide-to-savegame-editing-with-near-infinity/

NI's core design for structured resources requires the steps outlined in the opening post of the thread you mentioned. That's because the GAM file structure contains several levels of substructures you have to navigate through to access NPC attributes. You could do all the same directly in the "Edit" tab, but that's not necessarily a quicker way.

I'll see if there is a way to remove at least one or more steps, but the design limits my options quite a bit.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Ulkesh wrote: »

Really? How so? I still use it regularly, while playing modded, without any issue.

(I use NI just as regularly, just for different things.)
    I have set up an alternate place for discussing anything related to Near Infinity directly on GitHub.

Feel free to ask (or answer) questions, discuss new ideas or feature requests, or have a general conversation about anything related to Near Infinity.

Link: Near Infinity Discussions
    Update: NearInfinity v2.3-20230609

Starting with this release I am also providing prepackaged installers for Windows and macOS which already include a preinstalled Java Runtime, so there is no need anymore to install it separately. A flatpak version for Linux will be available soon.

The Windows version will be installed with user privileges. It associates .key files with Near Infinity and optionally installs shortcuts in the start menu and/or on the desktop.

The macOS installer comes as a standard PKG archive and provides basic desktop integration for Near Infinity (but no .key file association).

Changelog:
    • Prepackaged Near Infinity installers are available with a preinstalled Java Runtime for:
      • Windows: Associates .key files and optionally creates startmenu and/or desktop shortcuts
      • macOS: PKG archive with basic desktop integration but no .key file association
    • Added option to remember size and position of resource child windows across a single NI session (menu Options > Remember last child frame size and position)
    • Added new command line options for controlling availability of specific features
      • Option `-no-update` for disabling "Update check" functionality and menu entries
      • Option `-no-launch-game` for hiding the "Launch game" button
    • Upgraded the "Update Check and Notification" feature to notify users of new Near Infinity releases with an improved changelog summary (and less maintenance effort for me)
    • Improved methods for opening files and URLs in associated applications on Linux and macOS platforms
    • Opcodes: Added definitions for PSTEE-specific opcodes 348, 349, 350, 351 and 377
    • Opcode 319: Fixed resource field not using the correct datatype when effect with param2=11 is loaded
    • Mass Exporter: Added option to filter resource names by literal strings or regular expressions
    • Mass Exporter: Available list of resource types to export is generated dynamically, based on the current game
    • Mass Exporter: Fixed a hardcoded character encoding issue for script comments
    • BAM Converter: Fixed two issues related to the transparent color entry in BAM V1 animations
    • PRO resources: Fixed a regression that failed to change structure size depending on selected projectile type
    • Creature Animation Browser: Modifications to character equipment (e.g. new coloring, effects or styles) should be correctly applied to the creature animation on reload
    • Minor improvements to Near Infinity application icon
    • Various internal optimizations
    Update: NearInfinity v2.3-20230610

This is a quick bugfix release which fixes a serious issue of Near Infinity not closing if it runs for the first time on your system.

Changelog:
    • Fixed an issue of Near Infinity not closing if it runs for the first time on the system
    • Fixed command line option `-no-launch-game` not disabling menu entry Options > "Allow launching games"
  • barker262barker262 Member Posts: 75
    G'day Argent 77,

I've been having trouble with some modded kits from Bardic wonders. I can't get the revised blade abilites to work as advertised. Been trying to use Nearinfinity to modify the SPCL521 and SPCL522, to either fix the behavior or just change them entirely.

As a quick overview, SPCL522 defensive spin, is supposed to hold the character inplace, prevent spell use, improve his AC by one per level, and if hit activate a reposte style attack that disarms the striker. At first level the observed behaviour is; movement unchanged, AC unchanged on the character display (including radar) however on the inventory screen it shows -10 AC to all damage types.

Ofcourse I'd love to change the ability a bit further myself, but that will come after I've fixed it with your program if at all possible. Is there a video or similar I can access to teach me how to use the it? I find the readme on the Gibberlings 3 sight of no use as the instructional screen shots bare no resemblance to the program I have access to.